Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend a new small car

Options
  • 17-10-2011 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

OH is looking at getting a car, her first. Will be doing mostly city driving but also a 200 km round trip by motorway once a week. Leaning towards a diesel but would also consider an economical petrol. The cars being looked at so far are:
    Astra, Focus, Corolla, Golf and Leon. Year would be 2005 - 2007 with a budget around the 5k mark.
    Would there be any issues with petrol or diesel versions of these cars? Any other suggestions on similar cars? Thanks guys.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

You be doing well to pick up a decent low enough mileage diesel for 5K.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You will be doing well to find a tidy one of these cars in diesel for €5k. Everyone wants one which pushes the price up so usually the good ones sell quickly leaving only the rough and the overpriced.

You will get alot more value from your money if you go petrol, diesel cars command a premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Davd

bazz26 wrote: »
    You will be doing well to find a tidy one of these cars in diesel for €5k. Everyone wants one which pushes the price up so usually the good ones sell quickly leaving only the rough and the overpriced.

You will get alot more value from your money if you go petrol, diesel cars command a premium.

My mistake, budget is €6k. But in no rush at the moment, just started looking. Main reason for post was to see if there are any watchouts on the cars listed. Have come across a post before where it mentioned that the diesel Astras gave a bit of trouble. But found a 2007 Astra for under €6k with 60,000 miles but like you said, it was already sold when we called. Have also come across the following around the €6k mark -
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2488848
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2538595
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2496190

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Dj

I know its a little over budget but have u considered a VW Polo?
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2573132

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Dj wrote: »
    I know its a little over budget but have u considered a VW Polo?
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2573132

VW Polo diesels are so overpriced for what they are...

• Advertisement

OH has decided she wants an Astra. Just likes the look of them and doesn't want the hassle of looking at other cars. I would have thought a Focus would be a better choice but... So it will probably be a 1.3 or 1.7 diesel Astra unless there is good reason not to. Hoe does the diesel engine fair in these models? Thanks.

The 1.3 CDTi is a Fiat engine and one of the best in it's class. In the Astra it has 90bhp and 6 speed from 2006 onwards I think which is better for motorway driving as it can get noisy from 100kph onwards.

Thanks Baz, will start looking for 1.3 Astra's. I also noticed that the 1.7 comes in at 80 BHP with similar fuel consumption.

Davd wrote: »
    Thanks Baz, will start looking for 1.3 Astra's. I also noticed that the 1.7 comes in at 80 BHP with similar fuel consumption.

1.7 came in 80bhp and 100bhp afaik. This is a GM unit and not as refined or good as the Fiat engine. 1.3 and 1.9 Astra diesels are Fiat sourced engines and are very reliable once looked after properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭barura

Skoda Fabia SDI from the early 00's. Generally go for 900-1200eur with NCT etc.
    Here's one but it's a little old: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2575879

They get snapped up pretty quick!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

barura wrote: »
    Skoda Fabia SDI from the early 00's. Generally go for 900-1200eur with NCT etc.
    Here's one but it's a little old: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2575879

They get snapped up pretty quick!

Are you joking?
    1.9 litre engine, €500 motor tax per year, for the performance of a drunk slug!

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭raher1

Car buyers guide and the dealer have a good selection,all on the web. Nissans almera range are bullet proof after 2002 models,hatchback is very solid

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

kopite4 wrote: »
    Car buyers guide and the dealer have a good selection,all on the web. Nissans almera range are bullet proof after 2002 models,hatchback is very solid

You are joking right?

Nissan are quietly doing a good trade in this country. If its not your idea of a good car range I can't help it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

Ford KA?

That model Almera is far from bomb proof, timing chain tensioners cause problems and the Almera was designed nearly 12 years ago. There are alot better cars out there for €5k.

There is the new Nissan,Toyota agyo has dropped in price.i have a friend who swears by her Honda jazz,cheap to run and big inside.

Fiat punto with the 1.3 multijet engine?

Fiat head gasket go after 45k.You could risk al Hayes in portumna an tuam one other venues he is a main dealer Vw with loads of second hands.

• Advertisement

No it won't, if it's serviced properly.

Poor second hand buy,buy a fiat panda new way cheaper,same car just lacks nice stuff.

No,**** car ka

Poor second hand buy,buy a fiat panda new way cheaper,same car just lacks nice stuff.
    Pull the other one, it's a fine car, fits the bill, cheap, reliable as any other diesel with that engine...

Your sentence barely makes sense!

The polo standard is a fine car.i learned to drive with one,boring but never let me Down.
    Sorry for the bad grammar.
    Toyota dealers are given away a car this weekend some promotion competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

bazz26 wrote: »
    1.7 came in 80bhp and 100bhp afaik. This is a GM unit and not as refined or good as the Fiat engine. 1.3 and 1.9 Astra diesels are Fiat sourced engines and are very reliable once looked after properly.

Is that 1.7 not a re-worked Isuzu lump from the earlier Opel days? Its amazing, you hear so many good and so many bad stories about those 1.3 cdti's!

Interior opels are boring. I'd buy golf Tdi,that's power and cheap to run.

Interior opels are boring. I'd buy golf Tdi,that's power and cheap to run.

Do you find golf interiors exciting?

Not really but Opel looks bland!small BMW are nice!

• Advertisement

What about the almera interior?

How would you rate that?

Advertisement