Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fed up with Carlow IT students' behaviour.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 shem676

menta125 wrote: »

P.S.: I have never heard of any SU member getting "campaign donations". Not even student gossip supports that. I would delete that if I were you.

What I'm relying on students to do is to behave in a socially responsible manner...is that too much foot-work to ask for?? Neighbourhood watch...Students services etc. etc.. have been and are involved however this transient 'culture' is passed on from year to year... how do you reason with drunken yobs at 3 & 4 AM?? I would be fearful for my personal safety and security of my property if I tried to confront them. The gardaí are over-stretched and the hoo-ha has moved on by the time they arrive.

If you've never heard of 'campaign donations' etc.. it doesn't that it didn't/doesn't happen...I've seen student leaders being 'treated' in return for support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 menta125

shem676 wrote: »
    What I'm relying on students to do is to behave in a socially responsible manner...is that too much foot-work to ask for?? Neighbourhood watch...Students services etc. etc.. have been and are involved however this transient 'culture' is passed on from year to year... how do you reason with drunken yobs at 3 & 4 AM?? I would be fearful for my personal safety and security of my property if I tried to confront them. The gardaí are over-stretched and the hoo-ha has moved on by the time they arrive.

If you've never heard of 'campaign donations' etc.. it doesn't that it didn't/doesn't happen...I've seen student leaders being 'treated' in return for support.

Look if neighbourhood watch and student services haven't come to some sort of conclusion on the matter by now, the current model isn't working. What have you personally, or other residents done about the matter? Literally, I would love to see details of a meeting on the matter, or even correspondences between residents and the council.

Have you contacted the Students Union yet? No, probably not.

No ones asking you to go out and start confronting people who are drunk. It's the Gardai's job to respond immediately, it's not like you're asking them to go to the moon and back. Their job entails keeping the peace, and might I add, ensuring the college is aware the gardai are getting reports of residential disturbances in college/residential areas.

I'm giving you plenty of scope and information here to deal with the problem, but you've yet to show me you've actually actively tried to get going on the issue.

Drinking culture in Ireland is a whole other issue and completely off topic....

To be honest, I can't help you anymore than I have. No time to even meet and discuss the matter with you in person. The Students Union are there to meet. Call them, ask for a meeting between you and the residents. Tell them what you want, and mean business. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭royston_vasey

@menta125

There have been discussions between Students Union, IT, gardai and residents association as well as pressure put on councillors. End result is that students union don't care and neither do the IT, residents associations failed to act as a collective for various reasons, councillors don't give a toss unless it affects their area or elections are on the horizon.

In short trying to get an inclusive process going has been tried and failed due to the usual issues of self interest, trust disposition and nepotism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 BrainyWife

The same happened with my two friends Danny and Joan. They actually got threats from a particular student and lived in fear. They rang the guards over and over again but up to no avail. Its really sad. I am not moving back there never!:mad:

Advertisement