Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Romantic things to do? or Youve done?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

When I was 16 my girlfriend at the time loved 'Tigger' from winnie the pooh.

For xmas/birthay (I cant recall which it was) that year I set off looking for one of those massive tigger teddys. It was way harder to track down than I thought.
    I looked in every toyshop in Cork city but they only had a tiny version. Finally I found out that one of the shops in Cork had them but, they had sold them all; however they had a sister shop in Limerick.

I asked them to hold one for me and I was getting the next bus to Limerick. There I was with a four foot teddy bear walking down the main shopping district, and being 16 I was trying to still look like a tough guy (I have now accepted that was a futile effort)

When I gave her the teddy she absolutly lit up and was like a kid at xmas. All the trouble I had gone to felt like nothing when I saw her so happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

One time my gf and I were chatting about what our "rock star demands" would be, you know like having to have an all white room or something. Anyway, she said she would demand a bowl of only orange smarties. So I got a jar and filled it with orange smarties- took me FOREVER to pick them all out and get enough for a full jar. Fecking expensive too, there's like 4 in each packet or something! Anyway, that went down a storm.

Can you be my girlfriend? But instead I want red skittles!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Can you be my girlfriend? But instead I want red skittles!

Good luck getting through my girlfriend, she's pretty tough!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Remember another thing I've done.

Bought a scrap book and filled it with various bits and pieces. For example various cinema tickets of films we went to see, mementos of our first date, little drawings of various private jokey things we had etc etc Took ages but worth it to see her wee smile.

I was loike well romantic.

Now I'm a cynical wanker. :pac: ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭LoTwan

That_Guy wrote: »
    Remember another thing I've done.

Bought a scrap book and filled it with various bits and pieces. For example various cinema tickets of films we went to see, mementos of our first date, little drawings of various private jokey things we had etc etc Took ages but worth it to see her wee smile.

I was loike well romantic.

Now I'm a cynical wanker. :pac: ;)

You may be cynical but that rosemantik potential is just hiding for now.

I am a cynic & can't remember ever doing anything romantic for someone that didn't go down like a lead balloon... But they are tales for the 'single & bitter' thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Same here, I gave up romantic gestures a long long time ago! I tried the table for two, the weekends away with the log fire, then terminal boredom sets in and you get the old "I need my space, not ready for a relationship" spiel.
    Me bitter and cynical?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Randy Shafter

Treat my girlfriend to dinner or some flowers when she least expects it. Also, on occasion I write her romantic letters. :o Is that too soppy or old fashioned these days?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

Random gifts like flower, bunch of love heart balloons etc. Had a cancy tree sent to her recently, this lovely big thing made out of the lollies she loves. But I don't do anything on Valentines out of principle:)

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lesserspottedchloe

Treat my girlfriend to dinner or some flowers when she least expects it. Also, on occasion I write her romantic letters. :oIs that too soppy or old fashioned these days?

Are you kidding me?! I don't know one girl who wouldn't swoon over this :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

one thing i learned over the years... a woman always has the last word in an arguement cos the next bit you say is the begining of a new arguement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

laylah wrote: »
    Treat my girlfriend to dinner or some flowers when she least expects it. Also, on occasion I write her romantic letters. :oIs that too soppy or old fashioned these days?

Are you kidding me?! I don't know one girl who wouldn't swoon over this :p

*raises hand* :o

I broke up with an ex over the letters and cards he was sending me, full of romantic shoite. To be fair, they were exceptionally cringey!

The odd little romantic gesture can be sweet, but I hate anything sappy or over-the-top.

That's just me though, I'm sure there are plenty of girls who would love that sort of thing!

*raises hand* :o

I broke up with an ex over the letters and cards he was sending me, full of romantic shoite.

Uh oh. I best go nab that postman before the next delivery.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Polloloca

Took an eight hour flight on a saturday, and an 8 hr flight home on monday night, and got interriogated by immigration as to why I would fly into their country only to leave two days later. It was worth it though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭cson

Am I the only man who can't understand what flowers do for the opposite sex?

I've gotten roses for different ladies down through the years and its almost always been a resounding hit with them.

Puzzles me; cos I'm like meh flowers... they look nice fair enough but they'll die in a day or two, I'd rather you bought me a few pints instead.

But no, with the laydeez flowers almost always are winning.

One of those things I'll never understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Polloloca wrote: »
    Took an eight hour flight on a saturday, and an 8 hr flight home on monday night, and got interriogated by immigration as to why I would fly into their country only to leave two days later. It was worth it though :D

ya big horndog ya:D

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mmm88

I spelt out I love u in gummy bears and put them under my fellas pillow for when he got into bed, awh good times :)

cson wrote: »
    Am I the only man who can't understand what flowers do for the opposite sex?

I've gotten roses for different ladies down through the years and its almost always been a resounding hit with them.

Puzzles me; cos I'm like meh flowers... they look nice fair enough but they'll die in a day or two, I'd rather you bought me a few pints instead.

But no, with the laydeez flowers almost always are winning.

One of those things I'll never understand.

I don't understand cut flowers. They die and when they do they are nasty. I'd rather a guy brought a t-bone steak... Now that I would enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭phoenix833

Bought a GF an iPod for valentines one year but I had all her favourite songs preloaded onto it. She loved it in fairness. I got the good stuff that night...;)

Another girl loved a certain kinda teddy bear and wanted a certain type of easter egg. I said all the easter eggs were sold out but I'd bought one already, opened it up, cut the egg in half, put said teddy bear in the middle, sealed the egg back up with melted chocolate and re wrapped it.
    That got me a few brownie points.

I've landed for surprise visits with DVD's and whatnot when they were sick after saying I couldn't or when they were stressed over study just drive up for half an hour then head off home.

Some people probably read this and go "Agh PUKE!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭swapple

LoTwan wrote: »
    I don't understand cut flowers. They die and when they do they are nasty. I'd rather a guy brought a t-bone steak... Now that I would enjoy!

Yeah I'd pick steak over flowers too!
    phoenix833 wrote: »
    Some people probably read this and go "Agh PUKE!!!"

Nah, more like "aww cute!" :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I am uber duber sappy and I'm always writing love notes and all that cringe worthy stuff!

Love candelit dinners and flowers. But any thoughtful gift or gesture is romantic I think. Doesn't have to be cliche, or expensive, just has to mean something for the couple. Last thing I bought my boyfriend was a really tiny Princess Peach figurine, accompanied with a soppy card :pac:

Just whatever works for the couple really! I was never very spoken romantic in previous relationships, if you understand. I tell my current boyfriend how much I love him and how much he means to me bla bla bla everyday, cause I know he appreciates it and likes it, unlike past boyfriends.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

swapple wrote: »

282-mother-of-god.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Out Of The Night

Flowers are a cliche but I like them. White roses and sun flowers. I don't think I have ever had anything romantic done for me. What I consider to be romantic anyway. Little things are what matters or getting a surprise for no particular reason. My ex was and is really messy and his bedroom used to drive me crazy. One night I arrived in and he had scented candles and tea lights and it was just spotless. That was nice. That was years ago. I was told recently by a man that he would like to take me out for dinner and I was to pick a place. Love that kind of thing. But when I picked a place he didn't like it. I felt guilty then because he would have been paying. Anyway the weeks passed and he didn't bother going through with his offer. Meh.

Flowers are a cliche but I like them. White roses and sun flowers. I don't think I have ever had anything romantic done for me. What I consider to be romantic anyway. Little things are what matters or getting a surprise for no particular reason. My ex was and is really messy and his bedroom used to drive me crazy. One night I arrived in and he had scented candles and tea lights and it was just spotless. That was nice. That was years ago. I was told recently by a man that he would like to take me out for dinner and I was to pick a place. Love that kind of thing. But when I picked a place he didn't like it. I felt guilty then because he would have been paying. Anyway the weeks passed and he didn't bother going through with his offer. Meh.

Meh is right. My ex was told by a judge to take me out for a candlelit dinner (long story). My friend suggested asking for the money & sending him to McDonalds with a box of matches for a happy meal! Thankfully he seems to have forgotten.

LoTwan wrote: »
    Meh is right. My ex was told by a judge to take me out for a candlelit dinner

:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

My GF liked a particular author whose books were out of print and she would take the chance to look for the books in second hand stores whenever she could.

I found and imported all books by the author as a suprise present for her.

swapple wrote: »

I had a guy bring t-bone steak last night ;) be still my beating heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭boomtown123

*puke" stuff like this never happens to me. Been brought on a few once off cinema dates...then nothing. Oh Well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭mcmacness

Was just watching tv there and a quote from Shakespeare came on and reminded me that I once got a note from my ex with it written in it "Doubt thou the stars are fire, doubt that the sun doth move, doubt truth to be a liar, but never doubt I love". Thought it was super romantic at the time (I was 16) and I'm pretty sure its from Hamlet and he was studying it for the Leaving Cert :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

I find roses tend to do the trick. When I was wooing my better half earlier this year, it worked well with her.

Advertisement