Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orange Lodges in the South

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

86% of the population according to the 2006 census was Roman Catholic. The rest was mainly Church of Ireland, Presbyterian, Methodist, Muslim and other Protestant religions. In the last few census(sp?) the percentage of catholics has been falling and the number of Protestants rising in the Republic. So in the results of the latest census published soon I would expect the same trend.

Having said that the vast majority of Protestants in the South feel nothing for the Orange Order I think except for some in the border areas possibly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

http://www.cso.ie/census/census2006results/volume_13/tables-1-10.pdf

With regard to The Cork Orange Lodge I think I read years ago that it doesnt meet as there arent enough members.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,982 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Think the 26 counties is 5% or so Protestant, there is plenty of Churches for them.

I think that many of the CofI churches have met the same fate as the Listowel one.

http://stjohnstheatrelistowel.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I think that many of the CofI churches have met the same fate as the Listowel one.

http://stjohnstheatrelistowel.com/

Extinction beckons but it will be a while yet. There are four churches in my local parish and only a handful of church attending parishioners. Christenings, Weddings, Funerals, the Harvest Thanksgiving and that's about it. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

I am not big into religon and the differences I am talking about are specifically in relation to the outlook of people. There is a big difference as I see it in the identity of the Presbyterians and free presbyterians. This includes their attitude to the orange order and is based on opinions I have been given first hand by people in the area.

Well i don't know any free presbyterians they are a rarity, but i'm pretty sure by the sounds of things they'd be quite bitter and staunch obviously.

• Advertisement

86% of the population according to the 2006 census was Roman Catholic. The rest was mainly Church of Ireland, Presbyterian, Methodist, Muslim and other Protestant religions. In the last few census(sp?) the percentage of catholics has been falling and the number of Protestants rising in the Republic. So in the results of the latest census published soon I would expect the same trend.

Having said that the vast majority of Protestants in the South feel nothing for the Orange Order I think except for some in the border areas possibly

This will be interesting how fast are the protestant religions growing? I know from even reading on here recently alot of folk have been converting. When is the data released.? Still waiting on the ni one aswell, it'll also be interesting to see how the catholic birth rate is going.

Think the 26 counties is 5% or so Protestant, there is plenty of Churches for them.

I wouldn't class 5% as plenty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

FinnLizzy wrote: »
    And with the Love Ulster riots of 2006, it just shows that even the slightest openly loyal event can warrant a huge riot.

Slightest openly loyal event? How about deliberately provocative and blithely sectarian?

A love Ulster parade?

More like a 'love the type of people who would like to walk through every Nationalist estate in NI unimpeded' parade.

One of love Ulster's main organisers was Willie Fraizer who believed that loyalist murderers should not have been sent to prison in the first place and who also had a soft spot for that evil civilian murdering degenerate Billy Wright.

Love Ulster indeed.

Slightest openly loyal event? How about deliberately provocative and blithely sectarian?

A love Ulster parade?

More like a 'love the type of people who would like to walk through every Nationalist estate in NI unimpeded' parade.

One of love Ulster's main organisers was Willie Fraizer who believed that loyalist murderers should not have been sent to prison in the first place and who also had a soft spot for that evil civilian murdering degenerate Billy Wright.

Love Ulster indeed.

Exactly i'm convince they deliberately go out to wind up catholics. My dad was in the police and thats what he reckons. For example, rasharkin, what reason have they got to go through there? None its obvious they are out to wind up. I can't wait to the days that that organisation no longer exists.

Extinction beckons but it will be a while yet. There are four churches in my local parish and only a handful of church attending parishioners. Christenings, Weddings, Funerals, the Harvest Thanksgiving and that's about it. :D

It won't be long before the RC churches become tourist information offices as well.:D

• Advertisement

It won't be long before the RC churches become tourist information offices as well.:D

The more the better.

The more the better.

Things seem to be a lot less significant than they used to be. I wonder if the Orange Lodges in the North are dwindling along with everything else, or whether they're maintaining their numbers.

I wonder if the Orange Lodges in the North are dwindling along with everything else, or whether they're maintaining their numbers.
    The Orange Order has blamed an increase in secularism for a sharp decline in its membership in Northern Ireland.

Grand Secretary Drew Nelson said its Christian ethos was one reason behind its membership falling from 76,500 in 1948 to about 35,700 currently.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/8126543.stm

I think increasing secularism will be good for young people in NI. Hopefully they'll grow up seeing that they're not all that different to each other.

Things seem to be a lot less significant than they used to be. I wonder if the Orange Lodges in the North are dwindling along with everything else, or whether they're maintaining their numbers.

I don't know if the halls are declining but I know that the numbers are decreasing any wonder the bands aren't the same as 100 years ago when it wasn't sectarian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 isthatit

whats the point in having a parade to commerate a 400 year old war victory if you cant go and rub the losers nose in it

owenc wrote: »
    I don't know if the halls are declining but I know that the numbers are decreasing any wonder the bands aren't the same as 100 years ago when it wasn't sectarian

The Orange Order wasn't sectarian a hundred years ago - that's a new one on me. :confused:

No it wasn't there wasn't any of them bonfires or riots either it was just like a scouts club to Catholics anyway it's not the same why do you think everyones leaving it

No it wasn't there wasn't any of them bonfires or riots either it was just like a scouts club to Catholics anyway it's not the same why do you think everyones leaving it

Protestant emigration from Northern Ireland, apathy towards the past, growth of the middle classes, better opportunities for young people of all communities...no links just thoughts and once again we're way off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Lol are you foreal apparently only 25percent is protestant that's quite sad really there's nowhere for Protestants down south it seems

Owenc there isnt a place for protestents or catholics down south really. There isnt the culteral tension that existed in some parts of the north. There is plenty of anglican parishs down south aright.

Yeah most of the time you don't have a bloody clue, or care, what religion people are down here because it's not really an issue.

I think the non-Catholic Christian population has been energised in more recent times though (in the cities anyway).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Yeah most of the time you don't have a bloody clue, or care, what religion people are down here because it's not really an issue.

I think the non-Catholic Christian population has been energised in more recent times though (in the cities anyway).

I would say that it is getting that way, but it isn't there quite yet. There are plenty of people who see being a non catholic as an issue.

My mother in law has now stopped pointing out protestants to me to make me feel better, but it did get quite embarrassing at times. I think a previous posting stating that there were plenty of Church for "Them" demonstrates that there is still a feeling with a lot if people that you have to be Catholic to be Irish.

Its a bit like Dara O'Briain says, "I'm not religious, I don't believe in god and I have no need for god in my life, but I think like a Catholic".

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

A love Ulster parade?

Love Ulster indeed.

Provocative is what they do best, it's nothing new to the Orange Order. By slightest, I meant that the parade wasn't that big at all, in comparison to the riots.
    Regardless of who was behind it, they had the right to do so. The rioters had no right to destroy property, belonging to their own countrymen.

FinnLizzy wrote: »
    Regardless of who was behind it, they had the right to do so. The rioters had no right to destroy property, belonging to their own countrymen.

See Realpolitik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

I would say that it is getting that way, but it isn't there quite yet. There are plenty of people who see being a non catholic as an issue.

My mother in law has now stopped pointing out protestants to me to make me feel better, but it did get quite embarrassing at times. I think a previous posting stating that there were plenty of Church for "Them" demonstrates that there is still a feeling with a lot if people that you have to be Catholic to be Irish.

Its a bit like Dara O'Briain says, "I'm not religious, I don't believe in god and I have no need for god in my life, but I think like a Catholic".

It shows what a dominant force the Catholic Church has been in this country,both in terms of cultural influence and sheer numbers. Even when I hear people talk about "the Church", you know that there is really only one church they could be referring to!

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    It shows what a dominant force the Catholic Church has been in this country,both in terms of cultural influence and sheer numbers. Even when I hear people talk about "the Church", you know that there is really only one church they could be referring to!

Something went wrong along the way. The catholic church and the celtic catholic church with some more pagan traditions were in some ways a seperate church. Some of the strange designs on our early stone crosses could have been influenced by egyptian design irish priests on pilgrim brought back here.

The celts had some fine ideal to aspire to, divorce for women, more rights for women and probraly a lot less abuse!

Benny_Cake wrote: »

Well thankfully, their numbers are receding, and i'm not saying that to be a biogt i'm just sick of them controlling everything. Anyway, they would never have got to their levels if it weren't for ne temera.

Well thankfully, their numbers are receding, and i'm not saying that to be a biogt i'm just sick of them controlling everything. Anyway, they would never have got to their levels if it weren't for ne temera.

That ne temera is an absolute joke how dare the church tell people how to raise their children.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    That ne temera is an absolute joke how dare the church tell people how to raise their children.

Exactly who the frig do they think they are! They know everyones leaving aswell so now they have decided that folk can't leave. :rolleyes: Thats quite sad of them to do, and its making them look like even more a fool and its giving the message out even more of how controlling they are. My mother is Catholic, and it seems that everything is beat into her from her family and their is no freethinking i wish she would leave that organisation, but no. :rolleyes: She can't see through it. I hope the next census shows dramatic changes.

My mother is Catholic, and it seems that everything is beat into her from her family and their is no freethinking i wish she would leave that organisation, but no. She can't see through it.

If she's a NI Catholic your Mum's reluctance to leave wouldn't be so much about her love of the RCC as it would her affinity with her 'tribe' IYKWIM. She may also fear being ostracized by her RC friends and family which wouldn't be unusual.

It's a little more complicated up there.

• Advertisement

Exactly who the frig do they think they are! They know everyones leaving aswell so now they have decided that folk can't leave. :rolleyes: Thats quite sad of them to do, and its making them look like even more a fool and its giving the message out even more of how controlling they are. My mother is Catholic, and it seems that everything is beat into her from her family and their is no freethinking i wish she would leave that organisation, but no. :rolleyes: She can't see through it. I hope the next census shows dramatic changes.

I hope so myself by the way my original post might of read as being sarcastic but no I think the church should be ashamed to try and dictate peoples basic human rights.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement