Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory

Options
  • 24-10-2011 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

Like the Mellon Collie thread I just started, the realisation that this album is now eleven years of age (having been released on 24/10/2000) has also made me feel old :).
    Despite my almost total dislike for what the band has done since then bar a couple of songs off Meteora, the Reanimation remix album and What I've Done off Minutes to Midnight, this album remains a solid slab of musical goodness as far as I'm concerned. In fact, I'd go as far as to say it's one of the best debut albums ever.

So am I alone in my opinion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I liked Thousand Suns though.

Reanimation songs like Pushing Me Away were incredibly good though it must be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Shreddingblood

Whopper album. Hated everything they've done since.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

don't know how true this story is but when they presented the album to the record company they were told to remove a lot of the guitar solo's

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Overheal wrote: »
    Reanimation songs like Pushing Me Away were incredibly good though it must be said.
    Sadly a lot of metal fans seem to treat electronic music as something to be hated on principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

This is a really great album but I think Meteora is a pretty good one too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I've got a soft spot for this one and Meteora. I've always class them as "summer albums". Big hits during the summer and easily forgotten about soon afterwards. My housemate is a massive Linkin Park head, so I still find myself enjoying these albums from time to time. Never actually heard anything after Meteora though... Just never really bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

Sorry can't resist:

Abysmal band, I know if my Take That loving sister enjoys their music then something is probably amiss.....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Not really a fan of Linkin Park any more. They were one of the bands I'd listen to as I started listening to more rock/metal kind of music, but as I progressed they more or less faded away entirely. Still, this was an enjoyable album, and it's almost hard to believe it's 11 years old already.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

That is genuinely depressing.

I'm old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

probably the first "metal" album that I bought, so I guess I owe it to the album for starting me on my journey. They turned proper gack after this one though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Remember this coming out. I went to a music/electrical store in Stuttgart called Lerche, and could not understand why the guy working there was trying to give me an album called Hybrid Theory by a band called Linkin Park when I asked for the new album from the band called Hybrid Theory. I was 100% sure he was trying to give me the wrong band as only six months earlier I had picked up a cool EP in the same store by a band called Hybrid Theory.

Turned out that the band changed their name from Hybrid Theory to Linkin Park between the EP and the debut album but kept their original name to use as the title of the first album.:D

It's an album, that still sounds well today, and it still stands head and shoulders above anything the band released after it although I do have a soft spot for Meteora.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Meteora was actually the first LP record I got myself, so I'll always have more of a soft spot for that one. Nonetheless, both those albums are great (though not free of filler). Must thank Linkin Park and System for getting me into metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

I agree with you in saying that HT is probably their best work but,
    Malice wrote: »
    In fact, I'd go as far as to say it's one of the best debut albums ever.

That's maybe pushing it a bit :p

That's maybe pushing it a bit :p
    How so? It's difficult to argue one way or the other without boiling it down to opinion. I don't know what method can be used to objectively measure album quality. After all, sales figures can be misleading especially given how heavily marketed Linkin Park were.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

jpm4 wrote: »
    Abysmal band, I know if my Take That loving sister enjoys their music then something is probably amiss.....

That's just it though. They were indeed a pop-metal boyband, but they were good fun. When they first appeared on the scene I thought they sounded like a rocked up Savage Garden.

jpm4 wrote: »
    Sorry can't resist:
    I'd never seen that video before. It's very accurate :).

Malice wrote: »
    I'd never seen that video before. It's very accurate :).

Sure is....."I'm gonna rap a little here". Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,810 ✭✭✭✭Basq

God.. an album that brings back major memories.

'Meteora' was a decent little sophomore album.

'Faint' being one of my favourite tracks from them:

I will say one thing though: they aren't that great Live.

It's not really related but I thought would give Linkin Park another go and checkout some of their vids. Still think they are terrible but in fairness I can see why they were big. Anyways, I found this quote in a Linkin Park youtube comment which had me in stitches:
    u say Justin Bieber,I say Skillet

u say Bruno Mars, I say Breaking Benjamin

u say Lady Gaga, I say Evanescence

u say Miley Cyrus, I say Slipknot

u say T-Pain, I say Three Days Grace

u say Rebecca Black, I say Linkin Park

u say Jonas Brother, I say Green Day

u say Flowers, I say Puddle of Mudd

92% of teens have turned to pop and hip-hop.If you are part of the 8% that still listens to real music, copy and paste this message to 5 other videos. DON'T LET ROCK DIE

What? Skillet and Breaking Benjamin? I am officially old and need to invest in a pipe and pair of slippers.....

• Advertisement

If you're into that sort of thing, BB and Skillet are considered bands. My last boss made us listen to his christian music station and skillet was a regular feature. In fairness I've heard worse.

My boss wasn't that thrilled that I held the contention the song sings about telling people to wait for someone to come and pull them out of their mess, rather than take care of themselves.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

imo, rubbish band and rubbish albun. Cliched angsty lyrics, samey sound in every song, and absolutely nothing origninal about them. It is somewhat bewildering that thhe debut is 11 years old, but in retrospect it is worse now than it was then as is much of the music that was popular then (limp, blink, sum 42, opm... Basically awful crap/

When you consider guerrilla, rings around the world, kid a, amnesiac, gestamanwerk, yankee hotel foxtrot and dozens of more albums i cant be bothered to name were released late 99-01 it should be noted how dull this album really is.

I do remember its release though

Weepsie wrote: »
    absolutely nothing origninal about them
    So who did they rip off then?
    Weepsie wrote:
    When you consider guerrilla, rings around the world, kid a, amnesiac, gestamanwerk, yankee hotel foxtrot and dozens of more albums i cant be bothered to name were released late 99-01 it should be noted how dull this album really is.
    You've just named albums by Super Furry Animals, Wilco and Radiohead (Gestamanwerk I've never heard of). None of those bands are or were playing music in the same genre as Linkin Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

I've quite liked everything they've done to date but especially this album. Saw them live in '08 in the RDS and it's probably the best gig I've ever been to.

Overheal wrote: »
    they aren't that great Live.
    Voltwad wrote: »
    Saw them live in '08 in the RDS and it's probably the best gig I've ever been to.

I love the way Boards can so easily bring out opposing opinions. It'd be even funnier if Voltwad and Overheal had been at the same gig :).

I just watch their performances on Palladia and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Love Hybrid Theory - like some other posters, was my first intro into rock-metal. Still like songs from Reanimation and Meteora. All kinda fell apart when they realised they could write soundtracks (i.e. the same songs for all Transformers movies).

Seen them twice live though and really enjoyed both!

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 30,370 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Hybrid Theory was the first rock-metal album I bought. So if it wasn't for Linkin Park I probably would still be listening pop or something.

I loved Meteora too and liked a handful of songs off Minutes to Midnight. But I absolutely hated the last album.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,388 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Hybrid Theory is a great album. I always said HT and Metoera was when linkin Park was a great band. But after that they just lost it. All their stupid remix crap, and their other albums just sucked. I wish they could go back to that period.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Lets not kid ourselves,Hybrid Theory is essentially a pop album with a few geetars thrown in.I did buy the album way back when but gave it away within two weeks.Big catchy,sing-along cheesey crap is what it is.

Advertisement