Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Offical Christmas street lights Thread.

Options
  • 22-10-2011 1:02am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just heard someone say that the Christmas lights are being switched on in London on November the 1st. :eek:
    I can't wait until Dublin (and elsewhere!) is festooned with Christmas lights, especially since the new ones on Henry Street and Grafton Street are so fabulous now. I just think it makes the whole place look amazing, with beautiful sparkly lights everywhere.
    Even if I've had a really bad day, I cannot walk down Grafton Street, and see those lights without immediately cheering up. They make me so happy! :)

imagesCAAV3FQZ.jpg

Come on!! Put the lights up!!! :D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Totally agree with you Posy, there is something magical about them for lifting the spirits.

This would make a great thread for pics of Christmas lights, it would be lovely to see the lights from different cities.:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

DSCN1284a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Really nice pic Posy, I hope this thread takes on a life of it's own.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Oh my god I don't know if there is anyone on here from Cork that can confirm this but I think I saw Christmas lights along Opera Lane last Wednesday night when I was heading for the bus! :-o

The cables are all up across Grafton Street today, in preparation for the lights. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

I read somewhere that the lights in Dublin aren't being switched on until 27th Nov this year. Devastated!!! 3 years ago, they switched them on, on the 9th and alot of people complained that it was too early.....

Can't find the link now and when I search it just brings up past years dates. I hope they change the date. I love taking the kids into town for the switch on, really marks the begining of Christmas for me as I normally go home and put my decorations up.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Love2love wrote: »
    I read somewhere that the lights in Dublin aren't being switched on until 27th Nov this year. Devastated!!! 3 years ago, they switched them on, on the 9th and alot of people complained that it was too early.....

Can't find the link now and when I search it just brings up past years dates. I hope they change the date. I love taking the kids into town for the switch on, really marks the begining of Christmas for me as I normally go home and put my decorations up.

I would be VERY surprised if they do not go up until the 27th, surely the city traders will want people shopping as early as possible considering what a bad year it was economically wise, and what better way to kick start the Christmas shopping season but with turning on the lights!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

1890030AEBC84EC3AF2665FE8F2BE2B3-640.jpg

From 2 years ago now.

Hopefully I'm going to get to this event over in Cornwall in a few weeks- VERY excited!!

Liskeard Lights Up
    The annual parade of lights around the streets of Liskeard is happening this year on the evening of Saturday 3rd December 2011. Local schools and community groups will once more be taking part having spent weeks in preparation creating paper lanterns for the parade. This year the theme is The Circus and the town will be bustling with live music and entertainment including East Cornwall Bach Choir and Liskeard Ladies Choir from 10am. Santa will be in his grotto 10am-12 noon and 1.30-3.30pm. The day will be concluded by fireworks and the switch on of the town's Christmas lights.

:D:D:D:D

lockie1983 wrote: »
    I would be VERY surprised if they do not go up until the 27th, surely the city traders will want people shopping as early as possible considering what a bad year it was economically wise, and what better way to kick start the Christmas shopping season but with turning on the lights!

http://www.visitdublin.com/event/Festival_of_Light

According to this, it will be on the 27th November. Still hoping it changes though!

Lights are being switched on in Dun Laoghaire on the 20th, this is actually good for a small town. They have a parade and a firework display too.

The Christmas lights are up on Clarendon Street and Coppinger Row in Dublin. :)

• Advertisement

Lights are up on Henry Street today. Move it, Grafton! :-)
    Hope they turn them on before the 27th of November, I want to see them all lit up NOW!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭four18

For all you christmas lovers (me included ! ) The overhead lights are nearly up in Henry St and Talbot St in Dublin. I have not been up towards Grafton St Yet :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

Hey. Ya I saw the lights up in Henry St on Saturday. It's not too far away now and tomorrow it's November!!

They've been up for a few days now. :):)

Found this link, saying the lights are being turned on, on the 13th Nov! Cannot find a year on the page so I hope its this year! Fingers crossed!

Can anyone confirm??

http://www.dublincitybid.ie/members/upcoming-events/

I emailed Dublin BID asking for the info rather than just guessing! Here is the info they supplied for anyone who is interested. The lights are being switched on in Henry Street Dublin on Sunday 13th November and Grafton Street on the 18th November.

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=5aysj6dab&v=001Msfh5C4b-ac6pcePqwUEhaIPzMH1DvTAmAE-138DATQ4EuT1VyVcmcogYBptB3pT1y10v7Hj21I7Z_NzTL910Fy7ZbATSfsQ8SjS59DrwLtjZ_hb8wOk5Atg8FFG-6c5

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Think the lights and the colours are my favourite part of Christmas. Everything looks so much nicer and happier in Christmas. Really looking forward to decorating my classroom for the Christmas season :D

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭merlie

According to www.visitdublin.com the Festival of Lights aka switching on the Christmas street lights will take place on the 27th November of this year

http://www.visitdublin.com/event/Festival_of_Light

Looking forward to it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Oh wow, I wanna go to London NOW!!!!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Posy wrote: »
    Oh wow, I wanna go to London NOW!!!!!! :D

I'm going in 3 weeks:D

The Grafton Street lights are up, yippeeeee!! :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

I'm gonna be in NYC for the lighting of the Rockefeller Tree! :D \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

The lights are up in Arklow since yesterday, not sure when they are turning them on though. I like the lights on the top of the main streets, they just have white fairy-type lights along each side of the road.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Alicat wrote: »
    I'm gonna be in NYC for the lighting of the Rockefeller Tree! :D \o/

Pics! We demand pics.

Pics from everyone!!
    Of everywhere you go with Christmas lights!! :D

The lights have been switched on in Dublin City! It's obviously the test run but I'm so excited, they look amazing! :):):)

04112011261BO2.jpg

04112011260emmbo.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,823 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Is that just a test run? I'm moving to Dublin tomorrow and would love to see the switching on in a few weeks time. :)

Advertisement