Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NUIM Student's Union

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

yuppy700 wrote: »
    And whats wrong with something like wordpress or joomla for the time being :confused: It's like a 30 minute job . maybe a bit longer if you are picky about the theme.

I take it you've never tried to put together a half decent wordpress site. Even when using good premium themes it can still take a good while to get things the way you need them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭yuppy700

megaten wrote: »
    I take it you've never tried to put together a half decent wordpress site. Even when using good premium themes it can still take a good while to get things the way you need them.

My friend in UL set this up today in 20 minutes. I think it is half decent

http://skynet.ie/~red_/rod/

he is using wordpress :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭oldbie

The best thing is to do the research and be prepared to put the resources i.e. money in.

View other SUs and similar organisations websites, find out who their providers/hosts/creators are. Ring/meet informally with other Union heads and ask their advice on the service level they recieve.

Systems with user-friendly content management system GUI's mean the burden of updating can be easily shared by muliple users, with the requirement of service provider support limited to structural changes.

Load the tender with everything you envisage the site requiring and leave wiggle room from the servicing of broader structural changes. If anyone will give you a look at their hosting agreement this would be a huge help obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Thinking of hiring this guy. Seems pretty kitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Gotta have lightsabers on the SU website!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cbernstein

oldbie wrote: »
    What in the name of God is going on with NUIMSU.

The website has been as good as inactive/down for two years now. I have e-mailed the president(s) about 10 times over the course of a year and a half on a riduculously simple issue with completely unsatisfactory results. (i.e minimal progressing to zero response) Can anyone shed some light on this.
    Is it not the Communication Officers job to get the SU website up and running. Certainly when I was around it was part of their duties under the constitution!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

The website falls under what is now the VP for Services, Events and Communications Keith Broni's remit. I'm handling the technical and financial aspects of the tender; the content will be a group effort (this is gonna be a fun week) with myself and Broni (more Broni, in fairness) working more on the design. In theory. In reality everything is a group effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 sionnachrua

The one thing I was going to say about the SU was the lack of information on the south campus. There was an election last year that I knew nothing about. Wouldn't mind but they were campaigning for like a week. I couldn't find an email address anywhere to contact them to complain, so I just left a lame message on their facebook page, and no one ever responded to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

South Campus is the forgotten wasteland :( There does be postering done outside Callan Hall, Aula, etc, but if you're in Logic or Rhetoric you might as well be on another planet.

To be fair, there's nowhere in Logic that you're allowed to put up posters...

• Advertisement

That explains why we never seen a copy of the paper last year bar the first one then.

That's a fair point. Did you get copies of the newest edition of the Print? Came out on what, Wednesday? Thursday?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭BuroniKiisu

Issues of Volume 3, Issue 1 were placed in the red magazine rack in Logic House, the top of Pugin Hall, the tables outside of Lower Loftus, the entrance to Humanity House and the International Student office within Humanity House.

If anyone has further suggestions to where issues could be placed on the South campus, please e-mail vpsec@nuimsu.com.

Top Logic, table outside Maths Dept office. Never seen a magazine rack in logic, what magazines would be in it??

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭BuroniKiisu

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Top Logic, table outside Maths Dept office. Never seen a magazine rack in logic, what magazines would be in it??

It was hidden behind the main entrance to the building. I rolled it out and placed it beside the vending machines, unceremoniously stuffing issues of The Print into it I've seen it around the ground floor of Logic each of my few visits to the building, but I've honestly never actually seen anything in it. Until Thursday, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

There's a few but they're mainly for Departmental brochures etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 sionnachrua

Have people asked about somewhere to post in Logic or is it just not allowed? If you've tried like, I wouldn't hold it against ye, though the website would be nice up and running if we have no other way of finding out stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

Well SU stuff is no problem, I put a few prints upstairs beside the music office before. But people posting selling history or geography books there's really no point, predominantly music and maths things get tolerated there.

Advertisement