Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Structures on the moon

Options
  • 29-09-2011 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

Does anyone believe that there is bases / structures on the moon??

they could be alien or man made if its true,here is some video that claims there is bases and giant ufos on the moon and you can clearly see them in many of the photos that have been taken of the moon,they could be old abandoned from centuries ago or they could still be in use by either aliens or us humans

the conspiracy theories go even deeper and say that the aliens working on the moon told the astronauts to get off the moon and never return hence why america never went back, i find all this stuff very interesting, i wouldnt be one to believe it all at face value but you cant deny some testimony that astronauts are giving,them guys are credible sources afaik

Id like to hear some peoples views on this issue

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

CyberJuice wrote: »
    Does anyone believe that there is bases / structures on the moon??

they could be alien or man made if its true,here is some video that claims there is bases and giant ufos on the moon and you can clearly see them in many of the photos that have been taken of the moon,they could be old abandoned from centuries ago or they could still be in use by either aliens or us humans

the conspiracy theories go even deeper and say that the aliens working on the moon told the astronauts to get off the moon and never return hence why america never went back, i find all this stuff very interesting, i wouldnt be one to believe it all at face value but you cant deny some testimony that astronauts are giving,them guys are credible sources afaik

Id like to hear some peoples views on this issue
    That's simply the work of some crank with an overactive imagination not understanding how stuff like Google Moon and constructing large images from mosaics work.

In the first part he sees a random dark smudge likely the result of the image having a flaw or seam in that area.
    And despite it only being an amorphous black smudge, he is able to determine that it is a spaceship of some kind. He's clearly seeing more than is actually there.
    And of course, his "enhancing" the photo using photoshop is just plain silly.
    Didn't watch to the bits with the astronauts or other credible sources, but experience tells me that it's just going to be a lot of out of context quotes.

Personally I like how he's dedicating the film to those in the space program, then goes on to call them all liars and accuses them of withholding information.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Wow - conclusive proof there - smudges exist on the moon!

Why would a humanoid the size of a city working on some type of machine 10 times the size of a city choose to be on a barren, airless, lifeless small almost insignificant piece of galactic real estate?

Please consign this to the conspiracy forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

yes there are artificial structure on the moon

whether they are alien - or more likely ancient human sructures from a lost civilisation is the debatable part.

i would suggest the latter .

the easiest one to visualise is the south massif of taurus littrow

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/lunar/missions/apollo/apollo_17/images/hi_res_vert_lg.gif

the hexagonal structure at bottom left - would you consider this natural - i dont think so .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The whole aliens telling us to piss off away from the moon doesn't even support reality. Just because no one has stepped foot on the moon since the Apollo missions doesn't mean man hasn't been back to the moon.

http://planetary.org/explore/topics/the_moon/missions.html

Also, LRO is giving high res images of the moon which will show there are no structures in there. Why would aliens choose to live there anyways?

alphabeat wrote: »

whether they are alien - or more likely ancient human sructures from a lost civilisation is the debatable part.

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/lunar/missions/apollo/apollo_17/images/hi_res_vert_lg.gif

the hexagonal structure at bottom left - would you consider this natural - i dont think so .
    But it's not a hexagon and none of the sides are even or equal.

It looks like an oddly shaped crater.

What leads you to believe that this was created by aliens or ancient space men or any other equally silly explanations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭emo72

I'm looking, and wanting to see. But I can't see anything. Looked all over that image and couldn't see a thing. Is that the best you can offer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

Looks almost like theres a pyramid up on the top left, just to the right of the North marker

Ive seen many images of the moon and you can clearly see towers of some sort rising up into the sky,what would the explanation for this be and also the domes,whats the explanation for the domes,or are the domes just craters

In that documentary the guy explains the aliens are on the moon possibly just using it as a base to rest or to mine it for materials,there have been many reports that the moon is hollow and there is aliens living inside it just like as it if was a big death star lol.many of the craters even nasa have said go down and down and down and there is no bottom in sight so there could be some hollow part in there..

I think it is highly possible that the technology does exist to make bases on the moon,wether they have allready done it or not is anyones guess..
    If they can have astronauts living on a space station for months at a time then you could easilt live on the moon for months at a time,isnt this the next step from living on a spacestation,lets just put the men on a planitary object instead and have them go around mining and doin all sorts of surveys

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It certainly should be possible and within our technological limits to build a station on the moon although it would cost an absolute fortune (the ISS has cost over $110 billion). Doing all this in secret without the public at large finding out is a different story. Why would any government do something like this in secret?

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

im not entirely sure why the goverments do alot of things but one guess i would make is that for the strategic military advantage of having weapons and people on the moon,you would basically control the sky and the space around the earth

and if a government would be building a base up there im sure that countries military would want to get involved and invest in it

its no secret that we are running out of space and resources down here,is it unlikely that in 1000 years or so we will have colonies living on the moon or mars or even other planets outside our own solar system with breathable atmospheres similar to earth,its the next step,we cannot control the rate population is increasing,theres allready too many people living here

There could very well allready be a few domes up on the moon with scientists and other type of people assessing how viable it is to put people up there long term

We are gonna be living like in that movie total recall before long ,watch this space lmao

CyberJuice wrote: »
    im not entirely sure why the goverments do alot of things but one guess i would make is that for the strategic military advantage of having weapons and people on the moon,you would basically control the sky and the space around the earth

and if a government would be building a base up there im sure that countries military would want to get involved and invest in it

its no secret that we are running out of space and resources down here,is it unlikely that in 1000 years or so we will have colonies living on the moon or mars or even other planets outside our own solar system with breathable atmospheres similar to earth,its the next step,we cannot control the rate population is increasing,theres allready too many people living here

There could very well allready be a few domes up on the moon with scientists and other type of people assessing how viable it is to put people up there long term

We are gonna be living like in that movie total recall before long ,watch this space lmao

The moon is a pretty terrible place for a moon base. You can't attack your enemies from it, or at least not very easily. A military base in orbit would be much better. A moon base would only be much good as a colony in case something happened to your country but a base in space is far too reliant on earth for re-supplies for that. I'd say if any country had moon bases, they'd be screaming and shouting about it. Even if they weren't there would be more evidence than a few blurry photos. The regular stream of rockets that would be needed to re-supply that base would be a bit of a giveaway as would the amount of rockets that would have went their just to build the place. Look at how long and how many shuttle missions it took to built the ISS and that was in LEO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The moon is a pretty terrible place for a moon base.

Sure where else could you build it and still call it a moon base.:D That's like saying the beach is a terrible place to build a beach house.

Sure where else could you build it and still call it a moon base.:D That's like saying the beach is a terrible place to build a beach house.

The sun, at least the weather would be better. :) Meant to say military base.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Not much point in debating with people who believe this rubbish.

http://youarenotsosmart.com/2011/06/10/the-backfire-effect/
    The Misconception: When your beliefs are challenged with facts, you alter your opinions and incorporate the new information into your thinking.

The Truth: When your deepest convictions are challenged by contradictory evidence, your beliefs get stronger.

King Mob wrote: »
    But it's not a hexagon and none of the sides are even or equal.

It looks like an oddly shaped crater.

What leads you to believe that this was created by aliens or ancient space men or any other equally silly explanations?

who says it has to be an equal hexagon ?

its a huge hexagonal shaped structure - approx 6 miles high and 10 by 5 in area

some of the edges are blurred due to loose material
    but it is obviously not natural .

i would have been sceptical enough , but this mountain is obviously not natural .

here is a clearer view from keith laneys site .

http://www.keithlaney.net/Ahiddenmission/as17-m-1218crop.jpg

who says it has to be an equal hexagon ?
    So they built an irregular hexagon that doesn't have straight or equal edges?
    its a huge hexagonal shaped structure - approx 6 miles high and 10 by 5 in area
    And what exactly are you basing this measurements on?
    some of the edges are blurred due to loose material
    but it is obviously not natural .

Why exactly are they blurred?
    i would have been sceptical enough , but this mountain is obviously not natural .

here is a clearer view from keith laneys site .

http://www.keithlaney.net/Ahiddenmission/as17-m-1218crop.jpg
    Are you serious? It looks absolutely indistinguishable from the rest of the landscape.

What exactly about it shows that it's obviously not natural?
    It's vague hexagonal shape?

its not irregular, it is a compressed ( ie more rectiliner ) hexagon shape
    not an equal sided hexagon.

the measurements are based on NASA estimates of the 'mountains' size
    but of course if you had truly looked at the photos you would see the 2KM measure line

the blurring is the same as some pyramids in egypt become a little and softend and less sharply defined due to debris , avalanche , etc - or meteorite erosion in the moons case -

if you cannot see it in those pictures im surprised
    its as obvious as the nose on your face .

i am guessing you didn't even look .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

but of course if you had truly looked at the photos you would see the 2KM measure line

the blurring is the same as some pyramids in egypt become a little and softend and less sharply defined due to debris , avalanche , etc - or meteorite erosion in the moons case -

This is called Apophenia. Essentially your brain is trying to see something meaningful in random stimuli. That terrain looks completely natural to me but Apophenia is an amazing thing in particular where there is a bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭clever_name

You seem very sure of this, can you explain why exactly? What evidence do you have?

Do you have any evidence of a lost civilisation capable of space travel?

Also are there any structures on Earth you would consider were built by the same people?

To me nothing stands out about that image.

but it is irregular. None of the sides are straight or equal: the definition of irregular.
    So then why are you trusting NASA's data all of a sudden now?
    So then if it's just being eroded why is it's texture, colouring and makeup exactly the same as the rest of it's surroundings?

And I did look at the picture, I can't see a sane reason to think it's an artificial construct.
    Hence why I'm asking you why you think it is.
    The only reason you've given so far is silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

None of the data that's been returned from the Moon from the USSR or USA or even from the recent Japanese mission suggests any artificial structures. Anything that's remotely possible to be anthropogenic, it's been discounted by sensors operating in non-visual wavelengths.
    Given that the moon has been mapped to less than 100m resolution by the Japanese ( and the data is freely available and usable with 'Virtual Moon', a software package done by the same French guy that did Cartes du Ciel - worth a look!) it's no longer a matter of choosing whether or not to trust NASA, but a matter of accepting that in the light of overwhelming and independent evidence, that the only artificial structures are the various moon probes and the remnants of the Apollo program still left on the moon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

The North of that "structure" is clearly round (it's even more obvious in the second photo you posted of the larger area). And the top portion of it has been blown off by a meteorite hit (you can see the impact zone on the left hand side of it).

And for the argument that because it's hexagonal means that it must be artificial, I give you the Giant's Causeway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,545 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Perhaps there are structures on the moon.
    Conventional logic would suggest there's not and using google moon as evidence to suggest there are structures on the moons surface isn't exactly going to convince anyone otherwise.
    However all the smart arses here using (albeit quite fairly) conventional logic to dismiss the idea of structures on the moon have to remember that although conventional logic dictates that the idea is laughable we can't conclusively say that there are no structures on the moon. Sadly we can't all jump in a spaceship and take a trip up there and say "look no structures I told you so".
    So due to the fact that neither side if this argument can give a completely iron clad answer to this question...perhaps there are structures on the moon.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Which, sadly, is about as useful a statement as "perhaps Amelia Earhart's plane is on the moon"

While a perfectly valid statement, it suffers the same flaw as the structures premise - the burden of proof is with the person making the claim, be it of moon based structures or famous aeroplanes, and without that burden being met then people are perfectly valid in rejecting the idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Since nobody has mentioned it, this thread has been moved from the astronomy forum where we discuss science, so could you please stop reporting my post which is not against the charter over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭clever_name

nullzero wrote: »
    Perhaps there are structures on the moon.
    Conventional logic would suggest there's not and using google moon as evidence to suggest there are structures on the moons surface isn't exactly going to convince anyone otherwise.
    However all the smart arses here using (albeit quite fairly) conventional logic to dismiss the idea of structures on the moon have to remember that although conventional logic dictates that the idea is laughable we can't conclusively say that there are no structures on the moon. Sadly we can't all jump in a spaceship and take a trip up there and say "look no structures I told you so".
    So due to the fact that neither side if this argument can give a completely iron clad answer to this question...perhaps there are structures on the moon.

Being honest I think that its unfair to call someone a smart arse for using logic, now at the risk of being even more of a smart arse let me take a look at the logic in your post.

OK perhaps there are structures on the moon. All evidence and basic logic indicate that this is not the case but lets say that there is no "iron clad answer".

So perhaps there are mermaids at the bottom of the sea?, perhaps vampires exist? - logic and evidence would indicate these are not true, but... perhaps?

Being honest I think that its unfair to call someone a smart arse for using logic, now at the risk of being even more of a smart arse let me take a look at the logic in your post.

OK perhaps there are structures on the moon. All evidence and basic logic indicate that this is not the case but lets say that there is no "iron clad answer".

So perhaps there are mermaids at the bottom of the sea?, perhaps vampires exist? - logic and evidence would indicate these are not true, but... perhaps?

I personally dont think the images the OP is discussing are evidence of structures on the moon. If I'm being honest I doubt there are any structures on the moon, I reach that conclusion by using conventional logic.
    Now It is possible that structures do exist on the moon, or mermaids at the bottom of the ocean or indeed vampires. My position is that I'd need some pretty good proof to start believing in such things, however I would be exceptionally arrogant to assume that these things cannot exist in any circumstance because of what I believe.

The sceptics on this forum are an odd bunch really.
    So quick to storm in stating the bleeding obvious about these topics when anyone reading the threads can draw these conclusions for themselves.

I fvcking well agree with all of you sceptics on this one, I merely stated that there is a possibilty that we could be wrong as there is no evidence one way or the other. Seeing you're all so partial to stating the obvious I thought I'd join in, you know, try to be one of the cool kids. Maybe I should have insulted the OP as well, was that where I fell down?

I never called anyone a smart arse for using logic, I pointed out the under lying theme of condescension that had gone previously in the thread, and which seems to be a staple of most replies from sceptics on this forum.
    God forbid somebody might believe in something strange, surely someone should set them straight and save humanity from the horrible future it would surely have should a few people believe in some weird stuff without good reason.

CT forum sceptics will never miss a good opportunity to say "No, you're wrong".

Glazers Out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

I personally dont think the images the OP is discussing are evidence of structures on the moon. If I'm being honest I doubt there are any structures on the moon, I reach that conclusion by using conventional logic.
    Now It is possible that structures do exist on the moon, or mermaids at the bottom of the ocean or indeed vampires. My position is that I'd need some pretty good proof to start believing in such things, however I would be exceptionally arrogant to assume that these things cannot exist in any circumstance because of what I believe.

The sceptics on this forum are an odd bunch really.
    So quick to storm in stating the bleeding obvious about these topics when anyone reading the threads can draw these conclusions for themselves.

I fvcking well agree with all of you sceptics on this one, I merely stated that there is a possibilty that we could be wrong as there is no evidence one way or the other. Seeing you're all so partial to stating the obvious I thought I'd join in, you know, try to be one of the cool kids. Maybe I should have insulted the OP as well, was that where I fell down?

I never called anyone a smart arse for using logic, I pointed out the under lying theme of condescension that had gone previously in the thread, and which seems to be a staple of most replies from sceptics on this forum.
    God forbid somebody might believe in something strange, surely someone should set them straight and save humanity from the horrible future it would surely have should a few people believe in some weird stuff without good reason.

CT forum sceptics will never miss a good opportunity to say "No, you're wrong".

Its a discussion forum. The OP wanted to discuss the possibility of structures on the moon. People came and pointed out why its a pretty absurd notion, they didn't 'make fun of the OP'. No need to get your knickers in a twist.

yekahS wrote: »
    Its a discussion forum. The OP wanted to discuss the possibility of structures on the moon. People came and pointed out why its a pretty absurd notion, they didn't 'make fun of the OP'. No need to get your knickers in a twist.

Indeed, but the discussion always end up being the same people stating the obvious and being pious.
    As you said it's a discussion forum, its just a pity the discussion is so poor.
    And my undergarments (albeit none of your business) are completely twist free thanks.

I never pointed out an instance of anyone in this thread making fun of the OP, I was making reference to the wider forum, from past experience.

Glazers Out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Indeed, but the discussion always end up being the same people stating the obvious and being pious.
    As you said it's a discussion forum, its just a pity the discussion is so poor.
    And my undergarments (albeit none of your business) are completely twist free thanks.

I never pointed out an instance of anyone in this thread making fun of the OP, I was making reference to the wider forum, from past experience.

So as per usual you've nothing to add to the discussion other than your well worn 'The Skeptics on this forum aren't very nice' argument.

I realise that I'm guilty of going OT now too, I can't help myself sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,402 ✭✭✭✭Penn

And you don't think dragging up the past will do the exact same thing you're complaining about?

Back on topic please folks. We have a feedback thread for discussions about the forum in general. Feel free to use it.

Advertisement