Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Railfan Association

Options
  • 13-10-2011 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭

Why is there no dedicated association for rail enthusiasts/gricers/spotters in this country? The closest enthusiast grouping appears to be the Irish Railcar Gricers Association. Their brief however would appear to exclude those whose interest would be centred around locomotives and hauled stock.

The RPSI, though consisting of many dedicated enthusiasts, is in the main a restoration grouping, similarly the ITG. The IRRS is mainly a historical society. IRN is clearly subscribed by 'dyed in the wool' enthusiasts but is not an association as such. There are many similar UK based sites but Irish coverage appears to be limited.

Does anyone think that a more generalised railfan grouping would be a runner ? By this I mean enthusiasts who have an observational interest in all that goes on in the present Irish Rail system, and who enjoy the world of either spotting, photographing, tripping by train etc., without necessarily wanting to re-construct an old branch line or engage in restoring old engines.

What do other posters here think ? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Whatever you do don't call it the Irish Railfan's Association... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Niles wrote: »
    Whatever you do don't call it the Irish Railfan's Association... :D

Had crossed my mind ok ! No need to call it anything yet, just an idea for the time being. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Are you thinking along the lines of a web based group with real world meet-up every now and then?

Are you thinking along the lines of a web based group with real world meet-up every now and then?

Yes, and possibly with regular meet ups rather than every now and then. Train and Rail Systems would possibly be sufficient web-wise and it could, for example, be called 'Boardean Railfan Association'. However that is just a basic idea and only an opinion. Initially, I would like to find out if there is sufficient interest amongst the various enthusiasts here.

Then assuming there is sufficient interest find out what everyone's ideas are regarding the formation of an association, form a consensus and take it from there. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

BRA? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

corktina wrote: »
    Knew I could count on your 'support' :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I can just picture a load of Boardsies at the end of platform 5 at Connolly wearing official BRA bra's(high vis obviously,H&S first)!:pac:

On a serious note,good idea Steamengine. Problem these days in my eyes is that the Irish Railway scene isn't as interesting to many as it once was. Loco hauled services are limited to Cork & Belfast and some freight,semaphore signals are on their last legs in a handful of locations and railcars rule the roost on most other services.

lord lucan wrote: »
    I can just picture a load of Boardsies at the end of platform 5 at Connolly wearing official BRA bra's(high vis obviously,H&S first)!:pac:

On a serious note,good idea Steamengine. Problem these days in my eyes is that the Irish Railway scene isn't as interesting to many as it once was. Loco hauled services are limited to Cork & Belfast and some freight,semaphore signals are on their last legs in a handful of locations and railcars rule the roost on most other services.

Just have to change that to Boards Rail Enthusiast Association which should be fine:D I see your other point too, not really into railcars myself but one never knows what the future holds particularly regarding freight. I'm curious as to why the railcar gricer's association limited their activities to railcars - does anyone know why ? If they were to broaden their brief surely more enthusiasts would join up !

one can only hope that any assoc set up wont end up dominated by persons from the other island...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Just have to change that to Boards Rail Enthusiast Association which should be fine:D I see your other point too, not really into railcars myself but one never knows what the future holds particularly regarding freight. I'm curious as to why the railcar gricer's association limited their activities to railcars - does anyone know why ? If they were to broaden their brief surely more enthusiasts would join up !

I think the IRGA is more a web forum than an organisation as such, certainly not in the same vain as say, the IRRS or MRSI, anyone with a yuku account can join, just like Irish Railway Modeller, Irish Transport, etc. I think at the time the IRGA forum was set up it was more to stand out, at the time most attention being focused on locos. Personally as long as its an ICR and runs to time I'm not that bothered about such things.

• Advertisement

Niles wrote: »
    I think the IRGA is more a web forum than an organisation as such, certainly not in the same vain as say, the IRRS or MRSI, anyone with a yuku account can join, just like Irish Railway Modeller, Irish Transport, etc. I think at the time the IRGA forum was set up it was more to stand out, at the time most attention being focused on locos. Personally as long as its an ICR and runs to time I'm not that bothered about such things.

They do run occasional outings AFAICS and are more of a web forum as you say. Just looking at the input to T&RS and in particular how the photo thread has being enthusiastically subscribed to, prompted me to start this thread.

Basically to find out if occasionally for starters, posters might wish to engage collectively in, for example, some rail photography at a future date. Not necessarily photography either, in fact any railfan activity there might be a consensus for.

Does this type of group activity, call it spotting, gricing or whatever, already take place through any of the existing associations ? If not, I would envisage a group based out of T&RS.

I don't believe many get together to actively grice together. Many have met through forums like IRN and IRGA and become friends or knew each other from over the years gricing at Connolly and Heuston. A lot still do their own thing and turn out together for RPSI/MRSI/IRRS tours and have a few beers and swap stories. Easy to spot,either at the bar or if it's a loco run,in the coach behind the loco listening to a bit of GM thrash.

Personally i've little interest in photographing the current scene,it's pretty boring now. I only bring the camera out for heritage runs. Would be good if fellow boardsies could get together on a heritage run or organise a day out together to D&CDR/Cultra/Moyasta etc.

If its a day out we're talking, how about a WRC trip? we could count heads too whilst there!

I don't believe many get together to actively grice together. Many have met through forums like IRN and IRGA and become friends or knew each other from over the years gricing at Connolly and Heuston. A lot still do their own thing and turn out together for RPSI/MRSI/IRRS tours and have a few beers and swap stories. Easy to spot,either at the bar or if it's a loco run,in the coach behind the loco listening to a bit of GM thrash.

Personally i've little interest in photographing the current scene,it's pretty boring now. I only bring the camera out for heritage runs. Would be good if fellow boardsies could get together on a heritage run or organise a day out together to D&CDR/Cultra/Moyasta etc.

That sounds like a very good idea to me, I'd be up for any loco hauled trip ! :D
    If its a day out we're talking, how about a WRC trip? we could count heads too whilst there!

Not too sure about that one, might return politicised and railcar-ised !!! ;)

5mph over River Fergus bridge in a 2 car railcar in ICR colours would be enough to push me over the edge!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Don't count yourselves or Wot might accuse ye of deliberately doctoring the results:D

I don't believe many get together to actively grice together. Many have met through forums like IRN and IRGA and become friends or knew each other from over the years gricing at Connolly and Heuston..................

I would suggest that boardsies could indicate their intentions to be in a certain place around such and such a time, if they welcomed the possibility of some other railfan company. I intend to get out with the camera again shortly, possibly up to the Lady's Bridge near Skerries. I want to try and catch a pic of the morning Tara round 11 am or so, although this can be a hit and miss affair. :rolleyes: However the Enterprise can be depended upon around the same time plus loads of railcars. Any other boardsie railfan who wishes to join me is more than welcome, and may contact me via PM.

In the case of stations, there still seems to be an issue to being on a platform if you're not travelling. If a group were to grice at a particular station it would be nice to do it in within whatever rules apply. What is the situation regarding this ??? Recently at a certain station the guy in the ticket office mentioned 'contacting Huestion' to get permission. Does anyone know what this procedure is ??? Rather than complicate his life, I went to a road bridge instead.

I haven't hung around train stations in years with the exception of waiting for a heritage run train. Years ago i'd usually arrive by train and just walk around to wherever my favourite spot was to watch the movements. There was never an issue and no one really bothered you,often IE staff would come over and talk to you and shoot the breeze.

Anecdotally i've heard that since the security company came in some time back it's been a little more difficult. It can depend on who you get on the day tbh.I'd say the best bet would be to find an IE staff member at the barriers and ask nicely if it's alright to take a few pics and explain why you're there. Much like plane spotters,there's no harm being done or operations being interfered with.

when first over here years ago I caused amazement in Mallow by asking permission to be on the station..."shur" says himself "and dont forget to walk down to the old engine shed..." would it happen today? (apart from there being no old shed to walk to)

when first over here years ago I caused amazement in Mallow by asking permission to be on the station..."shur" says himself "and dont forget to walk down to the old engine shed..." would it happen today? (apart from there being no old shed to walk to)

It seems our old Irish way of doing things is slowly disappearing. You can't jump over ticket barriers either. Many moons ago at the end of steam, there was a clatter of old steam engines parked in a siding just short of Malahide station. Myself and a pal asked the Station master, could we go down to the engines and like you say he agreed, accompanied by a warning to keep a sharp look out for any other trains. Great afternoon on the various footplates - we had. :D
    All on their way to be chopped up for razor blades !!! :mad:

• Advertisement

which ones were they? do you rememebr?

which ones were they? do you rememebr?

It was around 1960, all black tender engines 0-6-0 or close to that wheel arrangement, that's the limit of my recall. Didn't really associate them as being GNR.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Don't count yourselves or Wot might accuse ye of deliberately doctoring the results:D

Creative addition or creative subtraction depending on which side of the track you're on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Ah the good old days, they sure were. I can remember the times when you'd walk up the train and into the guards van and he'd be delighted for the company for a while :)

As somebody who works for both DCDR and the RPSI on working trains, the H+S issues are a bastard to deal with for 95% of the time as they hinder a lot of common sense stuff, both operationally and for the careful photographer/gricer who wants to get a few good snaps. The other 5% of the time is a different story however and it's the 5% who make the hard line position the only option. The likes of the eejit who wants to climb up signal posts, a gob****e who can't on why he can't set up his tripod on running track or the sort who would use carriage keys to get into cabs; this is a tip of some of the stuff that has it ruined for the most of us at both ends of the railway.

Only a month ago I was on an RPSI trip that has arrived into Connolly and as the set was hauled from the platform to clear it for an incoming DART which was pulling in, a guy hopped from platforms 5 to 6 to, in his words, "get an application form to join":eek: Sadly, he is the sort of reckless twat that makes the at times OTT rules very very essential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

How about Irish Bus & Greenway appreciation society ;)

ah your sarcasm does you no credit. You should understand that many of us on here are ardent railway enthusiasts and yet oppose crack pot schemes like the WRC AND can see merit in express buses and greenways.

eth0 wrote: »
    How about Irish Bus & Greenway appreciation society ;)

Why not indeed, but a thread entitled 'Railfan' Association is hardly the place :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

Unfortunately, the railfan/rail buff/trainspotter (hate the last term!) fraternity or whatever you like to call it seems to have a higher percentage of fruitbats than most other walks of life, present company excluded I'm sure.

dmcronin wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the railfan/rail buff/trainspotter (hate the last term!) fraternity or whatever you like to call it seems to have a higher percentage of fruitbats than most other walks of life, present company excluded I'm sure.

Same here. Always seems to be used in a derogatory sense. :(

• Advertisement

Karsini wrote: »
    Same here. Always seems to be used in a derogatory sense. :(

+1........I think 'gricer' sounds better, even more so than railfan. ;)

Advertisement