Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Grapevine (OFF TOPIC CHAT) Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

haha that's brilliant ^

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

My only problem with veganism is that I get hungry again too soon/don't stay full for long... I had a bag of nuts for breakfast followed by a hearty lentil stew and brown bread at about 12pm. It's 2pm now and I'm starving again!

turnikett1 wrote: »
    My only problem with veganism is that I get hungry again too soon/don't stay full for long... I had a bag of nuts for breakfast followed by a hearty lentil stew and brown bread at about 12pm. It's 2pm now and I'm starving again!

Ah but that isn't really a problem with veganism. As far as food is concerned veganism just means not consuming animal products, being healthy and having a balanced and varied diet is on you. Veganism doesn't restrict calories or food groups so it shouldn't be a problem. Unless you're just surviving on fruit and veg, a lot of people seem to assume that's all veggies/vegans eat. Those are obviously low calorie foods. It's like how people equate veganism with being healthy, it is of course healthier than eating animal products if you are eating a balanced and varied diet, but you can also be vegan and unhealthy, just depends on what you're eating. What you had sounds filling to me but I would say try a proper breakfast like porridge for something simple, or tofu scramble and toast for something that takes a little more effort. When I made eggless benedict for breakfast I couldn't even finish it. Then have your nuts instead as a snack in between meals. I can't really say what you're doing wrong from what you said or if you are even doing anything wrong. But if you're honest with yourself about the quantity and the quality of your food you will be able to figure it out yourself. I've been kinda the opposite, lost my appetite, lost weight, trying to get my appetite back and trying to eat more, which is probably why I'm posting all the food pics :o But again that is nothing to do with me being vegan.

If you use facebook there's a great group on there called 'what fat vegans eat', so many food ideas on there, both calorific food and healthy foods, maybe take a look, I really like it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

turnikett1 wrote: »

A bag of nuts is not ideal for breakfast, that is a snack food. You have to eat properly. Both nutritionally but also taking into account volume. The feeling of being full is also got to do with how much you eat as well as what you eat. Sure your body may get what it needs from lesser amounts but you feel hungry. Your body is used to consuming a certain amount and will still look for that amount. A lot of vegans eat less and healthier than when they ate meat, feeling hungry is natural then. Your stomach adapts to what you eat and will reduce in size if it needs to.

Dense foods like nuts take up the least space, but do not contribute as much to the full feeling. Complex carbs are your source of energy, low GI foods burn for hours. Protein and complex carbs will make you feel fuller along with volume. Also drinking water, most people do not drink enough water. It's actually pretty common that people associate thirst with hunger by accident, especially people who drink tea/coffee. Simple carbs like bread also make you feel hungrier, it's the same as eating biscuits, might be 1000 calories but doesn't fill you long. You are doing good eating nuts, great protein source but should be using them as a snack to complement you throughout the day instead of as a meal.

ye that's a good point actually, an example....

something I like.... toast with powdered sugar +cinnamon, because it tastes like a pastry to me. Last night I got vanilla sugar, I then ate probably 5/6 slices of toast over a couple hours because it was so tasty but not filling :o Calorific and tasty but doesn't take an expert to know that's not a good thing to eat.

Whereas this evening I had peanut stew, peanuts + chickpeas + potatoes = nice filling food that's also good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

peanut stew sounds awesome. I'm currently eating my bodyweight in almonds in work

Zombienosh wrote: »
    peanut stew sounds awesome. I'm currently eating my bodyweight in almonds in work

pistachios + me = no self control haha

Did you ever see that show 'secret eaters'. A lot of the time the people on there will think they're eating fine, they underestimate how many calories they're having and appear to be snacking on healthy things like nuts and seeds but take no account whatsoever of just how much of those they're eating so they're consuming all these hidden calories. We all do this.

Being vegan is easy, looking after yourself is a lot harder imo :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Anyone know any good algae omega 3 supplements? Found one on the Holland & Barret site but it only mention DHA and not EPA? Can't find any on the Evergreen site or in their shop. From what I've read here and other places other non-fish oil supplements aren't much good unless you're taking loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

Having a serious almond and nut overeating issue. I go through 300g nuts a week at v least, probably isn't the healthiest! Always blend the mixed nuts into a butter so feels like your eating way less too lol. Just found this really good article on how to eat nuts, the recommended is 25-30g a day (approx 20 almonds) apparently.

http://www.nutritionaustralia.org/national/frequently-asked-questions/general-nutrition/nuts-and-health

• Advertisement

I also use opt-3, think I got 3 for 2 deal before to make it slightly more affordable, it's a good one though and it has vit D in it as well.

Has anyone been watching Fargo the tv series btw?

Haven't seen the TV show (don't really watch tv) is it based on the movie?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Lots of vegan recipes for cheese, milk, sauces etc call for cashew nuts but they are quite expensive. Can I use almonds instead? Or does cashew have some special property that makes it more suitable?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Cashews have gone up a lot in the last year or 2, must be a harvest issue or something. They seem to be coming back down again though.

I found out an interesting fact, if nuts are roasted and/or salted they are 23% vat, sort of classed as snacks, while if you get raw unsalted nuts they are zero as they are a basic food ingredient. So even a spinkle of salt will be 23% more.

This is one reason why you see big price differences in the baking section in supermarkets where nuts are. I used to think they were lower quality, like cooking chocolate, of course this still could be the case for some.

In asian supermarkets you get raw cashews really cheap, or broken cashews even cheaper. In holland & barrett sales you can get cheap cashews.

Looking on tesco the almonds & cashews are similar enough prices. Though these ground almonds are unusually cheap per kilo

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=254914388

almonds are way better than cashews

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Picked up a kilo of cashews in Asia Market for €10 at the weekend - dear but not as dear as raw Macadamia nuts which are about £20 per kilo :eek:

Picked up a kilo of cashews in Asia Market for €10 at the weekend - dear
    I would consider that cheap, I don't think I have seen raw cashews for under €9 per kilo in asian shops, and that is going back years when they were cheaper in supermarkets too.

The other thing to do is ask in your local health food shop about getting them cheap in bulk. My local one was going to get me in whole grain rye in a 3kg bag instead of the 500g bags on the shelf, think it was about half the price per kilo. I would not expect that much reduction but could be worth asking.

Haven't seen the TV show (don't really watch tv) is it based on the movie?

ye based on the movie, it's brilliant, just 2 episodes out so far
    Lots of vegan recipes for cheese, milk, sauces etc call for cashew nuts but they are quite expensive. Can I use almonds instead? Or does cashew have some special property that makes it more suitable?

I always find lidl/aldi cheaper for those things. Or like henryporter up there said the asian supermarkets, asian supermarkets are a veggie dream

--LOS-- wrote: »
    Has anyone been watching Fargo the tv series btw?

Been meaning to but want to watch the film first. Exams start next week so I'll probably get to it after them. Almost finished reading Under the Dome so that's another series to start in on again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Feu

Been meaning to but want to watch the film first. Exams start next week so I'll probably get to it after them. Almost finished reading Under the Dome so that's another series to start in on again.

Amazing book, dreadful dreadful series. don't unless you have to

Feu wrote: »
    Amazing book, dreadful dreadful series. don't unless you have to

Oh really? I heard it was quite different but still good. Sure if I don't like it I'll stop watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Feu

In a way it is worth it, to see how dreadful it is, and it hasn't ruined the book for me or anything. Here is a very short review, a few spoilers tho, so don't watch just yet :)

Tonight we're off to Le Restaurant at Bon Appetit in Malahide. They said they can cater for myself as a vegan and the OH as a veggie. So erally looking forward to seeing what they come up with :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

do let us know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

rubadub wrote: »
    Cashews have gone up a lot in the last year or 2, must be a harvest issue or something. They seem to be coming back down again though.

I found out an interesting fact, if nuts are roasted and/or salted they are 23% vat, sort of classed as snacks, while if you get raw unsalted nuts they are zero as they are a basic food ingredient. So even a spinkle of salt will be 23% more.

This is one reason why you see big price differences in the baking section in supermarkets where nuts are. I used to think they were lower quality, like cooking chocolate, of course this still could be the case for some.

In asian supermarkets you get raw cashews really cheap, or broken cashews even cheaper. In holland & barrett sales you can get cheap cashews.

Looking on tesco the almonds & cashews are similar enough prices. Though these ground almonds are unusually cheap per kilo

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=254914388

Don't know about specific nuts but I always get the 300g natural nut&raisins in Dunnes for 2e. Haven't found them cheaper anywhere else. Just bung them into the food processor every week with some mix spice and that's nut butter done for the week! Does anyone get the almonds from Lidl/Aldi? Their friggin yum don't know why but they seem to taste better than any health food packs I've gotten.

Feu wrote: »
    In a way it is worth it, to see how dreadful it is, and it hasn't ruined the book for me or anything. Here is a very short review, a few spoilers tho, so don't watch just yet :)

Finished today after several hours of reading because I could just not put it down and decided I had to find out what was so terrible because I loved the book too much to see it destroyed (I'm good at separating adaptions and books normally but man I really loved it) and yeah...not checking that out. Hearing the change to Barbie's story, no, no on so many levels. Also the badly CGI-ed sheared in half cow made me cringe.

arf91 wrote: »
    Don't know about specific nuts but I always get the 300g natural nut&raisins in Dunnes for 2e. Haven't found them cheaper anywhere else.
    here is a tesco one which is just a little under €2 if it was 300g
    http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=262593881

that is a tesco own brand, they have several new brands which are not blatantly advertised as tesco. Your dunnes one might have better nut ratios.

A lot of the mixed nut bags are overpriced as they are bulked out with regular peanuts which can be got very cheap on their own.

do let us know :)

It was brilliant! Gonna post some pictures in the "heres what I had for dinner" thread.

I was a little concerned after that asked us if either of us ate fish! Apparently they had someone in a week or 2 ago who said they were vegan but ate fish :confused: But I needn't have worried as my meal was thankfully entirely vegan, even down to them informing me which breads would be suitable :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

It was brilliant! Gonna post some pictures in the "heres what I had for dinner" thread.

I was a little concerned after that asked us if either of us ate fish! Apparently they had someone in a week or 2 ago who said they were vegan but ate fish :confused: But I needn't have worried as my meal was thankfully entirely vegan, even down to them informing me which breads would be suitable :)

A vegan who eats fish? A fegan or a vegish? ;)

Advertisement