Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NaNoWriMo 2011!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Blush_01 wrote: »
    Ready... Steady... GO! :D

I'm freakin' out! I'm Frrrrreakin' out!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

nice to see there are other boards.ies doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CD.

So far I've written a grand total of 0 words.

Obviously, I am super prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭darkestlord

I'm gonna put the son to bed and start mine tonight. Dunno why I'm nervous but I am. I've got a brief outline of the story so hopefully it goes well. Good luck everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I am approaching this in the same way I approached the weekend - if it's not by the seat of your pants, it's not worth it. I have one sentence. It's rubbish. But the ice is broken!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

As usual, i've been meaning to take part in this for the last year or two but have never actually managed to get my finger out. What makes me feel even more guilty is that I signed up on the website last year sometime with the express intention of using the time before november to get to grips with uploading and any other technical details I assume i'd need to know but still haven't even looked at the site. Still, i've been wanting to give a system called Mythic Game Master Emulator a try since i've heard some writers use it to help generate plots etc, so if I do manage to get my finger out I'm definately going to be trying it out. Here's a link to the site that sell the PDF version in case you're interested,

http://www.mythic.wordpr.com/page14/page9/page9.html

...and there's also a flash version online that can be used free of charge which is pretty good for getting the juices going, which is here,

http://artifex0.50webs.com/GMEmulator.swf

Anyway, good luck lads(and lasses), and have fun.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'm off to a pretty good start! 1785 words. :)

Hopefully I'll beat that tomorrow. I'm hoping to get ahead of myself in case I need to take a few days off later on in the month.

Also I have to do my bit for Munster.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

I've managed only 650 words tonight in between college work, making dinner and actual work, too much procrastinating. Really need to go up a few gears so I can reach 1,600 words a day!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tigerblob

I have yet to break the ice, feel like such a failure, but I've been mad busy today. Next week is reading week so I intend to get most of it done then!!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Arlecchina

So, writing just under 2,000 off-the-cuff words is a heck of a lot harder than one would think — especially with the shape of an entire novel in mind! I've a feeling I'll be doing a lot of catching up on weekends.

• Advertisement

Plotted out the whole storyline... seems a bit weaker than when I first thought it up. Possibly taking a long short story and trying to force it to be a novel, but sure more ideas will flow once I get stuck in.

Nothing on the computer yet, but a few paragraphs in the aul moleskine.

How is everyone doing? I'm going pretty well but suspect that by the time I reach 50,000 words I'll be lucky if I'm past the halfway point of this novel.

Is anyone going to any of the meet ups around Ireland? There is one on in Dublin on Saturday afternoon.

iguana wrote: »
    How is everyone doing? I'm going pretty well but suspect that by the time I reach 50,000 words I'll be lucky if I'm past the halfway point of this novel.

Is anyone going to any of the meet ups around Ireland? There is one on in Dublin on Saturday afternoon.

I'm just over 2000 words and the word counter is predicting a January finish... it knows so little. :D

I am tempted to go to the meet-up tomorrow, yup. Not sure how I'll feel writing with people, it may be just a little bit weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

Well, I for one have had the most god-Awful day. Sat in front of a blank laptop screen for most of the day. Had to just give up in the end. The worst of it is, I had half a page written in no time and decided it wasn't good enough and so ended up deleting it. Don't know what that was about. That's not in the spirit of NaNoWriMo at all. It's not like I haven't written before. I've written quite a few short stories. I'm quite proud of them all. Still, tomorrow's another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CD.

I was just under 7,000 words yesterday. I left it at a bit of a cliffhanger cos I know where to go from there.

I've never done that before but figured it might be handy for today cos I'm a little bit off from last night & I was really tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

I'm at 6970 at the minute. Haven't started today's yet, but I'm hoping to get to 9000 before dinner :)

Edit: 9286, and time for dinner!

Went to the meet-up today. Twas rather weird, but, interesting. First time I tried to explain my story to anyone.

I was there too, but I guess we didn't talk.:(

I'm at 9295 words, a bit disappointed with today but by the time I got home and walked the dogs again I felt too tired to even force myself to a thousand.

What's everyone's usernames so I can add you as writing buddies? :)

I have the same name and av as here.

• Advertisement

Antilles wrote: »
    What's everyone's usernames so I can add you as writing buddies? :)

frankwhelan is me.
    I was there too, but I guess we didn't talk.:(

I'm at 9295 words, a bit disappointed with today but by the time I got home and walked the dogs again I felt too tired to even force myself to a thousand.

Ah, you mustn't have been in the late 20's grouping :p

Did you notice the weird way it ended up divided by age? Pretty funny in a social dynamic kinda way :)

Fewcifur wrote: »
    Did you notice the weird way it ended up divided by age? Pretty funny in a social dynamic kinda way :)

I was with 30+ group.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Arlecchina

Nice to meet you, Fewcifer! I was the 'Ah, you wouldn't know my username, I'm a just a lurker' girl.

It was all a bit strange, but interesting and useful along with it. Next time I'll a) be better prepared to write like a lunatic on cue, and b) have a snappy blurb ready for those paralysing 'So, what's your novel about?' moments.

Boardsies need a Wildean carnation in their lapel or something. ;)

Arlecchina wrote: »
    Nice to meet you, Fewcifer! I was the 'Ah, you wouldn't know my username, I'm a just a lurker' girl.

It was all a bit strange, but interesting and useful along with it. Next time I'll a) be better prepared to write like a lunatic on cue, and b) have a snappy blurb ready for those paralysing 'So, what's your novel about?' moments.

Boardsies need a Wildean carnation in their lapel or something. ;)

I'm glad you didn't actually just say your username... it would have been a "so... do you spell that with a tripple X or... ?" It was a good laugh alright. Carnations at the ready for next time :)

Hrm, what went on at this meet-up? Was it just sitting around chatting or was there writing, or...?

I might go to the next one, though I'd be a bit nervous about meeting boardsies who's work I've slated ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I was at it too, also in Fewcifur's group.

There was general chat about what everyone was doing, then towards the end everyone did a couple of writing sprints for about 20 minutes each. Though I got there late so not sure how it started off.

It was interesting to see how people were going in different directions. Everyone that I spoke to seemed to be working on very different books. It was fun though.

Those writing sprints were gas. Some people really got into it. Like, really really. :p

I'm not free until weekend after next. Is that too late to start going to these meetups?

Antilles wrote: »
    I'm not free until weekend after next. Is that too late to start going to these meetups?

Ah just turn up whenever. They're very informal, really just an excuse to talk a bit about your book and to share the experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭elbee

I was with 30+ group.;)

Hey! I was in the same group and I'm 27 :p Let's just say I aspire to being 30+

Advertisement