Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obama sends troops into Africa

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Jonny7 wrote: »

I'm not sure they'd start with the arse end of Uganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Uganda,mineral rich/oil rich ???????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭The Outside Agency

jonny7 wrote:
    Humanitarianism or part of an ongoing plot to recolonise Africa?

Africa has many natural resources which China is currently taking advantage of.

Africom was activated in October 2008

It's first military engagement was of course, Libya...

Libya, Nigeria and South Africa opposed any US military bases in the region but of course, that won't stop the US and it certainly won't stop US invading more african countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

nivekd wrote: »
    Africa has many natural resources which China is currently taking advantage of.

Libya, Nigeria and South Africa opposed any US military bases in the region but of course, that won't stop the US and it certainly won't stop US invading more african countries.

Which countries have the US invaded in Africa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

The LRA are a total nightmare. The sooner they are pushing up the daisies, the better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Rwanda happened and everyone compalined the US didn't get nvolved, they are now getting involved in some hell hole and they are criticised. I'm no fan of some of their adventures but let's face it when it comes to foreign policy they are always going to get criticised.

fontanalis wrote: »
    Rwanda happened and everyone compalined the US didn't get nvolved, they are now getting involved ins oem hell hole and they are criticied. I'm no fan of some of their adventures but let's face it when it comes to foreign policy they are always going to get criticised.
    If they were a little more transparent in their dealings, I think people would respect them more. But they can't say to the broad base of (let's face it, pretty ignorant) US voters that they are invading Iraq to secure oil supplies into the next century, or whatever - they have to con them into supporting the US army (and send their children to war) with a load of nonsense about liberty, freedom, 'they hate us because we are so great' and whatever else.

And then of course when they actually do the altruistic stuff (which they certainly do) it's infected by the same cynicism we treat their pretend 'altruism' with.

Libya is of course in Africa and as I said, NATOs attack earlier this year was AFRICOMs first military engagement in Africa.

AFRICOM was only activated in October 2008 and we're now seeing the beginning of it's operations there which are absolutely not friendly.

Libya, Nigeria and South Africa all opposed any US military bases on the continent.

Do you honestly believe the US is sending troops into Africa to "help" people? :confused:

So you're trying to tell me that despite the fact banks can freeze financial assets of Libya, they can't do the same against a bunch of terrorists?

How do they buy their weapons? ...they need money, don't they?
    Where/Who do they buy them from?

It's not a problem that requires any troop deployment...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

So you're trying to tell me that despite the fact banks can freeze financial assets of Libya, they can't do the same against a bunch of terrorists?

Lads, we have the answer to stopping any and every terrorist organisation. Freeze their assets... :pac:

They must agree with you, seeing as they only sent a hundred men in a training and advisory capacity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Do you honestly believe the US is sending troops into Africa to "help" people? :confused:

Better off with a group of Christian crazies running around kidnapping people you reckon?

The US troops will act subject to the approval of the host countries and not independently of them. Human Rights watch have approved the development since they have lobbied for it in the first place.

So what have Libya, Nigeria and South Africa got to do with this at all? Why even mention them?

studiorat wrote: »
    So what have Libya, Nigeria and South Africa got to do with this at all? Why even mention them?
    All great bastions of human rights?

All great bastions of human rights?

You mean human rights demonstrated in Iraq? Like this?
    The same freedom Iraqis and Afghans enjoy today..

Yes, the 1 true saviour of Africa, naturally.
    CiaranMT wrote:
    Lads, we have the answer to stopping any and every terrorist organisation. Freeze their assets...

Yes, you'd be amazed how useful money and weapons are in running any military campaign.

After all, when the west seized $60 billion soverign wealth fund owned by Libya, they were quick to use this in supporting the "rebels" topple their old pal Gaddafi.

Now all they have to do is divide up the oil and gas contracts...then Libyans can look forward to future of McDonalds and Burger King.
    These are clearly the benefits of freedom.

You mean human rights demonstrated in Iraq? Like this?
    The same freedom Iraqis and Afghans enjoy today..

Yes, the 1 true saviour of Africa, naturally.

Yes, you'd be amazed how useful money and weapons are in running any military campaign.

After all, when the west seized $60 billion soverign wealth fund owned by Libya, they were quick to use this in supporting the "rebels" topple their old pal Gaddafi.

Now all they have to do is divide up the oil and gas contracts...then Libyans can look forward to future of McDonalds and Burger King.
    These are clearly the benefits of freedom.

Well the governments of some African countries aren't. I'd guarantee that if some genocide happened in one of these hell holes the same people would be out shouting about the US profting some how from standing by.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭muppet01

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Lads, we have the answer to stopping any and every terrorist organisation. Freeze their assets... :pac:

I can see it now, " hi i'd like a bank draft from my account for 22million" "sure no problem, whats the name of the account?" "the peoples liberation front of inner sudan" "ok , payable to whom?" " toyota hilux military modifacation company"........................GROW UP "FREEZE THEIR ASSETS":D

Well the governments of some African countries aren't. I'd guarantee that if some genocide happened in one of these hell holes the same people would be out shouting about the US profting some how from standing by.

I never argued they were, fontanalis!

But i'm not retarded enough to believe the US military gives a sh1t about human rights either given their track record.

Ugandan president Museveni has been in power for 25+ years.
    I'd call that a dictatorship but perhaps you see it as something else.

Libya yeah right...

Africom have been chasing down the LRA in Uganda and DR Congo for years.

You're trying to tell people Libya was their first military engagement, why? It all seems pretty big on opinion and not too big on facts.

muppet01 wrote: »
    I can see it now, " hi i'd like a bank draft from my account for 22million" "sure no problem, whats the name of the account?" "the peoples liberation front of inner sudan" "ok , payable to whom?" " toyota hilux military modifacation company"........................GROW UP "FREEZE THEIR ASSETS":D

You know, it's endearing to read all the moronic comments like this, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

Let me educate you on the situation here.

1. Uganda/East Africa suddently has lots of oil.

MARCH 3rd 2010

NAIROBI, Kenya, March 10 (UPI) -- East Africa is emerging as the next oil boom following a big strike in Uganda's Lake Albert Basin. Other oil and natural gas reserves have been found in Tanzania and Mozambique and exploration is under way in Ethiopia and even war-torn Somalia.

Read UPI article here

APRIL 7th 2011
    KAMPALA, Uganda, April 7 (UPI) -- Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni is reported to be tightening his grip on the East African country's emerging oil sector in a region that seems set to become the new frontier for oil and gas exploration.

The centerpiece of Uganda's nascent oil industry is the Lake Albert field that holds at least 2.5 billion barrels of oil. Some estimates go as high as 6 billion barrels.

But whatever the total, Lake Albert, lying in the center of Africa between Uganda and the Democratic Republic of Congo, is the biggest discovery in sub-Saharan Africa in two decades

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Business_News/Energy-Resources/2011/04/07/Museveni-tightens-grip-on-Ugandas-oil/UPI-94521302211453/#ixzz1b49VHK8w

2. Identify a legitimate reason to establish military presence in the region in order to protect national interests.

This is where ICG comes in, a George Soros funded group.

APRIL 28th 2011

LRA: A Regional Strategy beyond Killing Kony

Deploy a team to the theatre of operations to run an intelligence platform that centralises all operational information from the Ugandan and other armies, as well as the UN and civilian networks, and provides analysis to the Ugandans to better target military operations.

With that said, do you honestly think the US gives a **** about the LRA or who they've raped or murdered in Uganda?

They don't and that's what i've been arguing.

Libya yeah right...

Africom have been chasing down the LRA in Uganda and DR Congo for years.

You're trying to tell people Libya was their first military engagement, why? It all seems pretty big on opinion and not too big on facts.

HAHAHA...you have no clue, studiorat.

The lack of insight on these topics with people on this forum is amazing.

HAHAHA...you have no clue, studiorat.

The lack of insight on these topics with people on this forum is amazing.

Here's a link to General William Ward testifying to the Africom operations in 2008 trying to catch the LRA leadership. http://armed-services.senate.gov/Webcasts/2009/March/03-17-09Webcast.htm

You're lack of insight is particularly amazing. :rolleyes:

What they did then is exactly the same as they are doing now, it's not even newsworthy. No change, the only thing that's new is you've just heard about it!!

• Advertisement

Here's a link to General William Ward testifying to the Africom operations in 2008 trying to catch the LRA leadership. http://armed-services.senate.gov/Webcasts/2009/March/03-17-09Webcast.htm

You're lack of insight is particularly amazing. :rolleyes:

I've already provided you with enough information on the intentions of US military presence in the region and it's got sweet FA to do with LRA.

I've already provided you with enough information on the intentions of US military presence in the region and it's got sweet FA to do with LRA.

You have provided false information so far.

Libya was not their first engagement. Why are you telling people otherwise?

You have provided false information so far.

Libya was not their first engagement. Why are you telling people otherwise?

So what was the first engagement?

It says on a wikipedia page here

Engagements: 2011 military intervention in Libya

If you have some contradictory information, please provide it.

However, I think you'll find you don't understand too well the objectives of AFRICOM...go look at a map to find out.

Here you go:

http://www.vaccines.mil/images/CommandMap.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

The LRA don't have bank accounts as such.

Cash

Up 10,000 armed men and children hacking, raping, killing and mutilating their way through the region for over two decades does not require troop deployment? what does it require?

I never argued they were, fontanalis!

But i'm not retarded enough to believe the US military gives a sh1t about human rights either given their track record.

Ugandan president Museveni has been in power for 25+ years.
    I'd call that a dictatorship but perhaps you see it as something else.

So you want intervention but you want the US to say they care but make you believe they do?
    There was a thread in AH after the Haiti earhtquake; you had some people saying the US were only giving aid to look good and othere saying they weren't giving enough!
    The US rightly gets a lot of criticism from Islamic countries but they were also the first in to Banda Aceh after the tsunami in 2006.

So what was the first engagement?

It says on a wikipedia page here

Engagements: 2011 military intervention in Libya

If you have some contradictory information, please provide it.

However, I think you'll find you don't understand too well the objectives of AFRICOM...go look at a map to find out.

Good old Wikipedia eh?

There is a long history of LRA violence in Congo. Attacks, however, reached a peak after Operation Lightning Thunder of December 2008, when the Ugandan army, in collaboration with the Congolese army and with U.S. support, attacked LRA bases in the Congolese Garamba National Park.

The US rightly gets a lot of criticism from Islamic countries but they were also the first in to Banda Aceh after the tsunami in 2006.

For the OIL!*

*assuming there's oil there

For the OIL!*

*assuming there's oil there

There's a pipeline from Belmullet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Its probably about many things.
    Americans like to take countries oil and resources yes.
    But they also like to promote their democracy and get more countries under their thumb.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

The Irish Defence Forces have personnel as trainers and advisors to the Somali army in Uganda too.

In fact the commander of the entire EU mission there is Irish.

http://www.military.ie/air-corps/news-and-events/single-view/article/ireland-to-take-on-the-role-of-mission-commander-in-eu-training-mission-in-somalia?cHash=216bade6b82ee77f875ab1fa65dce3d7

Advertisement