Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to get into racing in mondello

Options
  • 08-10-2011 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi all

I am looking for info on getting into racing in mondello.I have no experience other than doing a start line course, So would need a racing licence first of all.
    I really need the whole package of info.Pricing for the different cars (hire for a season or buy) If i buy do i have to pay for storage or bring it home.

Hiring a car would seem to be the more feasable option I would imagine?

Prices for each championship race etc (with or without a team).

Not sure is there anything iam missing Iam sure the mods here can enlighten me a bit more as they have raced in mondello.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 iradford

Thanks ficus for the reply.
    I have been looking around and it seems that the unos are a good place to start ?

The best time i done was a 1 minute alot of traffic and had a bad spin on the back of the course (missed braking).

To be honest i wouldent have a budget as such.If i was to go uno would be able race a full season and I would also get a team also as ive no mechanical skills and would have nowhere really to store the car.Ide really just have to price in my head that its goin to cost x amount for the season without all the extras eg crashes mechanical etc.

What is a hans device?

I have seen the comp but I cant see anywhere to enter on the site, Will have a look at the link now.

Regards Ian

Ok so numbers have dropped in the uno series would it still be worth doing or would I be better looking at the next class up ? Would the touring cars be much more for the season and would there be much more of a price diff car wise ?

How would i go about getting a team would I find it hard as I am only starting.I am going down today to watch with the young lad Do you think that I would be able to talk to somebody there today?

Another thing i wanted to ask is about sponsership.How does this work and can it help with expences etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

Look for Joe Murray of Murray Motors and have a chat with him.

Cheers will do that will I be allowed into pits to chat to him ?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

Should be no problem.

• Advertisement

Ok so i went to mondello and got talking to john mc cormick about getting into the racing.

They were saying pretty much what ficus was saying about the unos and the punto would be the way to start.If i went with the punto and a team I would be into nearly 20 grand for a season if I was to complete the 12 rounds(without any extras engines, tyres and everythin else that can go wrong).With the unos it seems cheaper all round.I dont think I can justify spending that amount even if next year will cost say 12 because of car paid for etc.

Anybody any suggestions on what I could do.Different class that might be cheaper,not getting a team or even getting a mechanic friend in with me.

The problem I do see with not getting a team is I dont really have a place to store the car and I would have to buy a trailer also.

All advice appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

You dont have to spend 20grand though, especially if you are just starting out. Did they break down that figure for you at all? Im guessing that figure assumes you would be running with them, under their tent blah blah.

If you dont have your heart set on Mondello, and its moreso racing you are after consider looking at other forms of racing. Karting and autograss come to mind. I'm biased towards karting, but autograss looks like an absolute hoot!

Put it this way, as Ficus said, there are people doing Unos for around 4K/year. If you think that this is affordable for you, then my advise would be to go ahead and buy a car, rather than rent. Unless someone will rent you a car for a meeting and then allow the rent money to be taken away from the purchase price. Im sure if you network you will find someone that can help with storage and transport for a reasonable price. Us racers are an awefully helpful bunch, until the visor drops :)

Sponsorship comes in two forms, one is where you have an actual marketing partnership with a company. These are hard to come by, mainly because its hard to offer an honest return on their investment. The second type is goodwill sponsorship, people you know willing to help. It wont always be money, but often you might get tyres or fuel supplied, something of that nature. In your case if you could find someone to "sponsor" your transport and storage for the car you'd be laughing. Looks for situations that are win\win, where the cost is really low or next to zero for your potiental sponsor so their "risk" is minimzed. In these times especially its hard to pry money from peoples hands, so contra deals are a good bet.

Hi soupercomputer thanks for the reply.The 20 grand i have worked out myself on the basis of the info I have been given.

4-5 grand on a car
    12 rounds of racing at 1,000 a race (with a team)ie them towing car,storage and work on race days etc.
    Licence - couple of hundred euro
    All the race gear I will need(suit,helmet,gloves etc) another grand.

I dont have my heart set on mondello but is handy more than anything.

As for the unos I cant see how I would race 12 rounds with a team for 4 grand to me just doesent add up.If I could race an uno for 4 grand for a season I would be more than able to afford it.I am assuming that that 4 grand is me and a car racing with no crashes or repairs for a full season.

Yeah, the 4K figure is for a "privateer".
    Running with a team is spendy. I'm lucky in that my team in karting sponsors me, I'd be running myself otherwise including transport.

Here's an idea, offer to help some people for a couple of races next year, learn the ropes as they say. This way you can learn what you need to learn about running yourself, then for the latter part of the season you can put that into action.

Where do you live? Mondello might be handy, but there's a couple of kart tracks not too far from there (karts used to race Mondello, not anymore) and grass races are everywhere. Another thing to keep in mind is that you dont HAVE to do a full season. You could do every second race for example. Car sharing is another option, hook up with someone else in a similar position and at a given race one can drive, the other can work on the car.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,075 ✭✭✭✭beertons

There's a Mod here somewhere that works at Mondello, I have no idea who he is, but sure you could ask him too.

• Advertisement

That would be Lightning. I think Ficus works or worked at Mondello for a while?

Cheers for the info Folks.Would this work: Buying an uno all the gear and going privateer and get a mechanic friend of mine to come along and maybe work out something with him.Not sure if he knows much about racing engines but would assume he would be able to do the vast majority of things as i cant imagine there been much difference ?

There is two mods here that are instructors or used to be instructors i think also another guy that is an instructor who was mine for the start line course(steve) who also races up there

This might be a really stupid question but would an uno fit in the back of a ford transit jumbo.

The more help you can get the better. Maybe your mechanic friend would be interested in doing a couple of races too and you could share costs? I doubt the Uno would fit in a jumbo transit. A kart would though :)

Talk to as many people as you can, before you know it you'll connect with a couple of people and it will start to look doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Just out of mild curiosity but would a twin turbo Supra meet the regulations for the ITCC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    As far as I am aware you could run a Supra in the ITCC. Good choice for a car btw.

New regs coming into place next year will rule out a Supra TT. Turbo cars will have a max capacity of 2litre and n/a will have a max capacity of 3.5. Turbo cars are also going to have some sort of restriction placed on either boost or throttle body size. Also I think you're mixong up the Prelude with the Integra, there's only one Prelude on the grid of the ITCC and about 6million Integras :pac: We're going to be running 2 of them next year

Thanks for the replys.

What would the running costs of the prelude be compared to the punto ?

I will forget about an uno so.If I can run a car privateer with a mechanic friend Iam sure that both classes would be ok to go with costs wise.

Ive been looking at cars for sale on the net but all are old ads.Would i need to get in contact with somebody to find out about cars for sale ?

Ok so i have decided I am going to go fiat racing in a punto(if I can get one).
    I am going to try and get set for next season.

I just have a couple of questions that I need to know:
    1. Is making next season possible ?(I am starting from scratch from licence buying a car,Trailer and renting my own storage and getting a mechanic on board and Race gear)

2. I should be able to get a 20 ft container in the yard I already rent.I know car will fit but does anybody know will a car transport trailer fit in the width.
    Width of the container is 8 ft ?

3. Do i need a licence to tow this trailer and car ? I would be towing with an opel vivaro van.

4. Who can i get in contact with about buying a car and maybe trailer included would be nice. I have looked all over the net and all old ads etc.

Thats all for now

Thanks in advance Ian.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    . You should need a license I think it will be under the weight that needs a upgraded license.

Not quite sure what you mean here: I will need to upgrade my licence to tow the car and trailer ? Or upgrade the race licence because I want to race in the punto ?

Also ive looked at octane and there is two puntos for sale not sure if they are old ads or newish.

Would you happen to know anythin about them ? http://212.78.227.78/ads/car.php?id=6296 or http://212.78.227.78/ads/car.php?id=5592

Also If i decide to buy the car before i get a licence how can i test it or would I have to get somebody to test it for me that has a race licence.

I dont know anybody with a race licence What would I do here ?

Sorry I did mean a licence to tow the car on the trailer.I was thinking it would be under the 750kg that I could do on a b licence.

Anyway can worry about that later.

Why do you think I would be mad buying a punto ? I thought it would be a good start considering I havent raced before, You know what your talking about so maybe fill me in as to why you think i should go itcc and also is there much of a price difference running one compared to the other.

I was on to motorsport ireland today about my pack for the licence and I was told I have to wait until december for my pack because there will be new regs at the start of december.They said I could go with the pack now and get the updates on their website but the medical only lasts two months.

Can anybody shed some light on this ?

Anybody any opinions on this yellow integra ? http://www.flickr.com/photos/edfahey/5669316442/in/photostream/

Add here : http://www.octane.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=52800

Reduced from 7000 to 4800.

Seems decent to me ?

• Advertisement

iradford wrote: »
    Anybody any opinions on this yellow integra ? http://www.flickr.com/photos/edfahey/5669316442/in/photostream/

Add here : http://www.octane.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=52800

Reduced from 7000 to 4800.

Seems decent to me ?

It's not the car in the pic! The car in the pic is Barry Rabbitts CRX, I'd say you'd have to pry it from his cold dead hands

Barry actually used to race that Integra, it's a bloody good car

What do you mean its not the car in the pic ? why would he put up a pic of a car thats diff than the one he is selling ?

What do you mean its not the car in the pic ? why would he put up a pic of a car thats diff than the one he is selling ?

The pic you've linked above isn't a Honda Integra, it's a Honda CRX

The car for sale is the second car in this photo

http://www.flickr.com/photos/edfahey/5669314486/lightbox/

got ye sorry bout that dident even dawn on me.to late ha!

Do ye think its worth having a look at if its still going ?

got ye sorry bout that dident even dawn on me.to late ha!

Do ye think its worth having a look at if its still going ?

Absolutely, if I hadn't already started my own Integra build I'd consider this car, the lads call it 'the henhouse' and it's had more hits then the Beatles but that's what happens to a racecar and it's super reliable

cheers ive contacted him so will wait for a reply.Any ideas who I could get to test this car or another car for me ? No licence yet :(

cheers ive contacted him so will wait for a reply.Any ideas who I could get to test this car or another car for me ? No licence yet :(

What kind of test? We look after these type of cars in my work (currently have 3 on the go)

This car finished 3rd in the Super Touring Class of the ITCC this year, that's no mean feat

To bring it around the track see what its like although with the season finished not sure if thats feasable.I would at least bring somebody down that knew fully what they were looking at.

To bring it around the track see what its like although with the season finished not sure if thats feasable.I would at least bring somebody down that knew fully what they were looking at.

I'm not sure how you'd go about that tbh. If you want to track test the car you'd have to get the seller to agree to bring it to an open track day (all you need is a full car license for this) but that would be something you and the seller would have to work out between ye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭PJ_RS1800

Advertisement