Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you be willing to die to save your child?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭UCD2010

I don't have a child but I would have no hesitation in dying for someone in my family..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Nope. Would not be worth it. Better to do so for your country but not your child imo. It is only one person and as sad as it might be, you can get another one if you survive.

If the thread was about wanting to have world peace I'm sue you'd disagree with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭UCD2010

Nope. Would not be worth it. Better to do so for your country but not your child imo. It is only one person and as sad as it might be, you can get another one if you survive.

you're joking right? :confused: People aren't replaceable!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Welp, at least you're not in this for the thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,913 ✭✭✭✭Stark

latenia wrote: »
    What if your child was Hitler?

He's not Der Führer, he's a very naughty boy!

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

UCD2010 wrote: »
    you're joking right? :confused: People aren't replaceable!
    Well they are in the sense that you can get another child. I know what you mean about losing a loved one. But if you don't believe in an after life, why should you put your life at risk? Surely it would be better to save yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

By that logic surely you could replace a country of people over time?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Hypothetical question:

You and your family live happy lives with everything they could ever desire BUT your country gets annexed by an oppressive and all-round miserable country (worst country imaginable).

OR

Your country flourishes, becomes a heaven for it's people BUT you and your family are tortured to death (which takes many years).

What do you choose?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

I would give my life without a moments hesitation if if meant saving either of my children.

I did not become a father to see them die before me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

But if you don't believe in an after life, why should you put your life at risk?

You'd have to ask yourself why it is you had children in the first place.

What if your child was also a parent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Pherekydes wrote: »

I wanted a cheap transplant option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Yeah I'd die for my kid. Reason, cause I love him more than myself.

I thought this would have being a given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

For my kids I would die without a thought. For my partner I would do the same. I've put myself at risk of death for my partner once before and it happens instinctively. Luckily we both lived.

What if your child was also a parent?
    Just the natural thing to do. But it doesn't mean you should risk your own life to save your own child. There is animals in the wild which don't put themselves in harm's way to save an offspring.

Just when I thought my opinion of elements of humanity couldn't get any worse, I read this thread..OP, you sadden me really..I hope you're never put in the position of having to make the decision..

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

I don't have children but I would definitely give up my life to save my 14 month old niece. I wouldn't even have to think twice about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

not so in the animal kingdom, they will protect their offspring till their lives are in danger then back the fook up,

so is it natural to defend, but because we are aware of our own mortality we will die while defending.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

stovelid wrote: »
    Great contribution.

I was highlighting the plight of the childless - there's no option in the poll :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Just the natural thing to do. But it doesn't mean you should risk your own life to save your own child. There is animals in the wild which don't put themselves in harm's way to save an offspring.

There are also animals in the wild who will defend their offspring. It depends on the amount of effort that goes into making their issue independent. Humans invest a lot in raising their young, so it's very reasonable that they would protect that investment to a certain extent, otherwise the investment has little value.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Yes I would die for my child without a moments hesitation. He is more intelligent than me and better looking than me. He is also cooler and has a better sense of humour and hes just turned 3. His life will be a lot more fun than mine can ever be. I wouldnt deny him that so I could live out what would seem like a pointless existence without him.

Other kids might change that though. Who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Why should i love someone more than myself??
    OP are your having a laugh really..I feel sorry for your 4yr old son grow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

wouldn't even think twice. I would even agree to be tortured for the rest of my life to save my 5 year old boy.

There are also animals in the wild who will defend their offspring. It depends on the amount of effort that goes into making their issue independent. Humans invest a lot in raising their young, so it's very reasonable that they would protect that investment to a certain extent, otherwise the investment has little value.
    Only because we live in a materialistic world which requires money and jobs and effort in that sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

not so in the animal kingdom, they will protect their offspring till their lives are in danger then back the fook up,

I'm human.

There are a lot of things animals do that I don't like licking their own arse, eating their young snd swimming around in circles all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭parrai

Lavezzi wrote: »
    My girlfriend was shocked to hear that I would not be willing to die to save our child. I responded by saying that I was shocked that she was willing to.

Upon hearing this I think she would be extremely upset...

I think most people say that they would. It has become a cliche almost to say, "I wouldn't hesitate to give up my life to save my children. They are everything to me. They are my reason for living. I would die to save them."

I don't think it is a cliche, i think they have nurtured and guided their flesh and blood, invested their life in their well being, instinctively... and any parent would be emotionally decimated if something were to threaten their childs life.
    Now, I don't understand the logic behind this. Why is valuing someone else's life ABOVE yours considered a good thing or an act of love? Why should I love someone else more than myself? Why not love someone else equally as much as myself? Why do people think that true love means being willing to die for another? Who came up with this strange idea? Is it natural or programmed?

All of these questions are questions you should be asking yourself...i think it should be instinctive... Have you bonded with your son?
    Remember, your child is technically another person. He/she is not you. If you die, your consciousness and awareness does not continue in your child. He is another separate sentient being, separate from you. So why do people treat their child's life as if it were equal to or of higher value than their own, since the child is a separate consciousness?

Normally I would think one would be emotionally attached and this would spark dread in their hearts to be without them, after all they are part of you, it's your son...
    Also, shouldn't your child be the one willing to give up his/her life for you? I mean, YOU gave him/her life. He/she did NOT give you life. Therefore, your child OWES YOU his/her life. You do NOT owe your child your life, only your support. So doesn't society have it BACKWARDS?

Your son is 4! He doesn't even know he is in it... He is depending on you to keep him out of harms way....
    So what if I do not value my child's life above mine? Does that mean that there's something wrong with me? Am I obligated to change my values and beliefs, just because society says so? How can I believe something I don't, simply because society or other people say so?

This is for you to answer to yourself....
    Dianne said that the reason she would die to save our son is because she has lived longer than him, and he hasn't experienced the world yet.

Probably one of a multitude of answers she as a mother could come up with... She carried your son and he is a part of both you and her....
    Nature is cruel, cold and heartless. It has no morals. It does not believe in a "sanctity of life". Even in the peaceful forest, there is violence everywhere, as ants and insects and animals are killing each other for survival.

We are not animals though...

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishejit

This comparison against animals seems ridiculous to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

irishejit wrote: »
    This comparison against animals seems ridiculous to me.

It's usually whipped out to justify sexism so this is a new use, in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

stovelid wrote: »
    I'm human.

There are a lot of things animals do that I don't like licking their own arse, eating their young snd swimming around in circles all day.

there is many who wish they could lick their own holes

there are many people who would not die for their young and would eat them

swimming round in circles would be akin to running round in them

see how alike we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Statistician

If my child died then my life would not be worth living anyway.
    Now, I don't understand the logic behind this. Why is valuing someone else's life ABOVE yours considered a good thing or an act of love? Why should I love someone else more than myself? Why not love someone else equally as much as myself? Why do people think that true love means being willing to die for another? Who came up with this strange idea? Is it natural or programmed?

Remember, your child is technically another person. He/she is not you. If you die, your consciousness and awareness does not continue in your child. He is another separate sentient being, separate from you. So why do people treat their child's life as if it were equal to or of higher value than their own, since the child is a separate consciousness?
    Would you not feel a massive, huge, crushing sense of loss and despair? So terrible that non-existence would be preferable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭VenusPlays

I would without question. I couldn't imagine living in a world without my son now. Without him I doubt I would have anything elsein my life worth hanging on for. I'm a single parent, he's my only child and pretty much the centre of my world.

My Dad saved me from drowning when I was 6. He had 3 other children but put himself at serious risk to make sure I was ok. I just think that instinct would take over for most people.

Advertisement