Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Am I ripped off?fake nct...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

Can we wait for verification of the NCT cert? Just go online now and check it now!! Put us out of our misery...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭michelleans

CiniO wrote: »
    I still can't understands why OP didn't check it online.
    It would take only few minutes to try to book a NCT test online.
    If it can be booked, it means NCT disc is fake.
    If it can't and website says "car is not liable for inspection" it means disc is fine.

OP is making horror stories for last 2 days, but didn't even bother checking it the easiest way, which was already proposed here.

I missed this part actually...i checked it and here what it says

No existing booking found. To proceed, a new booking needs to be scheduled.
    Registration ID : xxxxxxx
    Make: xxxxxx
    Model: xxxxx
    Year : xxxx
    Registration Date : 10/12/2003
    Test Centre : xxxxxx
    Booking Status : Booking With No Confirmation Letter
    Appointment Date : 10 June 2011
    Appointment Time : 18:20
    Appointment Email :
    Service Type : Periodic Inspection
    New Service Type : Periodic Inspection

I agree to the terms and conditions.

I hide the car's details just in case...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭guil

Well, every time I get stopped (well, waved through after cursory glance at discs) no Gard has ever checked any database.
    Also, judging by the track-record of the Irish government and computers, I wouldn't be too worried about their electronic super-sleuthing abilities.
    I will, of course, obtain my NCT via legitimate means, but a standard road check will wave you through 99% of the time.
    This just to anyone actually considering this: it would be mental to do that for the sake of a few quid, as well as probably getting you into all sorts of hot water in case of an accident.
    But as far as Gardai having access to a sort of super-duper database, well, maybe a few cars are equipped with it, but most of the time it's just a visual check.
    ANPR probably much more efficient, but doubt I'll see that any time soon out rural.
    the only time i have ever witnessed something like it was in 2004, i was only driving a week or so and was stpped by a paddy wagon in a petrol station, while 1 guard was talking to me the other gave my car reg over the radio and i heard the reply stating i was the registered owner, it was insured with x insurance company in my name and it was taxed and nct'd

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I missed this part actually...i checked it and here what it says

No existing booking found. To proceed, a new booking needs to be scheduled.
    Registration ID : xxxxxxx
    Make: xxxxxx
    Model: xxxxx
    Year : xxxx
    Registration Date : 10/12/2003
    Test Centre : xxxxxx
    Booking Status : Booking With No Confirmation Letter
    Appointment Date : 10 June 2011
    Appointment Time : 18:20
    Appointment Email :
    Service Type : Periodic Inspection
    New Service Type : Periodic Inspection

I agree to the terms and conditions.

I hide the car's details just in case...

Yeap.
    It looks like your car doesn't have a valid NCT at the moment, so most likely your disc is fake.

CiniO wrote: »
    Yeap.
    It looks like your car doesn't have a valid NCT at the moment, so most likely your disc is fake.

confirmed today bu NCT customer service...going to garda now...

Dear

Thank you for your recent enquiry. Unfortunately, under the Data Protection Act we are precluded from issuing National Car Test information as according to the National Vehicle Data File you were not the registered owner at the time of testing. Notwithstanding this I can confirm that vehicle registration number xxxxxxx is not currently in test.

If you should have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact me

Kind regards

Jade Hickey

Customer Services Dept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I rang 'em up to check mine, as it didn't show up as valid on the MotorCheck, but the NCTS person told me that it was indeed, valid.

Sorry to hear yours is fake though :( Best of luck chasing this down.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

sorry to hear about your trouble ,
    i travel around for my job and i use donedeal a lot .. theres a few common places that pop up regurally in photos on the site with various cars for sale .
    theres a common feel to these adds ,,very little info ,long nct,s ,bargain prices ,a mobile contact and dare i say it not a very common irish name ."sorry but i can back this up if you want".
    im my area ardee in co louth has 3 or 4 particular houses and one garage that keeps poping up ,,each add has a different moblie number on it.
    i was allways wondering what the scam was your case has shown a light on that .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

[QUOTE=michelleans;75148361
    Thank you for your recent enquiry. Unfortunately, under the Data Protection Act we are precluded from issuing National Car Test information as according to the National Vehicle Data File you were not the registered owner at the time of testing. Notwithstanding this I can confirm that vehicle registration number xxxxxxx is not currently in test.
    [/QUOTE]

wow, that translates as "we are not allowed to tell you if your car does or does not have an NCT, but your car doesn't have an NCT".
    Way to tie themselves up in legal knots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

I read "We cant tell you anything about the period you did not own the car. However, now that you do own the car we can tell you its current status". Makes sense to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭SIBERIA

You have been ripped off. Happened to someone i know, bloke brought him into his house for soup and sandwiches. Sold him the car ..went to a friends garage the next day two halves of two different cars (badly) welded together. Garda said nothing they can do as its a private sale, said its happening everyday. He knocked on your mans door and was told to **** off and door slammed in his face.

If it was me i would have drove the car into his sitting room :)

Do chase it up about the nct though. I'm sure that's 100% fraud maybe you can sue for that.

• Advertisement

**Update**

I went to Garda yesterday and they checked the car's plate number and they said the car was sold through a garage in Dublin :confused: that makes things little interesting so this man who sold me the car either bought from this garage and not registered and sold to me or garage made up an fake NCT...

Next step

Garda here in Limerick told me to fax the fake nct, mail i received from nct center and ownership form to Garda in Dublin and he said they will make a visit to the garage...

If I find this man, I will ask for a refund or going to sue him seems it is a big fraud against state laws..anyway will keep updating this forum going forward...

Thank you guys for all your help..

• Registered Users Posts: 81,705 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is it a proper looking NCT, ie it has a hologram and a watermark on the disc or it it just a crappy colour photocopy of one. If it's the real deal paper then someone either inside or outside the NCT centre is making discs on the paper and it's likely to be a Garda investigation as to how the paper was obtained.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

**Update**

I went to Garda yesterday and they checked the car's plate number and they said the car was sold through a garage in Dublin :confused: that makes things little interesting so this man who sold me the car either bought from this garage and not registered and sold to me or garage made up an fake NCT...

Next step

Garda here in Limerick told me to fax the fake nct, mail i received from nct center and ownership form to Garda in Dublin and he said they will make a visit to the garage...

If I find this man, I will ask for a refund or going to sue him seems it is a big fraud against state laws..anyway will keep updating this forum going forward...

Thank you guys for all your help..

If he was driving it, the insurance companies (if he didn't just scan a disc as well) will have his details...he didn't leave his disc in the car by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

If it takes the owner of the car that long to find out if NCT is genuine, how do the cops stand a chance by the roadside?
    Considering to get my next NCT from Epson.

Camera's now days just type in the plate and they know everything. Ever look at roadwars. Yes i know this is not the uk but surely we cant be that stupid and far behind not to have software/hardware like the rest of the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Can you prove whether the seller or the dealer faked the disk?

Can you prove that the seller knew the disk was fake?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 TimCarGuy

hi, can you give us the make and model of the car....i know of one guy who is buying cars and faking the NCT cert and selling them on. I am sure its illegal and immoral. Can you describe the person you baught the car from.

Can you describe the guy who sold you the car? i.e. any distinguishing features? what make model of car did you buy?

Its both Illegal, Immoral and down right dangerous to so what this person has done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Please don't provide identifying information about the seller unless you can absolutely prove that they're the ones guilty of faking the disk.

Also, if this is liable to go legal, better not to identify them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

TimCarGuy wrote: »
    hi, can you give us the make and model of the car....i know of one guy who is buying cars and faking the NCT cert and selling them on.
    One guy? I've met loads.

From my own experiences it would appear this is widespread in the EE community.

It seems to be a mechanism for making quick cash.....buy a car with a known problem i.e. very chep money...fake the NCT cert and Tax Disc and sell on to an unsuspecting buyer. making a profit owing to the apparent car being in good mechanical order and taxed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 electrizer_33

every time i buy a car i make a photo of the guy's id who wants to sell it and make him write a receipt.
    everybody who sells the car that is not road worthiness has done a crime.
    u can find more in citizens info

hi all;

thank you for the comments and advises, well here is the full story what happened recently...

i reported this to garda and they told me to call the garda dublin first and then fax the documents to dublin when i called garda in dublin they said they cannot get the case from me and garda in limerick needs to fax them...so went back to garda and another gard said yes we should fax it and they told me whoever told me to fax it previously not done his job however they cannot do anything as the guy who told me to fax it needs to assign the case to dublin!!!:mad: so got this gards shift and called numerous times couldnt catch him and in the end went in 3rd time to garda and another one finally!!took the case and ownership and told me its better to get rid off the car rather than wait&see...so in the end gards werent very helpful...however saying that last one told me he will fax it and someone from dublin will contact me with the case number and such and after 2 weeks wait no phone call so called dublin they gave another number said call this number they are the one assigning cases:mad: so called but due to weekend they did not answer so...thats the garda side of the story...

as 2nd garda told me to get rid off the car i advertised the call as no nct and no tax, 1 week later as of today sold the car with loss of 200euros, i told the buyer the story with the car and told him what needs to be done etc so that was the end...and still waiting a call from gards....

once again thanking you all...was a bad experience however good lesson that learnt from this....

Can you describe the guy who sold you the car? i.e. any distinguishing features? what make model of car did you buy?

Its both Illegal, Immoral and down right dangerous to so what this person has done.

well he looked like an american actor..kinda like a joker in batman or sth...i wont give the name who he looked like... wont also give the make and model of the car due to confidentiality etc...was bought in dublin tallaght

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

An Garda Siochana not being very helpful to a victim of crime, absolutely no surprises there. Having said that I'm not going to tar them all with the one brush, there are some absolutely fantastic members on the force who cant do enough for you in such situations. As an organisation they would want a good shake up though.

Considering not only that the car was not NCT'd when you bought it but injector trouble had materialised since (which I'm guessing will be expensive to remedy) you did very well to only drop 200 quid. I'm guessing the car is quite old and of low value?

I suppose you can draw a line on the sand now and see this as closure. It would seem that you were totally honest with the buyer and told him exactly whats what with the car. It would seem you can now wash your hands of the whole episode and chalk it down as a nasty experience that could happen to the best of us?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

i know of one guy who is buying cars and faking the NCT cert and selling them on. I am sure its illegal and immoral.

Not only illegal and immoral but really f**king stupid if you ask me. Do it once and I reckon it would be somewhere in or around the 50/50 mark whether you would get away with it or not. But make a career or even a sideline out of it and you will surely get what you deserve sooner or later?

Maybe its just me being naive that will end up leaving you in seriously hot water if you make any sort of career or even sideline out of it to any great extent. A car leaves a considerable paper trail. Call a spade a spade but I reckon theres surely more lucrative crimes out there to choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

.... so got this gards shift and called numerous times couldnt catch him and in the end went in 3rd time to garda and another one finally!!took the case and ownership and told me its better to get rid off the car rather than wait&see...so in the end gards werent very helpful.....
    That's disgraceful! "get rid of the car rather than wait and see" :eek:

An Garda Siochana not being very helpful to a victim of crime, absolutely no surprises there. Having said that I'm not going to tar them all with the one brush, there are some absolutely fantastic members on the force who cant do enough for you in such situations. As an organisation they would want a good shake up though.

Considering not only that the car was not NCT'd when you bought it but injector trouble had materialised since (which I'm guessing will be expensive to remedy) you did very well to only drop 200 quid. I'm guessing the car is quite old and of low value?

I suppose you can draw a line on the sand now and see this as closure. It would seem that you were totally honest with the buyer and told him exactly whats what with the car. It would seem you can now wash your hands of the whole episode and chalk it down as a nasty experience that could happen to the best of us?

You are absolutely right, Garda needs some change...I would have imagined they would get the describtion of this guy and they know where the car was purchased from their system(auction in dublin) and i assume that this guy will go there again and id send a civil dresssed garda and look for him even once a month or sth i mean id think many ways to catch this guy..im misleaded but they shoul stop this guy or network before many people falls in this trap..

also one more thing i dont understand why this auction place handed the ownership for to this guy, they should have taken his address or etc and send to department of transport themselves rather they handed him :confused:...

yes, i told the guy the story it seems he had same car written off, scraped so he will get the pieces from that one and put into this one..i told emissions front bearing, rack, pretty much everything...

you are right..i put this behind me and draw a line and all i can do is learn a lesson from this and either buy from a dealer next time or take everything into consideration...suspicious of everything and ask for an id and address next time...

Advertisement