Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starcraft learning Curve High?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Orizio wrote: »
    Bramble add me on b.net (Feanor.980) and we'll practice a little over the weekend if you are on.

Will do, won't be able to get many games in until next Wednesday evening. (9pm on, get to hotel about 7-8pm Irish time) Away for work so will be doing a 3-4 session then and again Thursday during the day.

Thanks for the critique so far Magicianz, I feel stupid as you are pointing out things I thought I had sorted.
    Thanks very much for taking the time to look over those replays.

I am only trying the FE recently so still in the comfort zone of walling off as a fallback.

About the i SCV in gas, the BO than interested me was gasless, so I am trying it with just a bit of gas until I have 2 bases up. Just enough to get stim, shield and allow marauder production. Then increase gas income when going into tanks/medevac/ghost.

I like to have a little more supply than needed in case of counter attack. I remember thinking at the time that 8 depots was overkill, maybe 4 would have been better.

I like a few turrets against protoss to stop observers at my front, I agree that you don't need to many.

The bad ghost use was noted at the time, I sent them out to hit the templars and messed up.
    Took the easy shot over the best shot.

Should I have 5 production buildings per base? Or more?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

All these things come with time honestly! Just try to concentrate on improving 1/2 parts of your play at a time instead of trying to do everything at once :) If you lose, who cares, it is all to improve your play over all, long term.

I changed from toss to zerg when I was platinum and I lost at least a dozen if not more games before I had even 1 win! And then I went on to lose more games :P Until I had concentrated on timings and larvae injecting properly, I was way behind all the time and honestly, I got lucky :P

Ill try and look over more over the weekend, I hate sounding like anything is a personal attack on your play, im sorry if I ever come across as that, Im just saying what Im seeing :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Regarding FE, there is no reason to get gas before you get your CC (it just weakens your build), just open standard, no gas at 13, CC at 19 (I think?) and build it in your base, then get two more rax if you are going bio and straight after both gases in your main or if you want to tech take both gases in your main after you've build you've started your CC. Get your second OC as fast as possible, get a bunker at your natch, constantly make SCVs...and don't get 27/27. ;)

Although I wouldn't go FE until you get to like Diamond as its hard, go 1/1/1 in all match-ups and concentrate on your macro.

magicianz wrote: »
    Ill try and look over more over the weekend, I hate sounding like anything is a personal attack on your play, im sorry if I ever come across as that, Im just saying what Im seeing :P
    I'm glad to get any feedback.....as for personal attacks,don't be worried......
    ....as I am in bronze league I sort of know I am in the bottom 20% of European players........also you are critiqueing my SC2 ability, I'm fabulous at everything else!!! :D

Have to start counting my SCV's at certain times.

So FE not recommended by Orizio? I have to admit I feel exposed when I do but I spotted that I was very slow at expo's before Season 4 so though to try a FE build to counter that. I do see the benefit of 1/1/1 but I used this in Season 1+2 and never seemed to get troops quickly enough, to me opening 3 rax before factory/starport 'feels' safer.

1/1/1 with bunker is as safe as it gets - I'll happily show you the build.

• Advertisement

I was planning to get back to you with the rest of them before the weekend was done but Ive spent the last day helping people in my course with assignments and studying for mechanics so i dont think ill be able to give a good look at anything til Wednesday! =/

I was planning to get back to you with the rest of them before the weekend was done but Ive spent the last day helping people in my course with assignments and studying for mechanics so i dont think ill be able to give a good look at anything til Wednesday! =/

Don't worry about it. What you have told me so far gives me things to work on.
    I can upload a few replays from my session on Wednesday to see am I sorting out the bumps in my play.

Doesnt want to let me edit my other post so ill continue here:

Game 3:

Not even going to talk about it, if you see someone doing that again ill be surpised :P

Game 4:

Good response to the first pylon, should not have sent out all the SCVs to look for more, a lot of mining time was already lost with trying to destroy that pylon! Sending just 1 SCV out would have been adequate and if you were fearful of having Pylons dropped again somewhere just outside your base, you can build supply depots around the edges of your base to spot.

When your first attack got cleaned up at the end, you should have tried to micro the marine(s) out away from the zealot, just like you did against the probes. Small things like that are always good training if you do that and try to continue to macro :) If you didn't want to micre, retreating would have been better as you have 6 marines then instead of 5, as you werent going to kill the zealot anyway.

Game 5:

SCV at tower should have been switched for a marine, its better to lose a marine than lose an SCV!
    Supply watching again, SCVs.
    Bad timing lifting barracks and making bunker, should never do that when you know an attack is imminent.
    Lots of surplus gas - you shouldn't take geysers til you need them! If you have FE'd then you wont be fast teching, so you dont need as much gas. I dont know what it is for Terran, but for me playing zerg, I would sometime only take a gas around 26, then take the other 3 at 44 food! I only need the gas for speedlings and for a lair at the start, each gas geyser for me costs me a drone and all the mining time from 3 drones. You had about 278 gas at one point when i noticed. If you didn't make 2 of your geysers and survived off 1, then you would have had over 500 more minerals than you had, now thats a lot of resources in the early game!

(278 / 4) x 5 = mining time resources +
    75 x 2 = refinerys +
    50(guess) = build time

That is just under 550 minerals, or 11 marines, or 7 marines and a bunker, that definately would have helped you hold against his pressure, and if you held, you would have a significant economic advantage. Then you could tech, then you could start harassing, then you could crush him. >:)

Doesnt want to let me edit my other post so ill continue here:

Game 4:

Good response to the first pylon.........

Game 5:
    I really HATE cannon rushes....sorry, lost to so many by now that I did sorta overreact to that one!

Game 5: Just looked over it see exactly what you mean, FE = leave gas alone. A few more troops and an earlier bunker when I expoed would have helped enormously in this situation.

As an aside is this even legal on B.Net?
    It is an 'in game tuition add-on'
    http://diamondgamer.com/?hop=sc2sig

Bramble, I'll be on tomorrow from 8-10 p.m. if that is any help to you - regarding practicing. I'll probably be on Friday night some time as well.

• Advertisement

Bramble, I'll be on tomorrow from 8-10 p.m. if that is any help to you - regarding practicing. I'll probably be on Friday night some time as well.

Probably will be 8:30 to 10 in fact. ;)

Probably will be 8:30 to 10 in fact. ;)

No problem. I arrive at 6pm Irish time, at hotel by 7.30, straight out for food and then all settled in at laptop by 8.30pm.

Custom game V AI with you as an observer best option to critique me?

He will tell you what to make while you are playing an AI or similar level friend of his and keep on hounding you to do things :P It helped me a good bit with my play in general, does start getting you to think about what you're doing more! :)

Tenger wrote: »
    No problem. I arrive at 6pm Irish time, at hotel by 7.30, straight out for food and then all settled in at laptop by 8.30pm.

Custom game V AI with you as an observer best option to critique me?

Sounds grand.

He will tell you what to make while you are playing an AI or similar level friend of his and keep on hounding you to do things :P It helped me a good bit with my play in general, does start getting you to think about what you're doing more! :)

Aye. this extremely annoying and stressful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭F69Baal

Lately I have tried to play on ladder 1v1 again but I just cant stay focused for more than 2 games in a row. but I wouldnt mind helping somebody!

Add me: WGTBaal.965

I am a Random platinum player

Lets just ignore this post?

Tenger wrote: »
    Lets just ignore this post?

The wonders of email......d'awhhhhh :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 paulthom

u need super fast reflexes and be very smart to become a good sc player

Advertisement