Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NUIM Student's Union

Options
  • 29-09-2011 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

What in the name of God is going on with NUIMSU.

The website has been as good as inactive/down for two years now. I have e-mailed the president(s) about 10 times over the course of a year and a half on a riduculously simple issue with completely unsatisfactory results. (i.e minimal progressing to zero response) Can anyone shed some light on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

NUIMSU.com is "Under Construction" it says,

It still has links to the MSU Constitution and email login.
    I mean what information could possibly be needed on an SU site anyway?

Other then contact details, postal addresses and some welfare information.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭oldbie

Alt_Grrr wrote: »
    NUIMSU.com is "Under Construction" it says,

It still has links to the MSU Constitution and email login.
    I mean what information could possibly be needed on an SU site anyway?

Other then contact details, postal addresses and some welfare information.

I'm assuming you're being sarcastic. Try this on for size.

http://www.su.nuigalway.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

As mentioned in I can haz general discussion,
    banquo wrote: »
    It's out to tender. Should be an ad in the papers either at the end of this week or start of next week.

oldbie wrote: »
    I'm assuming you're being sarcastic.

I'm being serious, the SU doesn't have a functioning website and yet somehow the world continues to turn.

On the priorities list, I'd imagine its pretty low.

Errrm...perhaps you've been fortunate enough to have actually never needed the Union but there are other's who might disagree with you.

As regards the absence of a functional website for over a year? I don't see why that would be low on the Union's priority list? It is then it shouldn't be. An organisation with over 7,000 fee-paying members should at the absolute bare minimum at least be able to provide a functional website with contact details.

It's good to hear that progress is now at least being made but this should have been sorted long before the new academic year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

But the website, while it's under construction, has a link to the facebook page, which does have contact details...?
    And in all honesty, the Union couldn't fix the website until the new constitution came in, and surely the first few months that the exec are in office are the hardest, as shouldn't >everything< be done before the start of the college year?
    In terms of information, the website is clearly lacking, but it does point you to where you can get the necessary information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

If you need to get in touch with the SU that badly, they do have offices on campus you know.

The whole point of having a website, email and phone numbers is that people don't have to physically visit the Union, thereby allowing the officers to serve a far greater number of students much more efficiently.

There are loads of possible problems/complaints/contributions that don't necessitate a visit to the Union.

This thread was not intended to be exclusively about the website, but also to enquire as to whether there was some other reason for the sporadic and poor communication from the Union over the last 12 months.

Also, there are students who are not based on campus and a pop into the Union isn't possible.

This thread was not intended to be exclusively about the website,
    What in the name of God is going on with NUIMSU.

The website has been as good as inactive/down for two years now. I have e-mailed the president(s) about 10 times over the course of a year and a half on a riduculously simple issue with completely unsatisfactory results. (i.e minimal progressing to zero response) Can anyone shed some light on this.

In future please make your intentions clear in the original post so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

To be honest lads, you're defending the indefensible. Saying the SU doesn't really need a website is a bit silly no?

• Advertisement

In future please make your intentions clear in the original post so.

Fair enough, but it was hardly cryptic. The issue i was e-mailing about was not about the website.

I have e-mailed the president(s) about 10 times over the course of a year and a half on a riduculously simple issue with completely unsatisfactory results. (i.e minimal progressing to zero response) Can anyone shed some light on this.

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    To be honest lads, you're defending the indefensible. Saying the SU doesn't really need a website is a bit silly no?

I'm not saying that the SU doesn't need some online presence, which it has, but really the website is hardly the most important part of the whole organization.

Fair enough, but it was hardly cryptic. The issue i was e-mailing about was not about the website.

It comes across as being a problem with the site (or lack there of)
    Maybe if you ask boards about your issue, the lovely boardsies might be of assistance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

The SU is very poor at informing people of what is going on on campus. For example it was only when I wandered over to North Campus on Tuesday that I first seen anything about Fairs Day, nothing on the net about it. I'm based on the South Campus and I'd like to be able to just go onto the website and see exactly what's happening and where it's taking place, whcih I can't do.

I'm not saying that the SU doesn't need some online presence, which it has, but really the website is hardly the most important part of the whole organization.

I would submit that it is THE most important part of the organisation in terms of basic communication. It's the professional face of the Union. The point source of information for 7,000+ members. How can you expect to be taken seriously as an organisation without fulfilling even the most basic of requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

To be fair, I see where you're coming from OP. If it weren't for the large amount of time I spend online (especially here), I wouldn't have a notion what was going on in the SU either.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭shabouwcaw

ah now lads, when you consider it's early on in the year and the bedding in period in a semester, I think it's really unfair to start pointing fingers and blaming people for what is merely an administrative oversight probably.

while it is obviously important that information be spread in as accesssible way as possible, what is equally as important is that the Students' Union gets a chance to start actually doing their students union job without wasting their capital on defending themselves from attacks on from the off.

it's typical negative thinking to be constantly pointing out flaws and harping on about problems rather than trying to be constructive. why don't one of you here offer to make a website for them, a simple joomla or wordpress site would do, while something more bespoke was created.

Peace out.
    Shabby<3

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

There's a limited amount of information I can say about it, but I'll say what I can here.

Three years ago: A student makes nuimsu.com, but moves on to other things, new SU folk can't figure website out.

Two years ago: Nothing happens.

Last year: I was VP Comms. In trying to set up a website, the biggest problem was the network restrictions that made it impossible for me to FTP stuff up and down from my office on campus. So I installed a wordpress theme ('Zenko', if anyone wants to google it. Also used by the Irish Echo newspaper) from my mother's aging laptop back in Dublin. Think I was in office four days or something when I did it.

The FTP issue - the only way a non-nerdy mortal can conveniently update a website a few times a day without wanting to kill yourself - was fixed in conjunction with the Computer Centre. This was pretty complex and took a few goes to get right, but they were actually pretty helpful (there was a few days when I had FTP access, but everything I printed came out of a printer in the medical centre. No, really!) I think it was fixed around February.

By February there were a number of ongoing issues that I can't discuss publicly, but I'd said in my manifesto that I'd make but a bulletin board online for buying and selling books, laptops, grinds, etc. With the magnificent help of Alt_Grrr, we made market.nuimsu.com, which we'll be pushing over the next two weeks.

And now, from next week there will be ads in various newspapers (can't promise what day yet) for our tender for web designers. I have spoken to a number of companies who we think are pretty good (no "I have a friend who makes websites" stuff.) We'll also have a thread here, a google doc form and and bunch of other ways for students to make suggestions for the site.

Short answer: our current timeline is 1-2 months.

And Qs or anything confusing let me know. And yes, it's frustrating. And you can be sure that if it annoys you, it annoys us 10 times more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭yuppy700

shabouwcaw wrote: »
    ah now lads, when you consider it's early on in the year and the bedding in period in a semester, I think it's really unfair to start pointing fingers and blaming people for what is merely an administrative oversight probably.

while it is obviously important that information be spread in as accesssible way as possible, what is equally as important is that the Students' Union gets a chance to start actually doing their students union job without wasting their capital on defending themselves from attacks on from the off.

it's typical negative thinking to be constantly pointing out flaws and harping on about problems rather than trying to be constructive. why don't one of you here offer to make a website for them, a simple joomla or wordpress site would do, while something more bespoke was created.

Peace out.
    Shabby<3

hold on a second

Just because it is the start of the academic year is no excuse for this kind of thing. The SU is meant to be working all summer. Not having information accessible to the students makes the whole thing nothing but a farce.

In fairness, we haven't had a functioning website in 3 years. People have every right to complain. I did, vociferously.

Give us a couple of months.

• Advertisement

(Feel free to ask anything else about the Union / projects / plans in this thread too btw)

There's a limited amount of information I can say about it, but I'll say what I can here.

Three years ago: A student makes nuimsu.com, but moves on to other things, new SU folk can't figure website out.

Last year: I was VP Comms. In trying to set up a website, the biggest problem was the network restrictions that made it impossible for me to FTP stuff up and down from my office on campus. So I installed a wordpress theme ('Zenko', if anyone wants to google it. Also used by the Irish Echo newspaper) from my mother's aging laptop back in Dublin. Think I was in office four days or something when I did it.

The FTP issue - the only way a non-nerdy mortal can conveniently update a website a few times a day without wanting to kill yourself - was fixed in conjunction with the Computer Centre. This was pretty complex and took a few goes to get right, but they were actually pretty helpful (there was a few days when I had FTP access, but everything I printed came out of a printer in the medical centre. No, really!) I think it was fixed around February.

By February there were a number of ongoing issues that I can't discuss publicly, but I'd said in my manifesto that I'd make but a bulletin board online for buying and selling books, laptops, grinds, etc. With the magnificent help of Alt_Grrr, we made market.nuimsu.com, which we'll be pushing over the next two weeks.

And now, from next week there will be ads in various newspapers (can't promise what day yet) for our tender for web designers. I have spoken to a number of companies who we think are pretty good (no "I have a friend who makes websites" stuff.) We'll also have a thread here, a google doc form and and bunch of other ways for students to make suggestions for the site.

And Qs or anything confusing let me know. And yes, it's frustrating. And you can be sure that if it annoys you, it annoys us 10 times more.

Bingo. This is sort of practical no-nonsense factual and honest answers required on a regular basis

Glad to help! Any other questions? I'm here for a while yet.

Yes but not for general public consumption :D

P.s It might be worth your while adding a sig to your posts to let people know who you are and what you position is in the Union. Those in the know know but those not in the know do not! :)

Meh, it's in my sig already. I should probably be using the official MaynoothSU account for these kind of questions anyway!

2 months.......seriously :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

yuppy700 wrote: »
    2 months.......seriously :confused:

Have you ever tried to make a decent website? I think that's more than reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭BuroniKiisu

+1.

Have you ever tried to make a decent website? I think that's more than reasonable.

And whats wrong with something like wordpress or joomla for the time being :confused: It's like a 30 minute job . maybe a bit longer if you are picky about the theme.

• Advertisement

Ah, it's tricky enough. I had a Wordpress theme before and, while some of the paid ones are superb, you really need a customised CMS. (I'm a huge Wordpress fan btw, my favorite Wordpress designer is a guy called Abban Dunne). Also people would keep complaining that the site keeps changing. But a temporary contacts page is probably a good idea, I'll see if I can find time over the next few days (BuroniKisu is really the website guy this year btw)

It also allows you to really get down to the knitty gritty of typography, etc.

The site needs some functionality that Wordpress just can't do well. It's been years, so I figure it's worth a few months doing it really, really well.

Advertisement