Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment- The Waiting to Apply Room

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Dan1994

eroo wrote: »
    143 ministerial drivers and advisers have been appointed since March, all well paid. Yet they are still cutting Garda numbers while essentially increasing Govt staff. Not surprised!!

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/public-service-staff-to-be-cut-by-18000-over-the-next-four-years-2937541.html

jobs for the boys comes to mind, i thought they were meant to be reducing the number of ministerial drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

So it appears the Govt have no plan as to where the numbers of public service personnel will be cut from. If we look at AGS, it could be 2013 before the numbers are down to 13,000. That assumes 500 go next year and year after, which would actually be ahead of their schedule for the Govt.

Just to let ye know Pat Kenny is broadcasting from Templemore next Wednesday. The show will be dedicated to the Garda College and lack of recruitment afaik. I am eagerly awaiting it tbh. It will be interesting to see if anyone from Govt/DoJ turns up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

what show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 P.O.S

So it appears the Govt have no plan as to where the numbers of public service personnel will be cut from. If we look at AGS, it could be 2013 before the numbers are down to 13,000. That assumes 500 go next year and year after, which would actually be ahead of their schedule for the Govt.

Just to let ye know Pat Kenny is broadcasting from Templemore next Wednesday. The show will be dedicated to the Garda College and lack of recruitment afaik. I am eagerly awaiting it tbh. It will be interesting to see if anyone from Govt/DoJ turns up.

Numbers should be around 14,000 by end of year and come end of February will be less,how much less no-one knows.After Feb when gardai become eligible to retire alot of them may not retire because the pension cut is already in place.
    Shatter has said before 13,000 figure will be hard to achieve...but still 'hopes' to bring a class in next year so perhaps recruitment is not entirely dependent on numbers,get things moving anyway because moratorium will be lifted then.
    I think at best there'll be one campaign between now and 2015.

thekopend wrote: »
    what show?

Pat Kenny Show on Radio 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Dan1994

hi , where did ya hear about this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Cork Boy wrote: »
    Can anyone suggest any foreign forces excl PSNI that may be recruiting? Unfortunately the UK (mainland) are cutting numbers also.

Realistically the answer has to be No - American , Australian , New Zealand , Canadian forces , etc , all either require Citizenship or Permanent Residency which pretty much rules out applicants from Ireland.

Dunno about Police recruitment on the continent but you can be pretty sure fluency in the language would be a pre-requisite and there may well be residency requirements to fulfil also.

Like you said , UK recruitment is drastically curtailed with even The Met on a freeze , sorry to say I can't see any opportunities overseas popping up anytime soon. It should be noted that all UK forces ( bar the PSNI ) require applicants to have been UK resident for the 3 years immediately prior to applying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 P.O.S

http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2011-11-17.923.0&s=garda+recruitment

if shatter cant guarantee panel's future what chances have us waiting for a campaign..he spoke of bringing class in next year rest of panel would then be called 2013...maybe no recruitment whatsoever in next two years but there could well be as panel is still in place and they could yet be brought in.
    if they aren't then us waiting to apply haven't much hope either

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gardapa

Is that response not different than the ones he has given before!!

Below is taken from the Metropolitan Police Service website. They now recruit internally. I've heard from several Gardai that AGS management is seriously considering going down this same route. So who knows what the next campaign will look like?
    The MPS has changed the way that it recruits police constables. The majority of police officer recruits will now come from serving MPS special constables and PCSOs. Currently the only route for external applicants to become a police officer is by joining the MPS as a Special Constable. MPS special constables are able to apply for the role of police officer when internal vacancies arise if they have attained Independent Patrol Status (IPS) and have a current satisfactory appraisal. Independent Patrol Status is the term given when a special constable has reached a satisfactory standard of competence to enable them to patrol independently.

Special constables will be required to complete an internal application form (when internal vacancies arise) and undertake the Police National Recruitment Standard (NRS) assessment process, which is often called Day 1 (assessment centre) and Day 2 (medical and fitness). All special constable candidates, who achieve the MPS standard at Day 1 NRS, will undertake training which recognises their previous learning and operational experience before being appointed as a police constable. In future when external recruitment reopens, it is likely to be for a very limited number of vacancies.

The MPS has just launched it first internal selection campaign based on the new approach to police constable selection and training. The internal selection campaign is aimed at selecting from currently serving MPS special constables and PCSOs. To find out more and to apply to become a special constable, please visit www.metpolicecareers.co.uk/specials

Included in the new process for the recruitment is the proposal of a "third pathway" for external applicants. That would include applicants precluded from being special constables by virtue of their profession or personal circumstances (including graduates). At this stage this external route is not currently developed and will not be activated for 2011-12 recruitment. Plans in respect of 2012-13 MPS police recruitment are also currently not developed. Any new information or development will be posted to our careers website.

• Advertisement

The Pat Kenny Show is coming from Templemore NOW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭itsallgood

The Pat Kenny Show is coming from Templemore NOW.

Well? Anything said or anyone make a statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

itsallgood wrote: »

no nothing direct about recruitment. It was primarily focused on the town of Templemore and the businesses and the spin-off good and bad from the Garda College.

It was enjoyable though, well for me, the first 15-20mins when they spoke to some retired Gardaí and the training and experiences & how things have changed. I enjoyed hearing those stories that were told.

It is available on the rte website if you still wanted to hear it => 1hr 11mins in.

It was rubbish from our point of view. It focused on Templemore as a town trying to cope with the recession, amid the lack of Garda recruits. Locals were interviewed, including owner of Polly's, and GRA man Damien McCarthy. Former Assistant Commisioner (whose name escapes me but he tried to get retirement age raised 2 years ago.. Hickey?) was on too. McCarthy was interviewed for about 2 mins and said the Gardai were in a crisis without recruitment, and that was the most of it. The rest of the show was about local businesses/entrepeneurs and how they are coping in a recession.

It was in the same vein as that 'local heroes' show on tv. Disappointing unfortunately.

You close the only decent thread on this forum because a bunch of begrudging spasticks, yet you set up a thread for them to post freely on.
    I said a year ago to ask people to subscribe to this furom as they do in the football threads to get rid of trolling and instead you have let these arseholes ruin a good thread.
    Its no wonder there is no genuine rumours get passed around on here anymore when you let trolls run free.
    You may just close all the threads cause you closed the only genuine one.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

You close the only decent thread on this forum because a bunch of begrudging spasticks, yet you set up a thread for them to post freely on.
    I said a year ago to ask people to subscribe to this furom as they do in the football threads to get rid of trolling and instead you have let these arseholes ruin a good thread.
    Its no wonder there is no genuine rumours get passed around on here anymore when you let trolls run free.
    You may just close all the threads cause you closed the only genuine one.

That thread was doomed for months and its a pity... People get too emotional on that thread and trolls love that. Was a great thread back in the day.

Especially with one particular poster consistently posting she is leaving boards over the trolls and leaves a long farewell post and then posts again a few days later. It's like a soap drama...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭C-J

As I posted before, i discovered you are unable to delete your account and things were said in the heat of the moment. Why should I or any other regular poster be forced to up sticks because of a few posters remarks? Its getting totally ridiculous and its sad to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Lenn Brennan

Been a while since I posted because of all the messin goin on but I think we can have the good old days of the waiting room back. Seeing as this is the waiting to apply room we should probably start a new thread. If we just let the mods deal with the trolls we can make it work! I myself am guilty of reacting to them in the past but if we all try really hard and think before reacting we could have a great thread again. What do ya think people?? Let's show them all that our great group is still alive and waiting!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭2wsxcde3

Especially with one particular poster consistently posting she is leaving boards over the trolls and leaves a long farewell post and then posts again a few days later. It's like a soap drama...

Hey just found this thread - didn't even know it existed. BTW - cj is a woman? God i didn't know that. Always thought you were a man.
    Anyway i know what you're saying about trolls and they can ruin a good thread. I played no part in the recent shutting down of the waiting room thread. It was practically everyone else BUT me:cool:

@ itsallgood.. I saw your post before it was edited and I sincerely hope your comments were not aimed at me or any of the other genuine posters in here. If a mod had seen your original post, it goes without saying you would've been banned. Not a good thing.

In general, I think you all to need to relax a little bit. People are frustrated which is understandable, but you have to have mental strength. If you throw a wobbler every week and say your done with boards and not coming back, but end up posting within a few days (not just you C-J, there is a few), then ask yourself how you are going to hold up with pressure from the college staff in Templemore? Or how are you going to handle being on a working unit where you're new and not trusted?

Simple answer: Suck it up, don't feed the trolls and relax. Life goes on, recruitment will come.

Also folks, this is the Waiting to Apply thread.. for those waiting to apply ;)

• Advertisement

You know who it was directed at eroo. If you saw my post before reply to then, why try be bitchy posting about what I changed.
    Boards was good at the start but this forum has gone to the dogs. I joined to help others and pass on info which you of all people are aware of. You've gotten awfully petty in the last while.
    Hope all this carry on wasn't in vein and your wait isn't too long.
    Sayonara.

You know who it was directed at eroo. If you saw my post before reply to then, why try be bitchy posting about what I changed.
    Boards was good at the start but this forum has gone to the dogs. I joined to help others and pass on info which you of all people are aware of. You've gotten awfully petty in the last while.
    Hope all this carry on wasn't in vein and your wait isn't too long.
    Sayonara.

I can assure you I'm not petty, and I agree this forum has been on a steady downward spiral. I've made it clear to certain posters here that I didn't like their attitudes in their posts. And I still don't(not you though). People coming on posting 'panel members stay strong' and then 2 days later leaving because they can't put up with some anonymous username on the internet?? Only to come back a few days later and repeat.. you can see how childish and immature that is surely!

I attempted to inject a bit of positivity into this forum a few months back with the fitness thread, and generally ensuring a positive tone. How was that repaid? By being politely told to bog off into a thread for those waiting to apply only.. It showed some members of the panel to be incredibly selfish and bitter in their posting. That move I will not forget.

To finish I think the entire Garda Recruitment forum should be closed until recruitment begins again. It was never intended to solely be a rumour mill, which it now is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭C-J

Been a while since I posted because of all the messin goin on but I think we can have the good old days of the waiting room back. Seeing as this is the waiting to apply room we should probably start a new thread. If we just let the mods deal with the trolls we can make it work! I myself am guilty of reacting to them in the past but if we all try really hard and think before reacting we could have a great thread again. What do ya think people?? Let's show them all that our great group is still alive and waiting!!!!

great post lenn well said :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Back on topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Junkyard Dog

Hi guys I'd just like to say I'm really disappointed, I know I barely even contributed to the thread but I really depended on the waiting room! I'm on the panel and seeing as HQ or the government give us nothing as regards info I think I would have gone insane without it! Personally it was a huge help for me just knowing there was others in the same boat. Its a pity because a few ruined something that more actually needed. It's tough waiting for so long for something you've wanted all your life, it's even tougher waiting alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭2wsxcde3

Can someone confirm or deny this with any degree of certainity?:

If you applied once for the guards but were rejected at the interview stage, do you only have one more chance at passing the interview next time otherwise you become barred from applying for the guards ever again?

Someone told me this was the case. However i've never seen this mentioned in any documentation anywhere. Is it true or false?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭kojack

2wsxcde3 wrote: »
    Can someone confirm or deny this with any degree of certainity?:

If you applied once for the guards but were rejected at the interview stage, do you only have one more chance at passing the interview next time otherwise you become barred from applying for the guards ever again?

Someone told me this was the case. However i've never seen this mentioned in any documentation anywhere. Is it true or false?

Never heard of this either, but more than likely it is false. You do have to wait 6 months from your initial application before you can apply again tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yogi Bear

Hi guys I'd just like to say I'm really disappointed, I know I barely even contributed to the thread but I really depended on the waiting room! I'm on the panel and seeing as HQ or the government give us nothing as regards info I think I would have gone insane without it! Personally it was a huge help for me just knowing there was others in the same boat. Its a pity because a few ruined something that more actually needed. It's tough waiting for so long for something you've wanted all your life, it's even tougher waiting alone.

Was talking to a lad at the weekend. His buddy works in templemore and said that the trainers are studing the new course at moment and hoped there would be an intake in May 12 and Nov 12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jonburk

Was talking to a friend the other day and she said that she was told by a few people in the job that the panels have to be dissolved after a few years , that they are invalid after 4 years .
    Has anybody ever heard anything on this before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭kojack

jonburk wrote: »
    Was talking to a friend the other day and she said that she was told by a few people in the job that the panels have to be dissolved after a few years , that they are invalid after 4 years .
    Has anybody ever heard anything on this before?

Never heard about this, but if it is true the panel is still safe until late 2013 start of 2014. People don't join the panel until everything is completed so I think it was October 2009 when the last group of us did physicals.

Advertisement