Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a log with no name

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Monday morning was feel better apart from a few "rumblings" down below. which did not allow me to move too far, I got the gear bag ready to hit the pool and after the umpteen visit to the toilet, decided not to swim.
    Put the kids to bed, checked mail before I got on the bike, was relocated to be within running distance, however there were a bart load of mails looking for me which had me working till almost 11:(. sometime I will learn to not look at mail in the evening.

Tuesday:
    Planned a simple 45min lunch time run, but after been stopped heading out the door this was reduced to a short 30min, not feeling great, the body is very tired.

Ended up having an extra pancake or two, so one the bike to try and balance it out,
    10min wu,
    2*20min sweet spot 5min recovery between sets.
    Power: 243, 238.
    Feeling ok, never felt strong or really comfortable, the body is tired and tight.

Wednesday:
    mid day run cancelled, work got on the top of me so didnt have the time,
    On the way home had a 3.5K swim planned.
    this turned in to 2.6, never relaxed in the water always felt tense and didnt enjoy it. not sure if it was still the illness or just a bad day (loads of work stress) or both.

dist 2600
    400wu
    4 * 400
    3* 200
    started my 4th rep and left calf cramped up badly, felt like a pleb standing in the middle of the lane for 5min trying to stretch it out, finally got it out walked back to the top of the lane and kickoff and bang it went again, p1$$ed off I just got out and went home.

started to get changed and still had a pain in the calf from the cramp, and as I had loads of work to do, it didnt take much to put a halt to the run.

Thursday:
    mid day run cancelled again.
    evening,
    Bike: an hour at tempo with a 60second burst every
    Time 75min
    60min at 210w. with a 60 second burst to 200w every 5min.

Dist 32k
    power 210
    Nor pwr 219
    HR - dodgy reading so not counting it.

Friday
    Lunch time run:http://connect.garmin.com/activity/152218544
    finally got out :D,
    planned on 35-40min, so did a plain and simply out and back, once I go to 15min out, I added a bit on, and then might as well get to the roundabout to turn around.

Nice run, felt ok
    Time: 44min
    Dist: 9.89km
    Pace: 4:24min/km

Evening swim
    500wu
    10 * 50 with band: I still dont like these, always feel like im splashing more than swimming.
    500 buoy
    500 Paddles
    500 cd

Saturday:
    headed up home to the metropolis of Carlow, was later getting out for a run, and with all the crap that went with it didn't fuel correctly in fact in F all to eat most of the day.
    so this lead to a very bad run, ended up finishing at 10:30 a bit late to be finishing
    Run: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/153440130
    Dist:20.93
    Pace:5:13min.km
    Time 1:50

Sunday:
    up early, and felt the previous day in the legs.
    Headed into town to meet the local racing group and some tourists
    easy spin, felt fine just sitting there. it was nice to have conversation however, the power drop when not on the front did annoy me,

Time: 3:00:00
    Dist: 83
    Avg Speed: 26km/h
    Power: 176
    Now Pow: 189
    Cad: 76

Monday:
    supposed to be start of a rest week.
    Tri Club swim:
    from the off felt tired and arms had no strength.
    first few I held the pace and felt tired but go through them, then for the second set we were joined by MCOS, and he set the pace, I just about held on for the first 200 possibly loosing 5,10 seconds, the rest he was gone, could not even keep close. (I wont be looking to get on his feet any time soon)
    the last 400 was just bad no idea of time I was struggling to keep swimming,

200wu
    4 * 50 kick,
    main set
    4 *100 off 1:50 - in on 1:40
    2*200 off 3:40 - in on 3:30ish
    1 min recovery
    2*200 off 3:40 - in on 3;30ish
    1*400 cant recall the time :( - no idea
    1K cool down

Tuesday:
    had planned to do a power test, to see if I have had any improvements, and we received a not good call, that basically put halt to anything. For the rest of the day exercise was the last thing on my mind.

Wednesday:
    Still in a non-exercise frame, had planned to hit the pool, however got there and the shallow end was up (movable floor in UL) this is usually fine as I work on drills till its dropped but not today. It just p1$$ed me off more, so turned around and hit home. Once I got the kids to bed guilt of missing training 2 days hit me so on the bike, and put on a Sufferfest –Downward spiral and did as it said on the tin suffered for an hour.

2 * 8 sets of descending time.
    2 min, 1:45,1:30,1:15,1:00,0:45,0:30,0:15 with equal rest
    5 min recovery and repeat.

Set 1 – first 4 at 310watts, rest at >320 recovery@~150watts
    Avg Watts 210
    Nor 253

Set 2 – first 4 at 305watts, rest at >320 recovery@~150watts
    Avg Watts 196
    Nor 245

Thursday:
    still not wanting to train, however guilt kicked in
    so headed out for a run.

Time: 1:15
    dist: 15.31km
    pace: 4:55min/km

Friday:
    Swim, The wee man had lessons so while there,
    To be honest could not have been ar$ed and didn’t know what sets to do so just swam for 45min straight.
    the pace felt like an "all day" effort, and came in approx. 1:55sec\100m
    Dist 2.3k ish

Saturday: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/154982120
    Had the brother down, so planned to go Mountain Biking, and the Wee man decided to join us, not sure how he would get.
    headed over to BallyHoura and set off on the Green loop, once we got to the point of turning back loop we decided to keep on the brown and get a bit more fun.
    The long drags proved a bit tough for an 9year old so i pushed him up some them, on the forest tracks and decents he held his own, after 90min he was fcuked, legs shaking, but a few min rest and he sprinted into the forest to be the first on the trail. The look of sheer relief once he saw the car was quite funny, but once he sat down there was that familiar look of someone who had pushed themselves.
    and to be honest I was one proud daddy. Not an ounce of complaining (apart from giving out about the odd wedgie, need to get cycling shorts for him)

Sunday: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/154982135
    Had a bit of time in the mornings so went for a run instead of a two hour night time jaunt.
    I just wanted to run no hr. and pace was whatever it was, never lifted it if it was slow or vice versa.
    I made two mistakes, left the house hungry and didn’t bring any liquid. Was cold leaving so well wrapped up, however the sun came out and I felt it near the end.

Dist: 27.63
    Time: 2:16
    Pace: 4:55min/km

• Advertisement

Monday 05-Mar starting Build2,

Tri Club Swim: 3800m
    Got to the session a bit earlier and did a longer warm up.
    800m wu with fins concentrating on from,
    2*50 with fins, fully on side, swap over 25m
    2*50 with fins doing the exit water drill (thinking of a zip from hip up and back)
    Main set:
    6*100 off 1:50 – coming in on 1:40
    1min recovery
    2*300 off 5:30 - came in on 5:20
    1min recovery
    1*600 – not sure of the time as we had to jump in to the public lane with 200m to go.
    Did a very slow 1K to warm down.

Feel ok on the shorter harder efforts, however the longer threshold efforts I really struggle on,

Stroke felt ok at times, slightly confused on two items, Im not sure if it’s my bad understanding or just different techniques
    if anyone has an input it would seriously help and be mucho appreciated

Arm entry: some site I have read state high elbow and steep entry into the water and then extend, other sites show a more extended arm before entry into the water.
    Arm extension: again some site have the arm fully extended out in front of you, no bend then you begin the catch, I have read others which state your arm should be pointing down, (elbow below shoulder and hand below elbow).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

BennyMul wrote: »
    if anyone has an input it would seriously help and be mucho appreciated[/FONT]

Arm entry: some site I have read state high elbow and steep entry into the water and then extend, other sites show a more extended arm before entry into the water.
    Arm extension: again some site have the arm fully extended out in front of you, no bend then you begin the catch, I have read others which state your arm should be pointing down, (elbow below shoulder and hand below elbow).

Look for I think Griffins log last year where he commented on how surprised he was that all the top guys in Nenagh seemed to have a straight arm entry. I think Interested came on after and explained the reasoning behind it.

catweazle wrote: »
    Look for I think Griffins log last year where he commented on how surprised he was that all the top guys in Nenagh seemed to have a straight arm entry. I think Interested came on after and explained the reasoning behind it.

Thanks for this, only got to the pool this morning to work on it, but found the post and it made sense.

Tuesday:
    4*10min > FTP 5 min recovery.

Sets were 277,275,271,261
    I stopped after 4 as I had feel outside the point on making improvements.
    over all was happy felt comfortable with the set.

Wednesday:
    Work was mad and missed my afternoon swim, and at 9 last night decided I needed a break for out for a run.
    Felt very tired and never pushed the pace, just relaxed and enjoyed the lovely evening, it was so bright.
    now I did nearly drop I met 3 others out running, (no lights mind) but just to put this in context, I have never met anyone out during the day let alone at night.

Thursday:
    Got my swim in early. and worked on extending my arm before entering the water, and trying to bend at the elbow to create a longer paddle.
    Felt odd but when it started to come together I noticed that I accelerate through the water and didn’t finish my stroke early.

400wu
    3*100 25fist -25nor
    3*300 off 5:30
    500 off

Did get talking to a woman and she commented on my stroke, apparently its good, nice arm movement, you tube videos working .
    She did say my breathing on the right was bad - lifting my head out,
    on the left it was fine, able to keep the bottom goggle in the water.

Thursday PM:
    An easy hour on the Turbo, legs feeling a bit on the tired side so didnt push it.

Avg Pwr: 190
    Nor Pwr: 202

Friday:
    Lunch time run, left the Garmin, phone at the desk and only noticed when changed and feeling slightly self-conscious walking into an open plan office in running gear I decided to to run Onatural,
    Just ran out the old limerick road, as I had no idea of time picked a point which was around 2.5 miles and then turn around.
    ended up with 45min and slightly over the 5miles.

Evening Swim
    500 wu, arms feeling tired, not used to 2 days in a row swimming.
    8 * 50 with band. noticed that I cant rotate or get on my side with the band, each 50 in around 55-58 seconds
    3 * 500 easy swim not pushing it just trying to concentrate on the stroke, last one came in on 9min, was happy with that as it felt an easy pace.
    200 with paddles arms were in bits

Saturday: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/157084835
    The wee man had a soccer match, missed the alarm and didn't get up in time to get my planned run in pre the game. so only got out that night and was shorter than planned.
    Legs were not great feeling heavy and no zip.
    time : 1:15
    Dist: 14.87km
    Pace : 4:58min/km

Sunday:
    Had played with the idea of riding Ras Luimi. but the young man had his first Basketball match at 11 race started at 12:30, so praying that things would go smoothly thew the bike in the boot, wore cycling gear under my cloths, and off we set.
    Match finished at 12, so run out to the car and drive head to the race start, got to the sign on at 12:20ish and closed :(, on the way out I met the commissaire and got in, ran back to the car put the bike together and got ready, and raced to the start line, no warm up just line up and got ready to race, thankfully there was a neutralized start so I got some relief.
    Once the flag dropped I attacked to really wake up the legs and off the front 5min averaging 400w's, the bunch came up and I sat back in to recover.
    The Next few miles flew by, tried to get away but nothing happening, Really hate this negative racing.
    heading on to lap 2, up the hill to Ballyneety there was a lull in the pace so off I went again, put in a good hard effort over 1Kw and got a nice gap however got the gearing wrong and was pushing a massive gear as the road climbed push it on and got a gap but once again they pulled me back. sat back in a chatted to a few lads I hadn't seen in years. Was nearly taken out of it by some fool who hit a cats eye, this push him towards the ditch and he panicked and went all over the place.
    Decied to relax and want for the last few K and try once more, so with 4K to go went again and never got the gap I wanted the bunch wanted to keep it all together, so now time to wait for the gallop. the speed picked I was moving up nicely and getting in to a good position, up to50kph through the town and then a left turn on the outside of the bunch so not to get blocked in and then Bang, 3,4 went stright down in front of me swerve to avoid it, up onto the footpath nearly hit a Telephone pole. pulled the foot out of the peddles and could not get it back in, Race over :(

Felt good enough to get a result, but that life. I am missing a lot of high end power but as boring and negative the racing was I did have a smile for most of it.

Time 1:40
    Dist 58km
    Speed: 34.5/63.8
    Hr :135/163
    Avg Pwr: 183
    Nor Pwr: 239

Cycled home to add on miles and time as it was too short.
    Got out the lawn mower and went to cut the grass and the self drive motor broke, so I had to haul the mower up and down the garden which is on a slope so by the end my legs were tired and decided to leave the evening run.

Monday 12-Mar

Tri Club swim session: 3000m
    100 wu
    2*100 fins and float working on stroke and body,head position

main set:
    500 off 9:30 - came in just under 9min
    2*250 off 4:30 - came in 4:20
    500 off 9:30 - in on 9min
    200 slow
    4 * 50s off 1:30 - 40,41,43, 50 cramp on the last one and could not kick
    800 in public lane

Felt dead the whole set had no strenght and I felt my stroke was not there, and seemed to end early the more I pushed to hit the times.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 13th March

Was feeling very tired before I even started so was not looking forward to thr 2x20min @ sweetspot, but once I got going it was fine and was happy with the outcome, infact considered doing a 3rd rep, but as I missed my lunch time run did this instead of the 3rd rep.

Bike:
    10min warmup
    Rep 1@ 243watts
    7min recovery@ ~150w
    Rep 2 @ 241watts
    4min spinning - catching the last bit of the cycling on Eurosport.
    got changed and out for a run (was colder outside than on the turbo)

Run: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/157717894
    Once running I felt ok, and doubled the planned 2mi to 4mi brick session.
    Was happy with the pace and feeling considering there are 2 drags that just hurt;
    was running hard and it felt hard but very comfortable and undercontrol.

dist 6.45k
    Time 27:56
    Pace 4:19min/km

Wednesday:
    Nothing, the alternator went on the car so the day was spent trying to get one, driving the kids around to school, matches etc and then work and trying to figure out how hard is it to change one.
    So didnt finish work till after 11 and that put a stop to any exercise.
    Hopefully I will get it all sorted tomorrow and get out,

on a plus side, have my entry for Hell of the west, my first tri :( will look to get in to Tri Athy.

Thursday 15th: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/159623487
    Got the Car fixed, and finished working just after 9, so the dilemma of missing 2 days or go for a run, mentally wanted to sit down and have sugar but that nasty guilty feeling kicked in again and off I set

body was tired but I need to start adding structure to my runs so will begin a few weeks of hill reps
    the hill is .5 mi long
    did 6 reps, times from 4:26 - 4:56
    on the 5th one I was shot but the time was under the 5min target, so I set off on the 6th rep got under the 5min and pushed my self a bit too much (got sick at the end:() so off home with me

Friday 16th: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/159623451
    Went for an easy 40min run to try and loosed up the legs
    dist 8:4k
    pace 4:45/min/km

Swim: 2500m
    My whole body was tired starting, did 500wu
    10 * 50 Band, the last 4 were a struggle, got held up behind slower swimmers and once the pace drops so do my legs (so maybe I doing it wrong)
    3*500 alternating between easy 50 and hard 50, just to mix up the session

Saturday 17th:
    Long run: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/159623641
    Up early and off I set, never really comfortable, got a few miles and began to have tummy problems which slowed the pace down a bit, this continued for a few miles, I dont think I need to go into details. but alas it needed to be sorted. Once I got to the 10miles mark I was out of water and it was getting warmer, so I went looking for a shop and nothing open,
    Im not sure if it was physical or mental but started to slow down, At the 15mi mark had a decision to shorten the run or add on some, so I added it on, this is fine but the last 3k are up hill with a wall right at the end,
    this run took a lot out of me, I was spaced for the rest of the day, or maybe it was standing around at a parade.

Time: 2:36
    Dist: 30.11
    Pace: 5:11min/km

Sunday 18th:
    Bike http://connect.garmin.com/activity/159623655
    Once on the bike the legs were tired and power down. Never recovered from yesterday. however it was a lovely morning and one of them days its fun been on a bike.
    Ended up in Bunclody and decided to head over mount Leinster, a nice climb even if it was done slowly. the hole spin was nicethe sun made it more sweet even if it was slow.

Time: 3:15
    Dist 75km
    Avg Spd: 23.39
    Power 154
    Nor Pwr: 180
    Elevation :818m

Monday 19th:
    More bike :)http://connect.garmin.com/activity/159623423
    The body is very tired, and lay in bed for an hour looking for an excuse not to get up and train, but could not think of one, not sure if that is a good or bad thing.
    another hillyish cct, power still down on what I would expect, Near the end my ITB began to get sore, need to spend time rolling it out.

Time : 3:40
    Dist: 93.5km
    Avg Pwr: 164
    Nor Pwr: 191
    Elevation: 776m

Tuesday 20th:
    Bike
    Was not sure how the body would be as it felt heavy and tired all day. was late enough when I got on the turbo, and the plan was 2*20min @90% FTP but after the weekend was not confident I would get it done. but to be honest I surprised me and got both done,

10min warm up
    20min @ 240 watts
    10 min recovery
    20min @237 watts.
    5min cool down cut short due to a puncture:(.

Wednesday 21st:
    Missed the lunch time run due to work, in fact missed lunch due to work.
    Planned to hit the pool on the way home, but had to bring the youngest to the Doc's - he not well, or look not well so that put stop to that, by the time we got everything sorted that night it was after 9 and not a hope of getting to the pool in time for a swim, so off for a run, left the Garmin out side to pick up the satellites and when I got ready it was dead, no battery
    So ran on feelings and I felt good kept a nice pace and pushed the pace.

slightly over 13k and no idea of time.

Thursday 22nd:
    planning a lunch time run and again this was removed, we have the Director of the dept. over from Austin so its all hands on deck, I moved things around so could get out at 4, but a meeting with his good self ran over, and didnt have the time to get it in. so swim it was or so I thought again things ran away and it was after 9 before I got everything settled, I am so unimpressed with swimming or lack of this week.

so on to the bike at almost 10, warmed up with not the foggiest idea of a set, so stuck on a sufferfest, just got revolver and havent done it so off I set.
    10 min warm up
    The main set was 15*1min at 323watts 1 min recovery spinning.
    got the set down and felt good was able to maintain the 1min no problems (possible should have used a higher watt) so moved the vid back 5 reps and did a total of 20 efforts.

total 40min set
    avg pwr: 221
    nor pwe: 260
    once done spun the legs for 10min to get all the crap out of them.

Friday 23rd:
    Lunch time run again removed, believe me not complaining but it is mad busy, and it seems to get this way when i am trying to put in a big week.
    both run's and swims will be down this week.

Fri 23rd cont:
    Hit the pool on the way home, with a 7 *500m off 10min in mind,

300 wu
    1st 500 9:40 - felt crap arms were hanging out of me, stroke was
    non-existent and felt like I was fighting the water.
    2nd 500 10:05 - as above, 30sec recovery
    the remainder were done out of sturbbornness, felt like no quality times were in and around 10:30 - 11min
    did 200 cd.

Sat 24th:
    Bike http://connect.garmin.com/activity/161552032
    looked at the weather and was down for a real feel of 4deg, so dressed for this, and was I sorry the temp picked up nicely as the day went on, and what a lovely day. and was on new roads :)

the first few km just span the bike to waken the legs up, there was a bit of a breeze down to Kildorrey, but the way back was lovely

Time : 3:46
    Dist: 102km
    Spd: 27km/hr
    Avg Pwr 170
    Nor Pwr 191
    cad 70

Brick:http://connect.garmin.com/activity/161552044
    once off the bike went for a short run to see how the legs would react, and were they stiff and lacked life.

Time: 18min
    Dist: 3.4k
    Pace 5:15min/km

Sunday 25th:
    Long run http://connect.garmin.com/activity/161551943

Im not really a fan of these morning run, always feel stiff as a board in the mornings, a down sign of been old.
    I set off and not sure if I still had yesterday in the legs or the lack of stretching or the heat (or im old and slow) meant the run was a slog.
    Never felt like i had the energy to push the pace, had to stop after 12 miles to buy water as I had drank 2 bottles,

Time: 2:34
    Dist: 29.58km
    Pace: 5:14min/km

A very nice weeks training, had my largest volume so far, with 15hrs,
    and I missed 2 runs and 2 swims so cant complain.
    I am sooo looking forward to a recovery week now to recharge the body.

Monday 26th:
    Tri Club session

was a bit apprehensive tonight after the way I felt on friday I was not sure how I would be in the pool.
    Got there a bit early and did 400 easy to warm up to loosen up the body,
    The main person who leads out the lane was missing so I had the honour tonight.

400 wu
    200 with fins working on stroke,
    4*200 on 3:50 in on 3:30;3:33;3:35;3:40
    1min rest
    4*200 on 3:50 in on 3:31;3:34;3:35;3:41
    4*50 fast - 45. 55,46,58 - the slow ones were due to cramp thankfully it decided to swap legs for each.
    200 cd
    jumped in to the public lane, and did 700 slow to get up to the 3K, once there still felt ok so did another 200.

fell like im loosing second(s) on each turn may be dreaming or wishful thinking.
    but happy with the times tonight as i was leading the group,
    and going to set a target of 3:20 for the 200, working to 3even:D

Tuesday 27th:
    took the night off, part of my 1 day off during recovery week

Wednesday 28th:
    Unable to get to the pool on the way home, so went for an easy run, battery dead again on the garmin, so ran on feeling, approx 7k

Thursday 29th:
    55min on the turbo, spinning a low gear covered power and just made sure the cad was high.
    approx 23k covered at over 95rpm

Friday 30th:
    Lunch time run, leaving work and met someone I used to work with years back, and have met him during the Limerick and Dublin marathon (and cant recall his name for the live of me :o) so I set off with him, a nice slow run but the company was nice, the problems at about mile 3, my stomach started acting up and began to get cramps, now been in Dooradoyle there was not many places to "stop" so ran as fast as I could back to work.

Swim: 3000m
    500 wu.
    500 in on 9:30
    1500 straight - not sure of the time just wanted to do a long straight one,
    500 cd
    Felt ok in the water, read about clenching your butt to engage your core muscles to help keep the legs and it seemed to work,
    at time felt nice and comfortable, even do most of the stroke is not natural yet, I have to concentrate on it all the time, other wise it gets messy and short.

Saturday 31st: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/163344468
    Had to drag myself out of the bed for a cycle,
    Left the house with no idea where to go - one of them morning where you just dont care. So decided to try and get new roads,
    Ended up on some of the Keeper Hill challenge, and the roads are non existent :eek: ; but some nice steep climbs and lovely views.
    My right hip started acting up and a sore ITB when out of the saddle.
    Ended up been a harder cycle then I originally planned.
    My leg was still "sore" when I got home so left the run

Time 3:05
    Dist 76.31
    Power 160/500
    Np 192
    cad 69

Sunday 1st: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/163803712
    again had to drag myself out of bed, planned a long run
    Ran on feeling wanted it to be slightly slower than mp, and for the first 11 felt fine holding 4:5ish min/km pace after that the road started to go up and pace went down to 5:2ish pace, I started to feel the lack of breakfast at about mile 15 and wished I had food was starving.
    Happy with the run felt good even if the pace fell off, part of this was the lack of breakfast, went walk with the kids later in the day and the legs were fine(a bit sore this morning do)

Time : 2:54:00
    Dist 34.12km
    pace 5:06min/km

Another phase over, the main down side I see is some poor pool time, may be more ?

Week|Swim|Bike|Run|Total
    1 |3:15:00|4:40:00|2:50:00|10:45:00
    2 |2:25:00|4:17:00|5:02:00|11:44:00
    3 |1:10:00|9:31:00|3:51:00|14:32:00
    4 (Rec)|2:50:00|3:55:00|4:10:00|10:55:00
    Total|9:40:00|22:23:00|15:53:00|47:56:00

Monday 02-April new block

Tri club swim set,
    Got into the pool a bit earlier and was able to get 800 wu with fins,
    200 Scull (25 scull - 25 normal) - I am so crap at the front scull, I just feel like I am standing still in the water and I know it's wrong but occasionally I have to give a small kick to get me moving, so I am doing something majorly wrong.

3*500 off 9:30 - got the first one done in 9, and I was jaded never good when your told you look tired,
    second one was on 9:10 and the last 9:20, my arms muscles were in pain during the last one, not sure if this is good or bad.

got in to the public lane and did another 400m, would have done the 5 but I thought I had the 3k done but only counting now I realised I made a boo boo

I have been putting this off for the past few weeks in the hope I could make it happen but a few external thingies have come up and I have withdrawn my entry to IMUK,
    this was completely outside my control and as much as it peeeeed me off there was very little I could do so have to accept it.

This and a lot of pressure in work is taking its toll on the body, I'm feeling really tired, the body does not seem to recovery and have been getting cold sores, so I may be a bit "run down", my NP from the bike is down, the run's are slower,

So now I need to rethink what to do next,
    I have pencilled in the double in Athy (will be my first tri :o) , Hell of the west, possible Brian Boru and Hardman Olympic, I may look to swap this to the full and not let the training go to waste. As I read some good things about it last year.

now I have to look at my training (If doing the Hardman do I continue what im doing and just add another build block or start again,
    I also have to get the motivation back, which Im hoping won't be hard as I am having fun most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Sorry to hear that BM :(

You've got some solid training under your belt so fair play to you and hopefully you'll get to put it to good use in those other events. Your mojo will definitely bounce back quickly if you get a bit more of a chance to recover with work, life, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Sorry to hear that Benny, I used to laugh at that 12.30 Ironman target of yours in the IM Time list as I think you would have been well under that the way you are going. Perhaps a 1/2 Ironman, Kenmare, Swinford and Galway are in easy reach of Limerick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Sorry to hear, make sure you do not let that base work go to waste.

Tuesday 3rd:
    Not in the humor for anything I got on the bike regardless and spun for 40min

Wednesday 4th:
    The kids off school so I dont have to do the school run so I joining the Tri club for their early morning session,
    session was 20*100 off 2:10 I took over at the front from the 5th and was avg. 1:40- 1:45
    total of 3100m

Thursday 5th: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/166707791
    One lovely evening was really bright, my head lamp died and never really noticed,
    Never looked at the watch and ran on an easy feeling
    Time 57min
    Dist 12.31k
    Pace 4:41min/km

Friday 6th:
    The pool was not open till late, had my gear in just in case I could sneak out but that never happened.
    Was heading home for the weekend so I had plans to cycle up, but this place didnt let me out on time and it was getting too late in the day for an 80mile spin,
    once we got up home I got changed for a run, but forgot my high vis jacket and light :(

Saturday 7th:
    Up at 6 to head to Dublin for the day, planed an evening run but we had just arrived and The better half and family were called to a dying relative.
    so i had baby sitting duties

Sunday 8th: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/166707773
    the relative passed away so my plan for a nice 22miles was scuppered. I did get up early and got in a nice 90min before everyone else work up and started planning the funeral.

A tuff run, some step roads or long drags
    dist 18.46
    Time 1:35
    Pace 5:11min/km

Monday 9th
    nothing with the funeral

Tuesday 10th:
    Heading back home to Limerick,
    got changed for the long cycle, bottle filled and grabbed the bike and back wheel flat, changed it and started pumping and nothing the pump was doing squat.
    got some air in the tyre but was not risking an 80mile spin with no pump or spare tube.
    Finished work and after missing 2 long bikes had to do something.
    so put the bike on the training and loaded 2 sufferfest.
    Started the downward spiral and first 2 intervals were good power was up,
    then to finish the weekend off had an attack of palpitations (HR went mad)
    hopefully a result of lack of sleep from the weekend and the excess amount of coffee.
    took a few min off to relax and took off the videos, and stuck on some crap to just ride to.

Total: 2:47
    Dist 82
    avg Spd 29km
    Power 170
    Nor Power 180

Wednesday 11th
    early morning swim.
    met the tri club again, could get used to this.

the set was 2*200 of 4min and 3 * 100 off 2min
    this was repeated by 4

the first set was fine felt good in the water,
    Lead off the second and was coming in on 3:40 for the 200's and starting to slow down, the 100 were awful I struggled to hit the time,
    for set 3 I moved back in the group and felt dead in the water no power, feel and it felt like I was swimming through tar.
    the last set was ok a bit better
    total distance of 3800.

Wednesday 11th pm:
    http://connect.garmin.com/dashboard?cid=1034089
    with the family still up home I had some time to myself,
    So I heard about a nice trail run, (never ran trail before) so it might be a nice way to get in a run.
    It was fun, I felt good and comfortable and some savage views from the top.
    I did take a wrong turn and after running downhill for half a mile I came to a junction and decision time, as I didnt know the route or how long left,right would add on, I turned around and back up the hill and actually found the track i was meant to be following.
    Once done I added an extra 3ki loop to bring it over the 20k.

Time: 1:37
    dist: 20k
    Pace: 4:50min/km

Thursday 12th am
    Swim, I could really get used to these early morning swims,
    500 wu, a mix of 1 arm and fist.
    Main set
    150, 150,100, 50, 50
    Felt better than yesterday and I didnt push the pace I wanted to swim it comfortable, each 100 was approx. 1:50
    with 20 sec rest between each.

PM - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/167420195
    the plan was a road spin, got home later than I wanted from work, and it looked like it was about to pi$$ down, so like any decent person flipped a coin outside or turbo. Outside won so off I set.
    and was I glad I did, it is the first time in a long long time that I felt that good on the bike, I just sat there and it went forward, never pushed the pace outside of a few drags, got home as the heavens opened :D so threw the bike on the turbo and just spun for 20min, the feeling was different and after the 20min mentally I had enough so stopped and stretched and rolled for 30min.

Road piece
    Time 1:10
    distance 33.3
    Avg sp 29kph
    Cad 81
    power 233\453
    Nor Power 245

Turbo
    Time 21min
    Distance 10
    Avg sp 28.35
    Power 181\320
    Nor Power 195

Friday 13th am Swim
    600 wu, there was a big group and the warm up is a bit m start,stop
    Main set
    5*100 off 2:10 (1:35, 1:40, 1:42, 1:43, 1:45) I lead these and went out a bit too fast on the first and suffered for the rest.
    3*200 off 4:30 med pace (~3:50) - moved down the line for these
    5*100 (1:40, 1:43, 1:44, 1:46, 1:50) leading again and these really hurt but I was happy.
    8*50 - 25 kick 25 swim
    the pool emptied at this point so I stuck on the fins and paddles and did a slow 700 just trying to work on the catch, keeping the elbow high and accelerating the arm though the water.

I thing I noticed, during the 100's when tired I was only breathing to my left every stroke, and my right arm was seemed to be doing nothing, the catch section was not there, tried this with the paddles and my hand turned in the water so I lost some propulsion. (if this makes sense)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hey benny good work on the swimming. Leading out the middle lane is last step before you join our lane :D Although I've missed so much swimming lately that I think I pop into your lane for a few sessions next week.

Question about the right arm. Do you feel that when you start breathing to the left every 2 that you subsequently drop your right elbow and lose horizontal momentum by pulling vertically? Perhaps you are rolling with your shoulder rather than your hip to get your face out of the water for a breath quicker? Perhaps you are simply throwing the right arm out there and focusing solely on getting oxygen so you are missing your catch?

thanks but not sure about moveing lanes, I swam beside Ross (I think) for about 3 seconds and he was gone, :( also kids back to school next week so I will try and get over for the lunch time sessions, as these are way better than swimming on my own.

as for the stroke, I have no idea where its falling apart or if its on both sides if I swim bilatterly. I will try and "look" monday and narrow down the problem,

Saturday 14th:
    A nice morning to look out at, but was cold, and I wore too little, could have done with an extra layer. the run its self was ok, I felt a little stiff, never pushed the pace just ran naturally. I did start to get hungry around 2 hours in and this I think did slow me down for the last few miles. the last 5ish miles were into a headwind and on dead roads and all 3 didnt help.
    Was starving for the rest of the day and eat all around me.

Time: 3:00
    dist: 35.6k
    Pace: 5.06min/km

Sunday 15th:
    Another lovely cold morning, the legs feeling yesterdays long run in them, and were a bit on the tired side. after 3 hours I was bored and tired. Didnt bring enough food with me, and was running out of liquid. Still felt strong and rode the last few miles at ~200watts easily.

Time: 4:00:00
    Dist: 105.86
    Speed: 26km/h
    Avg Pwr: 160
    Nor Pow: 179

One of my biggest weeks so far, feeling a tad bit tired but happy with the volume and so far the body seems to have dealt with it well.

|# number of sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance
    Swimming| 3| 3:50 | 9.1
    Running| 3| 5:13 | 62.14
    Bike |3| 8:20 | 231.20
    Core\Other| 2 | 0:30 |
    Total |11|17:53 | 302

Monday 16th:
    Tri Club swim set,
    Got there a bit earlier and swam slowly to see if I could see what was going wrong with my stroke during breathing.

wu 600m
    main set was 1500m straightish, 15*100 with 10seconds rest.
    I felt dead again, the long weekend and bad sleep didnt help. but I struggled here,
    Time was 31:30 (I think will get the official time next week)
    I would expect (may be talking crap) to be a bit faster and would have expected to be under the 30min,
    did another 2 just while others were finishing.
    in to the public lane and did 4*200 concentrating on stroke,
    total 3100

As for my problems, it is on both side only the right is worse.
    I did ask and was told to try and hold the pull till my head was back in the water,

From what I feel and please forgive me if the description is not clear.
    when my pull starts my elbow is to the outside of my body line, and I try and keep the lower part of the arm pointing down, however when I breath the lower arm come across my body and it feels like my shoulder "disengages" and lets the arm slip through the water and not catch.

My thoughts and probably way off the mark

flexibility: when I turn my head I pull my elbow off line, and screw everything up.
    A weak shoulder:
    Bad timing:
    taking to long to breath in: (I did notice I was not breathing out till just before I turned)
    Bad technique
    All of the above and many others I havent thought of.

Tuesday 17th:
    Missed the chance for my mid day run,

Bike
    VO2 sessions. not looking forward to this.

10min warm up, and the legs are still fatigued but they will wake up I hope
    5 min @ 110% FTP - coming in on 284 watts
    5 min recovery
    3*3min @ 120% - 310,308,289 - the last one was a real struggle
    10min recovery
    8*1min @ >120% - 324,320,314,298,317,310,319,314
    spun the legs for 5min

Got changed and quickly hit the road for a short run,
    Legs felt ok considering, Aiming for a nice 4 mile but about 12min in the weather turned and the heavens opened, I started to get very cold so cut my losses and headed for home,

total of 4.8k in 24min

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

BennyMul wrote: »
    3*3min @ 120% - 310,308,289 - the last one was a real struggle
    10min recovery
    8*1min @ >120% - 324,320,314,298,317,310,319,314

I might try this session if I can man up enough :rolleyes:
    What recovery did you have in between each of the 3min and 1min efforts? Same as the efforts i.e. 3+1mins?

• Advertisement

Hey, yep the recovery was the same as the rep.
    a nice set was done on the hour as well.

3 x (3 min hard 3 min rest)
    the original set was to do the below with 4 x (2min on , 2 min rest) but I swapped it from the 1min as I didnt fell I would have been able to maintiain the power.
    8*(1min on, 1min recovery)

have fun:D

Advertisement