Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its about time - IMAT12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Savage spin,
    and thanks for the Gap, what a joy it is to climb :(

Did I meet ye yesterday near the top of GallowsHill?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

BennyMul wrote: »
    Savage spin,
    and thanks for the Gap, what a joy it is to climb :(

Did I meet ye yesterday near the top of GallowsHill?

Yes - I didn't recognise you in all the gear. That's gas because Mr Alps had just advised me to pull into the left in case anyone came down the hill as I was riding beside him on the RHS of the road. About 10 seconds later you appeared! It would not have been funny to 'bump' into each other like that :D. Nice day for the Gap - you should try it in the wet and into the wind! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Wheres the gap?

Wheres the gap?

It should be 'mind the gap' :) but here's Benny's link http://connect.garmin.com/activity/187740133

Its between Broadford and Killaloe. You turn left where signposted to Kilbane and there's a short steep section past the Church in Kilbane, straight across the junction there and it rises steady to the trees and the top. The shorter descent has a tight shocking steep hairpin bend on it half way down and dodgy surface as well. Its also a problem when you meet a car coming up it at the same time! If you continue straight at the next junction that has a church and left at the next T you're on the road that brings you down past Planet-Tri into Killaloe.

RedB wrote: »
    there's a short steep section

wow I must have been dying yesterday, as it felt like a long, very long steep section :D

• Advertisement

BennyMul wrote: »
    wow I must have been dying yesterday, as it felt like a long, very long steep section :D

What, that little old drag?!:D :P

Ya, its a good test - I was referring to the short tasty hop past the Church :)

aghhhh that pimple, didnt notice it to be honest.

I did think it was you and shouted hi but had gone past and was not sure if you heard me, you seem well set for Austria at this rate the bike will be a piece of cake, a few roads with a nice surface and you will motor.

Mon 11/06/12 cold Open Water Swim

Missed my slot for a run but out to Worlds End for a club OW session. They were heading off as I was getting in so straight into it and managed to catch up with a small group and pass them. I was following way off one guy then until we got to the Trees and he turned back. I kept going in the hope of seeing MCOS's power lines milestone at some stage but no joy and no sign of anyone else. I was getting cold on the way back and spotted another guy catching me so I was glad I wasn't on my own as we made it back together but I was perished with the cold and shivering like mad :(. Back to the car and tried to change as quick as possible and get home where I eventually warmed up. Happy with the duration but not the cold.
    0:57, 2.4km?

Tues 12/06/12 pm hot 100rpm Turbo

Travelled to Wexford with work but met Oryx after for a coffee and an exchange of gear / supplies :rolleyes:

It was 10pm by the time I got on the Turbo as I had to sort my puncture from Sun and ended up putting on a new latex tube and Conti race tyre while at it. Had planned a longer session but was interupted twice by a phone call from the Mother re one of her prodigal sons and a child with a nighmare who probably will have many more after coming in to me as I was spinning and sweating like a mad thing in my winter gear complete with rain jacket with hood up :). Tried visualising how cold I was the previous evening in the effort to compensate for the heat :p. I probably need to do a lot more of this pronto as its nearly show time.
    0:45

Wed 13/06/12 am Swim and lunchtime Run

500m WU
    10x50m Drills
    10 x 100m off 2:30-3:00 (Traffic in lane)

12.75km, 1:05:14, 5:07/km with 2 x 6min hard on 0:10 (4:22/km, 4:10/km - could only last 5min on 2nd :o)

Not sure how to taper properly now as I'll be camping again with the cubs at the weekend so will probably miss my long bike session there anyway. Must figure that out rapid too :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

I'm in the same boat - missed a load of crucial sessions in the last week that I really needed to do. Panic time

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Calm down lads. Que sera sera and all that. Both of you are stronger than me to start with. You'll do mighty.

• Advertisement

handangeo wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat - missed a load of crucial sessions in the last week that I really needed to do. Panic time

A nugget I try to remember at times like this is "You panic, you die, you don't panic, you die, its probably better not to panic" :rolleyes:. Deep breaths and that'll make it better :D

Not much we can do now anyway ;)

We all going to meet up on the Friday or Saturday for a swim or a long bike ? ;)

We all going to meet up on the Friday or Saturday for a swim or a long bike ? ;)

I think I could manage a swim on the Sat :). On Friday I think I'll be trying to weld my bike back together after taking a hacksaw to it getting it into a bikebox ;) plus checking out the bike route with the family

I dont get there till the friday. Save me a sun lounger!

I think I could manage a swim on the Sat :). On Friday I think I'll be trying to weld my bike back together after taking a hacksaw to it getting it into a bikebox ;) plus checking out the bike route with the family

Can I borrow the welder when your finished with it so!

Thurs 14/6/12 am Swim

500m WU
    10X50m drills
    7 x 200m off 4:30
    100m WD

Happy with that as I had to work to make the repeats. Generally in on 4:15. New togs as embarassed the kids last Sat with my worn out older pair :rolleyes:.

Under pressure now re long run/cyle that I see Oryx's ongoing heroic efforts to get them done :). Legend :eek:

Under pressure now re long run/cyle that I see Oryx's ongoing heroic efforts to get them done :). Legend :eek:

+ 1

There was nothing heroic about it. :) Good swim there, nothing wrong with your efforts at all! And pressure is only for car tyres and steam engines. ;)

Had intended a Turbo session last eve but due to gathering storm clouds the Turbo was put back in the shed and some family time had instead. The brownie points are well and truely gone at this stage and I'm up there with Greece, Spain, etc in terms of the debt mountain and restricted credit facilities. I won't miss that part of the IM journey at all as its simply not fair on the family to be puting such an extended load on them, especially the OH who's mostly carrying the can night and day with the odd break. I don't have a big base to work from so I'm conscious of missing sessions and try to squeeze as many as I can in but long ride bricks or double w'end sessions are just a definite no no. With kids stuff on during lots of evenings over the last 2 months its getting harder to pass on the rare opportunity of just sitting down for an hour or two. Part of the experience is learning the mental toughness to keep on going even when you're very tired and feel like stopping but that also results in a selfishness of sorts where you put the training ahead of your feelings and by extension ahead of others' feelings :(. Yikes, getting heavy now :). Its Friday, its taper time, its time to go for a swim :rolleyes:

Fri 15/06/12 lunchtime run
    12.76km, 1:02:05, 4:52/km with 3 x 6min hard on 0:10 (4:23/km, 4:13/km, 4:12/km with tailwind ;))
    Happy with this as I felt refreshed :rolleyes: and 'connected' to the road from the start compared to Wed's sluggish run. Cruised.

Had intended a Turbo session last eve but due to gathering storm clouds the Turbo was put back in the shed and some family time had instead. The brownie points are well and truely gone at this stage and I'm up there with Greece, Spain, etc in terms of the debt mountain and restricted credit facilities

Even the combined force of the IMF, US Federal Reserve, George Soros and Warren Buffett couldn't bail me out at this stage :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

500m wu
    10 x 50m drills
    5 x 400m off 10min, last 2 off 9:30, in on 9-9:20

Didn't get to do anything Sat/Sun as had the Cubs camping down in Castlegregory from early Sat and back for the local GAA family fun day on Sun afternoon and then hooked up with 2 brothers home from Oz and the UK. I'd contemplated squeezing the bike in and hitting the Conor Pass again but the car was jammers with tents, etc so no luck there. Broken sleep Sat night whilst supervising the Cubs also meant any thoughts of a long run were fleeting as it was like herding cats at a crossroad. Our bikes have to be dropped off this Fri for transport too so will have very little opportunity to get another long cycle in :o. Time to do a bit of last minute cramming :rolleyes:

Mon 18/06/12 am LSR
    22.25km, 2:04:31, 5:35/km
    Full winter gear run with thermal and reg running leggings, base layer, long sleeve cotton running top, bike jacket and hat. Was toasty but thought it'd be worse. Cool mild weather probably not helping heat acclimitisation efforts. The forecast is 31Deg and I'm not a big heat fan so dealing with the heat will be a significant factor.

Club OW session planned for this evening

Mon 18/6/12 (cont'd) pm OW swim
    Approx 3.2km, 1:11
    Happy with this as I finally made it to a milestone - literally :D. Overhead electricity wires are approx 1mile from Worlds End according to MCOS and I really wanted to tick that box during this session because it was my last big OW swim (wetsuit going into the bike box for transport on Fri :eek:) and I probably won't be back in this swim distance territory in the near future (if ever! :rolleyes:). It was raining when I arrived but there was about 10 bodies planning on various distances and speeds. Saw MCOS's group getting ready and figured they'd be passing me anyway so I headed off first with another guy. Sure enough, they went by at some stage and the other guy turned so I was plodding along on my own for most of it. I seemed to be going for ages but resolved to get to those wires if it took all night :p Met MCOS's group on their way back as they nicely enquired if I was going much further on my own but at that stage the wires were in sight so no worries. Turned on 34:xx and headed for home happily but it was a bit of struggle for most of it :o. Multiple cramps in both calfs and quads locked me up on several occasions and I felt a bit numb with the cold and onset of fatigue. Form was gone out the window and sighting was off at times also as I drifted towards the side but there were boating crews out so I was more mindful of them. Glad to get to the end and took a few minutes to be able to stand up and get out as I was a bit all over the place :(. The evening had turned nice by then and. while shivering a good bit, I wasn't feeling as bad as last week. The IMAT swim has 2.8km in the lake (1230m out, 470m across, 1100m back) and 1km in a canal and I reckon I'll be ok once I make it to the canal as there's a bit of a 'current' with all the swimmers in it although that might have lessened by the time I get there :rolleyes:. Plus I might be able to get some drafting. I probably should be doing this kind of swim easy and often but we are where we are ;). Doing it once without taking too much out of me will suffice right now.

Tues 19/6/12 am Swim
    Spent the rest of yesterday evening going through the logistics of our trip with MrsB so didn't plan ahead very much. Probably should have gone for a run or cycle but looking at the rest of the week it made sense to opt for a swim.
    500m WU
    10 X 50m Drills
    Felt a twinge in my left upper arm on the last drill and thought about it before starting the main set. Thought about it some more and got out :o. Went for 30min Sauna instead for more heat acclimitisation :rolleyes:

Went for 30min Sauna instead for more heat acclimitisation :rolleyes:

I managed 5 mins tops :eek:

I managed 5 mins tops :eek:

They must have only just turned it on because I didn't find it that hot actually. More like a warm day with a jumper on :). The steam room was out of order so it was the lukewarm Sauna or nothing :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Jesus a half hour in a Sauna... how is it that acclimatisation if you are sitting still?

Well done on the swim RedB. you looked a bit wrecked after it alright but good to tick that box eh ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Bring your turbo into the Sauna and give me 2x20 @ threshold. Good man:)

Jesus a half hour in a Sauna... how is it that acclimatisation if you are sitting still?

Well done on the swim RedB. you looked a bit wrecked after it alright but good to tick that box eh ;)
    Bring your turbo into the Sauna and give me 2x20 @ threshold. Good man:)

+1

I know, its fairly lame but its got to be better than nothing :D

Tues 19/06/12 (cont'd) pm Brick session
    31.2km bike, 1:01?, 30.7kph?
    5km run, 0:24:30?,4:54/km?
    Return trip to Birdhill and short run off the bike, all in winter gear but little impact as it was cool enough anyway :rolleyes:. Lots of cyclists out.

Wed 20/06/12 am Bike with hills
    54.8km, 2:17:57, 23.8kph, 771m ascending, Max speed 61.1kph
    Up the slightly steeper Woodcock Hill road and over Gallows Hill on my own, fast descent into Sixmilebridge and back up most of it before coming down to Watch House Cross and home. The body felt fairly flat with a bit of lower back pain :confused: Still have the twinge in my left arm so I'll be minding that too. I'll be traveling a bit later in the week and busy at the weekend so I'm squeezing as much in as I can before a natural taper break comes then.

• Advertisement

Thurs 22/06/12 pm Swim

Also travel to Clonmel with work.

500m WU
    10 x 50m Drills
    2 :eek: x 100m off 2:30 before being thrown out of the pool early as they had to prep for a competition :(
    Hit the Sauna again for 30min before being thrown out of that too :rolleyes:

The main point of the day though was getting my bike serviced and boxed by TriBikes as it had to be dropped off before 6pm today (Fri) and I'm working in Dublin today. The club are transporting a van load over the weekend and HOTW is on Sat hence the Fri deadline. The result was I ended up throwing into the box as much as I had handy to avoid carrying it when we fly next week. So, in went the wetsuit, bike shoes, track pump, bento box and nutrition, aero + reg bottles, Garmin mount and most importantly, for the family who'll be supporting me, a rug and small picnic basket!:D I also picked up a multitool and CO2 both of which I have no experience of using :). I'm going to have to put the bike back together and break it down again afterwards for reboxing in Austria so the multitool allen keys will get some use. I'll have to check out the chain and spoke tool parts of it for the race though as I haven't a clue what's involved with it. I didn't get a chance to clean the bike and especially the chain/gears so I'll have to do something there yet unless the service sorted it (didn't check). I kept my helmet as I hope to get in a few spins on my old bike and shoes in the next week.
    One thing I'm concerned about is the aero drag associated with the bike items. I'll be going with an aero bottle and std one on the down tube. I'll have a small bento box on the top tube. I'm debating about packing my spare tubes, tool, CO2 into a butchered bottle on the seat tube or have them in my big saddle bag that looks like this but hangs down 2-3 inches and sways :o. Also will I bother with the mini-pump now that I've got the CO2 or should I keep it for insurance. My target average speed will be approx 28kph so I won't exactly be gunning it. Any advice?
    Anyway I was the first in with the bike box so that makes a change :)

Advertisement