Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you be willing to die to save your child?

Options
  • 20-10-2011 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

My girlfriend was shocked to hear that I would not be willing to die to save our child. I responded by saying that I was shocked that she was willing to.

So I was wondering, how many of you would be willing to die to save your child? Seriously? See the poll above.

I think most people say that they would. It has become a cliche almost to say, "I wouldn't hesitate to give up my life to save my children. They are everything to me. They are my reason for living. I would die to save them."

Now, I don't understand the logic behind this. Why is valuing someone else's life ABOVE yours considered a good thing or an act of love? Why should I love someone else more than myself? Why not love someone else equally as much as myself? Why do people think that true love means being willing to die for another? Who came up with this strange idea? Is it natural or programmed?

Remember, your child is technically another person. He/she is not you. If you die, your consciousness and awareness does not continue in your child. He is another separate sentient being, separate from you. So why do people treat their child's life as if it were equal to or of higher value than their own, since the child is a separate consciousness?

Also, shouldn't your child be the one willing to give up his/her life for you? I mean, YOU gave him/her life. He/she did NOT give you life. Therefore, your child OWES YOU his/her life. You do NOT owe your child your life, only your support. So doesn't society have it BACKWARDS?

So what if I do not value my child's life above mine? Does that mean that there's something wrong with me? Am I obligated to change my values and beliefs, just because society says so? How can I believe something I don't, simply because society or other people say so?

Dianne said that the reason she would die to save our son is because she has lived longer than him, and he hasn't experienced the world yet. I don't think that's a good reason. So what if someone is younger than you? That doesn't make his/her life more valuable than yours. Would you die to save the life of a beggar child on the street who is younger than you? It would be foolish to do so.

Nature is cruel, cold and heartless. It has no morals. It does not believe in a "sanctity of life". Even in the peaceful forest, there is violence everywhere, as ants and insects and animals are killing each other for survival. All life is vampiric in that it takes energy from other life in order to survive. We all have to protect, preserve and better ourselves, in order to survive and prosper. Being selfish is not a bad thing if it helps you survive. Helping others is not a bad thing either. But there is no logic in being willing to die or let yourself be killed to save someone else. That's taking it too far and seems like a human created virtue/value.

Don't forget to vote above.

Would you be willing to die to save your child? 463 votes

Yes I would.
    0% 0 votes
    No I wouldn't.
    91% 424 votes
    I'm not sure, or I don't want to think about this hypothetical situation.
    8% 39 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Lavezzi wrote: »
    My girlfriend was shocked to hear that I would not be willing to die to save my child. I responded by saying that I was shocked that she was willing to.

So I was wondering, how many of you would be willing to die to save your child? Seriously? See the poll above.

I think most people say that they would. It has become a cliche almost to say, "I wouldn't hesitate to give up my life to save my children. They are everything to me. They are my reason for living. I would die to save them."

Now, I don't understand the logic behind this. Why is valuing someone else's life ABOVE yours considered a good thing or an act of love? Why should I love someone else more than myself? Why not love someone else equally as much as myself? Why do people think that true love means being willing to die for another? Who came up with this strange idea? Is it natural or programmed?

Remember, your child is technically another person. He/she is not you. If you die, your consciousness and awareness does not continue in your child. He is another separate sentient being, separate from you. So why do people treat their child's life as if it were equal to or of higher value than their own, since the child is a separate consciousness?

Also, shouldn't your child be the one willing to give up his/her life for you? I mean, YOU gave him/her life. He/she did NOT give you life. Therefore, your child OWES YOU his/her life. You do NOT owe your child your life, only your support. So doesn't society have it BACKWARDS?

So what if I do not value my child's life above mine? Does that mean that there's something wrong with me? Am I obligated to change my values and beliefs, just because society says so? How can I believe something I don't, simply because society or other people say so?

Dianne said that the reason she would die to save our son is because she has lived longer than him, and he hasn't experienced the world yet. I don't think that's a good reason. So what if someone is younger than you? That doesn't make his/her life more valuable than yours. Would you die to save the life of a beggar child on the street who is younger than you? It would be foolish to do so.

Nature is cruel, cold and heartless. It has no morals. It does not believe in a "sanctity of life". Even in the peaceful forest, there is violence everywhere, as ants and insects and animals are killing each other for survival. All life is vampiric in that it takes energy from other life in order to survive. We all have to protect, preserve and better ourselves, in order to survive and prosper. Being selfish is not a bad thing if it helps you survive. Helping others is not a bad thing either. But there is no logic in being willing to die or let yourself be killed to save someone else. That's taking it too far and seems like a human created virtue/value.

Of course I would ya bloody coward

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭parrai

My girlfriend was shocked to hear that I would not be willing to die to save my child. I responded by saying that I was shocked that she was willing to.

Do you have children?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Id take a bullet for my dog let alone my child.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

What if you have more than one child? Changes everything imo.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Don't have kids, and never intend to have any, so I really don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

I'd be willing to die to save YOUR child !!! How selfish are you to let a child die to save yourself ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I really can't even imagine a situation like this. I'm pretty selfish about having my own life, but could I live with myself knowing I let my child die? This is a pretty horrible thing to even hypothesise about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

To give your life for someone else is considered the greatest sacrifice of all. Express ticket to VIP lounge in heaven and all that

The OP has a point though, people do say these things but when push comes to shove how many people really are prepared to make that sacrifice?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,577 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The bond a parent has with their child extends even to the animal kingdom. Of course a parent would die to save their child. It is the natural thing to do and little to do with bravery at all. There is nothing more important than your child.
    OP you obviously have no kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Now, I don't understand the logic behind this.

It's not a logical decision. It's probably not even a conscious one.

Most people would instinctively die for their children.

(Note: I don't have kids myself)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Lavezzi

parrai wrote: »
    Do you have children?

Yes, a four year old boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Our only Raison d'être is to reproduce, so yes is the answer.

/sits back and awaits the inevitable trashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

There are people in every town and city in the country who are going hungry so that their child(ren) can eat and who themsleves wait for leftover scraps if there lucky and happens to be any. This is absolutely happening in Ireland today.

They are not doing it becuase society tells them to.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭parrai

Are they in a situation that requires you to make this decision?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

This is surely a pisstake?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I have a disabled child and well a "normal" child. I would gladly die to save either of them. There is a selfish reason for this but. I could not live without either one. Sometimes i regret saying that but its true.

Furthermore. One day i will die and meet my maker. Me and him have some serious sparing to do. I dont think its fair what he has done to my child. So really not only will i die but i also imagine i would give up my soul for them.

Now for my wife. No women is worth dying for. Not even one with nice breasts :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Artur Foden

It's not really a matter of willingness but more an instinctual need to protect, i would bet your brain doesn't even think about the death aspect, it just makes you protect your child

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishejit

Only for the length of the post I'd suspect a troll...

When you have your own kids you'll soon change your mind. It's not about societies expectations as you say, its got bugger all to do with that. It's human nature to want to protect your children. How'd you think we ever came out of those caves. If the human race had your take on having kids we wouldn't be here as a species today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Fcuk that, just make another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Nope. Would not be worth it. Better to do so for your country but not your child imo. It is only one person and as sad as it might be, you can get another one if you survive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Also, shouldn't your child be the one willing to give up his/her life for you? I mean, YOU gave him/her life. He/she did NOT give you life. Therefore, your child OWES YOU his/her life.

You think that four year old child owes you his life because you created him ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Yes I would if it was my only child, no I wouldnt if I had other children. Also, depends on the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

You should explain your argument to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Yes I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

The-Rigger wrote: »
    What if you have more than one child? Changes everything imo.

Having spares is important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

What if your child was Hitler?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Don't have kids, and never intend to have any, so I really don't know.

Great contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,913 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Wouldn't even give up a kidney tbh.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

latenia wrote: »

What if you were wrong and he was actually Charlie Chaplin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

latenia wrote: »

I'd give him a good stern talking to about his behaviour.

Advertisement