Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Up Coming BA - new Amazon Kindle & Kindle Fire tablet

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Zab wrote: »
    I can't tell for sure but I don't see volume controls in the pictures and I'm not sure if you can use them to change the page on a kindle anyway. I was wondering if you were going to have to touch the screen to change the pages when I first saw the thing. Seems odd but I'd have to try it I guess. The buttons they have on the side these days are so small though that they could have just included them. I will say that I often find myself holding the kindle along its top where there aren't any buttons so it could be handy in that regard.

There are no hardware buttons on the Fire apart from the power on/off button so you would need to use touchscreen to change page/ adjust volume

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

neacy69 wrote: »
    There are no hardware buttons on the Fire apart from the power on/off button so you would need to use touchscreen to change page/ adjust volume

I was referring to the Kindle Touch rather than the Fire, although I think the same applies.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Yep, only the new base (non-touch) model of the new keyboard-less Kindles now has side buttons.

Ironically making it the most desirable of the range, imo. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I don't understand why we have to purchase a Kindle from the US Amazon Store, and not the UK one? It works out better with the exchange rate, but why are Amazon enforcing this?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

No SD card slot. (probably already mentioned)

Mind boggling really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

jayteecork wrote: »
    No SD card slot. (probably already mentioned)

Mind boggling really.
    It does seem like an odd omission to me too but you have to think about how they are making this so cheap in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Interesting article on it on Android Police.

A lot of sense there - it's not really aimed at Android fans, more at Amazon fans. And there are lots of them. We'd be missing a lot of the best bits in Europe though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Dman001 wrote: »
    I don't understand why we have to purchase a Kindle from the US Amazon Store, and not the UK one? It works out better with the exchange rate, but why are Amazon enforcing this?
    they blame copyright issues on their refusal to sell them from the U.K site to us.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I think the $79 Kindle is a definite bargain, I bought herself a Kindle 3 for Xmas and it's used every day, for anyone with mates in the US that's a steal for a quality e-reader

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Would anybody else pay $30 to be ad free?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭crystallove

amazon is so great, they will lead the tablet to a new century。。。
    I like this kindle fire very much。。。

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

Ok so I bought the new Kindle basic last Wednesday. Got it last Friday. Have to say excellent piece of kit.

Was waiting for this since my last Kindle was stolen on a Ryanair filght.

By the way if you want to buy it in Ireland from Amazon.com it will cost you €120 for the non touch basic version (the only one actually released last Wednesday).

Just to clarify the $79 version is the ad supported version and is not available outside the US. You pay $109 + approx $40 for import taxes and shipping.

That's good info, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭jamesd

Ok so I bought the new Kindle basic last Wednesday. Got it last Friday. Have to say excellent piece of kit.

By the way if you want to buy it in Ireland from Amazon.com it will cost you €120 for the non touch basic version (the only one actually released last Wednesday).

Just to clarify the $79 version is the ad supported version and is not available outside the US. You pay $109 + approx $40 for import taxes and shipping.

Did you go 3G with it? I am going to get one for my otherhalf but was just going to go wifi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

jamesd wrote: »

Did you go 3G with it? I am going to get one for my otherhalf but was just going to go wifi.
    The older 3G model I have has gone down to 139 dollars or so on the site

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

PC World yesterday had the old wifi kindle for €129, and the old 3G kindle for €179 (dropped from €149 and €199). These seem alot more attractive to me than the new versions they just released.

jamesd wrote: »

The basic version has no option for 3G, only WiFi. You would have to wait for the Touch version (21st November).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Is that the one without the keyboard? Has the web browser improved any? I know it was only for downloading books really, but the one on my old one was very, very poor.

Is that the one without the keyboard? Has the web browser improved any? I know it was only for downloading books really, but the one on my old one was very, very poor.

No keyboard, there is an on screen virtual keyboard which you use the direction pad to navigate. A bit tedious but I only use it to type in the wireless key.
    The web browser is not good, same as before I think but I don’t use it so I don’t really know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

No keyboard, there is an on screen virtual keyboard which you use the direction pad to navigate. A bit tedious but I only use it to type in the wireless key.
    The web browser is not good, same as before I think but I don’t use it so I don’t really know.

Yeah, it was crap.

Just from the sites there the third generation costs more then the new version without the keyboard. I feel a bit robbed now because i bought my kindle only a few months ago. Could have saved about 80 squid on it, oh well!

Just to note that the new basic Kindle does not have any audio capabilities. So no text to speech, auodi books or MP3.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Apparently the 3g kindles in the new generation have no web browsing capabilities over 3g. The browser can only be used on WiFi, which is a major drawback IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

TPD wrote: »
    Apparently the 3g kindles in the new generation have no web browsing capabilities over 3g. The browser can only be used on WiFi, which is a major drawback IMO.

well spotted - and not easy to cop looking at the website:

Experimental Features
    WebKit-Based Browser
    Kindle Touch 3G's experimental web browser is based on WebKit. It's easy to find the information you're looking for right from your Kindle Touch 3G. Experimental web browsing is available via Wi-Fi.

Per a spokesman from Amazon on a pcworld.com page:

"Our new Kindle Touch 3G enables you to connect to the Kindle Store, download books and periodicals, and access Wikipedia--all over 3G or Wi-Fi," an Amazon "official" explained in one of its customer forums.

"Experimental web browsing (outside of Wikipedia) on Kindle Touch 3G is only available over Wi-Fi," the official wrote, but added, "Our Kindle Keyboard 3G will continue to offer experimental web browsing over 3G or Wi-Fi."

On that basis I'm quite happy with my current Kindle!

Advertisement