Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nature programmes on the TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Bsal wrote: »
    Springwatch starts on Monday at 8pm BBC2.

Just a reminder that this is starting tonight.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Our Roseate Terns on Rockabill will be on Springwatch tonight - tune into BBC Two from 8pm onwards!

http://rockabillterns.blogspot.ie/2015/06/rockabill-roseate-terns-on-bbc.html

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

BBC big blue live...tonight @8.00

marine life in california

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

^^^^^^^^^^^

excellent programme, those sea otter pups are adorable

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

The Rockabill Tern Conservation Project will be on 'Animal Rescue' on TV3 tomorrow night at 8.30pm.

Here's a link to short video preview: https://video-ams2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-xpa1/v/t43.1792-2/12009398_10153229973854538_263841869_n.mp4?efg=eyJybHIiOjE1MDAsInJsYSI6MTAyNH0%3D&rl=1500&vabr=920&oh=a6ecb101ac9e62a8d60e147cb757472d&oe=55F58252

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Britain's Biggest Adventure with Bear Grylls

Started Tue Night, it was alright. Didn't to well in the auld ratings. Trying to be Bear Attenborough, no reason why it shouldn't work but...

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/sep/16/itvs-bear-grylls-show-fails-to-hit-big-time-as-just-15-million-tune-in

Not TV - but close enough! Kieran Buckley of the NPWS and Irish Grey Partridge Trust was the focus of this weeks 'Ireland's Wild People' - a series by Colin Stafford Johnston:

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/nature-on-one/

I know it can be a bit samey each year, but Autumnwatch starts up again tomorrow evening on BBC2 for 4 episodes only.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭BoltzmannBrain

I like Autumnwatch, great the camera angles they can get to watch the animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Racing extinction ( 2015)

New Documentary

Oscar-winning director Louie Psihoyos assembles a team of artists and activists on an undercover operation to expose the hidden world of endangered species and the race to protect them against mass extinction. Spanning the globe to infiltrate the world’s most dangerous black markets and using high tech tactics to document the link between carbon emissions and species extinction, Racing Extinction reveals stunning, never-before seen images that truly change the way we see the world.( 2015)

On Discovery channel now. very good.

http://www.racingextinction.com

#StartWith1Thing

CWSXNZNUAAAVw0X.jpg:large

• Advertisement

Eco-Eye tonight featured Birdwatch Ireland's Little Tern project at Kilcoole, as well as other interesting research from the Marine Institute - well worth checking out on RTE Player.

Winterwatch starts tonight for 4 episodes, 8pm on BBC2.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,663 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

whyulittle wrote: »
    Winterwatch starts tonight for 4 episodes, 8pm on BBC2.

Really enjoying this years offering:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Anyone watch Attenborough and the dinosaur last week? That man is just brilliant . Recently got Netflix and have been watchin everything he's done so far. Really a man of the century and definitely a man that's lived the life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Really enjoying this years offering:)

Yeah, enjoyed BBC's Winterwatch too ! Some fantastic wildlife moments captured in quite challenging weather. While watching, I though more than once, why can't Irish TV do something similar - simple format, loads of interesting locations, habitats & species and we have plenty of well regarded naturalists / wildlife experts to present or contribute. In fairness, Colin Stafford Johnson does really good stuff but probably restricted in budget & commissioning by RTE etc to do more regular and seasonal work. I think back to the wonderful " Amuigh Faoin Speir" of childhood years - a formative experience for many who love and enjoy nature I bet ! Why not spend some of the licence fee on some quality home grown nature programming RTE ? It would make a change from all the imported soap style rubbish we're subjected to and might just sow some seeds of wonder and appreciation of nature in the next generations just like Eamon de Buitlear & Gerrit van Gelderen did all those years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Bsal

The fight between the fox and eagle was something special and the mouse in the maze loved that, oh and when Chris says to Michaela ' how was your black cock experience' I was in knots laughing.

The Eco-Eye team ‏@EcoEye 1m1 minute ago
    ProSilva Ireland Chair, Paddy Purser, explains benefits of Close-to-Nature continuous cover forestry #EcoEye at 7PM

The Eco-Eye team ‏@EcoEye 1m1 minute ago
    ProSilva Ireland Chair, Paddy Purser, explains benefits of Close-to-Nature continuous cover forestry #EcoEye at 7PM RTE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Hotei

BBC Northern Ireland's Newsline will be briefly covering a project to help re-introduce Corncrakes back to Rathlin Island. It's on tonight between 6.30 and 7.00 p.m. on BBC1. Just thought it might be of interest to Capercaillie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭emo72

seen an excellent show on bbc 4 over the weekend about sea birds on the scottish islands. about how the colonies look fine but they're not really. segment on catching puffins and eating them in iceland. also how and why some birds went extinct. would actually watch it again if i could my hands on it cos i fell asleep near the end. it was on after midnight in fairness and beer had been consumed.

• Advertisement

emo72 wrote: »
    seen an excellent show on bbc 4 over the weekend about sea birds on the scottish islands. about how the colonies look fine but they're not really. segment on catching puffins and eating them in iceland. also how and why some birds went extinct. would actually watch it again if i could my hands on it cos i fell asleep near the end. it was on after midnight in fairness and beer had been consumed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b072rpwn/the-last-seabird-summer-1-living-with-the-birds

That would be this documentary (for those who can watch BBC player)

Pretty sure there's a second episode on this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b072rpwn/the-last-seabird-summer-1-living-with-the-birds

That would be this documentary (for those who can watch BBC player)

Pretty sure there's a second episode on this weekend.

Watched it - excellent programme, part 2 probably same time next week - Tues 8th @9pm ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Hotei wrote: »
    BBC Northern Ireland's Newsline will be briefly covering a project to help re-introduce Corncrakes back to Rathlin Island. It's on tonight between 6.30 and 7.00 p.m. on BBC1. Just thought it might be of interest to Capercaillie.
    Ahh missed it. Thanks for update though. I remember an incident on Rathlin Island during summer 2014. They managed to attract a corncrake to a nettle bed they created in a hay meadow. Somebody landed a helicopter in the Hay meadow a couple of days later. The corncrake deserted the site!!

Ahh missed it. Thanks for update though. I remember an incident on Rathlin Island during summer 2014. They managed to attract a corncrake to a nettle bed they created in a hay meadow. Somebody landed a helicopter in the Hay meadow a couple of days later. The corncrake deserted the site!!

You didn't miss a whole lot to be honest, and reckon anything mentioned you would have been familiar with anyway. Volunteers were planting nettle beds along the field margins. It's a project being led by the NI branch of the RSPB.
    They did mention the helicopter incident alright!
    I hope it bears fruit for them this year or in the years to come.

You didn't miss a whole lot to be honest, and reckon anything mentioned you would have been familiar with anyway. Volunteers were planting nettle beds along the field margins. It's a project being led by the NI branch of the RSPB.
    They did mention the helicopter incident alright!
    I hope it bears fruit for them this year or in the years to come.

They are looking to attract Corncrake that are on their way to Islands off Western Scotland or Donegal birds. Difficult since crexs return generally to within 1.5 km from where they are hatched. Even if they do get corncrake breeding it will be hard for them to establish. Small isolated population are vulnerable to dying out since you generally don't great migration from neighboring populations.

They are hoping to attract birds that usually make their way to the Scottish Isles. So you're saying it may be an exercise in futility after all? That's a shame.

They are hoping to attract birds that usually make their way to the Scottish Isles. So you're saying it may be an exercise in futility after all? That's a shame.
    Not saying that. Not futile but project will be difficult to get results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Bsal

Springwatch at Easter a one off episode on Friday 9pm BBC2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mattser

Thanks. Looking forward to that.

• Advertisement

It's not being broadcast on BBC Northern Ireland by all accounts.

Advertisement