Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Romantic things to do? or Youve done?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

skinny90 wrote: »
    actually i was thinking the same...any good deals???:)

Look up the winter sports forum, some good ideas there.

I brought mine to memmingen in Germany. PM me and will send u on any details you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭OkayWhatever

Answered the door one mornin to my boyfriend standing there with a little bunch of €5 tesco flowers and 2 crossiants. For no reason whatsoever.

The whole gesture cost about 6 quid but I'm never going to forget it, even though he probably has.

It's just the little things at the random times :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

For my birthday this year my boyfriend made me a little video of the story of our first date told with Lego people and homemade 'sets'! He included loads of our little in-jokes and funny things that have happened to us and got our friends to do their own voices. Lots of effort, little expense but one massively impressed girlfriend! :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Lady von Purple

Started going out with my boyfriend a week before Valentine's Day.

I knew we were going out that night but figured it wouldn't be a big deal (It had been seven days. We'd had two dates.) but no, OH met me off my bus with a single red rose and then brought me to his place for dinner before we went for a romantic night out.

...Stunned girlfriend. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Azureus

Coming home to a fancy meal and nice wine on the table after work, with the apartment clean and the hot water on for a bath is my favourite thing that himself does for me. Just that bit of effort makes a difference.

The thing that springs to mind for me is when my boyfriend was in Fas doing his apprenticeship and made me a perfect rose out of copper in the workshop, detailed lil petals and everything. It took him ages and all the lads ripped the piss out of him for doing it cuz he's usually a typical blokey guy, but he didnt care and I absolutely loved it :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Brought her for shushi on the rough of my car at the top of a multi story carpark with a really good sunset... :)

then we got pissed and got a taxi home were i fell a sleep on the couch due to being a light weight... :pac: and she wrote all one me with black marker thankfully there are no pictures :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Brought her for shushi on the rough of my car at the top of a multi story carpark with a really good sunset... :)

then we got pissed and got a taxi home were i fell a sleep on the couch due to being a light weight... :pac: and she wrote all one me with black marker thankfully there are no pictures :D

Now that's what I call romance!! :D

PaulieC wrote: »
    Now that's what I call romance!! :D

Man people are different, what one girl regards as romantic is one thing what another person regards is another fvck that cliche **** any way never been that way and if the girl i was seeing was a bit more into that fancy romance stuff well then Id adpt its just that my self and her had been drinking red wine and smoking and a couple of splits so we were have lit any way :pac:

Man people are different, what one girl regards as romantic is one thing what another person regards is another fvck that cliche **** any way never been that way and if the girl i was seeing was a bit more into that fancy romance stuff well then Id adpt its just that my self and her had been drinking red wine and smoking and a couple of splits so we were have lit any way :pac:
    I dunno if I'm misreading your reply but I was being genuine - having a laugh and doing the simple things is what I would consider romantic - you ate nice food, watched a sunset, had a few drinks and then had a laugh - that's what it's all about imo

Most of the posts here point to similar stuff - nobody's talked about being wined and dined, taken on a holiday etc. it's all been really simple/thoughtful stuff and I like that.

PaulieC wrote: »
    I dunno if I'm misreading your reply but I was being genuine - having a laugh and doing the simple things is what I would consider romantic - you ate nice food, watched a sunset, had a few drinks and then had a laugh - that's what it's all about imo

Most of the posts here point to similar stuff - nobody's talked about being wined and dined, taken on a holiday etc. it's all been really simple/thoughtful stuff and I like that.

sorry :o

can we man hug it out ? :)

• Advertisement

sorry :o

can we man hug it out ? :)
    No worries man!

I'm not sure how to approach the hug issue - people may mock us - and being mocked on the internet is terrible :pac:

*manly handshake! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I often whinge about my bf not having a spontaneous romantic bone in his body... but he does drive across the country to be with me every single weekend and I couldn't ask for any more than that really. :D

In return, sometimes I'll have dinner nearly ready for him on a Friday evening, or maybe new jammies under his pillow... the little things!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

I was friends with a guy I had grown to really like once who claimed never to listen to lyrics of songs, to think maths was better than poetry or literature, twas something we often talked (argued :D) about, so I filled a notebook with quotes from novels and songs and things I thought were interesting or beautiful, in different coloured inks and with little drawings. I sent it in the post just before Christmas - he was shocked!

Long story short, we get together ...

then broke up :(:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

^ maybe you should have sent him a notebook filled with algorithms and theorems :p (only joking, nice story)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

^ maybe you should have sent him a notebook filled with algorithms and theorems :p (only joking, nice story)

True, twas selfish, really :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

nah, you made an effort. That's romantic

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Was out last night and my mate got a phone call from his cousin who got engaged last night.

Apparently, the chap had filled their apartment with candles and had her favourite wine out, favourite dinner cooked etc.

Really nice... but apparently the feckin' eejit had a candle directly below the curtains and nearly set the place on fire.

The romantic gesture was there I guess. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭smallBiscuit

On way home from the beers in Feb, her feet were killing her from heels, so I gave her my shoes and walked home bare foot :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

On way home from the beers in Feb, her feet were killing her from heels, so I gave her my shoes and walked home bare foot :)

Mine did the same a little while back.

Something i'd love to do,i'd told him about it once,he's planned on bringing me to do,booked a hotel too. Was trying to keep it as a surprise. Probably won't get to do it though.but it's the thought that counts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Was working a 7 day week and had to hand in college reports every Friday too, during a particularly packed & stressful 6 month internship while still working part-time! Myself and the gf at the time were finding it hard to spend time together and my boss was a dick and it was really difficult to get time off. (internship 9-5.30 mon-fri, part time job 14 hours on sat & sun about 3 counties away - living to work at it's finest :o )

Anyway, it was a nightmare. Told my gf I would try get a particular weekend off but I couldn't be sure at the time. For the the 7 days before we were due to "do something" I send her an email at 07.00am every morning without fail, of a picture hint where we were going. All of the pictures were fantastic, none of them even remotely telling of where this particular place was though. :D
    It drove her mad for the week, crazy excited. She initially thought it would be an over-night stay in some hotel in Galway on a rainy weekend before the mails started arriving.
    We spent 4 days in Krakow in a 4 star hotel at the foot of Wawel Castle, and I had pre-organised all the excursions in advance, we even had our own private taxi dude in a fancy car to bring us on a trips up the mountains on of the days. :)

Needless to say, it was an awesome trip. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

I had stayed the night at my boyfriend's house (ex boyfriend now). And he dropped me home the following afternoon. I realised I'd left my pillow at his, because I often bring it with me I love it so much.
    He drove back home, and we were texting away, when he said he was going for a shower so he'd text me afterwards. Next thing he turns up at my front door with the pillow! The journey was a half hour each way. I was so surprised, and delighted. I'll never forget that kind of effort :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Was with a girl who had a tragedy in her life. Her dad had hung himself years before we got together and she was going through mourning late. She had a really rough day on a Friday. I woke up early and drove her to work and consoled her then went to a local spa and bought her a half day session and fancy lunch.

I bought her a VHS to DVD converter for getting the family videos backed up of her dad and the family.

I use to always give her shoulder and neck rubs. If I went out without her I'd go back to hers and bring her food from Supermacs.

I brought her on two holidays where I paid for everything. Went to Vegas with her and paid for a night in a penthouse suite in The Veneitian hotel, brought her on weekend trips around Ireland. Use to always get her her favourite chocolate bar anytime I was in a shop.

I helped her mother move, clearing out the old house. Helped her sister with her final year project, carrying power generator and beds and sh!t around beaches and forests. And helped the girl herself with her PhD study going around at public events to try and get participants for her study. I gave up a high paying job in London to stay with her, because I thought it would be tough on her since she was having such a tough time, going to counselling etc.

Anyway she cheated on me, showed no remorse, claimed I was an abusive boyfriend and left me.

I no longer go as full on with things any more unfortunately but with my current girlfriend I brought her to Kilronan castle and around the West...she loves elephants, we went to water for elephants and I found out how much she liked them. So I bought her this little elephant charm thing and brought her to Dublin Zoo. I gave her the pendant thing at the elephant enclosure.

I try to make an effort and enjoy it myself. I feel ok treating myself when I'm treating somebody else.

Things that I have done-

When an ex was getting her hair cut, she was sounding really down in texts, because she was getting a completely new hairstyle. So I waited outside the hairdressers with a single rose, just to make her smile when she was finished.

On a rainy day, when I knew she'd be staying at mine and I wasn't working, I'd bring an umbrella to walk her home after work, so she wouldn't get wet.

With other girlfriends, I would surprise them with dinners (I like to think I'm a mighty good cook), their favourite icecream, whatever trinkets I might have seen and thought they'd like. For a date with another ex, I surprised her with a bottle of wine, some plastic wine glasses and a blanket, and we sat underneath the stars and cuddled, drinking wine.

What can I say? I'm a romantic and mushy guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Wompa1 wrote: »

Anyway she cheated on me, showed no remorse, claimed I was an abusive boyfriend and left me.

Hard luck there Wompa but fair play to you for not letting your previous experience ruin your current relationship :), best of luck with it.

My own story is just a small one, but it changed the relationship from 'see how it goes' to 'he's deadly' :D. I had been seeing my boyfriend for just two/three weeks. I was studying at the time and when I finished my exams, he took me out to dinner which was lovely. But he also gave me a small wrapped parcel, inside was To Kill a Mockingbird. The fact that he remembered that it was a book I'd never read was so sweet. In the meantime he's brought me to lovely places and given me lovely presents, but I always remember that first gift with a particular fondness.

His sense of humour is deadly too :), rips the pee out of me on a daily basis

EDIT : Brilliant thread by the way, some lovely stories!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Things that I have done-

When an ex was getting her hair cut, she was sounding really down in texts, because she was getting a completely new hairstyle. So I waited outside the hairdressers with a single rose, just to make her smile when she was finished.

On a rainy day, when I knew she'd be staying at mine and I wasn't working, I'd bring an umbrella to walk her home after work, so she wouldn't get wet.

With other girlfriends, I would surprise them with dinners (I like to think I'm a mighty good cook), their favourite icecream, whatever trinkets I might have seen and thought they'd like. For a date with another ex, I surprised her with a bottle of wine, some plastic wine glasses and a blanket, and we sat underneath the stars and cuddled, drinking wine.

Uhhh, are you single?
    :pac:

Sauve wrote: »
    Things that I have done-

Uhhh, are you single?
    :pac:

Yup, I am. Unfortunately. Ha.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Two weeks ago I was challenged to write a Petrarchan sonnet in a pub in Limerick, about 15 minutes before closing time. I started writing about one of the girls I was drinking with and managed to get it finished before she left, so she was able to read it in the taxi afterwards.

I contacted her a few days later to let her know I meant what I said in the poem, and that I'd been meaning to say it for ages. We ended up kissing in the same pub over the weekend. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

my ex used to enjoy walking by the river in the evenings. on valentines day I promised I'd see her later that night, but I had set up a blanket, food, flowers and about 300 tea light candles in a little secret cove off the beaten track and surprised her with that. we stayed and watched the sunset. its the little things though that get them. I always try text here in the morning and say she's beautiful. that relationship didn't last and I've been emotionally crippled since, too the point that my new relationships have been affected. I'm not the romantic guy I used to be, but this thread makes me want to be better to the lady who's special to me. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    my ex used to enjoy walking by the river in the evenings. on valentines day I promised I'd see her later that night, but I had set up a blanket, food, flowers and about 300 tea light candles in a little secret cove off the beaten track and surprised her with that. we stayed and watched the sunset. its the little things though that get them. I always try text here in the morning and say she's beautiful. that relationship didn't last and I've been emotionally crippled since, too the point that my new relationships have been affected. I'm not the romantic guy I used to be, but this thread makes me want to be better to the lady who's special to me. :o

Awwww!

It's so hard to read other people sometimes. That's why you always hear of break ups happening 'out of the blue'. And when you've been through a hard time in a relationship, it's very difficult to tell who is and who isn't genuine, you start to doubt your own intuition so to speak. It's not easy, but you have to believe in yourself, and believe that the way you're doing things is the right way! There's no such thing as the 'wrong way', only other people's opinions! (and other people's opinions usually suck :pac:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭niamhx

Haha I bet I was a sight, all dressed up in my size 10 shoes. Fun night :)

Fab thread ! SB your going to have to up your game.

Advertisement