Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ILoveLimerick.com what do you think?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Kess73 wrote: »
    RonMexico wrote: »
    There is too much of a whiff of shameless self promotion in a desperate grasp for celebrity status about it from the usual culprits.

Which is a shame because it is a nice idea. At the moment however it appears to be more ILoveMyself.com than ILoveLimerick.com

I think this hits the nail on the head. The idea is a very valid one and one that could have far more impact than it currently does, but there are a few involved that come across as being more interested in self promotion or in attaining some kind of Z list celebrity status (which in a place as small as Limerick is so laughable) than they are in promoting Limerick. Now this is not true of everyone involved, but through one of my past jobs I had one particular person involved with iloveLimerick who made a beeline for me whenever that person saw me and that person never used the word "we" when talking about IloveLimerick but stuck with "I" constantly. That person was very very interested in the fact that the company I was with (and was regional manager of Ireland for) had a massive media presence in the UK and US, especially in the entertainment sector. When it was made clear to that person that he/she would not get any personal attention, and that any company involvement would have a professional media/PR person attached, the person's interest wained.

I Love Limerick could be an excellent string to Limerick's bow though. They need to stop recycling the same people time after time, and I don't just mean their presenters.

They also need to widen their scope of interests dramatically imho. At present they seem to be targetting a very small part of the population of Limerick, and they come across as being very clique orientated regardless of whether that is actually true or not.

I think some of their PR comes across and tries to come across as them being far bigger and more Influential than they are.

This thread is a good taster as to how they are perceived by members of the public who have no involvement with them. Great concept that needs a better execution. imho of course.

Well they only cover people who ask

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Not totally true. They have approached people in the past, and probably still do. Which is fair enough in my eyes, and is something they should do a lot more of. If they were only to cover those that ask to be covered, then it leads to the same old faces over and over and over, which is what a lot of people on this thread have already said.

Granted by going out there and being proactive in approaching people will lead to more knockbacks than if they just sit back and wait for people to come to them, but it could also lead to bigger things as they would be extending their circles, and the practise of approaching outsiders more often and getting some rejections would put them in the position to improve their own skills which would be a good thing as well.

I'm not against what it does, but I do see where a lot of people are coming from in their perceptions of I love Limerick, and I can see how those perceptions can be reinforced by some of what the I Love Limerick crew do.

I'm not knocking them, but I do think the potential the organisation has, and I do think there is a lot of potential there, is being somewhat wasted.

Not totally true. They have approached people in the past, and probably still do. Which is fair enough in my eyes, and is something they should do a lot more of. If they were only to cover those that ask to be covered, then it leads to the same old faces over and over and over, which is what a lot of people on this thread have already said.

Granted by going out there and being proactive in approaching people will lead to more knockbacks than if they just sit back and wait for people to come to them, but it could also lead to bigger things as they would be extending their circles, and the practise of approaching outsiders more often and getting some rejections would put them in the position to improve their own skills which would be a good thing as well.

I'm not against what it does, but I do see where a lot of people are coming from in their perceptions of I love Limerick, and I can see how those perceptions can be reinforced by some of what the I Love Limerick crew do.

I'm not knocking them, but I do think the potential the organisation has, and I do think there is a lot of potential there, is being somewhat wasted.

That'd been posted too early, I was posting on my mobile!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Same faces, Same stories and same old gay and fashion agenda. Not for me thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭betonit

its profile building, which can benefit many. But "they" do seem to target and dismiss certain people and events that are more beneficial to their profile rather than limerick. Its a CV builder.

im starting a website

ilovelimerickmore.com and ill wear a mask :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Originally Posted by XiledSniper
    How? What does he have to gain from it? Take it from someone involved, its not about promoting him - its about promoting Limerick.

I'm one of the photographers on their team (Cillian Keogh) Who took the photos for the Headway Ball, Outbreak, Arthurs Day, Butterfly Ball, Inspire, Inspire Wedding Fair, Limerick Pride, The Tops Ball, Outbreak Launch, Roches St. Fest, Pride Comedy Night, Thomond Swim.. And many many many more. (I'm also the lazy ****er who is the only photographer that doesn't have a bio done for the site)

I know for a fact that I find it benifical in getting me to the contacts I need.

So.....ammm which is it? a vehicle for the promotion of the people involved in it or of Limerick?

As seems to be the common feeling about the site, I love the idea and kudos on the site design, but the interviewer base does need to be broadened.

Its about promoting Limerick; Which I'm all for, But - as a photographer, since I'm working essentially a lot of this for free; I need to get something out of it, which its my networking side which is always on the go handing out cards, which I'd be doing if I'm covering an event with or without them; But if they have me doing more events its more chances to hand out my cards, (Or its just forcing me into events that I wouldn't have known about, or thought of doing). So by getting me the contacts, I essentially mean, Getting me out shooting what I wouldn't normally do.

How do you think out Famous Munster Images on here came to flurish? None other then ILoveLimerick.

Its about promoting Limerick; Which I'm all for, But - as a photographer, since I'm working essentially a lot of this for free; I need to get something out of it, which its my networking side which is always on the go handing out cards, which I'd be doing if I'm covering an event with or without them; But if they have me doing more events its more chances to hand out my cards, (Or its just forcing me into events that I wouldn't have known about, or thought of doing). So by getting me the contacts, I essentially mean, Getting me out shooting what I wouldn't normally do.

How do you think out Famous Munster Images on here came to flurish? None other then ILoveLimerick.

Oi, where are the shots of the red sky you took a few weeks ago? It looked perfect for some class shots the evening we drove past you
    out on the road with your camera

Stalker!!! I've got em printed! I'll upload em now actually and post em in the Limerick Thread!

And you drove past me.. And I didn't even notice you... :(

Stalker!!! I've got em printed! I'll upload em now actually and post em in the Limerick Thread!

And you drove past me.. And I didn't even notice you... :(

I did mention it in the random waffle thread about 20 to 30 minutes after passing you that day. :D

I was a passenger in my friend's car as she drove past you and a man near your house. The car even beeped at you. She lives down the estate from you and knows you. :p Hence me being in the area so often.

• Advertisement

My father? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gihj

Ever thought of standing on O,Connell street and handing out your cards to everyone who passes??
    I could be wrong but i thing you might get a wider network that way.

But then again it won't get you and the other handful of folk the same gigs with the same circle over and over.

Is it more work or more gigs with this lot you want?
    Think carefully before you reply now.:D

Ok he is your father.:) I had no idea who he was and was not interested enough to ask my friend.:p

She said that you are a lovely little fellow though. Polite and all that. So I told her that I was going to pull your legs off.:D

Ok he is your father.:) I had no idea who he was and was not interested enough to ask my friend.:p

She said that you are a lovely little fellow though. Polite and all that. So I told her that I was going to pull your legs off.:D

Next time jump out and maul me! ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Back on topic.. Just a wee question for you, XiledSniper- you state the intention of Ilovelimerick.com is to promote what's good about the city and is most definitely not about self-promotion, but there's substantial feedback from posters here who like the idea but believe that in practice, the exact opposite is the case, which would lead me to wonder if there's not something going wrong somewhere.

Not being from Limerick myself, I started following it on facebook when I was new to the city but soon found myself un-following it for almost identical reasons as outlined by other posters (repetitive content, narrow focus etc.)

Do you have any plan to relay the constructive criticisms voiced here to the ILL co-ordinators, or will you be taking a "Nobody's forcing you to look at it, yer all just begrudgers" line?

I'll actually be printing this all off and bringing it to him, because I agree with a lot of whats said, In terms of a change in presenters etc. Which I was saying for a while.

I Love Limerick could be an excellent string to Limerick's bow though. They need to stop recycling the same people time after time, and I don't just mean their presenters.

They also need to widen their scope of interests dramatically imho. At present they seem to be targetting a very small part of the population of Limerick, and they come across as being very clique orientated regardless of whether that is actually true or not.

I think some of their PR comes across and tries to come across as them being far bigger and more Influential than they are.

This thread is a good taster as to how they are perceived by members of the public who have no involvement with them. Great concept that needs a better execution. imho of course.

Nail. On. Head. It's not just about the presenters...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 J. Walter Weatherman

How? What does he have to gain from it? Take it from someone involved, its not about promoting him - its about promoting Limerick.

XiledSniper, I don't think just because you are involved we should all just take it that he's not about promoting himself. We can all see the videos. There have been many people who have volunteered for ilovelimerick who have left because of the self promotion and other reasons. It is obvious from looking at the videos that Richard just wants to be on camera as much as possible.

Follow the link below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6MfEKOWdiw

It is called Crescent inspire fashion show yet there isn't even any fashion until half way through the video. The rest of it is just Richard dancing, strutting and singing. He doesn't even say anything of substance.

The general consensus seems to be that most people think that this is a good idea ruined by the selfishness of the producers.

If you want to go around making videos about things that interest you and sticking your face in front of the camera the whole time that's fine. It's when you present it as selflessly promoting a city and it's inhabitants that people get annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

I was reading this post and had noticed richard the last couple of weeks, i dont know him or know anything about him but in fairness he puts himself out there and he is very good and what he does.

I do agree with others the same faces appear every week celia and john mc namara in the same places the cornstore are there no other people or restaurants in Limerick. i am sure other resturants and people would love the publicity - it is a little same old same old and that does tend to turn me off I have a quick glance and move on.

it is a fantastic idea but just needs to be varied and tweeked a bit - he is the face of ilovelimerick and he does a great job - he coule have maybe a co-presenter and go to different locations and review places it would make it more interesting.

i just watched the utube on the fashion show and the audience loved him and yeah he is camp but thats whats great about him. maybe a little bit too much of him in the clip and the same old faces but he did a great job. Dont knock him for that.

again i dont know him only from seeing him on the papers and facebook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 J. Walter Weatherman

Why have a presenter at all?
    Would it not make more sense to just show the good things happening in limerick without someone telling us how to interpret the footage before, during and after we've seen it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

That Crescent video is incredible. 6 minutes long and 3 of it is "Mr. Anthon" hogging the spotlight in front of a load of shellshocked shoppers. "I love Kylie..." - is that right? Fascinating. Oh and by the way here's a load of clothes too. Almost as an afterthought. It's ridiculous.

Having no shame or self-awareness is not a substitute for talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 thisislimerick

I think the Ilovelimerick.com idea was a great one in theory however I do feel there has been alot lost in translation in the actioning of this idea. If I'm honest, and lets face it, there's no point in being anything but these days. It's all a bit too self involved and overbearing and reminds me of an american chat show. All glitz and polish but little in the way of substance.
    I understand what it takes to make something like this. I must admit Ilovelimerick.com was somewhat of a catalyst in me and some friends creating thisislimerick.com. The funny thing is that I was contacted via facebook by a man connected with ilovelimerick asking about the availability of the thisislimerick.com domain. I informed him that unfortunately the domain was in use and was to be rolled out in the coming months and thought nothing more of it. That is until I saw ilovelimerick.coms coverage of and event the staged entitled "This is Limerick".
    After that I did find it a bit harder to find good in what they do. http://www.thisislimerick.com is in its early days but we are actively seeking contributors and will hopefully be up and running fully in the coming weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

I think the Ilovelimerick.com idea was a great one in theory however I do feel there has been alot lost in translation in the actioning of this idea. If I'm honest, and lets face it, there's no point in being anything but these days. It's all a bit too self involved and overbearing and reminds me of an american chat show. All glitz and polish but little in the way of substance.
    I understand what it takes to make something like this. I must admit Ilovelimerick.com was somewhat of a catalyst in me and some friends creating thisislimerick.com. The funny thing is that I was contacted via facebook by a man connected with ilovelimerick asking about the availability of the thisislimerick.com domain. I informed him that unfortunately the domain was in use and was to be rolled out in the coming months and thought nothing more of it. That is until I saw ilovelimerick.coms coverage of and event the staged entitled "This is Limerick".
    After that I did find it a bit harder to find good in what they do. http://www.thisislimerick.com is in its early days but we are actively seeking contributors and will hopefully be up and running fully in the coming weeks!

Why do I think Rubberbandits when I look at this site? I wish you the best of luck with it though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I think he may be the most annoying person ive ever seen on youtube

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

The whole "out & about" scene in all the Limerick rags really gets on my tits. Mike Buckley and the other clown, what is the point of them? Celia Lee and the rest of her cronies, again, what is the fúcking point?

That website does nothing to promote Limerick, it is shameless self promotion by these idiots. Its just people trying to get famous, its not going to happen so just give it up, Xpose dont need new presenters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

Open two tabs with ilovelimerick.com in one and thisislimerick.com in the other and you can see some very obvious differences.

Had a wee peep at this, really like it! Far superior to ILoveLimerick.com

Why do I think Rubberbandits when I look at this site? I wish you the best of luck with it though

I don't know pal, why do you think Rubberbandits when you look at the site? Not sure what yer getting at...

Had a wee peep at this, really like it! Far superior to ILoveLimerick.com

Thanks a million, early days but we're positive we can do something good for Limerick without all the "look at me" baggage.

• Advertisement

I don't know pal, why do you think Rubberbandits when you look at the site? Not sure what yer getting at...

Relax, I doubt it was meant as negative criticism- just an observation.

I see what he means- the horse with the speech bubble; the banner "Actin' the gowl since 2011"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement