Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Railfan Association

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I can't see what's wrong with 'railway enthusiast' - why does everything have to be dumbed down? Birder instead of birdwatcher.....:( or, in my case, ex-railway enthusiast....I'm FREE!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

I can see what's wrong with 'railway enthusiast' - why does everything have to be dumbed down? Birder instead of birdwatcher.....:( or, in my case, ex-railway enthusiast....I'm FREE!!!!

In your case why not go the full hog ? - 'Erstwhile ferroequinologist extraordinaire' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

My view is that we are a pretty diverse group in our range of interests. Its just the case that the history has been fraught with splits and divisions. There are divisive phrases such as "Chicken Dinner", and its various derivatives that cause offence.

Terms such as the IRRS being described as "fossils" or the "CIE love in" can and do cause offence, even if they are amusing.

Describing the Department of Regional Development in Northern Ireland got me banned, but mind.....my penalty points were building over time.

The history of the boards.ie section of Commuting and Transport, with the Train and Rail systems subsection is relatively long. Again, its the product of evolution.

1. Irishrailwaynews started in 2001 as a mass gathering online of Irish railway enthusiasts.
    2. Railusers.ie or Platform11 started in 2002 as it looked like several closures were going to take place, and they were created to lobby to prevent that on one hand, and lobby for further development and improvements on another.

Naturally there was a division on the views of 1 and 2. One divisive point was the Western Rail Corridor from Athenry-Sligo and on to Derry, upon which reams have been written already.....(Huge thread and counting). This against the Interconnector, and building the line to Navan. Ironically, none of which looks like going ahead with the financial crisis.

3. The repeat in Ireland of the UK 1990's Locomotive vs DMU debate, which was also divisive in other ways. Enthusiasts want the Locomotive hauled stock, whereas modernisers want the optimum mix, DMU's where appropriate, Loco hauled where economic.

From my own perspective at least, its whats best for Ireland that I'd like. Again, thats a divisive issue. Certainly over the years its been:

(a) Extension of DART and electrification.
    (b) Interconnector.
    (c) Improving speeds and service frequencies.
    (d) Following best International practice
    (e) Developing railfreight
    (f) Making the railway relevant to modern Ireland rather than an anachronistic joke.

Amongst many. Boards.ie has become a refugee camp for those alienated/banned by railusers.ie and irishrailwaynews, and it has many of the older posters from both sites going back 10 years. As such it is a valuable database in itself from the research perspective. Ask almost anything, and you are certain to get a valid answer within 72 hours.

From an enthusiasts perspective....what do I like.

(a) Getting there is half the fun.....
    (b) Once its faster, affordable, comfortable.
    (c) Steam, Diesel, Multiple Unit, don't care once the scenery is nice, the service is good, its on time, the food is nice, and a few beers also as long as it does not annoy other passengers.
    (d) Of course....I like Loco hauled, but I am not obsessed with it. Its a preference like Steak or Lobster which is dying out due to modernisation. I won't lose sleep over it, and if I want it.....I'll traipse overseas for it as part of a holiday.

But its also as I have learned, cherishing the best of the past, relishing the best of the future. There are valuable posters here, even those I have offended from time to time. Time is a healer and time teaches.....thats for certain, and its also about maturity and courtesy as well, even though ribbing mild sarcasm can seem like fun at the time, it does offend.

Regards

dermo88

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

dmcronin wrote: »

I feel distinctly normal after watching that! Never understood the flailing arms out the windows lark myself,a big smile on my face is a sure sign i'm enjoying some GM thrash.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

In the BBC series 'Great British Railway Journeys' Michael Portillo interviews some train spotters. Scroll to 8:40 minutes, 1st video. A fairly benign leisure activity, sure after all I do the same ! ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

Seeing the British Bashing fraternity made me realise there was a mild Malaysian equivalent.

Myself and a few Malay (ethnic Muslim lads), got absolutely sozzled on beer and cigarettes, and some illicit cigarettes.

My one abiding memory is the 70km climb up Bukit Berapit, hauled by a 1500hp engine that sounds like an 071. First prizes for the one who finds it, because for a rail enthusiast, its an excuse to emigrate.

Go baby climb,

You can make it,

Sing to the hills,

(Meanwhile in the background, we have "World Hold On" by Bob Sinclair, and around 10km from the top of the gradient an illicit "1/2 E tab" kicks in.

FANTASTIC, We had popped 40 minutes before.

Sing to the hills you beauty.....SING.....

This was a booze fueled teenage holiday to Galway, Waterford or Wexford, the difference being, we could actually afford the train ticket and a crate of beer for everyone as Adults. What a difference. Youth forever, and safety regulations out the window.

She roars her heart out, 200 tonnes in tow. The train guard is pissed, and he does not care. We gave him beer. And we are toking. Along with the clag of blue smoke from the Class 25 is a clag of another kind from the first coach.. Pass the Dutchy on the left hand side.

The roar of the turbo. The doors on Malaysian trains are Pullman style, they close IN. You can smoke to your hearts content as long as its not in the air conditioned section.

And then there is the descent down the 1/80. She stops singing, but then there is the noise of wheel against joint.

In more ways than one.

Do I want this in Ireland? No

Because while its nice, its effing inefficient, its the way of the past. Its nice to land it overseas.

Oh and if in the highly unlikely event I fall out of the coach stoned and drunk,

Its my tough poop.

But by Christ, the Bashers seem more bitchy than a bunch of queens in the George on Gin Tonic and sympathy.

Love it or loathe it, or the people, the aim should always be, around the world:

Getting there is half the fun.

Advertisement