Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would you feel if your child was gay?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Abi wrote: »
    The amount of people on fucking high-horses replying is just unreal. "Yes, their my child, I'd love them regardless". Now I'd love to see a poll here, where those of whom were so accepting of the idea, that are ACTUAL parents. How the hell would you know, realistically, unless you were placed in that situation?

What, so I have to have crotch fruit to know whether or not I have any opposition to gay people? How does that work? I can safely assert that I have no problem at all with gay people, without having to procreate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

hondasam wrote: »
    Let me rephrase, my comment was in response to Pragmatic who said it was hereditary, I did not think it was hereditary. Glad that is cleared up.
    Here ya go: http://escholarship.org/uc/item/863841tx#page-1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

fedor.2. wrote: »
    And eyeliner of course

Men have been wearing makeup, including eyeliner, throughout history, dating back to the Egyptians.

C'mon man, if you're gonna attempt to troll me do it well. Yeesh :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

I'd feel the same way about him/her if they were straight! Their sexual orientation wouldn't make me feel any different. I'd love them regardless and if they needed help/advice I'd be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

And eyeliner of course
    Men don't wear eyeliner, they wear completely masculine guyliner and manscara ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Millicent wrote: »
    crotch fruit

You will never be able to truely appreciate how much I laughed upon reading that phrase... It hurt, I had to hold my stomach with both hands.

Will definitely use in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

And eyeliner of course

What if MY gay child wears eyeliner??

SHE's been wearing it since SHE was 12?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

chucken1 wrote: »
    SHE's been wearing it since SHE was 12?

Why is a 12 year old wearing make-up?

Seachmall wrote: »
    Why is a 12 year old wearing make-up?

Well shes 27 now..probably covering spots?:P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

strobe wrote: »
    You will never be able to truely appreciate how much I laughed upon reading that phrase... It hurt, I had to hold my stomach with both hands.

Will definitely use in future.

Glad to be of assistance. :D

• Advertisement

Personally, and I'm slightly ashamed to say this, but I'd be very disappointed.

I have no problem with gay people, I know a few and get on with them just fine. But,

So, how would you feel if your child was gay?

Get over it..Be good and be nice.

Thats All I have to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I'd be like- wtf am I doing with this child????
    Then wonder how long before I can get an upgrade. :)

Im sure the religious nuts would love it, a gay with a gay kid... The Westboro baptist church would set up camp in my front lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,314 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Where else do you think it comes from considering your kid inherits your genes and you're the biggest influence on his/her life.

There are some that would have you believe it's down to their loud music, tight pants and their computer video games. Makes them violent killers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

While I highly, highly doubt I'll ever have children.....if my kid was gay I would be fine with it. There is nothing wrong with being gay and you should love your child regardless.

However if he started putting on an act like the over the top ultra-camp showy types, I'd tell him to cop on to him self. Being gay doesn't entitle you to act like a total tool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Duggy747 wrote: »
    If my son was gay I'd disown him if he ever became the over-the-top, dramatic camp type in my house!! That position is already taken and nobody is stealing my thunder :pac:

:D

Nice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Why? First of all for selfish reasons. I would love to be a grandfather one day and would find it hard to accept of being deprived that aspiration.

Whether they are gay or not you may be "deprived that aspiration"

Oh and PS. Someone who is gay can have kids too.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I'd be ok if he was Neil Patrick Harris gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭DaveDaRave

Someone who is gay can have kids too.....

Ah c'mon, adopted kids aren't REAL kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭giveth

As a gay guy, I've never felt discriminated against. What would really hurt though would be if I felt my parents were disappointed in me for being who I am.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Where else do you think it comes from considering your kid inherits your genes and you're the biggest influence on his/her life.

My son was the biological product of a lesbian and a gay man. He was raised by 2 lesbians in the Gay community. We played him disco music, taught him about art and interior design, how to look stylish and fabulous, he read Wilde and got all the jokes, took him on Pride marches. He learned that it is possible for men and women to see and treat each other as equals [and girls can kick your ass].

In short, We taught him everything he needed to be witty and gay.

The ungrateful bas***d only grows up to be a beardie hetro in unironed jeans and nerdie t-shirts who constantly makes 'Where's my sandwich woman!' jokes. I created a straight guy...

At least he hates soccer...so that's a minor consolation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Is it okay to be efeminaphobic (I don't know if that's a word) but is it okay to feel uneasy about men acting like hysterical teenage girls?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Is it okay to be efeminaphobic (I don't know if that's a word) but is it okay to feel uneasy about men acting like hysterical teenage girls?

Yes.

Gay people hate camp people awell.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    My son was the biological product of a lesbian and a gay men. He was raised by 2 lesbians in the Gay community. We played him disco music, taught him about art and interior design, how to look stylish and fabulous, he read Wilde and got all the jokes, took him on Pride marches. He learned that it is possible for men and women to see and treat each other as equals [and girls can kick your ass]

Were you dissapointed when he said he was straight? :pac:

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Yes.

Gay people hate camp people awell.

Is this a tarp trap?

o_o?

Were you dissapointed when he said he was straight? :pac:

Not in the slightest. He is who he is and I love who he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

If I had a daughter who was gay id be delighted a she would be bringing sexy lesbian women home to my house!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Have two boys and I wouldn't care in the slightest. The idea that I wouldnt love and support my kids because of something like that is ludicrous.

If I had a daughter who was gay id be delighted a she would be bringing sexy lesbian women home to my house!

Dude....you do know lesbians - whether you find them sexy of not - will have zero interest in you don't you?

Oh dear...I hope I haven't burst your bubble... somebody had to tell you to save you from making an unmerciful eejit of yourself at some point in a future that may or may not happen....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I can honestly say it would not be an issue for me either way. If I got pregnant and was told I somehow had the option to choose the baby's sexuality, I simply wouldn't choose.

I don't really accept the "bullying" argument ... I know quite a few perfectly happy gay/bi adults who were never ever bullied growing up. And I know plenty of straight people who were. Being straight is not a guarantee of happiness.

I have to admit, it annoys me when people say they'd "learn to accept it." Your child is their own person, being gay isn't a choice, it's simply a part of who they are. They shouldn't need to wait around for your acceptance of something that they can't (and probably wouldn't want to) change! They shouldn't be made feel like you're doing them some sort of favour by not disowning them over it!

As for the grandparent issue ... Becoming a parent yourself does not give you an entitlement to grandchildren! Plenty of straight people can't have children, plenty don't want children, once they get to that age they're living their own lives and whether they end up having kids or not is nobody's business but their own.

Advertisement