Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Videos of Feats of Strength and Strength Sporting performances.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

The Guvnor wrote: »
    I think in the Olympics the lifters play safe unless pushed.

Kinda true. Tactics do play role but lifting 13kg less than your best has nothing to do with that. Olympics are tested, something tells me the Ukraine Nationals aren't. It looks like he came under 105 in that comp too so it's not even weight loss that's affected him.
    DylanJM wrote:
    Looking back, your right it was pretty good. I was just disappointed with it after watching the amazing 94's and missing out on Akkaev, Klokov and Aramnau.

This Oleksiy fella is actually pretty awesome

Similar story to the 85's. Very competitive but I was still dissappointed by the overall level with the big guns out. Any of the other 3 could have won it with their openers.

Olympic champion and world record holder as a junior.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Scuba - iirc a lot of the russian mens team pulled out of the Olympics due to injury or as some might say mis-timing..

Ilya Illin how good do you think he is and can he mix it with the 105's at a reasonable level?

Scuba - iirc a lot of the russian mens team pulled out of the Olympics due to injury or as some might say mis-timing..

Ilya Illin how good do you think he is and can he mix it with the 105's at a reasonable level?

2 pulled out. Just Akkaev and Klokov. Drugs or injuries, it doesn't really matter now.

Ilin, who knows. Depends on how much he gets from moving up, if and how long any or all of Klokov, Akkaev and Aramnau return for? How good can Bedzanyan get between now and Rio? Will anyone else emerge? And most importantly could he beat Pat Mendes at 105?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

some of the most impressive lifting I've seen in a while - still only 19....

• Advertisement

Scuba - I meant how good can he be even as a sub 94kg lifter.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Are any of yas following this lad? He's dying for sponsorship, but something tells me that since he's posted vids of himself yapping about his roid usage, it's not gonna happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

He's still only 21 or 22? Doubt if steroids would put off some sponsors like. Think it's more to do with the fact that there's less and less money in PLing. Less and less money in strength sports generally.

People get more admiration, fame and sponsorship for having visible abs and nice hair then they get for being hoooge and fuhken awesome.

Scuba - I meant how good can he be even as a sub 94kg lifter.

Em maybe a multiple Olympic and World champion :pac:

• Advertisement

Scuba Ste wrote: »
    Em maybe a multiple Olympic and World champion :pac:

I agree but Colin Bryce was saying could he mix it at sub 94 in terms of weight lifted with the heavier guys?

Could we see him C&J 250? He is at or just over 240 in training.

I'd like to see him stay sub 94 and win 4 gold medals but always a hard task just ask poor Dimas in Athens.

I agree but Colin Bryce was saying could he mix it at sub 94 in terms of weight lifted with the heavier guys?

Could we see him C&J 250? He is at or just over 240 in training.

I'd like to see him stay sub 94 and win 4 gold medals but always a hard task just ask poor Dimas in Athens.

In my opinion not a chance. If the big lifters had been in London it wouldn't even be a question. Ilin's WR total of 418 is 18kg below the 105 record. While his C&J is close to the 105's his snatch isn't.

His 240 wasn't at 94kg and wasn't tested so in competition I don't think you'll ever see 240. It took 10 years to beat 232, he's not gonna add 7kg on top of that in 4-8 years. He will never C&J 250. None of the big 105's C&J 250. Zakharevich did 250.5 at 110 in '88. Very few pre 92 records have been broken.

No one's ever won 4 golds not even the best ever. It's 12 years as the best in a sport that isn't known for athletes with long careers. Winning a third isn't nailed on either. There are other lifters, the two Ivanovs, that might have something to say about that.

You also need the circumstances to break a WR, usually meaning your going toe to toe with another lifter or you've won it your second attempt. Those circumstances may never happen again. Totally guessing I'd say you may see 189/235 max from Ilin. Which would be unreal.

He's still one of the best in the modern era and I don't want it to sound like I think otherwise but I think he's being over-hyped to superhuman levels. That's my opinion. I'd be curious if any other WLers care to offer a dissent.

Video time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

He's still one of the best in the modern era and I don't want it to sound like I think otherwise but I think he's being over-hyped to superhuman levels.

Good post Ste, this paragraph pretty much sums up my opinion on Ilin as well.

Two of my favorite snatch videos:

Syrtsov is an absolute beast, his snatch technique is awesome.

That's a crazy weight to be snatching at 90kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

Benching from last night..........thought I'd post some vids here for the LOL

Top lifting Da Za - nice looking gym as well - where is that?

DylanJM wrote: »

That's a crazy weight to be snatching at 90kg.
    Biggest snatch by sinclair of all time isn't it? Ridiculous weight.

Biggest snatch by sinclair of all time isn't it? Ridiculous weight.

I've heard that alright, he did 195.5kg a year later in 1983 as well.

The 80's were great, gotta love that lack of PED testing :D

This just popped up on my Youtube feed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Top lifting Da Za - nice looking gym as well - where is that?

Ironside.

• Advertisement

Speed of the initial movement is amazing. Loads of power that lad

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Lifter25

Hi all ... those Russian are strenght mosters...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

JJayoo wrote: »

The the Lee Moran thing?! Monster. Great story to go with a great accomplishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

The the Lee Moran thing?! Monster. Great story to go with a great accomplishment.

Just crazy for him to actually step up to the bar for the third attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

Any idea how Joe Beede died?

I can't seem to find anything on google.

Russian monsters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

They make it look so easy!

Advertisement