Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strava Boards.ie Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

I was a premium member for a month. Wasn't much use tbh. Being able to view leaderboards by age made me feel slightly better for a few minutes.

I wish they would fix the issue with the iPhone App where they can't verify elevations in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

daragh_ wrote: »
    I was a premium member for a month. Wasn't much use tbh. Being able to view leaderboards by age made me feel slightly better for a few minutes.

I wish they would fix the issue with the iPhone App where they can't verify elevations in Europe.

.....just cycle where you know there are no hills:)

I've wondered about "levelling up" for premium membership for a while (after my ridewithgps membership expires), but based on the last few posts it seems you don't get a whole lot more for your money.

Is there anything to commend the premium membership?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Jawgap wrote: »
    .....just cycle where you know there are no hills:)

I've wondered about "levelling up" for premium membership for a while (after my ridewithgps membership expires), but based on the last few posts it seems you don't get a whole lot more for your money.

Is there anything to commend the premium membership?

Recommend Strava to a diff email address of yours via

http://app.strava.com/invites/new

Log off Strava. Register with your new email address. Log off Strava. Log back in on your normal details. You will have 1 months free premium membership, see what you think and decide accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

http://app.strava.com/rapha/turkey

New challenge for ye

9000 cals in 5 days :eek:

"Get on your bike fatty"

9000 cal is 2 wicklow 200's for me :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I simply don't have the time to avg 80km a day for 5 days. Good job I don't celebrate Thanksgiving eh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Inquitus wrote: »
    I simply don't have the time to avg 80km a day for 5 days. Good job I don't celebrate Thanksgiving eh!
    Big ask alright. Though if I still commuted on the road bike, I could double my commute each way, that gives me 40km each for the three days, then I only have to do two spins of 140km each at the weekend.

:/

Some of us have jobs and families like. Maybe a two-week, 10,000 calories challenge would have been more realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

In fairness, it's a US site, and most of them be off from Wed/Thursday to Mon/Tuesday next week.

And as someone who mostly works with US clients, I will be giving thanks myself. Best non-holiday weekend of the year!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Oops, cycled half way home the other night and my rear wheel went out of joint, pulled into my other work place where my car was, and drover the rest of the way, did not turn off strava, still came second on the hill climb (clutch issues with the automatic is my excuse).

Cycled up it last night into strong head wind and dropped 13 places. SOB.

Bearna Way is the climb by the way.

Just went for a browse of the website today, all my climbs, I progressed today but one guy called Eric Downey is the leader in all of them, Late new year resolution, to claim that title.

EDIT: He is also a boards.ie club member, so at least he/you knows I am coming :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Isn't he the lad who won the last Hillclimb TT?

• Advertisement

joker77 wrote: »
    Isn't he the lad who won the last Hillclimb TT?

Crap, the speed he done that I may take back the gauntlet I threw down.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Gary 'seve65' Cooper was the top Boardsie and finished in 284th in the men’s competition with 127,946 meters of climbing.

I finished in 817th in the men’s and 4th Boardsie with 84,884 meters of climbing. Pleased enough with that and finished the year with 10,450km on the bike.

Over 7,500 cyclists worldwide took part, so well done seve65.

Edit....Boards.ie finished 26th of 1019 clubs in the club competition.

jimm wrote: »
    Edit....Boards.ie finished 26th of 1019 clubs in the club competition.

tumblr_ltu887TfU81r5oq5ro3_400.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

CramCycle wrote: »
    Just went for a browse of the website today, all my climbs, I progressed today but one guy called Eric Downey is the leader in all of them, Late new year resolution, to claim that title.

EDIT: He is also a boards.ie club member, so at least he/you knows I am coming :P

That's me, which climb are you talking about?

That's me, which climb are you talking about?

Everyone I take part in :P

Bearna Way, the forest 5kmTT, Stepaside lane etc, etc.

Just don't up your game for a month to give me a fighting chance of coming second.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭cantalach

jimm wrote: »
    Gary 'seve65' Cooper was the top Boardsie and finished in 284th in the men’s competition with 127,946 meters of climbing.

Top stuff from Gary alright...but Ryan Sherlock is also a boardsie and he finished 4th overall for 2011 with 363,585m climbing!

cantalach wrote: »
    Top stuff from Gary alright...but Ryan Sherlock is also a boardsie and he finished 4th overall for 2011 with 363,585m climbing!
    he's not in the boards club though...

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

Sorry but I'm too lazy to read 10 pages of posts....I presume it's ok to join the club on Strava? I only recently joined it.

Thanks,
    Lewis.

Lucifer-0 wrote: »
    Sorry but I'm too lazy to read 10 pages of posts....I presume it's ok to join the club on Strava? I only recently joined it.

Thanks,
    Lewis.

No reason why not.

NB first KOM heading into a headwind and then a crosswind, Mr. Grieves, I'll be right behind you soon (that sounded weirder than I thought). Crosswind caught me at the bottom of Bearna Way, can definitely improve on that time. Won't beat your time but can definitely gain 6 seconds on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Neil

I joined up, now to actually get on the bike... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

No reason why not.

Joined.

I look forward to dedicating my life to trying (and failing) to beat some randomers segment times.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

No reason why not.

NB first KOM heading into a headwind and then a crosswind, Mr. Grieves, I'll be right behind you soon (that sounded weirder than I thought). Crosswind caught me at the bottom of Bearna Way, can definitely improve on that time. Won't beat your time but can definitely gain 6 seconds on it.

be a devil, aim for 7 seconds :)

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

It would appear from a recent Strava blog that smartphone applications should be able to work for the KOM. I can't confirm this myself (yet) and the KOM faq has not changed but this would be great if true especially for the Boards.ie total.
    Now Serving Up: Elevation
    Posted by Strava Admin on December 19th, 2011

Good news! We’ve improved the reliability and accuracy of our elevation data and its geographic coverage. If you’re located in the United States, your elevation data has just become more accurate. And if you’re a Strava cyclist or runner outside of the United States (between latitudes 70North and 70South) without barometer-equipped devices, you will now see some exciting new stats after you upload your activity!

Riders wordwide, you will now see your elevation gain and estimated power on your ride page, and runners worldwide, you will now see elevation gain and grade adjusted pace on your run page. What’s more, this elevation data lets you compete in future Strava challenges having to do with gaining elevation, so let the global climbing competitions begin!

We hope that this new and improved activity analysis is as useful as we think it’s going to be. If you have any feedback, please let us know by visiting support.strava.com.

Our international data is licensed from CIAT-CSI.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

Strava have a new challenge up on their site for those who are interested.

Strava Ride Base Mile Blast

Kick off the New Year with some serious sweat. From January 6-31, you’re challenged to ride as many miles as you can. Put on those base miles, start the suffering early and build your foundation for 2012. Surprises are in store for the most dedicated competitors, so get ready to haul.

http://app.strava.com/challenges/ride-base-mile-blast

First and last time I'm on the front page 99th out of 100 :pac:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,318 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Dubba wrote: »

101st out of 2,008 participants, topdammit, I'm 2nd Irish based rider and around top 10 European - I'm going to retire while I'm ahead in this one (and before everyone else uploads their rides) ...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

Beasty wrote: »
    Dubba wrote: »

101st out of 2,008 participants, topdammit, I'm 2nd Irish based rider and around top 10 European - I'm going to retire while I'm ahead in this one (and before everyone else uploads their rides) ...:D

I'm also 101st and have been for the last few hours. I'm beginning to think that if you are not in the top 100 then you are down as being 101st on the table.
    And I thought I was doing so well....

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,318 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

HaHa

We're all 101st:D

Your actual rank is shown in the top right hand corner - I'm down to 154 now but was in the 110-120 range earlier - I suspect I probably was about 101st at some stage;)

Beasty wrote: »
    (and before everyone else uploads their rides) ...:D

Weekend spins tomorrow, I see the mileage jumping quite fast come tomorrow evening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

I'm in. Hoping for a better result than the Rapha 500 .

Advertisement