Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mists of pandaria

Options
  • 22-10-2011 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭

just heard about this new expansion & while a new expansion is always interesting i'm not liking the idea of an 11th class with 10 slots. hopefully there'll be an 11th slot added during this expansion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

They will add more slots, anything to keep subscribers..

The mists of kung fu panda, they should have just called this expansion "Please dont go to SWTOR"

The expansion news just stinks of desperation in an attempt to keep subscribers. Not enough to get me going back, im done with wow. And they are changing the game again, new talent system, **** sake, they are all over the place...

Diluting the game even further by removing the need to respecc/buy new spells.

World of warcraft.. taking the MM out of MMORPG :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭fiinch

i glanced over the expansion notes and just felt sorry for WoW. i was so sure it was an april fools till i remembered it's October.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I dunno, I mean I don't really have a problem with pandas per se - we've had giant talking cows and space goats already. It just feels like there's no focus now though, they're throwing every idea they have into the game and it's going to get messy. It's not hard to listen to the claims that the Blizzard 'A' team have all moved onto their next MMO and the work experience crew are running things now.

The trailer is so funny, its hyping up through all the challenges thus far from expansion to expansion and then ends with a new challenge awaits and shows nothing but bears rolling around and doing karate.

A new talent system? which looks like its just made to cater to idiots, pets can battle? whoopdi doo!

What i would have liked to hear is we have made our servers stable for MMO style pvp battles and improved pvp, not, heres more fluff for you to look at :rolleyes:

I'm actually gobsmacked at how lousy this attempt at an expansion is, its like its taking the piss, like some big wig on the inside is trying to win a bet with this haha..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

It does seem like an attempt to appease the hardcore novelty lore-geek type people who will subscribe no matter what. They almost look like they're trying to lure people from Hello Kitty Island Adventure.

I still play a twinkish level 20 freeplay trial account for wsg and ab sometimes but that's about it, I won't be resubbing on the back of this. World of Warcraft II or some kind of brand new, modern MMO is the only thing that can save this franchise now imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I do like the idea of a free Diablo III if you're willing to commit to the game for a year. It's not even an upfront payment - just have to sign a year long mobile-phone type contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I know panda's are in warcraft but WTF :eek: this kind of reminds me of when ever quest added fairy's and i left that game and never went back because see twinkly ass fairies flying around just wasnt my cup of tea. And playing with kung fu panda's aint my cup of tea either. But then i did quit like a year and a half ago so my opinion means f all. But this is the worst expansion ive ever seen ever !

It just seems to have no point no direction, and it sounds like they are just removing the talent tree system from what i read not a new one, just removing it all together. Which was always the thing i looked forward to when i levelled up spending that point. I guess i really wont be going back to wow now :(

Also those pve scenarios with scaling gear completely voids the entire point of a big part of the game gearing up to do bigger and better things!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

jesus , theres a vanity pet/pokemon mode now as well
    ..that crunch noise you hear in the background is the bottom of the barrel being well and truly scraped....

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

haters gonna hate.
    /end of line

trollers gonna troll :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

no troll. serious dislike for all the negativity for this game. between ingame and forums. if you want to go to SW when it comes out, very well. WoW has been going for 6 yrs now. how many other mmos can say that? Is SWs going to be really that much different from WoW you think?

Different? Most definitely! Better? Hopefully! and looking highly likely considering the state of wow at the moment...

There was a time when wow was a good game, it used to be a really good MMO, over time they made drastic changes to "improve/increase" the amount of subscribers. These changes in my opinion ruined the game and made it boring/unfun.

Arena, easy/heroic modes, flying mounts, loading into instances... i could go on, all reducing the need to actually participate in the open world that makes an MMO..

But yeah, im a hater, so im gonna hate :rolleyes:

All these new MMO's coming out with fresh ideas and wow with its millions upon millions of dollas and the best they can come up with is carebears, pokemon pet battles and a new diluted talent system (again)

I want nothing more than wow to succeed, all my characters going to waste instead, alota love gone into them. And all because they havent got the balls to make the necessary changes (cuts) to make the game what it once was.. Fun..

Putting more/bigger sails on a sinking ship aint gonna make me buy it ;)

</ramble>

SW will just come and go. people will complain about wow as always. people will still buy it and play it. anyone who says they will not, is lying to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

jabberwock wrote: »
    no troll. serious dislike for all the negativity for this game. between ingame and forums. if you want to go to SW when it comes out, very well. WoW has been going for 6 yrs now. how many other mmos can say that? Is SWs going to be really that much different from WoW you think?

So,there has been a lot of in game negativity. It would be fun to see what the in game chat has been saying about the kung fu panda expansion.Yea I want different, bring on GW2.

GW2 pvp sounds amazing. finally level playing field allowing skill to be the decider. hopefully it ends up being what was said it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I Loved the expansion update for one reason that has been pointed out the desperation or fear from blizzard. Don't get me wrong I play it and like it for what it is to me but it's clear it has got complacent and nobody can argue different.

Let's face it though with what ? 6-7 years? Of dominate and wiping out many other mmo's you would be to . I think though they are finally seeing the writing in the wall, games like swtor which will bring with it such a fan base or gw with it's polish.

This is a good thning if they build on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

I personally feel (As a non WoW player) that Blizzard are just trying anything that they can to keep people playing the game.

I have heard from some of my friends who play WoW said that since 4.2, the game is just boring and nothing is intresting, and in some cases, a couple of them has stopped playing WoW all together.

While I see MoP as a big expansion update, I can personally see alot of people leaving the game and moving onto different MMO's such as SWTOR (Which I believe alot of people are doing).

Final Words, WoW is pretty much done and dusted, time for Blizzard to move on and work on something new.

(And No, I am not bashing WoW players what-so-ever)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

SW will just come and go. people will complain about wow as always. people will still buy it and play it. anyone who says they will not, is lying to themselves.
    If they come up with sh!te like this expansion in future , no , they wont.
    Pokemon, Kung fu pandas, ala carte talent trees.Screw that.I'm done
    And this is someone who played from launch week up till august of this year.
    (and no you cant have my stuff..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

This looks like a complete farce to be honest.
    WoW was a great game for years, looks like its lost the plot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

Two things captivated me most when I first played WoW at the tail end of Vanilla. Firstly it was the scale of the world and the amount of people playing. This was my first MMO so seeing that many people around really amazed me. Taking time to move from point to point wasn't frustrating it was a marvel to me, it just showed that they had created an actual world and going through contested territory on a PVP server was genuinely exciting.

The second thing that drew me in was the notion of team work and boss mechanics, working as a small cog in a bigger wheel. 3 expansions later and I have seen the majority of boss mechanics and hats off to Blizzard, 4.2 had interesting mechanics and I am sure 5.0 will have the same. The trade off for interesting mechanics is easier content making progression way too attainable. Changes to make the game more accessible and save time playing have really reduced it as a Massive Multiplayer game. Raids are self sustaining (no farming so you literally have no need to leave the capital city because of summons and dungeon transportation. That's where most of the QQ and general boredom comes into it, sitting in general chat waiting for a queue to pop or worse still not needing any valor gear and having nothing to do for the week once raids are over.

My game playing time is reduced but I could still raid two evenings a week if needed. The odd raid I do we clear everything on normal (or a good few on heroic if I wanted to) in 3 hours. That's a drastic time reduction and it's something over the years I thought I would be happy to see but when it arrived I'm genuinely not happy with it. There is no happy medium between modern raiding and TBC raiding from a time and preparation commitment and to me that's after leaving a mental disconnect between me and my characters progression. I really hope the new expansion tries to open up the world again and make raiding somewhat of a commitment. An MMO is meant to be time consuming by it's nature but now WoW feels more like a console game that you can pick up, effectively clear and put away for another week. The initial feature set from the announcement does smell of desperation but they will get people buying it and playing the game purely because they are fans of the game. I know I will buy it, I probably won't raid full time ever again but I would like to see how the game develops and see the new encounters and zone that they will build. I definitely will be critical of the game but my criticism comes as a long standing fan and player.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

It's kind of odd that people are surprised by the announcement since it's been known for months, Blizzard applied for the trademark back in July.

IMO though, if Blizzard wanted to take the focus off SWTOR, they would have been better off announcing their next MMO instead.
    no troll. serious dislike for all the negativity for this game. between ingame and forums. if you want to go to SW when it comes out, very well. WoW has been going for 6 yrs now. how many other mmos can say that?
    Most of them, actually. Hell SWG was a complete mess, yet lasted 8 years.

Overall though, there are some interesting concepts, but the trailer especially is very much 'meh'. It'll probably still be pretty good quality content as usual, but there's no enough different in the setting/style to make me want to resub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Yetsemegi Tsetsu

Hey, you can play as a cow or a space goat, right? Why not a panda? Check out the Usagi Yojimbo comics by Stan Sakai for anthropomorphic Asian greatness.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I said before THIS expansion even came out that blizzard had fucked it up and imo i was correct. cata was just wotlk+1. No massive pve changes, no massive pvp changes, no new classes, no new professions (archeologylol) just "revamped 1-60" content. Yeah, thats not what people want and its been proven by the dramatically lower populations.

This expansion is even worse by the looks of things. Pandas and Pokemon pet battles? They might as well include a wii controller with it.

Unsubbed at the moment and nothings going to change that.

A few things to clear up though.
    PvE has been made borishly easy (Wasn't ICC cleared within a week of release? You never had that sort of thing with the likes of, say, Naxxramus in Vanilla or TBC content
    ICC may have been the quickest clear (no idea what was) but end content was ALWAYS cleared ridiculously quick by high end guilds willing to invest the time in it. IIRC Ouro is the longest standing boss by a long shot, with HC Rag in the top 5 i think.

wow was groundbreaking 6 years ago. even 2 years ago it was still the best show in town. Right now, even though theres nothing actually better out there, its right there for the taking. If SWTOR doesnt do it, Titan defintely will.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,167 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You mean this wasn't a giant pisstake?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

For me, I'll put the best example like this.

You're watching The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers.
    An epic siege is taking place, the Uruk-Hai and Orcs are smashing in the walls of Helm's Deep, as the brave Warrior's of Rohan fight in a last stand battle for their very survival.
    Friends lay dead, the walls are collapsing, you dread the thought of what will happen to wife and children should you die. You're desperate for a new hope, something that can save you from the terror just moments away.

And then THIS comes to save you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

To be fair, the struggle popular games have is that they have to appeal to an audience with a wide range of skills. So they need to provide interesting challenges to people who are new to the game (new in experience\skills and equipment etc), and also be challenging for experienced players (skilled players with potentially good equipment etc), without being frustrating for these groups, or the myriad groups inbetween.

Heroics were a good way to deal with the two extremes, but they did quickly become the default. Hopefully the epic modes or whatever the new type is will provide some greater challenge to experienced players, but don't be surprised if they do get "nerfed". Players who should only be playing the lower level of difficulty, will always be striving to get into the harder modes just for the loot, and this frustrates them when they can't complete, and frustrates the groups they are with when the group fails.

I think this problem is always a bit more complicated than the black and white way it is portrayed. I'm not sure if there is an easy answer to addressing people's psychological desire to attain teh phat lewtz, and yet to marry this with "successful" players desire to remain challenged (even though week to week these experienced players will be better versed in tactics, be more skilled through repetition, and more effective through gearing up).

In the end, it's in everyone's interest that the playerbase remains large, this is what pays the bills, which supplies new content, features and challenges for casual\hardcore players alike. I'm pretty sure that's Blizzard's goal (since it just happens to make them wheelbarrows of cash).

Anyway, back to whining about pandas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

What blizzard need to do in regards to wow, is grow with its player base. Its out how long now 5- 6 years. Granted i started playing in my twenties and a lot of people playing since then would have been teenagers who are now in their twenties and instead of trying to grow with the massive player base they are trying to pull in people which is a bad move considering they have around 7-8 mil subscriber's. Instead of maturing with the consumer they are going this route which if i was still playing would not have made me a happy stv camper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

RopeDrink wrote: »
    My point on ICC was just a general example. What I really meant intended to be a bit deeper than that. For example, when Heroics were introduced in TBC, they were without a doubt "HEROIC" - I fondly remember being mauled many times with groups trying to complete, say, Shattered Halls HC on the quest timer - Even got vids of other Heroics that took as long a raids to clear (All pre-nerf of course) - Then they got nerfed... Then the heroics released in WotLK... Well, you may as well have done a Normal instance, it wasn't much different. A typical WotLK Heroic daily took 10mins and was a mere zerg to the end. Cataclysm added a few more interesting twists and mechanics but ultimately they're all pretty much just as easy (And thats me saying it as someone who DIDN'T take the time to become omg uber geared enough to zerg it like it was nothing) - Without doing so it was still quick'n'easy with no intention of changing that, it seems.
    I actually don't think WotLK heroics were all that much easier than TBC ones at the same gear level. In greens/blues they were still tricky enough, in fact even Loken caused problems early on.

The main issue why it felt so easy was (as you mention) the ridiculously undertuned Naxx and OS, meaning people geared up far far quicker than they should have been able to.

• Advertisement

TBC heroics were hardcore, wotlk content was a walk over in comparison.

Loken was the only boss who provided a challenge at first and that just proved how dumbed down and idiotic most people were at the game. As the fight was easy once you knew what to do, but they still ended up nerfing him instead of waiting on people to use their head.

Advertisement