Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed V 2.0 [Mod note post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

well reading the other thread ''she seemed like an ignorant **8***. who kept unregular opening hours & other things. Whats the point in giving someone a place if they are going to be closed half the time or never know when they are open ''

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Umekichi wrote: »
    Well there is some speculation about what happened, the owner of a rival establishment posted on fb details about the food truck, numbers in the council to ring etc. and encouraged the page's followers to contact the council. The owner also got onto local TD's(I think), so it could be a combination of public pressure on the council and possibly a screw-up by a member of the council in granting them the pitch, since according to the owner of the rival business there was a waiting list.

Screw up, or possibly something worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Derbhoy

Railway Hotel Parnell St closed this Evening with immediate effect sad for all staff & customers .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Derbhoy wrote: »
    Railway Hotel Parnell St closed this Evening with immediate effect sad for all staff & customers .

Wow that is extremely sudden. I work up around there and not an inkling it was happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭power101

They didn't have a single booking engine working with them like booking.com or trivago.com. Pretty difficult to compete these days if you're not making yourself known and available on the internet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Sad, but unsurprising! The place was a kip!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,171 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Being honest I only thought the bar part was open these days.

It was never on the list of places people would think of staying in the city despite being across the road from the railway station. Parnell street as a whole is shabby and entices you to pass through it as quickly as possible but I guess the railway station redevelopment came too late for the Railway hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

davo2001 wrote: »
    Sad, but unsurprising! The place was a kip!
    A Collins dynasty enterprise, Fianna Fail to the back bone
    http://niallcollinstd.ie/nialls-background/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭TonyCliftonEsq

I'm surprised it lasted this long to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I'd love to see someone with vision take it over. It has great potential. Limerick's first hostel maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Jofspring

A lot of country people use it when they stay in the city and also a lot of away fans for the rugby use it. As a bar it has its regulars that go in their all the time and it had a popular enough carvery. Obviously it just couldn't compete in a competitive market.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

According to the Leader the shop next to the Railway Hotel (formally Mayes shop) is gone as well. It was owned by the husband of the owner of the Railway Hotel so was part of the same business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

jbkenn wrote: »
    A Collins dynasty enterprise, Fianna Fail to the back bone
    http://niallcollinstd.ie/nialls-background/

Is this the TD that wrote a letter to a judge to get a scumbag off a jail sentence?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Is this the TD that wrote a letter to a judge to get a scumbag off a jail sentence?

Firstly, you'll go a long distance to find a TD who hasn't done that.

Secondly, what has who used to own the hotel and his political allegiances got to do with the hotel closing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

I only asked a question keep your knickers on.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭apc

ya thats him and he was FF spokesman on justice at the time

Shame to see such an iconic business close

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭sioda

Iconic ah come on the place was a hole. Hopefully it's bought turned into a youth hostel

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭sioda

I see on Facebook that the whitehouse may be closing and reopening as a sports bar.

Real shame if it does imho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

sioda wrote: »
    I see on Facebook that the whitehouse may be closing and reopening as a sports bar.

Romantic Ireland's dead and gone ha?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

sioda wrote: »

Saw that on facebook last night but was hoping it wasn't true. I love The White House. It's got such character and is full to the brim with so many Limerick characters as well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I was in the Crescent on Sunday and saw staff in Gamestop emptying shelves, it looked like it was shutting up.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Butterfly25

I was in the Crescent on Sunday and saw staff in Gamestop emptying shelves, it looked like it was shutting up.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

Sign on the window of Game Stop says it's closed for refurbishments until Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Sign on the window of Game Stop says it's closed for refurbishments until Friday

More room for toys

Place is always empty these days.

Town always seems busy when I go there i guess it's the quality of the staff that keeps people coming back to William St

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Gamestop in Carlow refurbished recently. Looks like 60% gaming merchandise, 40% games now.

On the plus side, games were easier to browse.

On the minus side, well.... there were less games to browse.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Take hitman on the console's. It's being released one map per month so was released 3 months ago with no physical copy out yet.

Sony are always having a sale for digital content. I was always a disc buying gamer but not recently. I realised I never trade or sell my games so may as well buy digitally.

Death of the bricks and mortar shops so maybe gamestop are tailoring their offering for stuff that can't be bought digitally such as merchandise.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Plus GS offer the worst trade in price for games

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Came in to post the same about GameStop, looks like they'll be back open on Saturday.

Does anyone know what's happening with Nigel/Eddie's Barbers on Little Catherine Street? I went there recently and it looks like there was renovations taking place, but no signs up or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

just to say look @the way pc games are going all the pc game are gone from hmv now & gamestop will be probally same waynow.hard to get a physical copy now. all downloaded online now.

O yaa & Crush is closing again For renovations & Rebrand under new management.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭goochy

going by whats happening with other gamestops , they are changing to a lifestyle type store selling all types of nerdy stuff including games

Advertisement