Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

iMessage for Dummies -an organic guide.

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

They all charge for iMessage activation been with all the networks in Ireland all them charge for the international text.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Is it just me or is the fallback to SMS functionality in iMessage really dumb?

Example: Recently I was in an area with very poor coverage. No 3G, just E with no data. iMessages weren’t sending, so I manually sent them as SMS. The contact was receiving the SMSs but I wasn’t receiving any of their replies. Despite having Send as SMS enabled on their end, none of their attempted iMessages fell back to SMS. I simply didn’t receive any of their messages until I got to a place with 3G coverage, which was several hours later.

Another example: I was texting a work colleague who has an iPhone but was having some issue with their cellular data, meaning they weren’t receiving iMessages until they connected to WiFi at home. I was manually sending as SMS but again was receiving no response, either until they got home or until the next day when they noticed their iMessage reply to me had failed.

Last example: I’m connected to my home WiFi but my ISP goes down. Despite having a perfectly working 3G network to fallback to, both for iMessage and data, my phone decides to do nothing and receive no iMessages and have no internet until I manually disable WiFi.

Anyone else have annoying issues like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,904 ✭✭✭dodzy

Is it just me or is the fallback to SMS functionality in iMessage really dumb?

Example: Recently I was in an area with very poor coverage. No 3G, just E with no data. iMessages weren’t sending, so I manually sent them as SMS. The contact was receiving the SMSs but I wasn’t receiving any of their replies. Despite having Send as SMS enabled on their end, none of their attempted iMessages fell back to SMS. I simply didn’t receive any of their messages until I got to a place with 3G coverage, which was several hours later.

Another example: I was texting a work colleague who has an iPhone but was having some issue with their cellular data, meaning they weren’t receiving iMessages until they connected to WiFi at home. I was manually sending as SMS but again was receiving no response, either until they got home or until the next day when they noticed their iMessage reply to me had failed.

Last example: I’m connected to my home WiFi but my ISP goes down. Despite having a perfectly working 3G network to fallback to, both for iMessage and data, my phone decides to do nothing and receive no iMessages and have no internet until I manually disable WiFi.

Anyone else have annoying issues like this?

All of the above at one time or other, plus the gob****es who send imessages to you and you receive said message from their email address, not their phone number. Unfortunately, its all down to network reliability and contacts who have profiles set up wrong etc. Sadly, it's got to the stage now where I have imessage deactivated a lot of the time. Sad really, as it'd be a great tool in the perfect world.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 groovy123

what annoys me is when somebody gets a new phone thats not apple and your sending texts but they dont recieve them because they are imessage and you have no clue they are not getting them... very frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 8,506 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

groovy123 wrote: »
    what annoys me is when somebody gets a new phone thats not apple and your sending texts but they dont recieve them because they are imessage and you have no clue they are not getting them... very frustrating

They should be de registering iMessage when switching platform.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 groovy123

yeh but most people dont know that and just get phone number transferred.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

groovy123 wrote: »

I don't find that as a problem. It will first send as an imessage but after about 5 mins it will auto resend as a normal message( the phone will message will turn green with a text saying "sent as text msg". Also if the signal to another iphone is bad with no data it will do the same. Works everytime with me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭guil

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I don't find that as a problem. It will first send as an imessage but after about 5 mins it will auto resend as a normal message( the phone will message will turn green with a text saying "sent as text msg". Also if the signal to another iphone is bad with no data it will do the same. Works everytime with me

Send as text message is disabled by default. Most people wouldn't know about the setting or how to enable it.

Advertisement