Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC Alarm - Keypad replacement

Options
  • 19-10-2011 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi all,

I have a HKC secure watch alarm system. The other day came home and right after entering code there was a loud pop and big spark from Alarm keypad. The LCD display went blank and alarm bell went off. I disconnected the alarm from the mains and disconnected the backup battery from the alarm panel to stop the alarm from ringing. I opened up the Alarm keypad expecting to find a fuse of some sort but no sign. There is part on the circuit board inside which looks similar to a DIMM you'd find in a laptop or on a PC motherboard and it looks like this blew out. I've already found a couple of suppliers in Dublin who sell the keypads, part number SW RKP. My question is is it possible to fit a new keypad to existing alarm system? Is it a big job to program the keypad for use with existing setup? The alarm is 3 and a half years old so is out of warranty. Also am I in danger of voiding house insurance by carrying out work on my alarm system myself? Any advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The only programming needed is to install the keypad on the system. You will need engineer access for this. Otherwise its a straight swap out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 eoinmn

thanks KoolKid. When you refer to engineer access, I've read on some other postings here on boards that the engineer code is written on the circuit board inside the unit (the box with the pcb and battery). Does this code give me engineer access?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

That's the default codes.You can try them, but the installer should have changed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭altor

eoinmn wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have a HKC secure watch alarm system. The other day came home and right after entering code there was a loud pop and big spark from Alarm keypad. The LCD display went blank and alarm bell went off. I disconnected the alarm from the mains and disconnected the backup battery from the alarm panel to stop the alarm from ringing. I opened up the Alarm keypad expecting to find a fuse of some sort but no sign. There is part on the circuit board inside which looks similar to a DIMM you'd find in a laptop or on a PC motherboard and it looks like this blew out. I've already found a couple of suppliers in Dublin who sell the keypads, part number SW RKP. My question is is it possible to fit a new keypad to existing alarm system? Is it a big job to program the keypad for use with existing setup? The alarm is 3 and a half years old so is out of warranty. Also am I in danger of voiding house insurance by carrying out work on my alarm system myself? Any advice is much appreciated.

If the keypad has being IDed on to the system then you will need the engineer code to delete it as you will get a comms fault. If it has not being the it will be a straight swap of the keypad circuit board with no programming needed.

thanks again guys. If I need the engineer codes and the defaults don't work as they were changed by the original installer, is there a way to reset the system?

• Advertisement

If It's not engineer locked you can reset it yourself by powering it down, removing the factory link and power it up again. if it is locked you will need a call out to get done.

thanks again guys. If I need the engineer codes and the defaults don't work as they were changed by the original installer, is there a way to reset the system?

An engineer call out would be your only option if it is locked. Try changing the keypad with the system down powered then power it up first as you may not even need the code.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll let you know how I get on...:)

Ok, So I got a new keypad, wired this up. Reconnected the alarm backup battery and turned on the trip switch for the Alarm. The Display on the keypad didn't come on. It just stayed totally blank. And alarm start going off. Waited a minute or two in case the keypad display came on but no joy. Any idea's what the problem may be? At this stage I'm at a loss...

Theres a chance you may have blown the keypad fuse when disconnecting & reconnecting. Do you have a multimeter?
    If so check the voltage (DC) on 1 & 2 on the keypad connections.

• Advertisement

Ok, So I got a new keypad, wired this up. Reconnected the alarm backup battery and turned on the trip switch for the Alarm. The Display on the keypad didn't come on. It just stayed totally blank. And alarm start going off. Waited a minute or two in case the keypad display came on but no joy. Any idea's what the problem may be? At this stage I'm at a loss...

The fuse for the keypad may have blown when the keypad did too. It is the bottom of the 4 fuses F1 located on the PCB in the control panel. It is a 800ma slow blow fuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 tombob

Replaced an old panel with new HKC SW-8/12. Wired it up with the 4 wires from new panel to new RKP. No life in RKP. no light on display or power indicator. There is power showing in connections 1&2, Help please

Have you checked the RKP fuse on the panel?
    You may have inadvertantly shorted the power connections.

Yes fuse is ok. There is power showing in connections in RKP. No life in keypad, Any check I could do?, Dont want to have to go back to supplier,
    Thanks a lot for help.Sorry for delay, I was away from pc

tombob wrote: »
    Yes fuse is ok. There is power showing in connections in RKP. No life in keypad, Any check I could do?, Dont want to have to go back to supplier,
    Thanks a lot for help.Sorry for delay, I was away from pc

It may be an issue with the cable from the control panel to the keypad or the keypad itself, to rule this out can you connect the keypad direct into the control panel on a small length of cable.

Yes, fuse is ok.power is getting to keypad according to meter. Any other way to check it. Sorry for delay, didnt expect reply as no posting since last year.
    Thanks for reply.

OK, will do that in the morning.

OK, will do that in the morning.

Let us know how you get on.

Had another look at connections, Connected 1,2,3,4, on panel to 4,3,2,1, on RKP, wrong way round. silly me, One more thing please, on the Tamper Zone connections I dont use, do I leave in the U clips or take them out, On the Alarm Zone connections I dont use, I think Im right in saying I put in a resistor across the connections or am I.

Had another look at connections, Connected 1,2,3,4, on panel to 4,3,2,1, on RKP, wrong way round. silly me, One more thing please, on the Tamper connections I dont use do I leave in the U clips or take them out, On the Alarm connections I dont use, I think Im right in saying I put in a resistor across the connections or am I.

If you are not tampering the sensors leave in the link, same with any zones your not using.

• Advertisement

Very Good, thanks for your help

Very Good, thanks for your help

Your welcome, any other problems let us know.

Thanks guys,Got the job done, one zone at a time, next is connection to phone, for another day

• Registered Users Posts: 5 terry54

Hi i was called to repair an alarm keypad
    There was no display i checked voltage and it was ok but the owner told me he tried to program it with 220v supply and he blew the diode or capacitor on keypad there is a number on it 7n330k do you know where i can source one.

terry54 wrote: »
    There was no display i checked voltage and it was ok but the owner told me he tried to program it with 220v supply and he blew the diode or capacitor on keypad there is a number on it 7n330k do you know where i can source one.

Any of the suppliers on this list should be able to help.

Are you a licensed installer?
    Any suppliers can source one of these for you.

altor wrote: »

Any of the suppliers on this list should be able to help.

tks altor just wondering do u call it a diode or capacitor it is beside the keypad connection terminals

Did he really connect mains to the keypad? ?

KoolKid wrote: »
    Did he really connect mains to the keypad? ?
    Yea he tried to program the keypad before he installed it someone told him he could just want to have a go at resolderin the diode or capacitor whatever its called its a brand new keypad

• Advertisement

tks altor just wondering do u call it a diode or capacitor it is beside the keypad connection terminals

Hi terry54,

I am not sure what you are referring too. If the keypad is off the Securewatch system then to the right of the spring is two diodes, a resistor and a regulator. Your best be would be to return the Keypad to HKC for repair. There may be some other damage done to the Keypad if he connected 220v to it.

Advertisement