Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Am I ripped off?fake nct...

Options
  • 24-10-2011 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hi all;

Had bought a car on donedeal 2 months ago with 2 year nct on it there was a problem with the car took the my mechanic and he was checking his systems and he told me that the nct is fake on the car :( i tried the guy who i bough from but mobile turned off no response..it seems injectors are faulty and also bearing at the front...can anyone advise what should i do?report to garda or?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Was it a private sale? If so it will be hard get a refund etc on the car but I'd still report the fake nct to the Gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭michelleans

Was it a private sale? If so it will be hard get a refund etc on the car but I'd still report the fake nct to the Gardai.

it was a private sale off donedeal :( not sure how i can get refund back i wonder if donedeal people can help somehow? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

how do you know its fake? have you contacted the nct to confirm that it is?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

If private sale the injectors are your problem sadly.
    But the fake NCT is more serious, the seller should be done for fraud.
    But I'd say he's long since changed his name, phone, number, etc...
    Was the car advertised under a mobile number? Did you meet seller in a car park, petrol station, hotel, etc...?
    Then I guess the seller bought a SIM pack, used it to offload a couple of (dodgy) cars and has long since thrown it away.

sean1141 wrote: »
    how do you know its fake? have you contacted the nct to confirm that it is?

No, i sent them an email but my mechanic checked and he also compared two nct discs and it seems the one i have on my car bit dodgy, he checked off the system from his computer and it seems it failed in july due to emissions and steering wheel :(

• Advertisement

If private sale the injectors are your problem sadly.
    But the fake NCT is more serious, the seller should be done for fraud.
    But I'd say he's long since changed his name, phone, number, etc...
    Was the car advertised under a mobile number? Did you meet seller in a car park, petrol station, hotel, etc...?
    Then I guess the seller bought a SIM pack, used it to offload a couple of (dodgy) cars and has long since thrown it away.

this is what we think, but we had met in fron of the square in Tallaght so once i get official paper from NCT, I am going directly to Gardai they might get the details from the square such as cctv images and i had found the car on web so hopefully will make out something from there...ip address and such...however not sure if i can get my money back which is my main concern now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭mondeo

this is what we think, but we had met in fron of the square in Tallaght so once i get official paper from NCT, I am going directly to Gardai they might get the details from the square such as cctv images and i had found the car on web so hopefully will make out something from there...ip address and such...however not sure if i can get my money back which is my main concern now :(

Donedeal will have record of his debit/visa card that was used to pay for the add.

Also the Revenue will have his details as he use to own the car after all. There is no real issue finding out who he is once the Gardai are involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

No, i sent them an email but my mechanic checked and he also compared two nct discs and it seems the one i have on my car bit dodgy, he checked off the system from his computer and it seems it failed in july due to emissions and steering wheel :(

You should ring them much quicker then sending an email and they can they can tell you straight away when it is due!
    Phone lo-call:
    1890 412 413
    or: +353 (0) 1 413 5992
    mondeo wrote: »
    Donedeal will have record of his debit/visa card that was used to pay for the add.

Also the Revenue will have his details as he use to own the car after all. There is no real issue finding out who he is once the Gardai are involved.

No they might not, if he used his pre-payed mobile with the dodgy sim in it, also he could of topped this up with pre-purchased top up.

If the car wasn't in his name they could find it hard to trace him

But lets all wait and see is it forged rather then saying it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭oregano

Even quicker way to find out. Have the Reg Cert in front of you, and go onto www.ncts.ie. Try to book the car in. If it tells you the car cannot be booked in, your NCT is valid.

ronaneire wrote: »
    You should ring them much quicker then sending an email and they can they can tell you straight away when it is due!
    Phone lo-call:
    1890 412 413

No they might not, if he used his pre-payed mobile with the dodgy sim in it, also he could of topped this up with pre-purchased top up.

If the car wasn't in his name they could find it hard to trace him

But lets all wait and see is it forged rather then saying it is!

Thanks all, I will ring NCT center first thing in the morning and find out when the car is due for NCT and will post here the findings, if it is fake right after work, I will report this to Garda. My main concern is to be able to get my money back and have the scumbag to be locked up to prevent harming other people. Having said that will find this out tomorrow...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

ronaneire wrote: »
    Phone lo-call: 1890 412 413

OMG.
    I was looking for that number for a long while one time, without joy.

Thanks for that.
    It's very handy as otherwise you can't book NCT while you are abroad.

he checked off the system from his computer and it seems it failed in july due to emissions and steering wheel :(
    how has your mechanic access to nct records?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Thanks all, I will ring NCT center first thing in the morning and find out when the car is due for NCT and will post here the findings, if it is fake right after work, I will report this to Garda. My main concern is to be able to get my money back and have the scumbag to be locked up to prevent harming other people. Having said that will find this out tomorrow...

I doubt you'll see any money back unless your very lucky and the chances of the person going to jail are as good as you getting any money back.
    sean1141 wrote: »

Motorcheck/cartell account

Del2005 wrote: »

Motorcheck/cartell account

would they tell what it failed on do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

IMO the fake NCT is the only issue here, unfortunately even a genuine seller wouldn't be responsible for the injectors or wheels bearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Yes definitely just the NCT.. but criminal to say the least.

So difficult to find trustworthy and honest sellers these days :mad:

Hi all;

Just an update - I called NCT center from the number that ronaneire provided (Thank you for that) and they escalated the case to certification department and will let me know the outcome.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by michelleans View Post
    he checked off the system from his computer and it seems it failed in july due to emissions and steering wheel

I dont know thats what he told me, he put on a machine and car reported numerous errors but he said the car cannot pass NCT with these values..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Hi all;

Just an update - I called NCT center from the number that ronaneire provided (Thank you for that) and they escalated the case to certification department and will let me know the outcome.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by michelleans View Post
    he checked off the system from his computer and it seems it failed in july due to emissions and steering wheel

I dont know thats what he told me, he put on a machine and car reported numerous errors but he said the car cannot pass NCT with these values..

These errors may have come on after the car it's previous test.

If it takes the owner of the car that long to find out if NCT is genuine, how do the cops stand a chance by the roadside?
    Considering to get my next NCT from Epson.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If it takes the owner of the car that long to find out if NCT is genuine, how do the cops stand a chance by the roadside?

When I was buying my last car I knew the NCT was valid in the yard, the dealer ran a Motorcheck on it. Goes to show the value of spending €30 extra on the car.

I'm sure the Gardaí have quicker access then a 2nd hand car dealer has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭guil

i'm sure they have access to a database similar to what they use for insurance

Del2005 wrote: »
    When I was buying my last car I knew the NCT was valid in the yard, the dealer ran a Motorcheck on it. Goes to show the value of spending €30 extra on the car.

I'm sure the Gardaí have quicker access then a 2nd hand car dealer has.

I am so regret now for not doing this beforehand:( also so annoyed to myself...:mad: but sure cannot go back and spend time on "what if"s so hopefully gardai will find this guy somehow, i contacted donedeal and they will provide full support to gardai once they contact to them; hope he used his own or friends laptop so that can be identified via an ip address or tracker...

guil wrote: »
    i'm sure they have access to a database similar to what they use for insurance

Well, every time I get stopped (well, waved through after cursory glance at discs) no Gard has ever checked any database.
    Also, judging by the track-record of the Irish government and computers, I wouldn't be too worried about their electronic super-sleuthing abilities.
    I will, of course, obtain my NCT via legitimate means, but a standard road check will wave you through 99% of the time.
    This just to anyone actually considering this: it would be mental to do that for the sake of a few quid, as well as probably getting you into all sorts of hot water in case of an accident.
    But as far as Gardai having access to a sort of super-duper database, well, maybe a few cars are equipped with it, but most of the time it's just a visual check.
    ANPR probably much more efficient, but doubt I'll see that any time soon out rural.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,296 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Have you got confirmation yet that the test is definitely fake?

I wouldnt be going on the word of a garage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

mickdw wrote: »
    Have you got confirmation yet that the test is definitely fake?

I wouldnt be going on the word of a garage.

Op dont say if it is fake.. I cannot understand why the Nct helpline cannot confirm this...

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

I've seen different but genuine versions of the NCT cert - my car and OH's car! Thought myself one looked dodgy but then saw it other places too. Don't know if it was a type they switched to for a while or maybe it was issued only in some centres.

I am so regret now for not doing this beforehand:( also so annoyed to myself...:mad: but sure cannot go back and spend time on "what if"s so hopefully gardai will find this guy somehow, i contacted donedeal and they will provide full support to gardai once they contact to them; hope he used his own or friends laptop so that can be identified via an ip address or tracker...

It's not about whose laptop was it, but where is was used.
    If he used it in some public wifi (like airport or mcdonalds) you can generally forget about tracing anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭oregano

The printer in Fonthill NCT often leaves a run of black ink down the side of the cert and disc. The one in Naas uses a smaller font than Greenhills.

OP, Get the Gardai involved by all means, but ensure that it is a fraudulent disc first... Gardai will get on to the last owner, see who they disposed the vehicle to, etc etc.

I still can't understands why OP didn't check it online.
    It would take only few minutes to try to book a NCT test online.
    If it can be booked, it means NCT disc is fake.
    If it can't and website says "car is not liable for inspection" it means disc is fine.

OP is making horror stories for last 2 days, but didn't even bother checking it the easiest way, which was already proposed here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

CiniO wrote: »
    I still can't understands why OP didn't check it online.
    It would take only few minutes to try to book a NCT test online.
    If it can be booked, it means NCT disc is fake.
    If it can't and website says "car is not liable for inspection" it means disc is fine.

OP is making horror stories for last 2 days, but didn't even bother checking it the easiest way, which was already proposed here.

My thoughts exactly..

Advertisement