Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Thargor wrote: »
    Whats the best way to weigh a bike? Is there any cheap luggage scales style thing on Ebay or anything like that? Or even any shops around Dublin with a big scales for heavy goods that would let you put it on for a second? I cant be arsed breaking down a list of components and googling the manufacturer specs...

I bought a few that looked EXACTLY like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Fish-Hook-Luggage-Hanging-Weighing-Scale-/400245955339?pt=US_Pocket_Digital_Scales&hash=item5d30849b0b

...except they were about $2 each. Caveat emptor.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Weigh yourself, then weigh yourself with bike in hand. Total weight - your weight = bike weight.
    homer-doh.png
    Lumen wrote: »
    I bought a few that looked EXACTLY like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Fish-Hook-Luggage-Hanging-Weighing-Scale-/400245955339?pt=US_Pocket_Digital_Scales&hash=item5d30849b0b

...except they were about $2 each. Caveat emptor.
    Just bought these aswell though, will come in handy for other stuff cheers.

EDIT: A €4 pair that on .co.uk not that $100+ pair obviously...

Just bought these aswell though, will come in handy for other stuff cheers.

Please tell me you didn't pay $100 for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

See my edit :D

Although your link says he's sold 12 of them, madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Whats the best way to weigh a bike? Is there any cheap luggage scales style thing on Ebay or anything like that? Or even any shops around Dublin with a big scales for heavy goods that would let you put it on for a second? I cant be arsed breaking down a list of components and googling the manufacturer specs...

Hold bike. Step on scales. Note weight.
    Repeat without bike.
    Subtract numbers to give bike weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

This will be my first full year of cycling and I am blown away by the number of cycling events that actually take place throughout this country. My cycling calendar is filling up quite nicely!
    Hopefully see a few boardsies throughout this coming year at various events!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

There's loads, I'm hoping to get a good few done myself this year. There's usually good craic at the events also. If you see a bike with Captain Havoc on it, say hello.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

Sorry, I was going durrr because I missed you were talking about foundation. I was making fun of myself, not you.

ah, it all makes sense to me. Now you may make fun of me! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

For anyone based in KK.

10930_435223049887446_1667369145_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Why are those tasked with "maintaining the peace" among the most intimidating characters on the roads?

Got what I can only describe as a "thuggish" response from a Garda on the Rock road there, not really called for at all.

He was stopping traffic to let a car he had pulled over, pull out. Of course, as I was approaching, it looked like a checkpoint, as he was walking away from the car and out into the middle of the road to stop traffic. I slowed down, but was ready to carry on:

"STOP! THAT MEANS CYCLISTS TOO!"

"What for?"

"Because I'm letting that lady (in pulled over car) out!" Ya got a problem with that?"

Now, I've never seen a Garda stop traffic to let someone pull out of a lay-by when they are perfectly able to wait for a gap in light traffic and do it themselves. Why he felt the need to walk out in front of traffic and stop all 2 (3!) lanes, is beyond me. But the manner in which he started yelling at me was uncalled for.

I know there are a good few Gardai on here, I'm not trying to ruffle feathers, but there seems to be a complete lack of courtesy from some members of AGS.

• Advertisement

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I know there are a good few Gardai on here, I'm not trying to ruffle feathers, but there seems to be a complete lack of courtesy from some members of AGS.

Meanwhile in a Garda forum somewhere...
    I know there are a good few cyclists on here, I'm not trying to ruffle feathers, but there seems to be a complete lack of obedience from some cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

"sure the gardai arnt happy at moment, can barely pay their 2nd mortgage at the moment with what their been paid. " not trying ruffle any feathers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

DirkVoodoo wrote: »

Were you out in your hoodie again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

All the way home last night into the teeth of a headwind I was wondering, whining, whimsically wishing for a tailwind this morning. YES!
    22kph ave home, 28kph ave in. What a lovely cycle in. yummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Campagnolo 80years Anniversary groupset

8492249091_015d44b969_c.jpg

More here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/glorycycles/sets/72157632817048576/with/8492249091/

Wtf designed this crap? Campagnolo is all for style, this is just ugly.

251792_352094274903430_1128206061_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

You can add dog fighting and perjury.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Why does my front wheel pulse when braking under pressure. Feels like I got really really slow ABS :pac:

Is it as simple as dirt/greese on the rim or are the forks/headset loose? Or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Why does my front wheel pulse when braking under pressure. Feels like I got really really slow ABS :pac:

Is it as simple as dirt/greese on the rim or are the forks/headset loose? Or something else?

might not be a true wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Raam wrote: »

a pretend wheel? :eek:

• Advertisement

Raam wrote: »

No, it's straight. I should really take some degreaser to the rim and see if this works first shouldn't I :rolleyes:

Are you using a long valve tube by any chance?

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Are you using a long valve tube by any chance?

Yeah I think I am on the front, why?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Are the pads grabbing certain areas of the rim? Degrease it and file back the pads a bit.

Yeah I think I am on the front, why?

Sometimes with long valves there is a bit pulsating breaking due to uneven weight as the wheel rolls. Try with a different tube to see if it will make any difference, there are weight stickers that you can put in the opposite side of the rim to minimize the effect if it's something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

From the Sunday Times: "OMG, cyclists are eating our babies!!!" (full article available to paid subscribers only).

Response from VeloViewer: "Ah get a grip, will ya"

The Sunday Times article just sounds like poorly researched nonsense and probably not worth the time (or cost) to read it, but the response makes for an interesting read as it analyses why Strava segment info can paint a very misleading picture of rider performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

I got my order with CRC in at 2:59, will I still stand to receive same-day dispatch? (They say orders before 3pm GM.)

Bring some cycling bling into the meeting room:

antiquestyle53.jpg

sramantique.jpg

campagrecord_blingbling.jpg

Only £52 per pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Was cycling home through Ranelagharound midnight and there were a couple of lads running up the road coming from a house party.

As I cycle by one of them running by me he just quickly says "real men ride women" without stopping and he kept going, couldn't stop laughing for a few minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Capt
    Where did you see those cufflinks?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement