Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would you feel if your child was gay?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

hondasam wrote: »
    If I had a gay child then either me or the childs father would have to be gay.
    All gay people have a gay parent

I'm sorry, are you for real?

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Absolute tosh.

What about cliques where it's easy for those to pick on others who are deemed weaker and different by their peers to fit in? Those poor, poor lambs.

When you have a bully causing phsycial and mental pain to another for personal gain to feed their egos and status in a group they don't deserve one bit of sympathy.

Don't cloud my post with the enigma that all bullies suffer from mental anguish and hurt just as much as those they cause suffering to. Alot do but the majority don't and eventually grow out of it when they grow a bit of cop on in themselves. I came across / grew up with people who went along with the mentality of their peers and it utterly sickened me.

I had to deal with these type of cùnts myself. Ones who were once my good friends but then ditched me and others to fit it with who they thought were the hip & happening kids.

A bully shouldn't be bullied, nor should they be given hugs and kisses. They should be taught how the world really works and how their actions reflect on others in the long run. Utter bullshìt.

I agree 100% with the point i bolded and can't disagree with what preceeded it.
    I was being somewhat facetious/playing the devil's advocate to a certain extent in that post; just trying to introduce a different slant for the sake of..something. Broadening the argument, maybe.
    Can't disagree with you at all, and point taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Ah jesus Sam please tell me you left yourself logged in to a random computer and someones taking the piss on your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

No. But whatever makes a human gay, be it genetic or environmental, comes from either youself or your partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

BBBBWWWWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
    AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Seriously, that shits funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

Once you have a child, you know every cliche in the book is true.

Nothing matters except your child feeling happy and loved, if that means they're gay, so be it. They'll probably just need that little bit more support from you.

Love for your kid should be unconditional.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

As long as He/She is rich and buys me my holiday home in the south of France, I don't give a damn what they're into.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

The amount of people on fucking high-horses replying is just unreal. "Yes, they're my child, I'd love them regardless". Now I'd love to see a poll here, where those of whom were so accepting of the idea, that are ACTUAL parents. How the hell would you know, realistically, unless you were placed in that situation?

To be clear, I have a gay brother. My parents are 'opposed' and have no understanding of his sexuality, and would rather avoid the whole 'issue' but continue to love their son. I KNOW they think about it though.

I adore my brother, I agree with the OP. It is a tough life, and I was the first to know my brother was gay. He told me when he was around 11 or 12, and I feel honoured to be the first person he told. I love him, support him, but I know he has a tough life. I can't imagine how hard it is for him, people constantly judging him, either aloud or silently.

I would love my brother to find love, and I know in time - my parents eventually will be ok with it. For now, I think they're just fearful for him, and uneducated. Society are starting to change their views on gay relationships, however most still have hidden issues with it.

I've more respect for people who will openly admit they'd find it difficult as a parent of a gay son or daughter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Ha That's some comment.

Are you a DNA/Genetics expert ???

With regards to my own son, Lets just say the apples don't fall far from the tree,
    Its obvious he isn't gay but even if he was I would still love him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Interesting theory...

Bendy mickey = bendy kids.

Hmm.

Oi...sometimes theres no mickey!;)

• Advertisement

As long as He/She is rich and buys me my holiday home in the south of France, I don't give a damn what they're into.:D

France? Really? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Is that you Phil Mitchell?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

chucken1 wrote: »
    Oi...sometimes theres no mickey!;)

Li.............like a dildo?..............tha..........that shoots out collected sperm from a donor?..............wait a minute..........

:eek:

*applies to Dragon's Den*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

chucken1 wrote: »
    France? Really? :p

Or wherever ...as long as there's sun and alcohol....perhaps some cutting edge interior design....you know, the basics.

Abi wrote: »
    The amount of people on fucking high-horses replying is just unreal. "Yes, their my child, I'd love them regardless". Now I'd love to see a poll here, where those of whom were so accepting of the idea, that are ACTUAL parents. How the hell would you know, realistically, unless you were placed in that situation?

To be clear, I have a gay brother. My parents are 'opposed' and have no understanding of his sexuality, and would rather avoid the whole 'issue' but continue to love their son. I KNOW they think about it though.

I adore my brother, I agree with the OP. It is a tough life, and I was the first to know my brother was gay. He told me when he was around 11 or 12, and I feel honoured to be the first person he told. I love him, support him, but I know he has a tough life. I can't imagine how hard it is for him, people constantly judging him, either aloud or silently.

I would love my brother to find love, and I know in time - my parents eventually will. For now, I think they're just fearful for him, and uneducated. Society are starting to change their views on gay relationships, however most still have hidden issues with it.

I've more respect for people who will openly admit they'd find it difficult as a parent of a gay son or daughter.

Hi, I'm an actual parent to two children.

Both of my parent's are gay (mother and father).
    I am straight, not bi, not curious, completely straight (for those morons who think genetics affects it).

I honestly could not give a flying fúck if one, or both, of my children were gay.

I have zero respect for parents who are bothered by the fact their child is gay, because it is wrong, stupid and completely selfish.

A person's sexuality has absolutely zero bearing on the person they are, the things they do and the way they think.
    And the sooner society fúcking understands this, the better we will be as a species.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Millicent wrote: »
    Are you messing? I really hope you are and I'm just being dozy cos it's AH and it's late. :/
    I'm sorry, are you for real?

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:
    Sonics2k wrote: »
    Ah jesus Sam please tell me you left yourself logged in to a random computer and someones taking the piss on your account.
    pragmatic1 wrote: »
    No. But whatever makes a human gay, be it genetic or environmental, comes from either youself or your partner.
    Seachmall wrote: »
    BBBBWWWWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
    AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Seriously, that shits funny.
    charlemont wrote: »
    Ha That's some comment.

Are you a DNA/Genetics expert ???

With regards to my own son, Lets just say the apples don't fall far from the tree,
    Its obvious he isn't gay but even if he was I would still love him.

Let me rephrase, my comment was in response to Pragmatic who said it was hereditary, I did not think it was hereditary. Glad that is cleared up.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Li.............like a dildo?..............tha..........that shoots out collected sperm from a donor?..............wait a minute..........

:eek:

*applies to Dragon's Den*

Nah I checked that idea out like 10 years ago, it's been done. I was disappointed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Let me rephrase, my comment was in response to Pragmatic who said it was hereditary, I did not think it was hereditary. Glad that is cleared up.
    So option 2 it is, nurture. That would also be strongly influenced by you and your partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

The amount of people on fucking high-horses replying is just unreal. "Yes, their my child, I'd love them regardless". Now I'd love to see a poll here, where those of whom were so accepting of the idea, that are ACTUAL parents. How the hell would you know, realistically, unless you were placed in that situation?

I would love my brother to find love, and I know in time - my parents eventually will. For now, I think they're just fearful for him, and uneducated. Society are starting to change their views on gay relationships, however most still have hidden issues with it.

I'd love my child regardless = someone on their high horse? How do you figure that?

I answered honestly and if you find that hard to believe, that's up to you.

I don't see the problem and that's the truth. I had a tough time in relationships as a heterosexual growing up, some I wouldn't wish on anyone. I have both gay and heterosexual friends and I can assure you, it's the straight friends who have been hurt the most in relationships.

My parents went through plenty of sh!t with me as a straight female making bad choices, so I can't see why so many people think being in a gay relationship makes it any harder, I really don't.

This was the point I made, I would still love my child but I would not be happy but would learn to accept it in time.

• Advertisement

orourkeda wrote: »
    They're still your child no matter what.

Im just quoting this cos I used to think O'R scared me.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

My point regarding a person's child happening to turn out to be a 'bully' still stands, though.
    And how does one define a 'bully'; many people could see others as being a 'bully' even though that person never saw themselves as a bully and, if they ever thought of it at all, would only have seen it as asserting themselves.
    Can anyone, even those who regard themselves as having been victim of a bully, say with certainty that no-one they ever encountered could ever have felt that they were perhaps a victim of their bullying?
    It's all relative.
    How does one deal with that? Is that due to nature, nurture, a bit of both, something else or a bit of all these things?
    And how should this be approached by the parent/s of the bully, 'authority figures' and the kid's peers?
    That's an entirely different nest of vipers, really, i suppose.

Aoifey! wrote: »
    So option 2 it is, nurture. That would also be strongly influenced by you and your partner.

Is there studies to prove this? I have to be careful what I say now as everyone seemed to get the last comment wrong.

Children are influenced by lots of things not necessarily parents,could be cousins, uncles aunts etc,

This was the point I made, I would still love my child but I would not be happy but would learn to accept it in time.

See, this I truly don't get.

Why wouldn't you be happy? Why would you care at all.

Our sexuality is a tiny, minuscule part of who we are.
    There's no need to be afraid of bullying, it'll probably happen anyway at some point. Hell, they may even turn out to be the bullies themselves.

It can't be grandchildren. If they were straight they may still never have a child. They could turn out to be really feckin ugly, with a horrible personality and have no friends.

How does it affect you if they fall in love with someone of the same gender? Love is love, and once any person has it we should be happy for them, regardless of who it is with!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

I am straight, not bi, not curious, completely straight (for those morons who think genetics affects it).

I honestly could not give a flying fúck if one, or both, of my children were gay.

I have zero respect for parents who are bothered by the fact their child is gay, because it is wrong, stupid and completely selfish.

A person's sexuality has absolutely zero bearing on the person they are, the things they do and the way they think.
    And the sooner society fúcking understands this, the better we will be as a species.

Of course it does, dont be so silly. Take it easy with the bad language too, what way were you brought up at all...............oh wait, dont answer that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Arianna_26

As long as my child was healthy and happy I would be fine.

I would never bring him or her into the world under the obligation that they would give me grandchildren someday. If I do have children they would be gift enough for me.

If anything, I'd rather they were openly gay than try to conceal it and have children for the sake of trying to keep their parents (and the wider society) happy because that can only lead to misery, for both them and any children they may have, and I'd want more for any child of mine.

Just because you give life to someone doesn't mean they owe you gratitude and in turn you get to decide how they spend it.

There is no way I would be disappointed so long as they were happy.

fedor.2. wrote: »
    Of course it does, dont be so silly. Take it easy with the bad language too, what way were you brought up at all...............oh wait, dont answer that

No, it really doesn't.

Hate to tell you this, but the only difference between a straight man and a gay man is emotional and sexual attraction to different genders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

I wouldnt be happy because i dont think it is natural but i suppose id have no choice but to accept it.. i know im gonna get shot down in flames for this & im not trolling & each to there own & all that...but i personallly dont believe its right & i wouldnt want my child to practise something i think isnt right.. simple as that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I completely agree :)
    I'd love my child regardless = someone on their high horse? How do you figure that?
    I didn't refer to your post in particular.
    I answered honestly and if you find that hard to believe, that's up to you.
    Again, I wasn't responding to you directly.
    My parents went through plenty of sh!t with me as a straight female making bad choices, so I can't see why so many people think being in a gay relationship makes it any harder, I really don't.
    Straight or gay, people make bad choices.

Secondly, you've had the benefit of having gay parents, others don't. I KNOW it's tough for my brother, because he's told me so. He was so afraid of telling my parents, but I encouraged him to. He had no life until he did. I'm not so sure why you think I'm in the wrong in this respect. But I understand your strong stance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

No, it really doesn't.

Hate to tell you this, but the only difference between a straight man and a gay man is emotional and sexual attraction to different genders.

And eyeliner of course

Advertisement