Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its about time - IMAT12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Its going to be cosy in that lake. Must bring my rubber ducky as it'll be like a bath :eek:

Current lake water temp 25Deg http://www.woerthersee.com/en.aspx/Wetter/See/?rid=214

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

RedB wrote: »
    Thurs 22/06/12 pm Swim

Also travel to Clonmel with work.

500m WU
    10 x 50m Drills
    2 :eek: x 100m off 2:30 before being thrown out of the pool early as they had to prep for a competition :(
    Hit the Sauna again for 30min before being thrown out of that too :rolleyes:

The main point of the day though was getting my bike serviced and boxed by TriBikes as it had to be dropped off before 6pm today (Fri) and I'm working in Dublin today. The club are transporting a van load over the weekend and HOTW is on Sat hence the Fri deadline. The result was I ended up throwing into the box as much as I had handy to avoid carrying it when we fly next week. So, in went the wetsuit, bike shoes, track pump, bento box and nutrition, aero + reg bottles, Garmin mount and most importantly, for the family who'll be supporting me, a rug and small picnic basket!:D I also picked up a multitool and CO2 both of which I have no experience of using :). I'm going to have to put the bike back together and break it down again afterwards for reboxing in Austria so the multitool allen keys will get some use. I'll have to check out the chain and spoke tool parts of it for the race though as I haven't a clue what's involved with it. I didn't get a chance to clean the bike and especially the chain/gears so I'll have to do something there yet unless the service sorted it (didn't check). I kept my helmet as I hope to get in a few spins on my old bike and shoes in the next week.
    One thing I'm concerned about is the aero drag associated with the bike items. I'll be going with an aero bottle and std one on the down tube. I'll have a small bento box on the top tube. I'm debating about packing my spare tubes, tool, CO2 into a butchered bottle on the seat tube or have them in my big saddle bag that looks like this but hangs down 2-3 inches and sways :o. Also will I bother with the mini-pump now that I've got the CO2 or should I keep it for insurance. My target average speed will be approx 28kph so I won't exactly be gunning it. Any advice?
    Anyway I was the first in with the bike box so that makes a change :)

Are you wearing a cycle jersey (would recommend it - so many Paddies are bright red on the shoulders by the run...)?
    If so, you can stash a lot of stuff in there.

Good idea. A cycle Jersey it is so :). Will leave the Tri top for the run as the Swim will be roasting anyway.

Sat 23/06/12 am Run
    12km, 1:01, 5:05/km with 7:45 @ 4:13/km on 0:30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Good idea. A cycle Jersey it is so :). Will leave the Tri top for the run as the Swim will be roasting anyway.

Sat 23/06/12 am Run
    12km, 1:01, 5:05/km with 7:45 @ 4:13/km on 0:30

Go for a long sleeve skin tight cycle top if possible. You can douse the top in water and it will keep you cool on the bike whilst protetcing you from the sun. Genuinely excited to see how you, Oryx and handego get on.

Sun 24/06/12 am Brick
    Similar route to Wed but on old bike. Up Woodcock Hill Road, over Gallows, down to Sixmilebridge on fast long descent and reverse most of it to Watchouse Cross. Full Winter gear on a warm sunny day but in runners as no cleats on old bike shoes :o. Just made it quicker to whip off the helmet and do the run still in all the other gear :). Got some looks :rolleyes:
    52.93km, 2:11:31, 24.1kph, 743m ascending
    3.13km, 15:00, 4:48/km

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Best of luck Sir, it should prove no problems to you, and also looking forward to seeing how ye get on,

It feels sooooo good to start a post with the above title :).

In my head I'm alternating between bad karaoke versions of Europe's "Its the final countdown" and Sinatra's "My Way" (and now the end is here.....:rolleyes:). I'm in a good mind and body place and just looking forward to going out and doing a long Triathlon on Sunday and enjoying it as much as possible. No pressure :cool:;). I'm busy packing and writing and checking lists but everything is generally going to plan. Having the bike go last week probably pulled all the logistics forward a bit and meant less potential stress this week. We're tagging on a family holiday afterwards so we fly to Verona on Thursday afternoon but have to drive 400km then to Klagenfurt so it'll be nearly 1am getting there. The plan is to chillax as much as possible Friday in between collecting the bike and maybe checking out the bike course. WTC will love me :rolleyes: as I signed the 3 kids up for the Ironkids event on Sat and even got MrsB signed up for the Irongirl event after that :D so that'll be a bit of craic. A long day Sunday, relax Monday and get the bike reboxed and head back to Italy Tues for another 8 days family holiday in a Keycamp place near Venice where I am really looking forward to plenty of icecream, pizza, good food and wine :P. I still need to get my motivational baggage' packed' as JB suggested as I know I'm going to have to get through some suffering on the day so I'll have to have that ready too. Its been a tough challange getting to this point and I've had a weird "whatever" feeling over the last few weeks about IMAT where I sensed it was nearly all over so I wanted to start thinking about the next 'project' and wasn't that bothered anymore. I hope that's natural and am starting to get back into the spirit of it again now that its just days away. Its going to be epic and a massive realisation of what I had previously deemed impossible for me and hopefully something I'll look back on proudly for the rest of my days :).

Mon 25/06/12 Rest

Tues 26/06/12 am Run with 4 x 6min hard/2min easy on 0:10

9.38km, 45:01, 4:48/km (Hard splits 4:23/km, 4:18/km, 4:14/km, 4:12/km)
    A warm humid morning with heavy legs, struggled on the hard splits :o

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

Its been a tough challange getting to this point and I've had a weird "whatever" feeling over the last few weeks about IMAT where I sensed it was nearly all over so I wanted to start thinking about the next 'project' and wasn't that bothered anymore. I hope that's natural and am starting to get back into the spirit of it again now that its just days away.

I think we all have that feeling at this stage, we just want it done. Safe travel and hope to see you on the other side!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Best of luck on Sunday Redmond. Some serious amount of hard work put in on this thread. Massive mid-week long runs making me feel very inadequate. Enjoy it all now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

The very best of luch Red. I'm very jealous as I'd love to be doing an IM this year. Like a marathon, you only do your 1st IM once. Enjoy it and smile! :cool:

• Advertisement

The very best of luck Red...

I guarantee there will be a moment on the bike, where you'll remember going up and down the Silvermines in the pi$$ing rain and cold and thinking - that's when I became an Ironman...

Will be keeping a close eye on your progress!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭griffin100

Pretty much the same thing I posted on Oryx's log................

I'm not going to wish you good luck because you don't need it :D You've done the training now go and smash it.

Remember, it's your first one, don't forget to enjoy it, as the others have said smile for the cameras at the finish and don't let anyone cross the line with you stealing your glory!!

I'll be tracking you with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

Best of luck Red

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

The very best to you! I know it's a race, but it's also a HUGE accomplishment, so enjoy the pride in knowing you will now and forever be an Iron Man!!! Can't wait to read your report. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Good luck man. Remember: Think Airplanes! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Just go out and nail it. Enjoy the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

All the best Red, I remember it was around this time last year that you told me in Kilkee you were looking good in negotiations for Austria.

Lets hope the cubs/scouts will be sick of epic Ironman tales at the next outing

Big IM tattoo on the ankle coming ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Good Luck RedB.. looking forward to reading race report

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Best of luck Red hope you reap the rewards for your epic hilly bike sessions, enjoy the craic with the gang too :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck Red.

• Advertisement

It's in the thirties and we've just done ironkids successfully but no wetsuits for tomorrow is the big bad news. Mental here! Love it :

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Fantastic job you did today!!!!! Woo hoo.....WOO HOO!!! I just want to know if you're getting an IronMan tattoo? Or perhaps you've already gotten it?? ;)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Fantastic job you did today!!!!! Woo hoo.....WOO HOO!!! I just want to know if you're getting an IronMan tattoo? Or perhaps you've already gotten it?? ;)
    I'm not a tattoo kinda guy :) so no IM tat for me.
    15:29:59 is a fair reflection of a very tough day but it's done now and time for rest. Will post report next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Well done Red, fantastic result.

enjoy the holiday.

Many congrats Red!

That is going to be some report...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

There are some fantastic mountains around that area and you have the bike with you..............................

Well done and enjoy the holiday

2013 kenmare 5.59.59 surely :D

BennyMul wrote: »
    Well done Red, fantastic result.

enjoy the holiday.
    Cheers BM. Believe it or not you were a huge help on the Swim, as when I finally made it to the canal I heard your voice in my head saying "You, Sir, are a legend" when I realised I was going to finish the swim and probably make it to end line. A defining moment. I had boardsies in my head all day but I actually heard you! Dory was my gaurdian angel on the Swim and I had izoard, catweazle, MCOS and even Tunney among others throughout the day and I must say a MASSIVE thank you for all the support I've got on Boards. I literally could not have done this without you all over the years with advice, encouragement and inspiration. <bows the head in appreciation>

Izoard wrote: »
    Many congrats Red!

That is going to be some report...:)
    Epic :). It'll probably have to wait until I'm home in over 10 days as typing on the phone is head wrecking!

catweazle wrote: »
    There are some fantastic mountains around that area and you have the bike with you..............................

Well done and enjoy the holiday

2013 kenmare 5.59.59 surely :D
    The bike is going into it's box asap! They're sending them home today. Oh well, just have to sit BESIDE the pool instead :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

Well done Red

Advertisement