Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards PPR League Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,169 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I'm in again. Kinda like the idea of drafting based on last year's results. I was 5th or 6th so it's no real advantage to me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭boccy23

I was dangerous rebels. I'm out this time. Someone else can have a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

I thought about the division 2 thing some more, here’s my proposal....I create a 2nd thread ‘PPR Division 2’ to gauge interest. If we get 12 people, go with it. If not, leave it.

Rules/number of participants/host-site would be identical for 2nd division.

Promotion/relegation....two-up/two down. Playoff champion and runner-up are promoted from division 2, teams with worst two regular season records in division 1 are relegated.

I can do some of the initial administration for division 2, but eventual GM would be someone who’s playing in the division.

Needs approval from people here because of the relegation aspect, but I think it would make this league more fun. If you’re out of the running for winning the league, you still have something to play for in avoiding relegation.

What do you guys think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

padraig_f wrote: »
    I thought about the division 2 thing some more, here’s my proposal....I create a 2nd thread ‘PPR Division 2’ to gauge interest. If we get 12 people, go with it. If not, leave it.

Rules/number of participants/host-site would be identical for 2nd division.

Promotion/relegation....two-up/two down. Playoff champion and runner-up are promoted from division 2, teams with worst two regular season records in division 1 are relegated.

I can do some of the initial administration for division 2, but eventual GM would be someone who’s playing in the division.

Needs approval from people here because of the relegation aspect, but I think it would make this league more fun. If you’re out of the running for winning the league, you still have something to play for in avoiding relegation.

What do you guys think?

I have a number of doubts about this idea.
    Firstly, we already have a promotion/relegation set up in the main boards leagues. It works well there, but I don't really see the need to repeat the structure in the PPR league.

Secondly, it does make the whole organisation of the league more complex and time consuming. There is the coordination between divisions, probably we would have to write some kind of common rule basis as exists in the main leagues. My impression of the PPR league is that it is something people do for enjoyment, as a bit of light relief. It doesn't need the extra competitive edge.

Third, it would be difficult to get enough people. We just about had 12 people last year, and we have already had one drop out this year.

I honestly don't see the need to be complicating the structure of a league that has worked well as a self-contained unit for the last few years. If people wanted to set up another parallel PPR league they are free to do so. But that's only my opinion, if guys in this league are into it, and there's someone willing to organize it, then I wouldn't stand in its way.

In Exile wrote: »
    If you try go ahead with a second division, I'm happy to start at the bottom and work my way up!

Boccy has dropped out this year, so there's a free spot in the league this year, if you want it. PM me an email address so I can send you an invitation.

• Advertisement

fisgon wrote: »
    I have a number of doubts about this idea.
    Firstly, we already have a promotion/relegation set up in the main boards leagues. It works well there, but I don't really see the need to repeat the structure in the PPR league.

Secondly, it does make the whole organisation of the league more complex and time consuming. There is the coordination between divisions, probably we would have to write some kind of common rule basis as exists in the main leagues. My impression of the PPR league is that it is something people do for enjoyment, as a bit of light relief. It doesn't need the extra competitive edge.

Third, it would be difficult to get enough people. We just about had 12 people last year, and we have already had one drop out this year.

I honestly don't see the need to be complicating the structure of a league that has worked well as a self-contained unit for the last few years. If people wanted to set up another parallel PPR league they are free to do so. But that's only my opinion, if guys in this league are into it, and there's someone willing to organize it, then I wouldn't stand in its way.

Yeah I understand it makes the administration a bit more complex. As no-one else has expressed any interest, I'll leave it then, and think about setting up an alternate league that supports promotion/relegation. Maybe an alternate one would work better on nfl.com anyway, as people already have accounts on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭LightningBlue

Yeah I understand it makes the administration a bit more complex. As no-one else has expressed any interest, I'll leave it then, and think about setting up an alternate league that supports promotion/relegation. Maybe an alternate one would work better on nfl.com anyway, as people already have accounts on there.

I'd be interested in joining if you're starting another PPR league/adding a second division at some stage.
    Only seen this thread now.

I'd be interested in joining if you're starting another PPR league/adding a second division at some stage.
    Only seen this thread now.

Cool. Just looking at the opions on nfl.com, I see there's one for an auction league, so might propose that instead as I haven't tried the format before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭LightningBlue

Cool. Just looking at the opions on nfl.com, I see there's one for an auction league, so might propose that instead as I haven't tried the format before.

I'd be up for an auction league as well. Haven't played one either but seems to be more be a fairer method than a snake draft and offers a lot of other draft strategies.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭In Exile

I'd be up for an auction league as well. Haven't played one either but seems to be more be a fairer method than a snake draft and offers a lot of other draft strategies.

I'd be up for that too.

Have done a couple of mock auction drafts on the NFL site to see what they are like and if you like strategy they are brilliant

• Advertisement

We had an auction league on here before. its hard to get people online at the same time and the automated bids skew it a bit too much IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭bit of red72

I'm back in as well - 4thandforever was the name last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭darklighter

I'm back in as well

Has there been a draft date set for this yet?

In Exile wrote: »
    Has there been a draft date set for this yet?

I'll set up a poll next week to decide on a date that suits the majority. I would propose that we have it around August 24th, which is a week before the last weekend when a lot of drafts happen. This would lessen the likelihood of a clash. But we will see what suits people.

Poll now open to decide draft day and time. I have restricted it to three days, Sunday August 24th, Monday the 25th and Tuesday the 26th. Hopefully this works for people....

http://doodle.com/wws2eghkgs7e43re

Ok, poll has been up for over a week, 10 people answered it. Of that 10, 8 went for Monday the 25th at 10pm as an acceptable time.

So PPR League draft now set for 10pm on Monday August 25th, eleven days from now. I'll send a reminder email next week. Hope we can all make it.

I voted for that but now looks like I'll be drafting from a bus. Let's hope the new ESPN app is as good as advertised

Just a reminder that the PPR League draft is in three days, that's Monday at 10pm.

Just a reminder that the PPR League draft is in three days, that's Monday at 10pm.

13 hours to go. Working from home already planned!

• Advertisement

I'll be there.

Anyone else having trouble logging on? :confused:

Anyone else having trouble logging on? :confused:

are you sure you are in this year's league, and not last year's....?

http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/leagueoffice?leagueId=778149&seasonId=2014

If it's not that, not sure what it could be. I am in fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

The draft room isn't working for me, fairly sure it's my crap internet or something. The Lite Draft Application works grand though.

are you sure you are in this year's league, and not last year's....?

http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/leagueoffice?leagueId=778149&seasonId=2014

If it's not that, not sure what it could be. I am in fine.

I cant even log in!

I cant even log in!

Do you mean you can't log in to ESPN.com?

Do you mean you can't log in to ESPN.com?

Yeah, I cant do anything on the laptop or app!

And speedtest shows me at 45mb as well!

Yeah, I cant do anything on the laptop or app!

And speedtest shows me at 45mb as well!

Sorry to hear that, not sure what to tell you. You have pick 2, you just autodrafted McCoy

Sorry to hear that, not sure what to tell you. You have pick 2, you just autodrafted McCoy

Not the worst pick I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

try a different browser?

Advertisement