Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was I ripped off with my website?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Well, it's 60 per hour where I work.
    Do you work in the Phillipines? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

People actually still pay per hour in this day and age?

How many coffee breaks, chats with people in the corridor, answering emails, answering phone calls, answering quiries from colleagues etc etc is built into this 60euro an hour rate?

Some Flash Designer started throwing around figures one time on another website and it got heated.....my point is per hour was fine during "Celtic tiger" (how I hate that term) but I would never get a job done based on a per hour quote.

Estimate how long it will take you and if your skills are good in that you can bring it in on time then grand.....if not too bad....I will go with someone else.

I charge people for websites per job....it is up to me to work faster if I need to build in a complex add on......end of story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

How many coffee breaks, chats with people in the corridor, answering emails, answering phone calls, answering quiries from colleagues etc etc is built into this 60euro an hour rate?

Some Flash Designer started throwing around figures one time on another website and it got heated.....my point is per hour was fine during "Celtic tiger" (how I hate that term) but I would never get a job done based on a per hour quote.

Estimate how long it will take you and if your skills are good in that you can bring it in on time then grand.....if not too bad....I will go with someone else.

I charge people for websites per job....it is up to me to work faster if I need to build in a complex add on......end of story.

I think most freelancers and agencies charge per job - based on a predetermined hourly rate. As opposed to being paid by the hour until the job is complete.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

As above, you estimate how long a job will take, divide days into hours, multiply the hours by an hourly rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Yea, nothing could possibly go wrong with that approach. There would never be a problem with a client changing scope, or adding extra work, or anything like that.

It's not b&w. Many clients actually want a service, and wan't the best work, and don't want you to down tools just because you're out of budget. Many type of projects, or services within a project, warrant payment by the hour, and it can benefit everyone in those circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

p wrote: »
    Yea, nothing could possibly go wrong with that approach. There would never be a problem with a client changing scope, or adding extra work, or anything like that.

It's not uncommon. If you know what you're doing you can manage it quite easily. Your project agreement should outline the scope of work to be done and, if there's any scope creep or additional work, it's charged for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

They should add "eCommerce Solutions and Scope Creep" to "Death & Taxes"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Do you work in the Phillipines?

The question is is he a FREELANCER in the philippines ... I'm living here/there at the moment and GOOD local firms do charge about $60 p/h and thats for development to local firms - if they are doing dev work for overseas clients I've seen much much higher.

Even the decent freelance dev's graphic designers worth their salt doing b2b sites are commanding rates around the $15-30 mark on average .. the ones charging any lower generally don't have a freaking clue what they are doing and the job will go on three times as long anyhow while they "figure things out".

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Jennyrose

OP come back! Come back!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

We always try to work on a fixed fee basis if possible - but always let the client know that anything outside the scope of the original project would have to be priced individually.

In many cases, we go well beyond what was originally agreed as that's the nature of the business.

To the OP - my opinion is that you were badly let down on the customer service side of things. I wouldn't necessarily say you were ripped off, but you certainly didn't get a good deal.

Unfortunately web designers are notorious for this sort of behaviour - all I can say to that is go with a trusted company that you can get references from your friends that have actually paid them to do work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement