Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People answering their phone and saying their number

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

This bugs the crap out of me!!!! It's bad enough that I have to spend my day ringing people and annoying them, but I could never firgure out why someone answers the phone with "Hello 011234567"... I know its 011234567, cause I just dialled 011234567. One time I responded with "Hi 011234567, this is 017654321"..... they didnt like it and called me a smart arse and hung up!!! But all I did was respond to them in the same manor that they answered the phone.

So I ask you AH, what do you guys make of this? Do you do it? And what other phone habits do people have the p**s you off???

My parents used to have a number that was one digit removed from a taxi company, 298XXXX1 vs 298XXXXX, so they would frequently get calls from people looking for taxis. Consequently it makes perfect sense for them to say the phone number as given their personal experience, people are ****wits about entering numbers. You may not be, and blessings on you if you are not, but not everyone is.

ALSO. When people ask if someone is there, and you go 'No, I'm afraid you have the wrong number', and they say 'Are you sure?' GO **** YOURSELF YOU **** ****ING ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Remember these OP?

Back then it was custom to greet with your number cos it was so much easier to mis-dial a number.I imagine it's just a custom carried on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

It's possible for your phone call to reach a different number than you dialled.

Years ago I got about twenty phone calls in the space of an hour. The telephone lines in the town had some kind of fault and I was getting someone elses calls. Each phone call was a different person and they each spent ages trying to convince me that they didn't have the wrong number. I also got a call from emergency services that day asking if I had dialled 999.

As for you replying to these people by telling them your number, I think you're doing them a favour by annoying them straight away. You were going to annoy them eventually so at least you cut to the chase and they could hang up before you went into a load of telemarketing spiel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

staker wrote: »
    Remember these OP?

I do indeed, old school!

It's possible for your phone call to reach a different number than you dialled.

Years ago I got about twenty phone calls in the space of an hour. The telephone lines in the town had some kind of fault and I was getting someone elses calls. Each phone call was a different person and they each spent ages trying to convince me that they didn't have the wrong number. I also got a call from emergency services that day asking if I had dialled 999.

As for you replying to these people by telling them your number, I think you're doing them a favour by annoying them straight away. You were going to annoy them eventually so at least you cut to the chase and they could hang up before you went into a load of telemarketing spiel.

Ive heard of that before alright, happened in my friends house in carlow a few years back

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

staker wrote: »
    Remember these OP?

Back then it was custom to greet with your number cos it was so much easier to mis-dial a number.I imagine it's just a custom carried on.

Way ahead of their time - even set up for texting! :eek::pac::cool:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭maygitchell

I wish my number was like 01 22222222

So when i give out my number to dubs, all i have to say is, just hit 2 for a while until i answer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Ive heard of that before alright, happened in my friends house in carlow a few years back
    This was in Carlow too. It was probably the same day. I bet there was a lot of pissed off Carlow residents that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

This was in Carlow too. It was probably the same day. I bet there was a lot of pissed off Carlow residents that day.

Without a doubt!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭J K

IngazZagni wrote: »
    their number was one number off that of a big hotel close by. They constantly got calls of people trying to make a reservation.

I don't see why they wouldn't take reservations. And book people in. It would only take a couple of minutes. OK ultimately there will be a degree of confusion and frustration down the line, but certainly for the duration of the phone call everyone is happy. If we can all help each other out, then everyone's happy and things run more smoothly.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭VenusPlays

The phone number at my parents house is one digit off from the local Bank of Ireland. We are always getting calls for them. I must start taking account numbers and mothers maiden names for security purposes.

I always thought the number thing was because you used to have to get the exchange to put you through rather than direct dial?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭homer.j

HAH! That is so 1980's was it ever anything to do with this phone, by the time you dialled the number you'd forget who you were calling. :D

903431h_20.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Victor Meldrew " Hello, 4291"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

JaxxYChicK wrote: »
    My grandparents (on my father's side) used to do this, I could never understand it myself. Always assumed they did it because they were pretentious idiots. :D

I used to do this when I was a kid! Picked it off my mother, always assumed she got from always answering her phone with her extension number in work, then again she was a pretentious idiot (not true my mother is a saint)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

My mother usually answers the phone with "good evening, how may I help you?" and people constantly think they've called the wrong number because she sounds like a receptionist. Years of taking the piss out of her for it haven't had any effect unfortunately :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Advertisement