Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beast guessing

Options
  • 03-10-2011 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭

Ok here is the idea. I have a creature in mind. (Prehistoric but no further clue on that just yet.)

You guess what it is. Get it right and you can post with a creature.

Guess it with first clue you get five points. Clue two, Three points, clue three, one point. Keep your own score as it is for fun.

Clue 1.

Fossils of this reptile, have mainly been found in England and France.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Allosaur

Judging from whence the question originated and knowing your interest in all things marine.....

I'll go with Liopleurodon ferrox

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Allosaur wrote: »
    Judging from whence the question originated and knowing your interest in all things marine.....

I'll go with Liopleurodon ferrox

I made this too easy didn't I? Mr Five points Allosaur.:pac:

Not really Rubecula. I cheated. I guessed knowing your penchant for fishy things. It was a 50-50 between that and a ichthyosaur and seeing as I know very few Ichty species.....

Now I got to pick a beast......

Just call me rube it is easier to spell Al. :pac:

If I get another chance I think I will have to consider choosing something I don't know myself :pac::pac:

K. My turn.

Proof that Tyrannosaurs were on both sides of the Western Interior Seaway....

• Advertisement

Nothing to do with post codes I assume :pac:

I am not really sure what you want to be totally honest so I will make a wild stab in the dark. (Obviously T.rex itself is not what you are looking for.)

Would it be Dryptosaurus ?

Rubecula wrote: »
    Nothing to do with post codes I assume :pac:

I am not really sure what you want to be totally honest so I will make a wild stab in the dark. (Obviously T.rex itself is not what you are looking for.)

Would it be Daspletosaurus ?
    Nope. He was found in the familiar band along the west side of the interior seaway along with Albert and Gorgo.

The one I'm thinnking of has a distinctly Eastern name. (That was clue #2)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Appalachiosaurus?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Adam Khor wrote: »
    Appalachiosaurus?

I was gonna guess that.

Great thread idea BTW.

Galvasean wrote: »
    I was gonna guess that.

Great thread idea BTW.

Not sure how good the idea is myself, but it seemed a nice way to get folks to search for answers for themselves and perhaps learn something. Well it may work for me anyway:pac:

There used to be a dino named Laelaps I think it was related to Tyrannosaurs. But I am guessing a bit here. ( I did a quick search online... not so quick really...:pac:)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

K. My turn.

Proof that Tyrannosaurs were on both sides of the Western Interior Seaway....

It's not tarbosaurus baator? I remember reading that that was the Asian t rex?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Rubecula wrote: »
    Not sure how good the idea is myself, but it seemed a nice way to get folks to search for answers for themselves and perhaps learn something. Well it may work for me anyway:pac:

There used to be a dino named Laelaps I think it was related to Tyrannosaurs. But I am guessing a bit here. ( I did a quick search online... not so quick really...:pac:)

Laelaps is now Dryptosaurus.

And yes, Tarbosaurus is an eastern Tyrannosaur, but Allosaur's question said Western Interior Sea, which was the shallow sea dividing North America in two halves- therefore, we should think of a North American tyrannosaur that lived in the eastern half.

I would say Appalachiosaurus- Dryptosaurus is seemingly a tyrannosauroid but its remains are way too incomplete to say if it was an actual tyrannosaurid.

Appalachiosaurus?
    That's the bunny

(Appalachains being the mountain chain in Eastern N. America, and some of the most beautiful scenery in the world.);)

yekahS wrote: »
    It's not tarbosaurus baator? I remember reading that that was the Asian t rex?
    Nope. Thats a little too far east.
    T. bataar, IIRC used to be called Tyrannosaurus without the suffix rex.

Laelaps is now Dryptosaurus.

And yes, Tarbosaurus is an eastern Tyrannosaur, but Allosaur's question said Western Interior Sea, which was the shallow sea dividing North America in two halves- therefore, we should think of a North American tyrannosaur that lived in the eastern half.

I would say Appalachiosaurus- Dryptosaurus is seemingly a tyrannosauroid but its remains are way too incomplete to say if it was an actual tyrannosaurid.

Wonderful, I am learning all the time, I didn't know that.
    That's the bunny

(Appalachains being the mountain chain in Eastern N. America, and some of the most beautiful scenery in the world.);)

Well done Adam, I think that is 3 points to you, your turn to pose the question.

Scores so far:
    Al 5
    Adam 3

Nope. Thats a little too far east.
    T. bataar, IIRC used to be called Tyrannosaurus without the suffix rex.

Depends on who you ask. Some insist on calling it tyrannosaurus bataar. Personally, I would tend to agree.

My turn then? :D

Ok. This small dinosaur was once believed to have been aquatic.

Compsognathus?

Correct :D Damn! Too easy. Ur turn :>

This dinosaur once went traveling with Christian Slater.

• Advertisement

This dinosaur once went traveling with Christian Slater.

Pod? XD

Pod? XD

Scientific names only please :P

Scientific names only please :P

Pyroraptor olympius

Ah yeah, I reckon that's five points for you.
    Your turn.

Ok. This time its a non-dinosaur.

This creature is notorious for being one of the first and largest venomous top predators of all time.

Megalania AKA Varanus prisca?

Nope. Think older.

A Therocephalian?

Ooh ooh! Euchambersia!!?

• Advertisement

Haha noo, think bigger.

Advertisement