Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strava Boards.ie Club

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

If the admin of the strava club still posts here could I ask him to remove this person from boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭Shedite27

It's not Marcio Orlando by any chance?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057345941

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

ROK ON wrote: »
    They must be a follower to do this

nope, you can block anyone. just tried it there with a few randomers on a random segment. Can open any athletes page and block them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

ROK ON wrote: »
    Hi

Can you block a person on Strava. There is a person in Brazil who I don't know who gives me kudos for commutes. It drives me bananas. What type of loser gives kudos to random individuals.

Maybe you're just very good at going to work and he appreciates your efforts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

There is a person in Brazil who I don't know who gives me kudos for commutes.
    It's not Marcio Orlando by any chance?

I have politely but assertively asked him to stop, in both English and Portugese. Second time it worked :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭12 element

It's a shame there's not some form of screening members of the boards Strava club. The leader boards are pretty pointless when most of the top guys are members of every club going!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

He's at it with myself also - usually on mundane rides! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Who doesn't like getting Kudos? I couldn't care where they come from! The things that bother some people....
    And asking them to stop is just plain old mean just block them if they are bothering you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

what difference does it make? marcio kudoing my efforts too, before him it was Manuel Jaou or something like that from Portugal, would kudo 30 min easy recovery run.

makes no odds, and they're not charging for them

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

He's got me too. What harm if he wants to kudos my 30 min recovery spin

• Advertisement

I don't like getting kudos for insignificant rides. I like getting them for some real efforts I've done.

And I don't like the fact that someone is only giving me them in anticipation of getting some back. And looking at this chap, he is a real kudos harvester, especially that his rides are really non-rides. This spoils the whole thing.
    And asking them to stop is just plain old mean

I don't understand why.
    just block them

I would, I don't know how.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Is it too much to expect when its free ? Does premium have better privacy ?

I do not expect much from Strava (blocking or group moderation would be nice), but rather decency from other users.

[edit] Oops, I have just figured out how to block an user. Case closed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

For anyone who doesn't know, you can block anyone. Go to their profile page, press on the cog/settings icon, and then select block from the menu

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Alek wrote: »
    I do not expect much from Strava (blocking or group moderation would be nice), but rather decency from other users.

[edit] Oops, I have just figured out how to block an user. Case closed.

giving someone kudos is now indecent?

One mans effort to make friends is anothers unsavory stalker - depends on the culture I guess.

Also, in Brazilian cities cycle commuting is a different thing altogether. Its much more dangerous than in European cities. Maybe a kudos for commuting in Brazil is quite meaningful.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/gulliver/2010/08/cycling_brazil

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭calistro

Held a door open for a little old lady this morning, fella behind me said "Kudo's to you sir"..........I punched him in his fat face, how bloody dare he, I don't even know him:)

True story;)

giving someone kudos is now indecent?

I do it sometimes too if I see an epic ride on Strava. But clicking Kudos like there's in no tomorrow, for everything single thing you find, is just destroying the original idea of expressing your respect for extraordinary effort or achievement.

The Marcio chap we are talking about has 34857 kudos for 700 odd rides. How many he must have given to get so many back?

Its a matter of proportion. And taste.
    One mans effort to make friends

"Friends" in a facebook way? Thanks but no thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

For anyone who doesn't know, you can block anyone. Go to their profile page, press on the cog/settings icon, and then select block from the menu

This used not to work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Alek wrote: »
    I don't like getting kudos for insignificant rides. I like getting them for some real efforts I've done.

I think most people would be like that, in fairness.

But...

I've found myself saying "fair play to ya" vis the Strava Kudos button to people getting on their bikes (in Dublin/Ireland) when I know the weather is totally brutal at this time of year. Even if it is a commute.

I'm off the bike at the mo due to illness but there were a few mornings in the not so distant past that rule 5 would have to have been applied.

Fair play to anyone heading out.

If I wasn't sick... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I haven't been on Strava long, I never paid much attention to the whole Kudos thing. I don't think I've given any out and I definitely haven't received any. I'm part of the club and some of the stuff people are doing is very impressive but I have no idea who anyone is so I'd feel odd giving them kudos, I'd be afraid they'd think I was a freak.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

kudos should be strictly reserved to 100km+ and/or 1500m climbing :)
    or something else epically good like turkey http://www.strava.com/activities/97090517

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Just out of interest, is there no way to make the Boards club private, so that it's only Boardsies? Seems an awful lot of guys abroad who never seem to frequent the forum... maybe they're former users....

.....or something else epically good like turkey http://www.strava.com/activities/97090517
    Now that's seriously impressive and worthy or a kudos from complete strangers! :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

rizzodun wrote: »
    Just out of interest, is there no way to make the Boards club private, so that it's only Boardsies? Seems an awful lot of guys abroad who never seem to frequent the forum... maybe they're former users....

It should be restricted to those with 800 posts or more ;)

rizzodun wrote: »
    colm18 wrote: »
    It should be restricted to those with 800 posts or more ;)
    ....or insist that at least one ride per year must be in the country where the 'club' is based (i.e. for non-worldwide based clubs). That would hinder most of them and would accommodate most natives living abroad.

Just create a new club, mark as private and send out an invitation message to all recognized usernames.

Then restrict new applications to a certain post count.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Ive emailed sträva before about removing the members but no response..at all.. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Maybe message all members of the "club" asking for skull measurements and then decide which are the pure Boards members. Don't let anymore in then unless they can answer a number of questions based on a knowledge of the Boards Cycling forum like "How many bikes does Beasty have and how much is their total value?"

If you notice someone who has snuck into the club and has not got the correct skull measurements as required under club law, shop them to your local SS (Strava Security) and make sure they are removed from the club, keeping it purely for Boards members.

Remember it's your club, you worked on it and spaced over it so only people you want there should be allowed in. Otherwise RS just pure chaos with people claiming KOMs which aren't actually theirs, not working for them like you did, probably using alone if this turbo trainer scams.

All non-babards members should have a stamp on their profile so as to be easily recognised as such.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭G1032

Who'd have thought a simple Kudos would generate such a discussion.

If all I had to worry about was not getting a Kudos wouldn't life be just grand?

Advertisement