Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining the British Army

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭SaoriseBiker

discus wrote: »
    Overall the suicide rate among ex-military personnel was similar to that of the general population.
    Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/news/564164-s...#ixzz258dXOqkx

Well done.
    :rolleyes: ' Sigh ' ........... It's a pity you didn't add - " Overall the suicide rate among ex-military personnel was similar to that of the general population.
    But young veterans aged under 24 stood out as being exceptionally at risk. Although the number committing suicide was still small, they were two to three times more likely to kill themselves than civilian men of the same age, or young military men still on active service. "

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/news/564164-soldiers-leaving-army-three-times-more-likely-to-commit-suicide#ixzz25DR6KJoS

I didn't write the article, the journo did.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

My pal John didn't wait until he left to blow his brains out. He was a WO2 when he locked himself in the stockroom of the club and taped his Browning into his hand to make sure he didn't drop it by accident.

I had to go to the scene and positively identify him - his wife and three daughters [the oldest our god-daughter] were over in Ireland on holiday with the grandparents at the time.

Nobody saw it coming, and it turned out that it was indebtedness from telephone betting - illegal in Germany at that time. It's a one way ticket to oblivion that some poor souls feel is the only way. Those left behind are the ones who suffer.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Jellicoe

Completely agree! my dad did 31 years in the DF and hasnt looked back since, says hes delighted he left! I suppose theres a time all soldiers get to when there just sick off all the BullSH*T

It's a bit like school, you're glad you did it, but have no intrest in going back

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Gingernuts31

Can anyone tell me where the main entrance to palace barracks is? There area code says its on church rd holywood but thats not within walking distance of holywood town. I see an extrance on jacksons rd just off the A2 but there is no guard room there so thats hardly an entrance just an exit maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Can anyone tell me where the main entrance to palace barracks is? There area code says its on church rd holywood but thats not within walking distance of holywood town. I see an extrance on jacksons rd just off the A2 but there is no guard room there so thats hardly an entrance just an exit maybe?

It doesn't matter.

It doesn't matter.

Right so if I walk up to a gate with no guard room, the gate is solid metal so they can't see me if there is someone standing there you don't think it makes sence to find 1 with barriers and gaurd room? It's ok anyway I found the main entrance on old holywood rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

please delete mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭B2deF

Just a quick question. Can people from the republic join the British army as a military police officer?

• Advertisement

k

B2deF wrote: »
    Just a quick question. Can people from the republic join the British army as a military police officer?

Do you mean being an officer in the RMP or just joining as a private?

You can join as an irish citizen but you'll need to score over 60 on your barb test which is a pretty high score and i dont think you can have any convictions either.

please delete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Everyone I know who has joined in NI has done the initial contact by phone or post, and the recruiting people then collect them from their accom. The Barracks in NI do not as a rule accept people in off the streets to fill out initial forms. Nobody will get in unless they are expected, those who are expected will be told where to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Lads, I've reported posts and nothing is being done about it. Yous are leaving little to the imagination, perhaps a few edits to the last 4 posts wouldn't go amiss?

discus wrote: »
    Lads, I've reported posts and nothing is being done about it. Yous are leaving little to the imagination, perhaps a few edits to the last 4 posts wouldn't go amiss?

I didnt give any specific details about locations but deleted posts anyway just to err on the side of caution.

If a mod can delete the sections of the other posts that would be great.

Gingernuts if you want to pm me any questions feel free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

Nationality requirements stipulate British Citizen or Dual British citizen,for RAF pilot officer.

Nationality requirements stipulate British Citizen or Dual British citizen,for RAF pilot officer.

I'm assuming that you mean, to become a pilot in the RAF. Pilot Officer is the lowest rank in the officer branch of the RAF.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

tac foley wrote: »
    I'm assuming that you mean, to become a pilot in the RAF. Pilot Officer is the lowest rank in the officer branch of the RAF.

tac

Yeah thanks for clearing that up,wasn't the last Irish RAF pilot on morning TV a while back? think he flew harriers.

There have been some VERY famous Irish pilots, Paddy Finucane was one of them.....

tac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Jellicoe

Learn this song off by heart, it'll be handy for your nights out in Aldershot, and when your board cleaning the dust out of your kit in Camp Bastion.

I haven't got the results in my leaving cert to join the british army as an officer but was wondering if a business degree would make me be able to join?

TBH, a good degree in a science subject, maths, physics, chemistry, ENGINEERING, or related subject would be viewed with a lot more interest.

The BA is not altogether impressed with so-called 'soft' degrees like cake-making and media studies, but it depends on what you want to do in the BA.

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    TBH, a good degree in a science subject, maths, physics, chemistry, ENGINEERING, or related subject would be viewed with a lot more interest.

The BA is not altogether impressed with so-called 'soft' degrees like cake-making and media studies, but it depends on what you want to do in the BA.

tac

What about Business degree?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

It probably depends on whether or not they consider it a "soft" degree as tac put it. Some folks in the civilian world view business degrees as useful training in management, organisational behaviour, etc whereas others see them as homes for the academically bewildered. The truth is usually somewhere in between.

I suspect that you would be taken more seriously with a I or a II.1 from a well regarded business degree course than you would if you arrived with a II.1 or II.2 from a university perceived as having lower standards.

Is there any particular reason you're interested in doing a business degree? If you're just aiming for a piece of paper, make sure you do something you're interested in or else you'll have a miserable time of it in college.

IRLConor wrote: »

It probably depends on whether or not they consider it a "soft" degree as tac put it. Some folks in the civilian world view business degrees as useful training in management, organisational behaviour, etc whereas others see them as homes for the academically bewildered. The truth is usually somewhere in between.

I suspect that you would be taken more seriously with a I or a II.1 from a well regarded business degree course than you would if you arrived with a II.1 or II.2 from a university perceived as having lower standards.

Is there any particular reason you're interested in doing a business degree? If you're just aiming for a piece of paper, make sure you do something you're interested in or else you'll have a miserable time of it in college.

I'm halfway through college and yes I hate it

im in the exact same boat, although I dont hate it, I would just rather be in the Army now at this stage. But the benefits of a degree are really beneficial, lets say you were to leave college, apply for the army and enter training, only to find out its not for you, as a lot of people tend to find out.

You have left a degree halfway through, went for the army and then left that. You have no qualifications apart from your leaving cert, you will have wasted around 2 years, and a potential Employer will look at your history and see a Man who starts things but doesn't finish them.

Now lets on the other hand see what happens if you finish your degree, you have an honors Degree (im presuming) in Business. you can if you like, apply to be an Officer in Sandhurst. you join up and find out its not for you, you have a fall-back option, a degree which can get you in the door of a job, not necessarily a business job but it will give you a foundation.

Your far better off finishing college

Thats what gets me through the day anyways

Fully agree with this. I did four years in college and got my degree before joining the army. Ive no regrets about doing it. I learned how to work hard and gained a lot of maturity and experience that has benefitted me so far in the army.

It will also look good for when you do apply if you have gotten your degree as it will show the recruiters you can work hard to achieve something. As IrishFeeney said its also something you can fall back should things not work out in the army.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭SaoriseBiker

" Half of Army recruits have the literacy or numeracy skills of children leaving primary school, a report by the Basic Skills Agency says. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6418683.stm

Advertisement