Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Marco Simoncelli

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭demolitionman

RIP Simoncelli.

Heart also bleeds for rossi and edwards, especially as their bashes to him were most likely the fatal ones.

Sad day. Black week for motor sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

A sad sad day,a true star of now and the future taken from us.RIP Super Sic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Moto has lost one of it's most inspirational & contraversial riders, a joy to watch & really shook things up on entering the sport.

RIP Marco - vary sad indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭PAULWATSON

Just waiting for the clowns "demanding" that the sport is shut down.

I'll get in early and tell them to go back and hide under the bed, leave this to the big boys. They know what they are doing when they get on the bike, and remember just because you can't drive at 70mph does not mean that these men can't do 200 on one wheel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

RIP very sad but i still think motor and bike racing is mad.

Then why are you in the Motorsport forum?

R.I.P. Marco. Can't say I pay a lot of attention to Moto GP, but I was aware that he was a rising star. Terrible days for motorsport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

I'm in work and just seeing this now. I'm absolutely gutted.
    Not a good week for motorsport at all, first Dan Wheldon now this:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I believe Edwards has already gone home to the States. Rossi must be absolutely torn up about this.

I still can't believe it. Never have I cried over the death of someone I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

RIP Marco. Such an awful awful day.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,209 ✭✭✭Goose81

RIP

Steve Parrish thinks Rossi will retire over the incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

Goose81 wrote: »
    RIP

Steve Parrish thinks Rossi will retire over the incident.

I wouldn't be surprised you know. Sic was his best friend and he'll feel that it was his blow that killed Sic. That's a devastating thought. Really am feeling for Rossi as well as Edwards right now.

RIP Marco. Huge loss to the sport.

• Advertisement

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Another terrible loss, two well loved drivers have been taken away from us far too early. One thing that that jumped out at me is that his helmet came off. I think there will be a big investgation about this. Your helmet should never come off it should be so tight that there is no movement.

What always struck me about Simoncelli is how he could race with that much hair. I would have thought that a) its very uncomfortable b) would it effect how tightly the helmet can attached to the drivers.

Race direction have said that they won't comment on the helmet issue for the moment but it will be investigated. I'm guessing it had something to do with Edwards' (and possibly Rossi's) front wheel hitting it with such force that it pulled it off.

I'm pretty sure he his helmets specially made to accommodate all of his hair. I'm sure I read that somewhere, can't think where though. I doubt that his hair would have had an impact on the effectiveness of his helmet compared to others though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Race direction have said that they won't comment on the helmet issue for the moment but it will be investigated. I'm guessing it had something to do with Edwards' (and possibly Rossi's) front wheel hitting it with such force that it pulled it off.

I'm pretty sure he his helmets specially made to accommodate all of his hair. I'm sure I read that somewhere, can't think where though. I doubt that his hair would have had an impact on the effectiveness of his helmet compared to others though.

Lets keep the thread simple as a mark of respect to Marco, lads an lassies.....i for one dont want to know about the helmet issue..maybe in another thread at a later date...;)

RIP Marco...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

RIP Marco

I wonder if the straps let go? They are designed to take a certain load, then let go for obvious reasons. I remember a FF incident in the 90's where one car climbed over the other and pulled the guys helmet off. People were going nuts over it, but had the helmet not come off, it could have been worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

RIP Marco 58
    He was one of a kind, in a sport where there are lots of grey men he stood out with a bold and inspirational attitude.
    He will be badly missed not only by his family and friends but most MotoGP watchers would have to say they enjoyed his racing style.
    Condolences to Vale and Colin Edwards they must be in bits.

I saw a pic where someone was holding his helmet, looked like the strap had broken away on one side. They are only riveted and no strap is going to hold that much pressure/impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Second post in this thread, but even on a Rugby World Cup final and Manchester derby day, this still has knocked the wind out of me. Can't believe we won't get to see him causing more trouble over the next few years, the sport needs people like him.

And if Rossi does retire over this, what a horrible end to an incredible career, though his decision would be completely understandable. Can't stop thinking about how Vale and Edwards must be feeling. They need everyone's support as much as anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

a joy to watch #58, RIP Marco.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Probably sounds silly but watching the race and seeing the helmet come off my first reaction was his thick long hair that could have caused the helmet to not sit right.
    Im probably way off the mark , not sure if hair would make a difference but thats what sprung to mind.
    God bless his family, truely great character,huge talent, sad sad loss to motorsport and indeed sport.

Rossi has just tweeted:

Sic for me was like a youngest brother.so strong on track and so sweet in the normal life.I will miss him a lot.

Rossi has just tweeted:

Sic for me was like a youngest brother.so strong on track and so sweet in the normal life.I will miss him a lot.

It really is a crazy story, Simoncelli was so much like a young Rossi.

• Advertisement

Sure they grew up down the road from each other. They have known each other since they were little kids. Given Rossi's age, the Sic was very much so a younger version of him, given Rossi's experience being passed onto Simoncelli, you can only imagine (now) the future he would've had in racing.

Does anyone have any links to interview or stories about their friendship, because I've looked a few times today and can't find anything more than stories saying that they were friends?

I've seen interviews and footage of them before and after races, couldn't tell you where they are now, probably on the motogp website.

simoncselli.jpg

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    simoncselli.jpg

I was just going to say if you check out google images you'll find loads of pictures of them together.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Faing

RIP Marco, you were exciting to watch.

I was just going to say if you check out google images you'll find loads of pictures of them together.

Thanks. I'm not doubting that they were friends, would just like to read something about them. :)

marco-simoncelli.jpgvalentinorossishelmet-thumb.jpg

Two great characters, will never be the same again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

valentino-rossi-marco-simoncelli-2008-10-26-10-4-54.jpg
    I hope it's not the end for Rossi

• Advertisement

Thanks. I'm not doubting that they were friends, would just like to read something about them. :)

Ah no, wasn't implying that at all man! :)
    marco-simoncelli.jpgvalentinorossishelmet-thumb.jpg

Two great characters, will never be the same again.

I'd say Rossi will be doing a lot of thinking over this.

Advertisement