Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 1%

Options
123457»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    Why bother? because the Occupy movement when one digs down to the core of what they stand for are the same old wolf pretending to wear new sheep skin

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it :(

I'm a fecking historian - I have learned! And what I have learned is those who do not stand up for themselves get trampled.

No change ever happens to socio-political systems unless that change is forced.

Our political system is dysfunctional. I am prepared to give those who seek a peaceful means to change it a chance. Not sneer at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    Why bother? because the Occupy movement when one digs down to the core of what they stand for are the same old wolf pretending to wear new sheep skin

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it :(

You are still refusing to identify exactly what that "wolf" is.
    Who are you referring to exactly? Shell to Sea? The SWP? Trade Unions? Farmville players???

You keep referring to the protesters as being part of some kind of protesters conspiracy. I get that, but the problem is you fail to identify what entity it is you're referring to. Out with it, once and for all?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Debtocracy

If society is not shaken up every once in a while then a layer of scum forms at the top

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Here's another perfect example of the 1%:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/1121/1224307907221.html
    A GOVERNMENT backbencher has criticised the Cabinet decision to change the law to allow Ministers to be driven in bus lanes.

Cork South West Labour TD Michael McCarthy said yesterday it created an impression that politicians were above and beyond the general public.
    The decision to move into the fast lane was taken by Ministers, by way of a majority vote at Cabinet, and was passed by the Dáil on October 18th using a statutory instrument. This is a technical device to process a Government decision without having a debate.

Oh yeah. Reeeeeal democratic right there.

*facepalm*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Inverse to the power of one!

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Not sneer at them.

Boards is not the place, the world weary protagonists of these wonderful forums are infinitive of the fact that resistance is futile and once you learn to be a nice quite lad all the other cynics will appreciate you for your silence at the bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Here's another perfect example of the 1%:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/1121/1224307907221.html

Oh yeah. Reeeeeal democratic right there.

*facepalm*

This is another example of how those excuses who claim to represent us are completely in a different world, we are struggling to pay the bills and they think its alright for them to disobery the rules normal people have to follow. Enda Kenny and the other wallys should be careful, its the little things that will bite him in the a$$

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Trichs

From the Bank Of Ireland Private Banking Update Report July 2007, The Wealth Of The Nation

"We estimate that the top 1% of the population holds 20% of the wealth, the top 2% holds 30% and the top 5% holds 40%. However, if we exclude the value of housing wealth and focus primarily on financial wealth, the concentration of wealth increases. In this instance, 1% of the population accounts for around 34% of the wealth."

http://www.finfacts.ie/biz10/WealthNationReportJuly07.pdf

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i'm crawling into my pod for 6 years till all this blows over and ff are back in power and everyone is happy and things are good the the downward spiral its nears the point of repeat

Advertisement