Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People answering their phone and saying their number

Options
  • 14-10-2011 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭

This bugs the crap out of me!!!! It's bad enough that I have to spend my day ringing people and annoying them, but I could never firgure out why someone answers the phone with "Hello 011234567"... I know its 011234567, cause I just dialled 011234567. One time I responded with "Hi 011234567, this is 017654321"..... they didnt like it and called me a smart arse and hung up!!! But all I did was respond to them in the same manor that they answered the phone.

So I ask you AH, what do you guys make of this? Do you do it? And what other phone habits do people have the p**s you off???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

22222 1890 22222

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

This bugs the crap out of me!!!! It's bad enough that I have to spend my day ringing people and annoying them, but I could never firgure out why someone answers the phone with "Hello 011234567"... I know its 011234567, cause I just dialled 011234567. One time I responded with "Hi 011234567, this is 017654321"..... they didnt like it and called me a smart arse and hung up!!! But all I did was respond to them in the same manor that they answered the phone.

So I ask you AH, what do you guys make of this? Do you do it? And what other phone habits do people have the p**s you off???

You are calling someone that doesn't want to hear from you and giving them cheek. Telemarketers are bad enough let alone guys like you wasting peoples time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Never heard of that but what bugs me is someone saying their name only in their voicemail

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

But all I did was respond to them in the same manor that they answered the phone.
    If you were in the same house why did you bother ringing
    Maybe they just get a lot of wrong number calls and got sick of the "is this not 12345" "no this is 12355" "oh right wrong number sorry" conversations

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Hate it so f*cking annoying like "hello 11850"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Lumbo wrote: »
    22222 1890 22222

Six 2's godamnit! 1890 222222!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Balfie

I have never hear this in my life. You must ring some strange people.

Either that or the sex phone lines are just tellin ya the number an the price it is to call per min.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

052 22222

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

IngazZagni wrote: »
    You are calling someone that doesn't want to hear from you and giving them cheek. Telemarketers are bad enough let alone guys like you wasting peoples time.

Trust me I wouldnt be doing this job if I had any success getting another one! And I'm always looking, just dont get why people introduce themselves as their phone number! It's stupid imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

My grandparents (on my father's side) used to do this, I could never understand it myself. Always assumed they did it because they were pretentious idiots. :D

• Advertisement

What if you thought you rang 011234567 and the response from the other end of the line is 011234576. You'd feel like a right tit then wouldn't ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Do you ever notice on American TV that they always seem to hang up mid conversation, rarely ever conclude a conversation by agreeing something or a simple goodbye or catch you later.

That would piss me off big time!

bluewolf wrote: »
    If you were in the same house why did you bother ringing

Same house?
    Balfie wrote: »
    I have never hear this in my life. You must ring some strange people.

Either that or the sex phone lines are just tellin ya the number an the price it is to call per min.

*cover blown..........................

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Same house?

A manor is a house
    A manner is what you were looking for

don't mind my pedantry :pac:
    jester77 wrote:
    Do you ever notice on American TV that they always seem to hang up mid conversation, rarely ever conclude a conversation by agreeing something or a simple goodbye or catch you later.

"hi X, I need this information quick"
    "okay it's ..."
    *hangs up*
    I'd be sitting there going "you're welcome you rude fcuker"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

jester77 wrote: »

Yes! And if they make plans to meet they never set a time! Wtf is that all about? People in American tv walking around knowing they have plans later, but not clear on exactly when later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

The appropriate reference is towards the end of the video. He has picked up on it nicely, but he irks me in general.

bluewolf wrote: »
    A manor is a house
    A manner is what you were looking for

don't mind my pedantry :pac:

Looks for speeling for dummies on ebay!! lol
    JaxxYChicK wrote: »
    Yes! And if they make plans to meet they never set a time! Wtf is that all about? People in American tv walking around knowing they have plans later, but not clear on exactly when later.

I notice that too!! But we could prob start a whole forum let alone a thread on stupid things americans do.... lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭eirn

I think it's just kind of an old fashioned thing, only saying hello when answering the phone was once thought of as being rude and ill mannered, no idea why though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

This practice stems back to before the days of speed dial or one touch calling...you didn't turn around and say the family name, you said the number, so whoever it is who was calling could be sure that they'd called the right number.
    It's an anachronism now but there are many people who it's a habit for...my late mother used to do this all the time, it wasn't till she got a mobile that it stopped, and even still sometimes she'd lift the housephone and it'd just come out automatically.

eirn wrote: »
    I think it's just kind of an old fashioned thing, only saying hello when answering the phone was once thought of as being rude and ill mannered, no idea why though!

Me either, saying something like "The Smiths Phone" or something like that would be grand, but the phone number just bugs the s**t out of me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Well it's interesting that actually. My parents used to answer the phone with the number of their house. They did it because their number was one number off that of a big hotel close by. They constantly got calls of people trying to make a reservation. They would then say "oh is this not 222..". So they decided to answer with the number so people would know straight away that this probably isn't a hotel and they have the wrong number. Luckily the hotel changed its number and they don't get calls anymore so have stopped doing that.

Wertz wrote: »
    This practice stems back to before the days of speed dial or one touch calling...you didn't turn around and say the family name, you said the number, so whoever it is who was calling could be sure that they'd called the right number.
    It's an anachronism now but there are many people who it's a habit for...my late mother used to do this all the time, it wasn't till she got a mobile that it stopped, and even still sometimes she'd lift the housephone and it'd just come out automatically.

I do notice it a lot more in the elderly people alright, but there is quite a lot of young people that do it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

JaxxYChicK wrote: »
    It's TV people, I'm sure it doesn't happen in real life situations :D
    Anyway not really a phone habit as such but it drives me demented when I am chatting to someone who has bad reception on their phone, I just end up cutting them off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Are you still living in the 80s? :eek:

Ruu wrote: »
    Are you still living in the 80s? :eek:

I wish, then there'd be good music on!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I don't think I've ever heard anyone under 30 do it...and certainly not on a mobile.

Ever noticed how few wrong numbers you get these days? Primarily because of one touch dialing systems... the only wrong numbers I do get are usually elderly women.

As for yanks hanging up mid sentence...mostly to do with the ease of calling someone back and just how comfortable they are on the phone...it wasn't until the last 5 yrs or so that we got similar packages to US phone customers where you had free landline calls rather than paying for each one and for the time used...that's been common practice in the 'States since the early 80's.

Wertz wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever heard anyone under 30 do it...and certainly not on a mobile.

Ever noticed how few wrong numbers you get these days? Primarily because of one touch dialing systems... the only wrong numbers I do get are usually elderly women.

I hear it often enough, but that's because I'm dialing about 400 numbers a day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

I can honestly say this has never happened to me nor have I even even heard of a phone being answered with a number

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I usually just say 'the Huxtable residence':pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

I have a friend that does this, very very annoying. So after years of giving him stick about thinking he lives in Hollywood land, i now just preempt him and hang up when he is in mid sentence.

Advertisement