Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Up Coming BA - new Amazon Kindle & Kindle Fire tablet

Options
  • 28-09-2011 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

Amazon announced some new kindles today but what really caught me eye was a new tablet kindle running android for an amazing for $199. These devices are not available yet but you can pre-register. Don’t know if you will be able to purchase them from amazon.com. The .co.uk website only mentions the new kindle but not the wildfire.

Details are on the front page of the .com & .co.uk sites..
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭celj

All boardsies that didn't get a HP Touchpad should email them asking for a discount on this.
    FNAC gave us €100 voucher for messing us around,Amazon should do us a favour now!
    I'm going to email them now!

EDIT:They are only selling the Fire tablet in the states for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Svetti Arss

If I remember rightly thats what happened with the last kindle - released stateside first and UK a few weeks (Or Months) after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

We can only buy the kindle from their U.S site:( so hopefully the kindle fire will be available to us from U.K site whenever it goes on sale

Not correct. I had my kindle delivered to a relative in the UK and forwarded on. My registered address with amazon.co.uk is and always has been in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

I looked this up a few weeks ago when the specs came out.

I don't remember the website but I do remember being fairly underwhelmed by the specs compared to fully fledged android tablets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

It's a good price $199 (€150 approx).

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

That'll be €200 at least here.

Still good though, the compuB store in Cork sells 64GB ipad2 for €799! lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭emo72

only 512 ram and 8 gig storage with NO sd card slot and no camera and only running 2.1 android. Honestly its a little underwhelming. But if 199 dollars translates into 150 euro and we can root it and update it, then, maybe it will be value

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

jayteecork wrote: »
    That'll be €200 at least here.

Still good though, the compuB store in Cork sells 64GB ipad2 for €799! lol.

that's 8 times the storage at only 4 times the price, total bargain....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

emo72 wrote: »
    only 512 ram and 8 gig storage with NO sd card slot and no camera and only running 2.1 android. Honestly its a little underwhelming. But if 199 dollars translates into 150 euro and we can root it and update it, then, maybe it will be value

It seems to be designed purely for streaming data. Near enough all the data, movies, music etc, are streamed to it. The 8gb is for games, books etc which would be plenty... Nice device to have around the house, gonna get one for the missus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Anyone know if it will play flash?

Or if it's going to be locked down to amazon proprietary formats as the Kindle is with it's ebooks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Keith186 wrote: »
    I looked this up a few weeks ago when the specs came out.

I don't remember the website but I do remember being fairly underwhelmed by the specs compared to fully fledged android tablets.

the good:
    ti IMAP 4 dual core system, 512mb of ram, gorilla glass multi-touch, IPs screen 1024x600, silk browser could be fab or a flop, those are good specs for the price

the bad:
    8gb storage, no camera, no sdcard

Anyone know if it will play flash?

Or if it's going to be locked down to amazon proprietary formats as the Kindle is with it's ebooks?
    The Kindle is not locked down you can view pdf and mobi ebooks on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,375 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No 3g version yet. It's also a much smaller screen that the iPad. With the lack of amazon services available here such as prime it'll be used at severly limited capacity. By prime I mean the full service such as movie rentals

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Gadge

Feck sake I only bought a Kindle for myself & my aunt lately, I hadn't heard of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Hardly as good as a 32GB TouchPad with kindle app though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

How is this a bargain alert?

Gadge wrote: »
    Feck sake I only bought a Kindle for myself & my aunt lately, I hadn't heard of these.

I wouldn't worry tablets make a poor book reader, so if you bought it for reading books then you bought the right product, you won't be charging it every 7 hours, the e-ink will be a LOT easier on your eyes and you'll be able to finish a book without people 'just' checking their email, playing angry birds or popping onto bargain alerts for 'a minute'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Doodah7

dvpower wrote: »
    How is this a bargain alert?

Agreed, where is the bargain alert in this thread??

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

Kindle is €120, want to see how much the Touch is, awfully tempted.

• Advertisement

tallpaul wrote: »
    Agreed, where is the bargain alert in this thread??

Read the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

They are still current and still a good device IMHO. They have now introduced the new Touch one below it but spec's not as high for storage and battery etc... but does have touch screen and is lighter:o

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Gadge

Good points guys, thanks.

Plus I prefer a real keyboard anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

very disappointed, thought it was going to be a proper tablet, not just a Kindle with an outdated version of Android thrown in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Onikage wrote: »
    Hardly as good as a 32GB TouchPad with kindle app though?

no TP is much better but tis awful hard to get your hands on a touchpad these days

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Good points guys, thanks.

Plus I prefer a real keyboard anyway.
    Also the "Touch" has done away with the forward/back buttons.

I think you have to touch the screen to change page. :pac:

MADNESS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Dades wrote: »
    Also the "Touch" has done away with the forward/back buttons.

I think you have to touch the screen to change page. :pac:

MADNESS.

On most tablets and reader apps you can use the volume keys (most tablets have those at least) to change pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

I can't tell for sure but I don't see volume controls in the pictures and I'm not sure if you can use them to change the page on a kindle anyway. I was wondering if you were going to have to touch the screen to change the pages when I first saw the thing. Seems odd but I'd have to try it I guess. The buttons they have on the side these days are so small though that they could have just included them. I will say that I often find myself holding the kindle along its top where there aren't any buttons so it could be handy in that regard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

When will the Kindle Touch be released? And will it be much of an improvement on the latest model?

• Advertisement

Looks like the amazon silk is just a datamining excercise to at best target you with crap at worst its going to intercept even your https traffic. Stay well clear ...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/29/amazon_silk_looks_phormulaic/

Advertisement