Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you be willing to die to save your child?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

KeithAFC wrote: »
    You can always have another child though. So you don't need to put yourself at risk. You can always remember that child but you will still be alive and be able to have another one. That way you can be happy and have time to reflect.

Keith, I hope to God you're joking. You'd rather die to protect your shithole of a 'country' than the life of a child, because you can always replace the dead child with another one?

It's a person, not a fucking computer. Jesus Christ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

How can people who don't have kids know how they'd feel anyway? Although some of the comments here make me glad they're not parents, and long may that last. I'm not a parent so I can't be accused of smugness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

so heres the setting: you and your 4 year old son are are one of the last people on earth, some kind of apacolypse has killed eryone else on earth,months has passed and other survivors have scavenged left over food or most food has perished. you find some piece of food somehwere, one of you can eat it and live forever and then the one of you doesnt eat it will die, you cant share it or both of youll die. and your answer is youd take the food yourself and scoof it down and let your 4 year old die:confused: i know this is sort of stupid but thats what your sayin....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Snakeblood wrote: »
    What if you were wrong and he was actually Charlie Chaplin?

Well what if you were wrong about that and he was in fact Robert Downey Jr?

Anyone who wouldn't die for their kids should rent this movie.

John Q

Its based on a true story.

• Advertisement

You can always have another child though. So you don't need to put yourself at risk. You can always remember that child but you will still be alive and be able to have another one. That way you can be happy and have time to reflect.
    Jesus Christ... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Dudess wrote: »
    It is true. You can save yourself and then have the time to move on and have another child and at least be happy. You can reflect in later life to the death of your child but you can always remember the happy times. You can't do any of that if you die.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭jimmymal

Lavezzi wrote: »
    Also, shouldn't your child be the one willing to give up his/her life for you? I mean, YOU gave him/her life. He/she did NOT give you life. Therefore, your child OWES YOU his/her life. You do NOT owe your child your life, only your support. So doesn't society have it BACKWARDS?

whilst i dont believe that the statement above it correct in any way shape or form i have found myself recently thinking and talking about the emphasis and increasing value put upon lives of children in the modern day.

reading some of the posts from these super mighty people willing to die for other peoples kids is kind of sickening really, so full of absolute ****e. If thats really the case go ahead, there's plenty of kids dying as we speak go put yourselves on the line for them.

i dont have children myself, might do someday and i can see what zen means when guardianship kicks in and that a person naturally assumes that role. i imagine thats what being a parent is all about.

I also thought of a scenario where there is a birthing problem before reading lavezzis which is similar.
    the mothers life and the babies life hang in the balance due to some complication in labour. one must survive so that the other can live. she is unconscious and the decision is mine. i would not or could not let my partner die for the sake of the all but born child. the investment we have in each other would completely outway anything the baby could bring to the table making this decision would be a no brainer.
    i tend to agree that i would risk life and limb, and would probably give my life for my childs(at least3+) if i had one, but im not sure i would be happy if my partner would do the same.

this overall debate depends on age both on my side and on the childs side, on how many kids i have, if the mother is still alive, the kids and mine own general health. never could it be black and white but a bit of both at either end of an age scale and a whole lot of grey in the middle.

logic and emotion would both be involved and its very easy to claim you would exchange your own life for that of your offspring but would you make that exchange if it was your partners life at stake rather than your own.

(provided you're still together and are bothered)

Dudess wrote: »
    It is true. You can save yourself and then have the time to move on and have another child and at least be happy. You can reflect in later life to the death of your child but you can always remember the happy times. You can't do any of that if you die.
    You can go to the supermarket and get a new one... is pretty much your take on it. So profoundly ludicrous one wouldn't know where to start. So... what if the parents can't have another? Or what if the trauma makes a new child too much for them? What if they can't be happy? So many what ifs and it really depends on the individuals, but don't let that stop you from making an assessment built on not much...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

I think I would try to save a child at the risk of my own. They haven't got to live yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

I've only read the first post of this thread, and it is one of the most depressing things I've ever heard in my life.

Imagine if your own parent wasn't willing to die for you.

Holy mother of f**k.

P.S. My shock actually needed a second post.

I've just noticed that people have actually replied and entertained this guy's opinion. Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I'm personally shocked beyond belief by some of what's been said / suggested.

Just when I thought my faith in humanity couldn't get any lower. Sad times.

In other news, personally I would die for ANYbody who was younger than me, family or not. That's how I feel. Don't ask "but why, but why" or say "logic this, logic that." It's human emotion - it's not f*cking logical. We're not robots.

Anyone who tried to bring logic into this discussion is dead on the inside, as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Deki wrote: »
    I think I would try to save a child at the risk of my own. They haven't got to live yet.
    Very true Deki,you/me might have had 20,30,40 or 50 years of life at least.The child may only have lived a couple of years,So yes I would put my life on the line to save a child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

And how could I live with myself if I didn't try?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

His reason does logically have sound reason, but there has been times where I have thrown myself in front of a car for my dog. So anyone who does not give there own life for there child is a chicken siht and seriously does not deserved to be called a man.

BTW I love my country but my family is way more important than some fcuking geography.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Lavezzi

It has become a cliche to say, "I wouldn't hesitate to give up my life to save my children. They are everything to me."
    soterpisc wrote: »
    Pathetic ..... I would do anything to save my kids. They mean everything to me.

Behold, sheepism at it's finest..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Sheepism ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Lavezzi

deisedave wrote: »
    So anyone who does not give there own life for there child is a chicken siht and seriously does not deserved to be called a man.

Does not deserved to be called a man? Why? One of the main traits of men is that they are able to use logic over emotion. To save your child's life over yours is an emotional decision, not a logical one (for reasons I've previously explained). A trait of the opposite gender is to use emotion over logic, so I should say anyone who DOES give their own life for their child seriously does not deserve to be called a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Does not deserved to be called a man? Why? One of the main traits of men is that they are able to use logic over emotion. To save your child's life over yours is an emotional decision, not a logical one (for reasons I've previously explained). A trait of the opposite gender is to use emotion over logic, so I should say anyone who DOES give their own life for their child seriously does not deserve to be called a man.

A real man would be selfless in that situation.

You are as far from what defines a real man as is humanly possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭jimmymal

whirlpool wrote: »
    P.S. My shock actually needed a second post.

I've just noticed that people have actually replied and entertained this guy's opinion. Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I'm personally shocked beyond belief by some of what's been said / suggested.

Just when I thought my faith in humanity couldn't get any lower. Sad times.

In other news, personally I would die for ANYbody who was younger than me, family or not. That's how I feel. Don't ask "but why, but why" or say "logic this, logic that." It's human emotion - it's not f*cking logical. We're not robots.

Anyone who tried to bring logic into this discussion is dead on the inside, as far as I'm concerned.

surely you can lay your life down right away so, there's plenty of young people needing transplants in this country alone. go die for them and provide them with life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Piglet85

And what exactly is your problem with people making an emotional decision? Where did you get the idea that logic > emotion in all cases? :confused:

It has become a cliche to say, "I wouldn't hesitate to give up my life to save my children. They are everything to me."
    soterpisc wrote: »
    Pathetic ..... I would do anything to save my kids. They mean everything to me.

Maybe consider the possibility that they genuinely mean it, and that the sheep stuff is all in your head? A notion that you think is high falluting?
    People don't always follow the crowd, despite your arrogant notion that they do, just because they disagree with your nutty ideals. Emotion and logic don't have to be mutually exclusive - if people find your view cold and heartless, they're entitled. Calling them sheeple to deflect from your repugnant notions doesn't change anything. Don't get upset at people not sharing your view - oh and learn what sheeple means. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It is true. You can save yourself and then have the time to move on and have another child and at least be happy..

They're not fucking consumer durables that you pop down to the supermarket and replace if the existing one breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

If we were in a burning building yes, that whole save yourself then help others if you can would not apply hypothetically, if it was a matter of organ donation, yes although to be quite honest I would prefer is someone else donated their organ as it would be difficult for your child to grow up with out its parent, on the flip side I would rather die and let my child live than live and live with the death of my child which I could of prevented. I see it like well I chose to give you life I've had a life and I would do anything that give you a good life.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Not only would I die for any member of my family without thinking about it, I would also have a very serious look at my relationship if I was with a man who said he wouldn't die to save his own child.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

In that case, how lucky the sheep are. At least they know what love is.

"Sheepism at it's finest?"

I hate to break it to you, but if you wear clothes, you're a "sheep." If you get a haircut, you're a "sheep." If you do anything that other humans do, because you wouldn't feel comfortable not doing it then, yep you better believe it, you're a "sheep." :rolleyes:

jimmymal wrote: »
    surely you can lay your life down right away so, there's plenty of young people needing transplants in this country alone. go die for them and provide them with life.

That is a good point. I guess I wouldn't actually die for just "anyone" then. In hindsight, I shouldn't have said that because it's not true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It must be hard being a father at 14?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Millions of people have died in wars for just that ,so their kids could live and have a better life which is not some old fcuking cliche , it's the truth and yes , I would die to save my children as I'm sure most parents would .What better way to give your own life by saving one of your own ?

Advertisement