Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xoro DTV-M5 Digital TV Receiver

Options
  • 11-10-2011 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Not Saorview certified, but has MHEG-5 and seems to tick all the boxes. Half the price of certified boxes and well know German brand. Lots of good info and video on this website.

http://www.tvtrade.ie/digital-tv.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

This from the website
    Subtitles: Yes
    New subtitles to be delivered over Mheg5 so your box is future proofed

Don't think this is correct, no plans that I know of to deliver subtitles via MHEG-5. EBU and DVB subtitling are part of the minimum receiver spec. Digital aertel p888 doesn't give access to subtitles and recommends selecting subtitles via the subtitle button on the r/c or via the menu.

The website doen't mention if it decodes regular EBU teletext carried on TV3/3e and TG4.

The only reference to MHEG-5 and subtitles in the spec is
    If the selected service includes both subtitling (EBU Subtitling and/or DVB subtitling) along with a MHEG5 application, the IRD shall (according with its user preference settings) at least decode and display the subtitle whenever the user has not entered the MHEG5 application and after the user have left the MHEG5 application.

It is recommended that the IRD supports continued displaying of the subtitle after it has entered the MHEG5 application, (in that case MHEG5 application OSD shall be on top of video and subtitling).

On a separate note in relation to the last quote, a Walker approved TV I've used requires subtitles to be switched off before you can access MHEG-5 digital text.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Peddyr wrote: »
    Not Saorview certified, but has MHEG-5 and seems to tick all the boxes. Half the price of certified boxes and well know German brand. Lots of good info and video on this website.

http://www.tvtrade.ie/digital-tv.html

€67.46 including vat and delivery for a non Saorview approved receiver

compared to

€64.95 for a Saorview approved receiver http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-23-DI1180&brands=&accessories=1. which is not double the Price.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Peddyr

scaller wrote: »
    €67.46 including vat and delivery for a non Saorview approved receiver

compared to

€64.95 for a Saorview approved receiver http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-23-DI1180&brands=&accessories=1. which is not double the Price.

Fair play. I have seen Walker STBs at E99 and on Ebay for E110 tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

The Cush wrote: »
    On a separate note in relation to the last quote, a Walker approved TV I've used requires subtitles to be switched off before you can access MHEG-5 digital text.

Is this a standard issue actually, my Philips Telly wont let me access the digital text when subtitles are on. Not a big deal, I suppose even on analogue text if you were on 888 you couldn't access other text pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

saorview receivers are available from 50 euro in argos. and around 60 in currys 64 isnt a good price at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

shblob wrote: »
    saorview receivers are available from 50 euro in argos. and around 60 in currys 64 isnt a good price at all.

€64 including delivery. or €59.95 in-store http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-23-DI1180&brands=&accessories=1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Looks exactly the same as the tower electronics HD1700 I talked about here before and has the same software as that of the triax TR112 and also has exactly the same as the tower box as well.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

steveon wrote: »
    Looks exactly the same as the tower electronics HD1700 I talked about here before and has the same software as that of the triax TR112 and also has exactly the same as the tower box as well.
    Hah, was gonna mention the same.

Identical to the Tower alright. Seems grand from the limited time I've tested it (the Tower that is).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Ya I've tried and tested a few of the towers and had no problems, only signifcant difference is the remote which is smaller and not as nice as the triax one but per €€€euro value think the tower/zoro is definetly looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

shblob wrote: »

Argos have been out of stock for the past week. Perhaps an improved box on the way, or a big price increase. or even both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Argos have been out of stock for the past week. Perhaps an improved box on the way, or a big price increase. or even both.

Don't hold your breath:mad:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056419086

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Daithi McNulty

Discovered a bug with this box.It can't handle files over 3.9 gb

Have this receiver connected to a KDL-40BX400 Sony Bravia tv via hdmi cable.
    Reception : Strength 50%,Quality 94-96%
    Using a fat32 formatted 320gb Intenso hard drive(as tested and recommended by tvtrade.ie),48gb used.
    PVR config/file size:4G (Same result when set to "Auto")
    Video resolution:1080p_50

Recorded a Champions lge programme on TV3 recently.Manually started and stopped a recording from 19.30 - 22.30.The recording was split in to 2 parts.
    1st part - 2hrs 51ms,size 3.9 gb.No picture.It has sound but there's a constant glitchy noise added.When you try to forward scan and press play,a message pops up "Sorry,error happened".
    2nd part - 8ms size 195mb,resolution:544 x576.This file has normal picture and sound.

This has also happened with recordings over 3.9 gb on 3e and RTE2.

Does anyone else have this problem with their box?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

FAT32 file system can't handle files bigger than 4Gb so all devices must split them.

I'm aware that the fat32 file system splits files over 4gb's.

You've overlooked the bug i was referring to :
    Recorded a Champions lge programme on TV3 recently.Manually started and stopped a recording from 19.30 - 22.30.The recording was split in to 2 parts.
    1st part - 2hrs 51ms,size 3.9 gb.No picture.It has sound but there's a constant glitchy noise added.When you try to forward scan and press play,a message pops up "Sorry,error happened".
    2nd part - 8ms size 195mb,resolution:544 x576.This file has normal picture and sound.

Can somebody who owns one of these receivers do a test recording that's over 4gb's please? (Connected to a fat32 formatted hard drive/memory stick)
    I'd like to know if this is a common problem with these box's or if it's just mine.

Still waiting on somebody to do a test recording on this receiver.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

I'll try doing one today for you.

Same problem occurred on mine.

Formatted a brand new 8GB USB stick on my PC as FAT32,
    Recorded RTE2 HD to it for a few hours.
    Total recorded about 7.5GB

Result: 3 files.
    File 1 = 3.9GB
    File 2 = 3.21GB
    File 3 = 341.49MB

File 1 and File 2 are muffled audio only - and gave the error when I fastforwarded.

File 3 is fine.

So some kind of firmware issue with the box then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Cesium Clock

Have you tried NTfs formatting

SalteeDog wrote: »
    Same problem occurred on mine.

Formatted a brand new 8GB USB stick on my PC as FAT32,
    Recorded RTE2 HD to it for a few hours.
    Total recorded about 7.5GB

Result: 3 files.
    File 1 = 3.9GB
    File 2 = 3.21GB
    File 3 = 341.49MB

File 1 and File 2 are muffled audio only - and gave the error when I fastforwarded.

File 3 is fine.

So some kind of firmware issue with the box then.

Thanks for that.

So i'm not alone with this issue.Seen nothing but good reviews for this box.I'm surprised nobody else made people aware of this.

With the 1st receiver i purchased,i was using a 500gb western digital hard drive formatted with ntfs.It worked fine til it got to 90gb's used and then it started stopping recordings or not recording epg recordings at all.
    At this point i wasn't sure if it was the ntfs format causing this.
    Eventually the receiver kept turning itself on and off again to the point of being unusable.Faulty box.
    So with the replacement box i decided to go with the recommended 320gb hard drive formatted in fat32.

Has anyone had problems using the ntfs format?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Does anybody know if this Xoro DTV-M5 can pick up Freeview or Freeview HD channels ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

It will work with standard def. Freeview, not the DVB-T2 HD.

Ok,so i'm now having trouble with the hard drive i'm using with this receiver.:(

I bought a new portable Intenso 320gb hdd from Amazon.co.uk a couple of months ago.For the past month or so it has started beeping the odd time,disconnecting and reconnecting,failed epg recordings and thus is very unreliable.

I usually have to pull out the the usb cable and put it back in again a few times before it's stable again.Then when i press record,a message pops up - "The device speed is too slow,record anyway?".I select "Yes" and it seems to record fine.

So i can either get a replacement from Amazon or get a refund and buy a different brand(not confirmed).To save myself future hassle(This will be my 3rd hdd purchase for this receiver),i would like to know :

What brand and size hard drive owners of this receiver are using successfully?

Thanks

Considering this is the 3rd HDD you've used would that not indicate there's a problem with the box?

I've only ever used USB sticks on this. I've used both 4GB and 8GB successfully - cannot recall the brands but they were nothing special. I do recall both giving the device speed error but pressing 'yes' always allowed the record to proceed without problem. The box has been relegated to my guest bedroom so I don't use it too often.

Compton wrote: »
    Considering this is the 3rd HDD you've used would that not indicate there's a problem with the box?

My 1st purchase of this receiver turned out to be a faulty box.I bought a portable 500gb Western Digital hdd to use with it.I couldn't rule out whether there was a power issue in using that size hdd with the receiver.

Having watched a video review of this receiver on TV Trade.ie,they recommended using a portable Intenso 320gb hdd.
    So i decided not to chance using the 500gb hdd with my replacement receiver and got the Intenso hdd tested by TV Trade.ie to work well with this box.

I haven't seen any complaints of problems using smaller hdd's from other owners of this receiver so i'm assuming there isn't a problem with the receiver build.

Need more feedback from other owners like SalteeDog to purchase another hdd with confidence.

Unfortunately the only HDD I have is a 250GB Toshiba which uses 2 x USB connectors for power (I don't have a separate power supply for it) - as such it's unlikely to work properly with the Xoro as it stands.

SalteeDog wrote: »
    Unfortunately the only HDD I have is a 250GB Toshiba which uses 2 x USB connectors for power (I don't have a separate power supply for it) - as such it's unlikely to work properly with the Xoro as it stands.

Well the Intenso hard drive i'm currently using also has that"Y" type usb cable.

I'm guessing all portable hdd's that are 320 gb's and under are supplied with this type cable,but i'll search for one without which would suggest it doesn't require as much power.
    Hdd's with an external power supply can't be used with this receiver anyways.

Why not?

• Advertisement

I believe the Seagate portable HDDs use only a single port.

Amazon.com link here.

Advertisement