Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards PPR League Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

padraig_f wrote: »

Maybe:
    e1 vs. e2
    e3 vs. e4

w1 vs. w2
    w3 vs. w4

e5 vs. w5

(possibly unfair on e2 & w2 who gets a tougher match than e3 & w3)

Another idea, top plays bottom from the opposite conference:
    e1 vs. w5
    e2 vs. w4
    e3 vs. w3
    e4 vs. w2
    e5 vs. w1

To me the second suggestion here may be an option, but I'm still more in favour of a random draw. In every fantasy league the schedules are unbalanced, eg. in Div 1 I play 13 games against 13 different teams, there are two teams in the league I don't play at all. These two teams are set at random, as they are for everyone. There is an element of luck in the schedule for everyone, the two teams I don't play could be the best in the league which gives me a big advantage over someone who doesn't play the two worst.

So I have actually done a random draw of teams from the East v teams from the West. I won't put it up yet as we need to agree on if this is how we want to go. I'm still interested to hear what people think, and if they feel strongly about one way or another. I may add that the draw doesn't exactly suit me, as one of those teams on the bubble, but I'm still inclined to go ahead with it as the fairest way of doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

fisgon wrote: »
    To me the second suggestion here may be an option, but I'm still more in favour of a random draw. In every fantasy league the schedules are unbalanced, eg. in Div 1 I play 13 games against 13 different teams, there are two teams in the league I don't play at all. These two teams are set at random, as they are for everyone. There is an element of luck in the schedule for everyone, the two teams I don't play could be the best in the league which gives me a big advantage over someone who doesn't play the two worst.

That's definitely true about the built in element of luck, I don't mind the random East vs. West draw, just throwing some alternatives out there.

I still think I'd edge towards my second option over the random draw because, ok, there's randomness in regular season matchups, but when you get to the playoffs, they're not drawn randomly, they're seeded. So you could say week 14, where we have a decision to make, it's a kind of semi-playoff scenario and there's some benefit to seeding it.

And for the teams it mainly affects, e2,e3,e4,w2,w3,w4, it's guarantees they don't play a (theoretically) very easy or very tough opponent.

But when it comes down to the last game, there's going to be a lot of luck involved anyway, so I don't mind the random draw either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Dude, you dropped Newton? When did that happen, and why? And how did I miss that?

Drafted him on a hunch (and a man-crush), but dropped him in the pre-season. Started thinking I was silly for rating an unproven dual-threat rookie (he was my #2 after Sam Bradford). I didn't make the same mistake twice when Tebow appeared on the horizon.

I'll be sticking with my hunches next season.

I did a draw for Week 14 matchups. Here it is, I think it's fair enough.

Vanilla Thrillas v Pick Sixes

Chicago Bears v Spongeys Bears

Salthill Saints v Slinger/Lomira Owls/Lions

Donoughmore Dynamos v Team Lanigan

Inchicore Warriors v Dangerous Rebels

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Fine with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

The battle of the Bears in the final week is fine with me

Looks like I'm not going to have any shot at the playoffs now, playing Spongey this week, my rival for the playoff spot, and will lose if MJD gets 8 points tonight, which I think is a lock. Absolutely killed by injuries, this week and all year, lost Andre J and Forte in the middle of their games yesterday, Forte after five carries, lost Schaub 2 weeks ago and Bradshaw and Julio Jones have been banged up for weeks.

Yeah, I know, boo hoo. Still, had a really good team, healthy, I reckon I had a real shot at the playoffs and maybe the league. Next year.

Need a 20 point game from VJax to win this week's game, he's liable to either do nothing or get 30 points. C'mon bro, do it for Daddy Norv.

EDIT: 17 points for VJax and half-time. Even one postive yards reception of any hue would probably be enough now. And if VJax would be kind enough to call it a day after that and let Gates get a TD for me (in LTTP where I'm up against VJax) I'll win that match-up too. It'd be a great week for a sweep!

Wow, Jackson stayed at 17. Not a point in the 2nd half!

Helped the Warriors leap into first place though, so I'm not complaining.

Huge last week for the 3 of us fighting for those 2 play off spots :)

Just as a matter of interest, the final week fixtures that were picked at random has actually ended up as the e1 v w5, e2 v w4, e3 v w3, e4 v w2 & e5 v w1 that some people were looking for.

Got my wildcard place booked as 2 teams cant overtake me, happy days.

Oh and the three of ye in the west maybe competing for the lead in that division but you must also include Team Lanigan from the east who currently holds that final wildcard spot. Its the division winners and the 2 best records that get into the playoffs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I thought it was just the top 2 in each division going to the playoffs?

adrian522 wrote: »
    I thought it was just the top 2 in each division going to the playoffs?

Yep. Semi finals and a final.

Spongey isn't safe ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

OK, so how are ties decided in the event that we have the same record?

I only have a chance if I win and Spongey loses.

We have played each other twice, won one each.

I assume it will then go to PF-PA

Spongey currently is +20, with me being +6.

Lads check the projected playoff tab in the standings section. It shows Team Lanigan as the #4 seed and he is 3rd in the east. That indicates to me that its not the top 2 in each division but the division winners and the next 2 best records. Unless i am totally wrong that means i am safe :D:D:D

Lads check the projected playoff tab in the standings section. It shows Team Lanigan as the #4 seed and he is 3rd in the east. That indicates to me that its not the top 2 in each division but the division winners and the next 2 best records. Unless i am totally wrong that means i am safe :D:D:D

Ha ha! I didn't even check to see who the others were. i just seen 4 teams and my name! Congrats on securinga play off so :o

It goes on Points scored (I'm almost certain, but I've already been wrong today...)

Yes, this is true. I just checked the rules for playoff qualification, only the division winners get automatically through. the other two playoff teams are decided by best record, regardless of what division they are in.

I didn't realise this myself, I assumed that it would be the top 2 in each division, but that's not necessarily the case. This is the default setting on ESPN.com, and as far as I can see there is no way to change it. So that means that 5 teams still have a theoretical shot at the last two spots. Lions and Spongey are through, and Vanilla, Inchicore, Donoughmore, Lanigan and Sixes are battling for the last two spots. Gonna be a wild last week. (the tiebreaker is most points scored)

It'll be some round robin this week, alot of teams in the mix for play-off spots - I know I can win my division, get a wild card or be eliminated depending on what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭barbarians

My playoff hopes are very slim at this stage, need to beat team lanigan, hope the Pick Sixes beat Vanilla Thrillas and top the Sixes score by 37 points or more to take that last playoff spot.

Alternatively, if I beat team lanigan and the Warriors lose I'll top the division but the Warriors losing to the Rebels isn't very likely either :(

I'll start saying a few novenas :P

Looks like I'll lose this week and still top the group.

Donoughmore Dynamos also lost, while Pick Sixes only need 3 points from marshawn Lynch to beat Vanilla Thrillas

I'll defend my place in the play offs (if I make it) with a 7-7 record by pointing out I'm likely tio finish second top scorer overall :p

Dodge wrote: »

Donoughmore Dynamos also lost, while Pick Sixes only need 3 points from marshawn Lynch to beat Vanilla Thrillas
    l

C´mon Lynchy, just three little points. (he was a game time scratch six weeks back with a bad back, don't do that to me this time)

(Actually, I've just checked, and of course it doesn't really matter. I'll still be fourth in the division and out of the playoffs, even though I will have a better record than the winner of the other division.)

• Advertisement

yeah, but who ever tops that group will have more total points thna you, so you cna't complaion too loudly

I hope its me obviously (current leader)

C´mon Lynchy, just three little points. (he was a game time scratch six weeks back with a bad back, don't do that to me this time)

(Actually, I've just checked, and of course it doesn't really matter. I'll still be fourth in the division and out of the playoffs, even though I will have a better record than the winner of the other division.)

Can I - appropriately - offer you lots of Skittles to bench Lynch, then!? :pac:

My team performed well, no one completely flat-lined but when a non-three-TD-scoring Shonn Greene is your best fantasy player in a week you know you're not setting the scoreboard alight. Still, a good first stab at PPR, I lead for about a month in my division before last week but the way of the entire league has been that no team besides Tallaght was really able to establish a stable lead.

Dodge wrote: »
    yeah, but who ever tops that group will have more total points thna you, so you cna't complaion too loudly
    )

Not complaining, just commenting. good luck to all who did manage to reach the playoffs.

Syferus wrote: »

Skittles!!?? (try jellybeans, and maybe we have a deal);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Should have offered me the same offer for our game. I am sucker for skittles. I can most definitely taste the rainbow.

Playoffs are now set...

Slinger/Lomira Owls/Lions (1) V Team Lanigan (4)

Tallaght Outlaws' team, the first seeds, have to be favourites in this one, with Brady, Welker, Gronkowski and Arian Foster all on the same team. Adrian522 will have to be hoping that Eli and LeSean McCoy come through for him, and that Percy Harvin and Ryan Matthews have a big day.

Spongey Bears (3) V Inchicore Warriors (2)

Spongey is the projected favourite here, and he does have a good team, with Stafford, 4 TD MJD, and Steve Smith in his lineup, but Dodge too looks strong, with Rodgers at QB, and Roddy White, Michael Turner and Antonio Gates there as well. This one is going to be tight.

Playoffs are now set...

Slinger/Lomira Owls/Lions (1) V Team Lanigan (4)

Tallaght Outlaws' team, the first seeds, have to be favourites in this one, with Brady, Welker, Gronkowski and Arian Foster all on the same team. Adrian522 will have to be hoping that Eli and LeSean McCoy come through for him, and that Percy Harvin and Ryan Matthews have a big day.

Spongey is the projected favourite here, and he does have a good team, with Stafford, 4 TD MJD, and Steve Smith in his lineup, but Dodge too looks strong, with Rodgers at QB, and Roddy White, Michael Turner and Antonio Gates there as well. This one is going to be tight.

Man, the real all-star match-up this week is an immediate rematch between us for a place in the Consolation final (Or 'Game C4' as ESPN robotically calls it).

I bet you all the Skittles you can eat all my players will go off one week too late and claim the ultimate ironically pointless victory.

Man, the real all-star match-up this week is an immediate rematch between us for a place in the Consolation final (Or 'Game C4' as ESPN robotically calls it).

I bet you all the Skittles you can eat all my players will go off one week too late and claim the ultimate ironically pointless victory.

Can I be the only one who really hates this 'consolation' bracket? In other words the 'loser' bracket, it's patronising - "here's a nice little competition for all you who didn't make the real thing". The prize for a win is that you prove that you are the fifth best team. Whoop de doo!!
    (That said, I'll still be going all out to win this weekend, and next...:))

Interestingly enough I'm playing spongey in the Division 1 play offs too. Wouldn't be too confident in either of them

• Advertisement

Can I be the only one who really hates this 'consolation' bracket? In other words the 'loser' bracket, it's patronising - "here's a nice little competition for all you who didn't make the real thing". The prize for a win is that you prove that you are the fifth best team. Whoop de doo!!
    (That said, I'll still be going all out to win this weekend, and next...:))

Some leagues have prizes throughout. No real need for it in our leagues though

Advertisement